judging players by their bags

MtlJeff

let's just admit we do it, so what would someone say about you?
I just joined a new club, and even though a lot of people say they don't care what others play....i gotta admit, i really do. I always look, and especially at the better players. I always have a peek at what they are playing and wonder what that says about them. For example it's not uncommon to see a low handicapper playing 5 year old wedges or a putter that looks like it's seen better days. There seems to be less "matching" in terms of full sets but some definite matching when it comes to individual segments, like fairways woods or wedges. Irons are always a total crapshoot but most of the low caps at my club seem to play irons that are at least 3-5 years old, showing that the guy has some degree of comfort level with them.

anyway, so what does your bag say about you? Anyone got any general comments on what they see?

I figure if someone looked at mine, they'd probably surmise i was pretty good if they put a little thought into it. I mean i clearly use a forgiving driver, 3 wood and irons, but the fact that i carry a 3 iron over a hybrid would probably be a bit of a hint, also the fact that i have more of a players club 9 iron through my wedges. My wedges are pretty beat up and i have a custom blade putter from a company most people won't have heard of which is probably another good sign. I like to think a junkie would look at my bag and guess that i was a good player who placed a high priority on keeping it in play, which is true

but i can also see how at first glance you could guess that i was a total hack aswell. Anyway....just for fun....what do you think your bag says about your game???
  • Like 1

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

Your clubs tell me you are left handed...

Not sure what my clubs say about me... You could look at them and say I have confidence in an old set of irons... you could look at them and say I'm too cheap to buy new clubs... or I don't care much about golf... If I'm playing well, hopefully you would say "hey, he found the perfect clubs for his swing".

As of  10/11/2021

9 Callaway Mavrk Sub Zero with Ventus Black 7X

13 Degree Srixon 3 wood Project X Black 6.5

19 Degree Sub70 939 Pro with Proforce V2

4 Utility Sub70 699u 22 degree Proforce V2

5-GW Srixon Zx5 with Project X 6.5

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

SeeMore milled Tri-Mallet fit and built at SeeMore 

Everytime when some 15yr olds play white driver i start judging.

lol..

In the Bag:

Driver- M2 9.5° Aldila Rogue Black 60S
Mini Driver- X2hot Pro 12.5° Aldila Tour Green 70S
3 Wood- 915 F 15° Diamana S+ 70S
Hybrid- XR 19°
Irons- Nike Covert Forged 2.0 4-PW
Wedges- Cleveland CG12 50°, 58°
Putter- Oddy#7 White Hot 34"

[quote name='Myherobobhope' timestamp='1320005519' post='3738977']

Not sure what my clubs say about me... You could look at them and say I have confidence in an old set of irons... you could look at them and say I'm too cheap to buy new clubs... or I don't care much about golf... If I'm playing well, hopefully you would say "hey, he found the perfect clubs for his swing".
[/quote]

yeah i wouldn't really know what to expect with you. Really old 3 wood and irons, but a new driver with an upgraded shaft (not right off the rack so i'd think maybe you were fit for it) and classic wedges and putter. Interesting mix for sure. The 49 degree 588 makes me think you've put a little thought into the set though so i'd never think you didn't care much about golf.

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

I always look at what people are playing, mainly because I have a natural interest in golf equipment.

I tend not to judge people by the brands/models of equipment that they play, but more by the manner in which that equioment is looked after i.e. do the clubs look clean and cared for, or do they look like they could have been used to dig a ditch somewhere and have been left to fend for themselves.

Same for bags, headcovers, shoes etc. Nothing worse for me than a pair of golf shoes hat you can barely tell the original colour because the owner has never cleaned them and they live in a dark, mouldy old locker when they're not on the golf course

[quote name='njmack' timestamp='1320005733' post='3738975']
they'd probably think I was a snob
[/quote]

i would guess you are a really good player. Not many hacks have even heard of a purple ice shaft, or would know where to get one. Plus on a vsteel 3 wood? That just screams classic combo and not right off the shelf for sure. MP52's don't come standard with Project X i don't think so you were fit for those. Matching wedges, an odyssey #9 putter is a feel putter

if i saw that bag on the first tee i'd think you were good

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

[quote name='MtlJeff' timestamp='1320006108' post='3738991']
[quote name='Myherobobhope' timestamp='1320005519' post='3738977']

