All Things Ohio Golf

Comments

• teejaywhyteejaywhy Official GolfWRX Curmudgeon Members Posts: 7,168 ✭✭
    golfballz wrote:

golfballz wrote:

Any other WRXers play at Golf Club of Dublin, west of Columbus?

I almost played there when I was in Colombus for a summer baseball tournament but that probably wouldn't look good whacking golf balls around on the day of one of our baseball games. Kinda wish I would've now after the fact.

You definitely should man - great links course!

A links course with water hazards on 17 of 18 holes ?

image/russian_roulette.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':russian_roulette:' />
  • DaSportsGuyDaSportsGuy Members Posts: 947
    tjy355 wrote:

golfballz wrote:

golfballz wrote:

I almost played there when I was in Colombus for a summer baseball tournament but that probably wouldn't look good whacking golf balls around on the day of one of our baseball games. Kinda wish I would've now after the fact.

That is just brutal! Haha
    Boulder Creek...

Has anyone played there? I really want to play there sometime next season. Maybe we could get a foursome together and play there sometime next spring or summer.
  • nikegolfer1983nikegolfer1983 Members Posts: 2,062 ✭✭
    I have heard boulder creek is pretty good, never played it thought.
  • KYMARKYMAR Members Posts: 13,257 ✭✭
    Boulder creek is absolutely fantastic. As is Fowlers Mill.

I'll play either anytime, please be considerate though, i will need at least 30 minutes notice. image/clapping.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':clapping:' />
    Callaway XR Pro Attas Tour SPX X
    Taylormade Tour issue 15* V Steel 3 wood
    Hybrid undecided
    Cobra Amp Cell Pro's (All MB) 4-GW Project X Rifle 6.0
    Cleveland CG15 56 and 60
    White Hot 6 Long Neck
    KYMAR wrote:

Boulder creek is absolutely fantastic. As is Fowlers Mill.

I'll play either anytime, please be considerate though, i will need at least 30 minutes notice. image/clapping.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':clapping:' />

Hahaha! That's my kind of golfer right there!
  • mrjrsmrjrs Members Posts: 296

tjy355 wrote:

golfballz wrote:

golfballz wrote:

Love the course, though
  • evoviiiyouevoviiiyou evoviiiyou Members Posts: 1,999 ✭✭
    High school and college in Michigan and recently moved to the Cleveland area a few years ago and trying to make it home. Courses I have found here that I play most are Shale Creek, Pine hills, Grey Hawk and Fowlers Mill. Private CC that a play is Canterbury, as my business partner is a member. Courses I miss in Michigan are Shepherds Hollow, Black Heath, Pine Hills and really miss the golf dome off I75 in Auburn Hills near Great Lakes crossing mall.

Thanks for the post a few back on the Cleveland area golf dome! Gonna hit that when I am on the east side for sure!

Mizuno ST190 10.5/ Fuji Speeder TR 661S/ PURE Wrap BLK
    Mizuno ST190TS 15/ Fuji Speeder TR 757S/ PURE Wrap BLK
    Mizuno JPX FliHi 19/ Modus Tour 130S/ PURE Wrap WHT
    Taylor Made P790 4-PW Modus Tour 130S/ PURE Wrap BLK
    Mizuno S18 Wedges 50&56/ Modus 120S/ PURE Wrap BLK
    SeeMore M1B/ Satin Black Conti Golf/ Super Stroke Slim CC

• BuckeyeGolfer   BuckeyeGolfer Members Posts: 548 ✭✭
    Checking in from Columbus.
  • joekellijoekelli A member of the exclusive "Kingdom 14" Members Posts: 2,620 ✭✭

Boulder Creek...

Has anyone played there? I really want to play there sometime next season. Maybe we could get a foursome together and play there sometime next spring or summer.

Boulder is a great layout. It reminds me of some myrtle beach courses but with more elevation change. It plays a little shorter than the listed yardage because most of the tee's are elevated. They usually have a deal for $35 for 18 and cart after 3pm.

Also you guys might want to check out Ellsworth Meadows in Hudson. It was remodeled a couple of years ago and is a great track now!
    Ping G LS Tec 9* Oban Devotion 75x
    Callaway Epic 15* Oban Devotion 75x
    Callaway X2Hot pro 20* Tour green 75-X
    TaylorMade RSi2 5-pw CTAPER 130X
    TM EF spin 52, 56 & 60
    Putter- TM JD Spider s
    Machine M2A converter
    Ball- [font=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Kirkland Signature or TM TP5 x[/font]
    WITB Link
    joekelli wrote:

Boulder Creek...

