2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Does anyone have issues with eyesight and tracking their golf ball?

H4CK

and how it affects locating your partners shots
So I have a terribly difficult time tracking the golf ball. It practically disappears once it reaches near its apex. Some times I can't even track it that far at all. I've once hit a 150 yard shot from the fairway onto the green and spent time looking for it around the green until a partner pointed out to me that it was on the green.

So, what's the etiquette issue regarding watching your playing partners shots? Is it rude that I can't track their balls (or mine) because I feel pretty bad about it.

Anybody got any tricks to track the flight and where it lands? I would like to be able to find mine as well as my partners shots more easily.

Is there a physical reason why I have such a tough time or do some people just have really great eyesight?

As an eye doc I would recommend having your eyes checked by a reputable optometrist or ophthalmologist. I don't know how old you are, but you could be developing cataracts, which even if not causing enough blurred vision for surgery to be necessary can still cause a myopic shift (makes you more nearsighted or less farsighted) which will in turn blur your vision. A prescription change can help this. Macular degeneration will also make you have a tough time seeing a ball. If you are young, still, the same recommendation....go see an eye doc.

I had lazer surgery about 8 years ago because I could not see the ball past 150 yards, it helped a lot. However, it wore off about a year ago and I am now in the same boat as you. I am not going to have the surgery again and decided just to live with the problem. I am 72, just have old eyes.

I play with an 80 year old who still has great vision, unfortunately he can't remember where it went. cheesy.gif

• Like 1

[quote name='mtsmith' timestamp='1320374310' post='3757331']
As an eye doc I would recommend having your eyes checked by a reputable optometrist or ophthalmologist. I don't know how old you are, but you could be developing cataracts, which even if not causing enough blurred vision for surgery to be necessary can still cause a myopic shift (makes you more nearsighted or less farsighted) which will in turn blur your vision. A prescription change can help this. Macular degeneration will also make you have a tough time seeing a ball. If you are young, still, the same recommendation....go see an eye doc.
[/quote]

I would run to get a check up if I was him.

I saw one of those Titleist Fitness shows on the GC a while back where they showed how people really weren't focusing in on the ball. Their eyes (brain) were actually focusing on a place much shorter than where the ball actually was in flight which was why the ball all of sudden disappears. They demonstrated it the effect with a person holding a string in front of you and you held the other end between your eyes and they moved an object down the string. Where you thought the object was and where it really was, were two different things showing how the brain can be giving you the wrong info. Quite interesting.

Ping G400 9º TFC 419 Stiff at 45"

Jazz 3 wd Powercoil Stiff
Rogue 3iron Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
X2 Hot 4-AW Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
Vokey SM2 52º cc, SM4 56°, SM4 60°
Ping Sigma2 Valor at 34.75"
MCC Align Midsize

Not that you shouldn't get an eye exam, but pick up some pink balls, can be seen for a long way. Played recently with a guy that had the new pink 330RX, could see that thing for ever compared to white and yellow balls that were being played by the rest of us. I bought some for myself as I am in the same boat, anything much beyond 175 and clouds and I am guessing where it came down, really sucks with leaves on the ground.

Fact of the matter is that as you get older, your eyes take longer to focus from close distances to longer distances. You're sitting there staring at a ball 6 feet away from you, then suddenly you need to focus on it 200+ yards away.

I try and watch my playing partner's golf balls as much as possible, but if they're on the other side of the fairway, they better be paying attention themselves.

• Like 1

FWIW, I typically lose balls in flight as the background they are flying in front of changes. For example, the ball is against the blue sky, then a cloud, then the blue sky, then trees, and finally the green background of the fairway or green. Additionally, I do find I can visually track the flight of a flourescent orange or yellow ball better than the traditional white but, I can't find an orange or yellow ball I like as much as my regular Titleist NXT Tour balls.

When I was under 55, rarely would I run into someone who had trouble tracking/seeing their ball.

Now that most of my playing partners are 62+, I frequently play with players that cant track their ball and have difficulty even judging where it landed and how far. Its not unusual for most of them to actually request someone help them track their ball. I usually wont stand directly behind them and have little difficulty picking up the ball flight from just to their right or left. Many of them do have eye issues, and just havent had any correction, some dont see the need, and some just think its normal for someone their age.

I do mind someone standing directly behind me and find I need to frequently remind players not to stand directly behind me. They are just accustomed to standing behind for their other playing partners, and assume I need the help as well.

So my take is,,if you need help request it and be specific in what you want the "helper" to do. And dont automatically assume that someone needs or even wants your help tracking their ball.

