Iron Covers

Carlo

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I use them all the time. I currently use the old style face saver irons and find that they really keep the irons looking new. Which is important if you ever plan on selling your clubs since you'll get more money for them. Plus I hate the sound of clubs banging against each other.

Taylormade M2 9.5* Graphite Design GP 6s
Taylormade M2 15* Graphite Design DJ 7x
Taylormade M1 17* and 21* Graphite Design Tour AD-GT 85s
Miura PP-9003 5-PW Nippon Ns Pro Modus 3 120 stiff
Titleist forged Vokey 50, 54, 58 wedges Nippon Ns Pro Modus 120
Scotty Cameron 009 beached 350 gram

I've used them for transportation, and years ago on some 81 Staffs. BTW, they still look beautiful.

I played with a guy who used them on Pings, and didn't really understand that. But, I have no problem with anyone using them anywhere.

I've read about players here, and on other forums, who buy clubs and don't hit them because they're so new and pretty. Or, they don't play them b/c they're worried about resale? To me, that's A LOT weirder than iron covers.

Taylormade 16' M2 9.5º (Tensei 60 Orange R)

Taylormade 17' M1 HL3 17º (Kuro Kage 70 S)

Titleist 910H 21º and 24º (Stock Diamana Kai'li R)

Srixon 745 5-PW (TT DG Lite S300)

Titleist Vokey SM4 50.08F, 54.14F, 58.09S

Titleist SC PP Del Mar 3.5, Odyssey WH Pro 7, Cleveland HB Soft 11.

Royal M Taper 360's

Yes I use them, some people think it's sad, but I'm not a tour pro and don't get clubs free!!!

To me they do 2 things

1 - Keep the clubs free from damage from rattling around.

2 - Stops all bag chatter whilst walking.

For me it's a no-brainer, forged clubs = lots of dings, iron covers = no dings.

I Agree.

....and if you're going to sell forged irons, they're worth a lot more if they have fewer or no dings. I love the critics who think it's absurd to use covers--I wonder which irons they'd pay more for--battle scarred irons with dings, or irons in great shape!!

Agreed. Sometimes the argument is given: "Pros don't use them". Well, pros are paid to let people see what they are playing, and can get new clubs for free any time they want. Those who think they are dweeby to use haven't bought my clubs for me, but would pay less for them if I was selling them with a bunch of "battle scars". It also is annoying to hear someone carrying their clubs without iron covers walk down the course. Click, click, click.......like a dripping faucet that's hard to ignore.

I don't have anything against golfers who want to use head covers on their irons so that the irons stay in resaleable shape; heck, with the price of a good set of irons these days, covering them might mean the difference of a couple hundred bucks in resale value. Some golfers like their equipment to look 'new' all of the time, which is fine, too.

That being said, I don't cover my irons, but they are a cheap-o set (Acuity), anyhow. I kind of like the look of old clubs, especially irons, that show some use...just me, I guess. Maybe if I had a set of premier irons I would worry more about their looks, but then again I suspect that I wouldn't, if past experience is any indicator...I cover my 1 and 3 woods (but not my hybrid and 7 wood), but they even have dings and such.

I look at golf clubs like I do cars, your car only stays new for a few weeks, until the first rock dings the front bumper, then it shows signs of use. I enjoy a new car as much as the next guy, but cars and golf clubs are made for use and they will show their use through the months and years.

As for the clicking of the irons as I walk the course...I hear this everywhere I golf. It is a part of the game...I try to stop walking when I am close to someone on an adjoining fairway taking a shot, out of courtesy. Frankly, the sound of a golf cart whizzing by is much louder, let alone the sound of the clubs clanking around in two bags on the back of the cart.

I used Iron Covers all the time.

1. I hate the sound of the clubs banging into each other when I walk. Not so much that it might bother someone else's shot as much as it bothers me when I walk.

2. With the cost of clubs out there, I see no point in not protecting them and keeping them looking good for as long as I can. I cover my woods why no cover my Irons.