Boulder is a great layout. It reminds me of some myrtle beach courses but with more elevation change. It plays a little shorter than the listed yardage because most of the tee's are elevated. They usually have a deal for $35 for 18 and cart after 3pm.

Also you guys might want to check out Ellsworth Meadows in Hudson. It was remodeled a couple of years ago and is a great track now!

Ellsworth Meadows is on my list of places to play next season. I've looked on their website a couple times and it looks like a really nice track.
  • Carolina Golfer 2Carolina Golfer 2 Members Posts: 9,103 ✭✭

I will be in the Cleveland area the first weekend of December. I'm guessing by then I'd be better off bringing my ice fishing gear instead of the clubs?

Did you bring your sticks to Cleveland this weekend? It ended up being a pretty decent weekend for golf, considering it is December. I played 18 Saturday at Good Park in Akron and would have played Sunday before the rain, but had a free ticket to the Browns game.

No I didn't. But you're right Saturday was entirely playable, very nice for December in Cleveland. However once it started raining on Sunday afternoon It didn't stop untill I left on Tuesday.

Sunday I went to the game but left before halftime. Had great seats behind the Raven's bench but even with a very good ski jacket, I was pretty wet. Made it back to the hotel in time for most of the second half.

One thing I will say about my visit to Cleveland and the stadium. You guys seem to be great passionite fans, that feel even more disgruntled and discouraged about the Browns than us Redskins fans image/smile.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

I was listening to some Cleveland Sports Talk show on Monday and the host was going through the list of cities that have less hope than Cleveland (football team wise) and the only one he said that came close was Washington. I couldn't disagree to much on that.
    PING G410+ 10.5 CK Tensi Orange 65g
    PING G410 FW SFT 3, 7 and  G410 9 
    PING G410 Hybrid 5, 6
    PING G410 7-P KBS Tour 105 
    PING Glide 2.0  50, 54, 58
    PING Tyne 4 35"

• DomenicC36DomenicC36 Members Posts: 133 ✭✭
    Im from the Youngstown area. Any info on leagues/tournaments this season!?

Also. Ive played Boulder Creek. My friend and I took advantage of the twilight special, 35 with cart after 3pm ( I HATE riding). The course was in immaculate shape. Tons of scoring opportunities by means of short par 4 and 5's. The Par 3's are, admittedly rather tough. However number 17, is a par 3. It's somewhat of a semi island green. What a beautiful hole. Also number 18 is absurdly hard, from the tees my friend and I played it was like 600+ I layed up, TWICE! haha. made bogey though image/smile.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' /> It was something like driver, 3wood,8iron, SW, putt,putt haha. I did, however, find myself hitting hybrid/2 iron stinger off a lot of par 4 tees. Fun, very well kept course!

I play Kennsington rather often, matter of fact an old high school friend works in the proshop. My friend and I like it there a lot. Love the lay out. He and I are have exactly opposite play styles. I lay up and play for par on most par 5's and he is a John Daly type player who goes all out. This course fits both of our eyes. Again, tons of scoring opportunity's coming by way of short par 4's and 3's. There is a great par 3 with a goat located to the left side of the hole. Also, I find myself hitting 3wood on a lot of these par 4's to leave myself with a full shot in rather than hitting driver being at an awkward distance and guess with a SW.
    NE Ohio Golfers! Be sure to check out this thread: [url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/553813-small-group-of-wrxers/"]Click Here![/url]

Looking to get a foursome together to go around and play some of the top public courses in the area! We'll be playing Fowler's Mill, Boulder Creek, Kennsington, Windmill Lakes, and a couple others! Should be a good time and since we'll limit it to a foursome, we can be very accommodating as far as scheduling our tee times!
  • SilverBulletsSilverBullets BMW Members Posts: 5,885 ✭✭

tjy355 wrote:

golfballz wrote:

golfballz wrote:

Its funny I actually hate the Golf Club of Dublin. There are alot better value public courses in Columbus than GCoD. It used to be really nice but when I played there in September it was pretty **** beat up. The course is also pretty poorly managed. I may play there once a year but thats it..

Personally I'd rather play Northstar, Winding Hollow, **** even Delaware golf club than Golf Club of Dublin.