[/quote]

yeah i wouldn't really know what to expect with you. Really old 3 wood and irons, but a new driver with an upgraded shaft (not right off the rack so i'd think maybe you were fit for it) and classic wedges and putter. Interesting mix for sure. The 49 degree 588 makes me think you've put a little thought into the set though so i'd never think you didn't care much about golf.
[/quote]

I'm just getting back into golf, so I'm playing the set I built for myself in high school and buying pieces as I find good fits... actually need to update my profile with my new hybrid.

As of  10/11/2021

9 Callaway Mavrk Sub Zero with Ventus Black 7X

13 Degree Srixon 3 wood Project X Black 6.5

19 Degree Sub70 939 Pro with Proforce V2

4 Utility Sub70 699u 22 degree Proforce V2

5-GW Srixon Zx5 with Project X 6.5

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

SeeMore milled Tri-Mallet fit and built at SeeMore 

[quote name='addictedtoBST' timestamp='1320006832' post='3739061']
anybody who can stand look at g15 irons has a mental problem.

thats what I would think!
[/quote]

by the time i finish my thoughts on your setup you'll have a completely new one from top to bottom LOL!

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

[quote name='Ping_Ho' timestamp='1320005593' post='3738965']

lol..
[/quote]

I played today with a 15 year old....

Ltd Edition Ping Hoofer
TM R11 9* (tp no less)
R11 fw
Adams A12 pro 16* hybrid
Mp67s
Vokey wedges
Odyssey Black #1

Basically the archetypal, Gold Award winning WRX type dream players bag.

I thought "Here we go, what a poser" then he proceeded to stripe everything and came in 1 under gross to win the comp. He was a really nice, personable, humble lad as well.

"Fair enough" I thought....

I, on the other hand, am constantly striving to do my bag justice....

STZ 10.5 Motore F3 60s

STZ 5 wood Motore F3 70s

CLK 22 Tensei blue 
JPX 850 Forged 4-pw S300

ES21 54 60 
Mizuno Craft 1

[quote name='MtlJeff' timestamp='1320007357' post='3739073']

[/quote]

by the time i finish my thoughts on your setup you'll have a completely new one from top to bottom LOL!
[/quote]

lol. Probably. But I've played the same clubs in 2011 all year. Even 2010...... My early extreme hoing has forever ruined my wrx reputation.....

If somebody saw my current bag they would know I was fit for the driver, have played / practiced quite a bit with my irons as the 53s are current and they are quite worn.

2024 Bag TBD

[quote name='MtlJeff' timestamp='1320006396' post='3739021']
[quote name='njmack' timestamp='1320005733' post='3738975']
they'd probably think I was a snob
[/quote]

i would guess you are a really good player. Not many hacks have even heard of a purple ice shaft, or would know where to get one. Plus on a vsteel 3 wood? That just screams classic combo and not right off the shelf for sure. MP52's don't come standard with Project X i don't think so you were fit for those. Matching wedges, an odyssey #9 putter is a feel putter

if i saw that bag on the first tee i'd think you were good
[/quote]

haha thank you! And well done--I don't keep a handicap but on any given day I expect to shoot anywhere from around mid 70s to low 80s. But I was not fitted for the irons.. I bought them off ebay on a whim and it turned out that they fit very nicely.

If I saw your bag I would probably think that you could play. The woods w/ exotic shafts (I don't believe they're stock are they?) suggest that you care about your performance. The custom putter says and G15s say you don't care what stigma may come with these clubs, they perform and I'm playin' them! I can admire that--Id tee it up with a player like that any day of the week.

Depends on whose doing the looking I guess , a WRXer or the real world , I'd probably get 2 opposite responses. :)

My bags not new but not especially old...but it is "pretty"

Blades but "Callaways"

Cameron but "Cameron"

Forged wedges are fairly old but they don't look as old as they are.

Oh....and I usually play "non" premium ball.