I don't cover my wedges as I look at wedges as consumables. If they get messed up, that's their job.

Thanks,

Chi Chi Rodriguez said that when he was growing up, when he wanted to hustle someone he would look for the guys with iron covers first. :beach:

Callaway Paradym  9*  Kai Li White
Callaway Paradym  15*  Kai Li Red

Callaway Paradym  20*  Kai Li Red

Ping G425  22*  Alta CB
Ping G425  26*  Alta CB

Ping G425  30*  Alta CB
Ping G425   7 - SW   KBS C-Taper Lite
Odyssey Tank Marxman
Callaway ERC Soft Yellow

....and if you're going to sell forged irons, they're worth a lot more if they have fewer or no dings. I love the critics who think it's absurd to use covers--I wonder which irons they'd pay more for--battle scarred irons with dings, or irons in great shape!!

Exactly! I'm eventually going to sell them, so why not get $200 more by using $10 covers? No brainer!

Follow our Two Guys Talkin Golf (TG2) Podcast on Instagram + Twitter + iTunes + SoundCloud
 Click here to grab a new "circle" avatar

I don't use them and don't buy into the whole resale value thing. Here's why:

http://valueguide.pga.com/detail-exec/bran...20set/m/MP%2060

This link is straight from the PGA Value Guide website, the source for trade-in values used by Golfsmith, Edwin Watts, etc. For resale values, the PGA Value Guide pulls information from eBay sales, 3balls.com, and other industry sources. It's very similar to Kelley Blue Book for automotives.

That said, you will see from the link posted that a set of Mizuno MP 60 irons will range from $473-$556 resale value with steel shafts. I can't see where there is a $200 difference between irons with some bag chatter and those without. Granted a $10-$15 set of iron covers might get you an extra $60-$80 in resale value, but are they worth the trouble?

Again, I'm not making fun of guys who use iron covers. If you like them, use them. I just can't justify using them when after I take one off I'm sticking the club in the grass, dirt, sand, etc. at 80-100 mph. I think that does more damage over time than bag chatter.

This is just my opinion, not a bash, so don't take it as such.

This link is straight from the PGA Value Guide website, the source for trade-in values used by Golfsmith, Edwin Watts, etc. For resale values, the PGA Value Guide pulls information from eBay sales, 3balls.com, and other industry sources. It's very similar to Kelley Blue Book for automotives.

I understand, and this link supports your point, but from my perspective, I was playing Cobra Forged SS with satin finish, Miura CB-301s with upgrade shafts, and now TourStage ViQs. These aren't MP-60s that you can walk out of today from Golfsmith. These are all pretty rare clubs in the grand scheme of things.

If you put a pic up on golfwrx or eBay with bag chatter in 7/10 condition and without in 8.5/10, which picture will win?

As far as club condition goes, pictures tell the whole story. Anyone who buys a club based on an out-of-focus picture, to me, is risking their $$$. I guarantee that people take pics PURPOSEFULLY out-of-focus to falsely claim clubs are in better condition than they are. I'd never do this. I know how to focus a camera.

In addition, the irons just look better when covers are used. Yeah, sure, I'd rather not, but hey if I want to keep them looking sexy, covers are the way to go.

Follow our Two Guys Talkin Golf (TG2) Podcast on Instagram + Twitter + iTunes + SoundCloud
 Click here to grab a new "circle" avatar

I understand, and this link supports your point, but from my perspective, I was playing Cobra Forged SS with satin finish, Miura CB-301s with upgrade shafts, and now TourStage ViQs. These aren't MP-60s that you can walk out of today from Golfsmith. These are all pretty rare clubs in the grand scheme of things.

If you put a pic up on golfwrx or eBay with bag chatter in 7/10 condition and without in 8.5/10, which picture will win?

As far as club condition goes, pictures tell the whole story. Anyone who buys a club based on an out-of-focus picture, to me, is risking their $$$. I guarantee that people take pics PURPOSEFULLY out-of-focus to falsely claim clubs are in better condition than they are. I'd never do this. I know how to focus a camera.