[quote name='rvgolfer' timestamp='1321500166' post='3811207']
When I was under 55, rarely would I run into someone who had trouble tracking/seeing their ball.

Now that most of my playing partners are 62+, I frequently play with players that cant track their ball and have difficulty even judging where it landed and how far. Its not unusual for most of them to actually request someone help them track their ball. I usually wont stand directly behind them and have little difficulty picking up the ball flight from just to their right or left. Many of them do have eye issues, and just havent had any correction, some dont see the need, and some just think its normal for someone their age.

I do mind someone standing directly behind me and find I need to frequently remind players not to stand directly behind me. They are just accustomed to standing behind for their other playing partners, and assume I need the help as well.

So my take is,,if you need help request it and be specific in what you want the "helper" to do. And dont automatically assume that someone needs or even wants your help tracking their ball.
[/quote]

Forgive me, because I have bad eyesight too -- but this is in part a rules forum so I must say:

14-2. Assistance
In making a stroke, a player must not:

a. Accept physical assistance or protection from the elements; or
b. Allow his caddie, his partner or his partner's caddie to position himself on or close to an extension of the line of play or the line of putt behind the ball.

Penalty for Breach of Rule 14-1 or 14-2:
Match play - Loss of hole; Stroke play - Two strokes.

My post was based on a casual game, where many USGA rules are frequently ignored. I also am not sure partner is defined the same as a member of the foursome.

In any event, he wouldnt be penalized since I dont stand directly behind him, nor do I allow anyone else to stand behind me. And even if it was a penalty, I wouldnt call it just due to the casual nature of the game. My guess is that when you hit 65, you wont either. And it sure beats looking all over the golf course for balls each and every shot.

When we get to the PGA tour, it wont be an issue cus our forecaddies will find it.

[quote name='rvgolfer' timestamp='1321502334' post='3811431']
My post was based on a casual game, where many USGA rules are frequently ignored. I also am not sure partner is defined the same as a member of the foursome.

In any event, he wouldnt be penalized since I dont stand directly behind him, nor do I allow anyone else to stand behind me. And even if it was a penalty, I wouldnt call it just due to the casual nature of the game. My guess is that when you hit 65, you wont either. And it sure beats looking all over the golf course for balls each and every shot.

When we get to the PGA tour, it wont be an issue cus our forecaddies will find it.
[/quote]
I didn't mean to suggest that you have an obligation to follow rules when you play in a casual round (though depending on the circumstances you might). I only wanted to point out to those who might not know it that if they wish to abide by the rules they have to be careful with this. (I wasn't accusing you of anything.)

Regarding your guess as to how I might behave once 65, I can tell you that I used to be a young guy who liked playing by the rules in casual games. Now that's changed -- I'm an old guy who likes playing by the rules in casual games.

[quote name='Sawgrass' timestamp='1321504433' post='3811601']
My post was based on a casual game, where many USGA rules are frequently ignored. [b] I also am not sure partner is defined the same as a member of the foursome[/b].

[/quote]
I didn't mean to suggest that you have an obligation to follow rules when you play in a casual round (though depending on the circumstances you might). I only wanted to point out to those who might not know it that if they wish to abide by the rules they have to be careful with this. (I wasn't accusing you of anything.)
[/quote]

Rvgolfer makes a valid point there. It is important to distinguish partner and caddies from other players in your flight, i.e. fellow-competitors. No Rule whatsoever forbids you to stand behind another fellow-competitors ball when he is striking a ball. However, one should not stand too close as that would be against the Etiquette. It is also polite to ask other players whether they allow you to stand behind their ball in order to track that ball better. Very few people I've played with do not want that extra help although some would prefer others to stand not directly behind but a bit out of the way.

[quote name='Mr. Bean' timestamp='1321529703' post='3812655']
[quote name='Sawgrass' timestamp='1321504433' post='3811601']
My post was based on a casual game, where many USGA rules are frequently ignored. [b]I also am not sure partner is defined the same as a member of the foursome[/b].