My favorite public course in town (well relatively in-town) is Cook's Creek. Unfortunately the maintenance has gone way down hill since Northstar opened. Not sure how closely tied management is of the courses so it may just be a transcendence. Personally I think Cook's is a blast of a track.
    Taylormade M6 10.5* - HZRDUS Smoke Black 6.5
    Taylormade '16 M2 15*
    Titleist 816h 21*
    Callaway Apex 4i thru PW - Nippon Modus 125 Tour X
    Vokey SM6 50*, 54*, 58*
    Scotty Cameron Circa 62 No. 2 - Scotty Custom Shop
    Hopefully the "un-snowy" weather is here in the spring so we can get an early start to the golfing season!
  • HifadeHifade Sleepin' on the job. Slacker! Dayton, OHCharter Members Posts: 5,335 ✭✭
    I'm checking in from the Dayton area and transplanted from Illinois. I'm up for any interstate competition and can travel, so let me know who, where and when and I'm in.
    PING G400 MAX 9* - MITZ TENSEI PRO ORANGE 
    CALLAWAY EPIC FLASH SZ 15* - HZRDUS 6.5 Smoke
    PING G410 10* - MITZ TENSEI PRO ORANGE
    TITLEIST 20* 815 Hybrid - Fuji HB 8.8 Tour Spec
    CALLAWAY '19 Smoke APEX 4-PW - KBS TOUR V "S" (HSx1)
    CALLAWAY MD4 48* S Grind - ORIGINAL PX Satin 5.5 (HSx1)
    CALLAWAY RAW MD4 54* X & 58* X - ORIGINAL PX Satin 5.5's (HSx1)
    ODYSSEY STROKE LAB EXO 7S - CUSTOM
    SCOTTY CAMERON 2001 3x Chocolate TOUR NEWPORT BEACH (1 of 3)
    BRIDGESTONE B330 Tour #1's
  • SilverBulletsSilverBullets BMW Members Posts: 5,885 ✭✭

Hopefully the "un-snowy" weather is here in the spring so we can get an early start to the golfing season!

haah we've got quite a ways to go before we can consider it 'unsnowy'.... Most of the large snows in Ohio happen in Jan/Feb. Mother Nature still has plenty of time to get rowdy.
    Taylormade M6 10.5* - HZRDUS Smoke Black 6.5
    Taylormade '16 M2 15*
    Titleist 816h 21*
    Callaway Apex 4i thru PW - Nippon Modus 125 Tour X
    Vokey SM6 50*, 54*, 58*
    Scotty Cameron Circa 62 No. 2 - Scotty Custom Shop
    Hifade wrote:

I'm checking in from the Dayton area and transplanted from Illinois. I'm up for any interstate competition and can travel, so let me know who, where and when and I'm in.

Bring it! image/partytime2.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':partytime2:' />

Haha, we'll have to get something planned for next season!

haah we've got quite a ways to go before we can consider it 'unsnowy'.... Most of the large snows in Ohio happen in Jan/Feb. Mother Nature still has plenty of time to get rowdy.

Yea, and unfortunately for us golfers, I've heard this winter is gonna be one of the worst we've had in a while. Not looking like it yet, but it's still early like you said.
    Kymar, you ever played Ellsworth Meadows? Or anyone else?

It's halfway in-between both of us so if it's any good we can play there sometime next season if you're up for it. I'm really looking forward to playing with you and other WRX'ers at The Quarry!
  • joekellijoekelli A member of the exclusive "Kingdom 14" Members Posts: 2,620 ✭✭
    I have played Ellsworth a few times since they remodeled it. It is a nice layout and conditions are really good. I used to play my high school golf there when it was named "Big Springs". I won the club championship when i was 15 years old!!!! The back nine is now the front nine and it has not changed a whole lot. The new back nine has 4 new holes I think and is great finishing nine.
    TM EF spin 52, 56 & 60
    Putter- TM JD Spider s
    Machine M2A converter
    WITB Link
  • golfballzgolfballz Members Posts: 289
    edited Dec 17, 2011 #54
    [color="#ff0000"][/quote]

[/quote]

Its funny I actually hate the Golf Club of Dublin. There are alot better value public courses in Columbus than GCoD. It used to be really nice but when I played there in September it was pretty **** beat up. The course is also pretty poorly managed. I may play there once a year but thats it..

Personally I'd rather play Northstar, Winding Hollow, **** even Delaware golf club than Golf Club of Dublin.

My favorite public course in town (well relatively in-town) is Cook's Creek. Unfortunately the maintenance has gone way down hill since Northstar opened. Not sure how closely tied management is of the courses so it may just be a transcendence. Personally I think Cook's is a blast of a track.

[/quote]

[/color]

[size="2"]I would agree that Cooks and NOrthstar may be better maintained... But with the Membership to GCoD through the Arnold Palmer Mgmt company, GCoD is WAYYY more affordable than any of the others you mentioned. PLUS I live 3 minutes from GCoD! [/size]
    joekelli wrote:

I have played Ellsworth a few times since they remodeled it. It is a nice layout and conditions are really good. I used to play my high school golf there when it was named "Big Springs". I won the club championship when i was 15 years old!!!! The back nine is now the front nine and it has not changed a whole lot. The new back nine has 4 new holes I think and is great finishing nine.