XRP 8.5* XS
XRP #3 XS
Cally Apex MB 3i-9i PX 7.0
Cally MD3 52*/56*/60*
Scotty Studio Select Custom

[quote name='BigPete' timestamp='1320007668' post='3739127']
[quote name='Ping_Ho' timestamp='1320005593' post='3738965']

lol..
[/quote]

I played today with a 15 year old....

Ltd Edition Ping Hoofer
TM R11 9* (tp no less)
R11 fw
Adams A12 pro 16* hybrid
Mp67s
Vokey wedges
Odyssey Black #1

Basically the archetypal, Gold Award winning WRX type dream players bag.

I thought "Here we go, what a poser" then he proceeded to stripe everything and came in 1 under gross to win the comp. He was a really nice, personable, humble lad as well.

"Fair enough" I thought....

I, on the other hand, am constantly striving to do my bag justice....
[/quote]

man, that is a 100% poser bag LOL. Unless the vokeys were worn to hell i'd think the kid probably had marginal game at best and was trying to look the part

in this case i'd have been wrong too haha

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

[quote name='addictedtoBST' timestamp='1320007796' post='3739113']
[quote name='MtlJeff' timestamp='1320007357' post='3739073']

[/quote]

[/quote]

lol. Probably. But I've played the same clubs in 2011 all year. Even 2010...... My early extreme hoing has forever ruined my wrx reputation.....

If somebody saw my current bag they would know I was fit for the driver, have played / practiced quite a bit with my irons as the 53s are current and they are quite worn.
[/quote]

yeah but your screen name's literal meaning is that you are addicted to buying, selling and trading LOL....just go back to KG, we can all support a KG who says he keeps the same clubs for a full year. But if a guy's screen name is "big fat guy" i would assume he is a big fat guy ...haha

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

Great topic, I play at private club, laid back, but guests don't always know that. I have seen guys go out of their way to hide their bag, good players, but old sticks. You also get to see the guys who leave their bag in everyone's way with new Titleist everything. I love to wait and watch them cold shank their drive off the first tee.

My bag probably says 12 handicap with aspirations, least that is what I think.

I am so bad i don't ever think about what people would think at the sight of my clubs. People do have fun playing with me, I am brutal on myself, but its funny.

So lets try

Driver- "Nice traditional looking club, and he's not trying to be a poser [Cleveland DST Tour]

Fairway - "He kept with an R9 4wd, so it must work, He must not be a club ho"

Irons - "Are those knock offs? They don't look like Diablo Forged." [Euro spec Diable Forged, got them brand new condition for $500 bucks]

Wedges - "Were those wedges made in the last decade?" If you guessed yes, you'd be wrong. I took 6 years off golf, and they are still in good condition. [Cleveland BiNi gap and original forged Snake Eyes SW] I also have a Jaws CC Slate that is looking rusty as hell, thats my only poser type club. I don't use it much any more, in fact I might pull it.

Putter - "If he wants an Anser, why doesnt he just buy a Scotty and get to Elite status?" [Rife Aruba]

Ball really depends on the day.

[color="#0000ff"]What I think

Driver - "I like the look, feel and sound. It also goes really nice when I put a good swing on it. I also got it for $150 bucks"

Fairway - "Why didn't I go to a 4w sooner? This thing just goes of the deck and it nice off the tee. Hello fairways"

Irons - "I wish i had the US ones, but saving $500 bucks is better. I get the same feel and absolutely love them."

Wedges - "They just work, what more can I say"

Putter - "I support Florida companies and this is a quality product."

Ball - "How am I feeling today? Taylormade Burner LDP day, or Callaway iS or iZ day?"[/color]

TM SLDR 460 set to 10.5° 70g Aldila VS Proto 44"
TM RBZ Stage 2 Tour 14.5° & 19°
Maltby KE4 Tour 22° Hybrid
PING G25 4-UW CFS
Maltby M-Series+ 54° and sometimes 58°
Odyssey White Ice #7 37" counter balanced and a SpryEvo TeCu insert
WS FG Tour(2014) or ProV1x

I tend to look more at the condition of their clubs....

for example, when I see wear spots on the face of their Mizzy irons all in the sweet spot, I know not to play that guys for money!

Jeff is right though, I've seen scratch golfers with older, well-loved clubs along with 40 cappers with new blades, R11 TP's, 4 wedges and a Tour Issue Scotty.