[/quote]
[/quote]

Rvgolfer makes a valid point there. It is important to distinguish partner and caddies from other players in your flight, i.e. fellow-competitors. No Rule whatsoever forbids you to stand behind another fellow-competitors ball when he is striking a ball. However, one should not stand too close as that would be against the Etiquette. It is also polite to ask other players whether they allow you to stand behind their ball in order to track that ball better. Very few people I've played with do not want that extra help although some would prefer others to stand not directly behind but a bit out of the way.
[/quote]

The rule I posted clearly says partners and caddies (only) are prohibited from standing behind you. I didn't and don't know who made up his particular foursome. (Though I do know that a "foursome" is a game played specifically by two groups of partners. Just ask Greg Norman or Freddie Couples.;) )

While a non-competing golfer, an "outside agency," could stand there, I wonder if his repeatedly doing so (at one's request)crosses a line that tacitly makes him a caddie.

If I was in an important tournament and had difficulty tracking/seeing my ball, I think I would request special permission for the specific help that I wanted from the tournament official. I am thinking that this request might be granted in a local club tournament just out of fairness for a "handicap". If the tournament was on a higher tier than a local tournament, my guess is that the request would be denied.

So in the end, the rule is valid for higher tier tourneys, but at the local level, or a casual round, I am quite sure that most would suspend the rule.

Regarding the definition of a foursome, its common to refer to any group of 4 as a foursome, and exactly what rules, partnerships, the exact nature of the competition can vary from not only group to group, and can vary from day to day even though the members of the foursome dont change.

I do appreciate the info on the exact rule though. I see LPGA player's caddies helping with alignment on the tee frequently,,Julie Inkster comes to mind, but the caddie always moves away before she actually hits the ball.

The group I play with are in the 20s/30s and one of my friends, in his late 20s, has trouble tracking his shot over 180-200 yards. He'll get the general direction but can't see it down and will generally think he's short of where the actual shot ended up. I've encouraged him to get his eyes checked as he claims to have a pretty bad astigmatism, but still, it should be correctable; I hope!. Knowing he has this issue, I try to help track his ball especially if I'm the one sharing the cart with him.

My dad, on the other hand, had lasik and but has trouble tracking shots over 160 yards. I'm always on full alert when he hits since he needs help tracking his shot. Helps that both of them are not too erratic (buddy is about a 15 hdcp my dad is about a 12 hdcp) so they are pretty reasonable to see. My dad always jokes that the reason his yardages have digressed as he has gotten older is because he can only hit is as far as he can see it ;)

If you play with a regular group, I'm sure your friends won't mind helping track your balls and pointing out where the landing area was. I wouldn't do this for strangers unless they asked since I don't like to over step my bounds unless asked.

TM SIM Max 9* Oban Kiyoshi Purple
TM SIM Ti 15* Oban Kiyoshi Purple

TM SIM Max 19* 

Srixon ZX5/7 combo 4-AW

Fourteen 54*

Titleist SM6 58*

Evnroll ER2

[quote name='Sawgrass' timestamp='1321534907' post='3812765']
The rule I posted clearly says partners and caddies (only) are prohibited from standing behind you.
[size="2"][/quote][/size]
Yes, you did post that. What you did not do is to clearly distinguish those from fellow-competitors and I believe many readers may have picked up only what you posted without really understanding the concept in total.

[quote name='Sawgrass' timestamp='1321534907' post='3812765']
While a non-competing golfer, an "outside agency," could stand there, I wonder if his repeatedly doing so (at one's request)crosses a line that tacitly makes him a caddie.
[/quote]

Nobody has said anything about non-competing golfers here, quite on the contrary. Fellow-competitors are co-competitors and yet are allowed to stand behind another player's ball while the player is making his stroke.

I have this strong feeling that we are in agreement in this matter. I just feel that certain things need to be clarified very clearly in order not to create any misunderstandings.

[quote name='Mr. Bean' timestamp='1321557076' post='3814193']
Nobody has said anything about non-competing golfers here, quite on the contrary. Fellow-competitors are co-competitors and yet are allowed to stand behind another player's ball while the player is making his stroke.

I have this strong feeling that we are in agreement in this matter. I just feel that certain things need to be clarified very clearly in order not to create any misunderstandings.
[/quote]

I mention non-competing golfers only since neither the O.P.nor RVgolfer had clearly identified the types of people they were grouped with. I presume it wasn't technically a foursome with RVgolfer, though I joked about that. I guess that in both cases it could very likely be friends who aren't even in a match. I point this out in order to make it clear that a friendly outside agency isn't subject to the restriction a partner or caddie is -- just as neither a fellow competitor nor an opponent' help is restricted.

And yes, I do suspect we agree.