Uhh, Joes on my team!

Actually No I haven't played there. it's truly AMAZING how this thread has opened my eyes to the number of courses that are within and hour or an hour and a half that I have not only never played, but never even heard of.

I am very very excited for next season already. I really hope to take my game to the next level. I have started a nutrition plan, I am working out more than I did last winter (which means working out at all) and i am commited to hitting the golf dome at least weekly for the next month/6 weeks then more as we get closer to the season.

Snow sucks
    Hybrid undecided
    Cleveland CG15 56 and 60
    White Hot 6 Long Neck
    KYMAR wrote:

joekelli wrote:

Uhh, Joes on my team!

Actually No I haven't played there. it's truly AMAZING how this thread has opened my eyes to the number of courses that are within and hour or an hour and a half that I have not only never played, but never even heard of.

I am very very excited for next season already. I really hope to take my game to the next level. I have started a nutrition plan, I am working out more than I did last winter (which means working out at all) and i am commited to hitting the golf dome at least weekly for the next month/6 weeks then more as we get closer to the season.

Snow sucks

I plan on hitting the dome once I can start swinging the clubs again(left shoulder surgery this coming Monday). Maybe we can meet up and hit a few in a couple of months?
    TM EF spin 52, 56 & 60
    Putter- TM JD Spider s
    Machine M2A converter
    WITB Link
    Any of the guys in Cincy know of any golf dome or heated ranges nearby? I'll be just outside Cincy in Loveland for New Years' and would love to get some swings in while I'm down there.
    edited Dec 18, 2011 #58

Any of the guys in Cincy know of any golf dome or heated ranges nearby? I'll be just outside Cincy in Loveland for New Years' and would love to get some swings in while I'm down there.

Indoor dome? Dude you will be in Cincy! Just wake up in 2012, shake off your hang over, hop in your car and drive south until you see an open golf course! image/clapping.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':clapping:' />

EDIT: I just realized you aren't even 21 so there will be no hangover to contend with right?

Absolutely Joe, I live 5 minutes away from it. Anytime you are back to full strength. Good luck with your surgery. LISTEN to your Dr and Physical therapist. no cheating! I have something going on with my right shoulder. I get a pain when i move it certain ways and it's making me nervous. I did hit yesterday and swinging didn't bother it i just hope this is no harbinger of things to come.
    Hybrid undecided
    Cleveland CG15 56 and 60
    White Hot 6 Long Neck
    edited Dec 18, 2011 #59
    KYMAR wrote:

Indoor dome? Dude you will be in Cincy! Just wake up in 2012, shake off your hang over, hop in your car and drive south until you see an open golf course! image/clapping.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':clapping:' />

EDIT: I just realized you aren't even 21 so there will be no hangover to contend with right?
    Haha...ugh...maybe...image/blind.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':blind:' /> image/biggrin.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':D' />

I'm going with the rest of the family so maybe I can snag the car for the day since we're not driving seperate.
  • HifadeHifade Sleepin' on the job. Slacker! Dayton, OHCharter Members Posts: 5,335 ✭✭
    Speaking of domes......I'm shocked that I can't find a single dome from Dayton to Cincy to Columbus. Having relocated to the Dayton area from Chicago 2 years ago where we had at least 5 domes, it's pretty depressing around here.
    PING G400 MAX 9* - MITZ TENSEI PRO ORANGE 
    CALLAWAY EPIC FLASH SZ 15* - HZRDUS 6.5 Smoke
    PING G410 10* - MITZ TENSEI PRO ORANGE
    TITLEIST 20* 815 Hybrid - Fuji HB 8.8 Tour Spec
    CALLAWAY '19 Smoke APEX 4-PW - KBS TOUR V "S" (HSx1)
    CALLAWAY MD4 48* S Grind - ORIGINAL PX Satin 5.5 (HSx1)
    CALLAWAY RAW MD4 54* X & 58* X - ORIGINAL PX Satin 5.5's (HSx1)
    ODYSSEY STROKE LAB EXO 7S - CUSTOM
    SCOTTY CAMERON 2001 3x Chocolate TOUR NEWPORT BEACH (1 of 3)
    BRIDGESTONE B330 Tour #1's
    joekelli wrote:

KYMAR wrote:

joekelli wrote:

Uhh, Joes on my team!

Snow sucks

I plan on hitting the dome once I can start swinging the clubs again(left shoulder surgery this coming Monday). Maybe we can meet up and hit a few in a couple of months?

Are you talking about the dome in Cleveland? I've never been there but how is it if you have? It says on their website they have an instantaneous distance measurement and I was wondering how accurate that is.