-spin

• Like 1

[quote name='SpinMill75' timestamp='1320009658' post='3739251']

for example, when I see wear spots on the face of their Mizzy irons all in the sweet spot, I know not to play that guys for money!

Jeff is right though, I've seen scratch golfers with older, well-loved clubs along with 40 cappers with new blades, R11 TP's, 4 wedges and a Tour Issue Scotty.

-spin
[/quote]

Quite right. Beware the golfer rocking Tommy Armour 845's and Ping Pal putter - not the guy to play for money unless he's got his leg in plaster.

• Like 1

[quote name='kg92lefty' timestamp='1320009628' post='3739247']
everybody has done this: when you see blades you think the person must be pretty decent.
[/quote]

when i play in a tournament against guys with blades, i am generally concerned for my well being haha. Because if he's using those in a match that counts i KNOW he is a good ballstriker.

i played with a guy who cleaned my clock in the interclub this year and he had an R11 driver, a 3 wood from 10 years ago (which he hit every par 5 in two with), adams pro black MB's that had been whitened a bit in the sweet spots, i forget the wedges but they were worn, and a rife putter. Pretty much my definition of a gamer bag.

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

[quote name='jaskanski' timestamp='1320009896' post='3739281']
[quote name='SpinMill75' timestamp='1320009658' post='3739251']

-spin
[/quote]

Quite right. Beware the golfer rocking Tommy Armour 845's and Ping Pal putter - not the guy to play for money unless he's got his leg in plaster.
[/quote]

You got it jaskanski.......

I once got rocked by an old man gaming a Bulls-eye putter. Lesson learned!

-spin

Where I live I think only 2 people know who or what a Bettinardi is...so they probably don't think much. That plus I use pom type headcovers make me look more hackish, I think. Which isn't far from the truth LOL.

A lot of guys like to look at the ghost R11's underneath though.

Member of TMAG #TeamJetspeed 2013

i always look to see what guys have in the bag because i like golf clubs and if you spot a fellow club ho you have something to talk about. i learned a long time ago not to judge someone based on whats in their bag, ive seen chops with shiny new players clubs as well as beat up players clubs, and ive seen scratch players with shovels and six headcovers, new blades, 25 year old accuform blades, and everything in between. you see different players with all kinds of gear and all it tells you is what they like.

people seem to know what kind of player i am as soon as they see me swing, so i havent experienced any judgement based on my equipment. i guess if you walked by my bag outside the pro shop and saw vokey tvd wedges, 712 mb's ( just a few more weeks!), a 2 iron, r11 tp with a 350 dollar shaft and an old sonartec 3 wood you would either assume that i am a decent player or gods gift to being a poser. either way i play with these clubs because i like them, simple as that.

[quote name='Thrillhouse' timestamp='1320010520' post='3739299']
i always look to see what guys have in the bag because i like golf clubs and if you spot a fellow club ho you have something to talk about. i learned a long time ago not to judge someone based on whats in their bag, ive seen chops with shiny new players clubs as well as beat up players clubs, and ive seen scratch players with shovels and six headcovers, new blades, 25 year old accuform blades, and everything in between. you see different players with all kinds of gear and all it tells you is what they like.

people seem to know what kind of player i am as soon as they see me swing, so i havent experienced any judgement based on my equipment. i guess if you walked by my bag outside the pro shop and saw vokey tvd wedges, 712 mb's ( just a few more weeks!), a 2 iron, r11 tp with a 350 dollar shaft and an old sonartec 3 wood you would either assume that i am a decent player or gods gift to being a poser. either way i play with these clubs because i like them, simple as that.
[/quote]

I notice the driver & putter a guy us using....mostly because I can see what he is hitting in the tee box & on the green. But rarely notice irons.

BTW...he is hard to miss those white drivers lol

Ping G425 Max w/Accra FX-250 M3 shaft
Taylormade AeroBurner Mini Driver 14 degree
Ping G30 5, and 7 Wood
Titlist VG3 Type-D 5-PW irons w/Nippon Zelos 7 shafts
Cleveland RTX-3 CB 48, 54, 58 (all 2 dot)
L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1 putter