In addition, the irons just look better when covers are used. Yeah, sure, I'd rather not, but hey if I want to keep them looking sexy, covers are the way to go.

Good point with regard to rare clubs. And for sure the 8.5 / 10 will look better than the 7 / 10, which is another discussion in terms of rating clubs. One person's 8 might be another person's 9, vice versa, and so on.

Pictures do speak for themselves. But from what I've seen on eBay, here and other sites, NORMAL bag chatter doesn't significantly affect value. Chrome loss on the face from hitting shots and rock dings and gouges will afftect value much more than normal bag chatter. Bag chatter shouldn't cause a 1.5 point difference in rating a used club. If you've played with a set for a season or more, IMO it should not be rated any higher than a 9 even if iron covers are used. The same set, without using iron covers and showing only normal bag chatter, would probably rate 8 or so, thus the value might be slightly lower. But not $200 lower. Most buyers understand that a used set of forged irons will have bag chatter, thus those sets without bag chatter don't command a significantly higher price.

Please keep in mind I'm not talking about a set of forged irons that has only been played a few rounds. I'm talking about a solid season, 6-8 months, playing once a week with some range time in between.

i've never used iron covers and never will. my irons are expendable items (everything in my bag is expendable!). that said, i do in fact care for them and do not abuse them, but as long as they're working for me now, scratches and bag chatter are not a concern.

someone noted if you don't use covers for irons why use them for the woods/hybrids? simple. because irons don't have a painted surface that you look at when you set up to hit a shot. i definitely keep covers on all my woods and hybrids. it would bother me to look at a bunch of deep nicks and scratches on the top painted portion of these clubs; however, with irons, i can't see the scratches and bag chatter marks at address.

to each their own, anyway. although i completely understand the minds of iron cover users. :beach:

USING IRON COVERS!!!! that is SURE sign of someone that can't play....I have NEVER seen a good golfer use iron covers......just like tennis skirts should only come in size small ----- iron covers should say on the package "for handicaps of 10 or higher"......

Of course, that's exactly what it says about someone. And I suppose a 10 handicapper can't play??

Isn't it something like 5% of golfers are single figures? So odds are most people you see play are 10 handicappers or over.

I've seen plenty of low handicappers use covers and I NEVER class a golfer by his equipment.

response to rbmercer... I use covers because I use forged irons and go through several sets every year....nothing like having new sticks in my hand every several months...that being said, I get a higher value when I sell due to their great shape and I also hate the sound of clubs banging in my bag. I am a 2 handicap, if someone laughs at my iron covers, it's most likely because of the fact that I walked away with their money. Comment about "10 handicap plus using headcovers".... play guys with that attitude and you might get put in your place (on the course that is). To each his own, mind your own game.

Driver - M2/KuroKage xstiff
3 wood - TS2 16.5/KuroKage xstiff
Hybrids - Titleist 918 3/4
Irons - Mizuno 223, Modus 105 Stiff
Wedges - Vokey SM8 - 51, 56, 60
Whitlam/Gauge Design - Coldstar Devon ETBW
Bag - Sun Mountain C-130

Club - WoodenSticks Golf Club

I think some bag chatter adds character to the clubs. Personally i keep all my former iron sets, so resale value was never an issue (don´t like the idea of regreting a sale sometime in the future)

Here in germany it is not very common to carry iron covers, maybe because people here are not that type of club ho´s and keep their irons normally for a long period of time.

no worries rbmercer... just in a bad mood..raining here, no golf today!

Driver - M2/KuroKage xstiff
3 wood - TS2 16.5/KuroKage xstiff
Hybrids - Titleist 918 3/4
Irons - Mizuno 223, Modus 105 Stiff
Wedges - Vokey SM8 - 51, 56, 60
Whitlam/Gauge Design - Coldstar Devon ETBW
Bag - Sun Mountain C-130

Club - WoodenSticks Golf Club