Myself and many of my playing partners as well are having a difficult time following the ball flight, and where the balls ends up. I know myself, that once the ball go beyond that 295 to 300 yard range that I've lost sight of the ball....biggrin.gif

FWIW, all of my group / groups that I play in have someone standing behind us while driving the ball 95% of the time...Now if we could get that guy standing behind us from opening his mouth while we're hitting...that would be nice...laugh.gif

p.s. FWIW, ALL of my playing partners play winter rules...bye.gif...But I don't...wink.gif

Miura PP-9003 PW-6 iron w/SmacWrap 780 F3

Taylormade Stealth 10.5* w/KBS TD 50 Oh, and Ventus Red "made for"

Taylormade SIM 2  21 degree w/Ventus Blue

Taylormade Stealth Rescue 22* w/Ventus Blue

Callaway X-Tour raw - 52 w/DG steel

Taylormade MYMG 3 - 56 w/KBS C-Taper Lite 

Dave Whitlam Anser 

• 1 year later...

I have macular degeneration which makes it hard to follow the flight of any full shot.
My playing partners do try to watch and help me cope. The frustrating thing is even though people
watch and are aware of my ball position they won't usually say anything unless I can't locate my ball. I might add that I'm still a single digit handicaper, so my ball is usually in play. I can feel about where every shot goes. The really frustrating thing is when heading to my next shot after hitting my ball [u]I never[/u] [u]actually know where my ball is[/u]. After playing golf for over 60 years this has taken a lot of the enjoyment from the game.

[quote name='sadie' timestamp='1383277980' post='8087030']
I have macular degeneration which makes it hard to follow the flight of any full shot.
My playing partners do try to watch and help me cope. The frustrating thing is even though people
watch and are aware of my ball position they won't usually say anything unless I can't locate my ball. I might add that I'm still a single digit handicaper, so my ball is usually in play. I can feel about where every shot goes. The really frustrating thing is when heading to my next shot after hitting my ball [u]I never[/u] [u]actually know where my ball is[/u]. After playing golf for over 60 years this has taken a lot of the enjoyment from the game.
[/quote]

If you were paired with me, and if you told me this, I'd gladly make an effort to try and describe your tee shot to you each time as well as where it came to rest.

Have you asked for help?

[quote name='Guia' timestamp='1320375091' post='3757375']
I had lazer surgery about 8 years ago because I could not see the ball past 150 yards, it helped a lot. However, it wore off about a year ago and I am now in the same boat as you. I am not going to have the surgery again and decided just to live with the problem. I am 72, just have old eyes.

I play with an 80 year old who still has great vision, unfortunately he can't remember where it went. :cheesy:
[/quote]

Very funny! My father is like that now! :rofl:

My suggestion is to try some of the yellow balls that are on the market. Especially this time of year with the leaves on the ground. My father uses them and he sees the ball better now.

Driver: Titleist TSR3 UST Mamiya Prototype  

Fairways: Titleist TS2 13.5* UST Mamiya LIN-Q Blue

Utility: Titleist U500 19* Fujikura Ventus Blue HB

Irons:  T350 4 & 5, T200 6-PW UST Mamiya Recoil Dart F4 105g

Wedges: Vokey SM9 48*, 52*, 56*

Putter: L.A.B. Golf MEZZ.1 Proto 

Ball: ProV1 Left Dot

A player in my usual foursome has trouble seeing his balls. (- He needs to loose weight.)

Actually... We try to watch his ball flight so he knows what kind a shot he hit.

Generally we all try to keep track of where balls go as it helps speed up play. Especially with all the leaves.

Many years ago I often golfed with a elderly friend who couldn't see well at all. He once remarked "I still enjoy playing but it's like sex with the lights out. It feels good but I can't see anything".

Generally, most fellow players will help you track the ball, especially if you explain a vision problem beforehand. It is sort of a quid pro quo situation.

At 66 years old I've had laser surgery (not Lasik) for diabetic retinopathy and still have internal bleeding at times. Floaters are a constant problem as well. It is not easy to pick out a ball in flight from a series of dots in your vision or when things look like viewing through a frosted glass window.

I also had cataract surgery in both eyes so my vision is static and doesn't refocus.

My wife, who formerly played, accompanies me on most rounds and is my spotter as well as doing other caddy-like tasks. That is a BIG help even though she also sometimes loses the ball in flight depending on the conditions.

Using yellow balls is a positive change (but I had to give up my Gamer V2 addiction). The Callaway X Hot ball almost appears to glow. It seems easier to see the yellow ball bounce on the fairway for some reason.

> Callaway GBB driver (set D, -1, 9.5°) w/Kuro Kage Black TiNi 50, R-flex, 45.5"
> GBB 5 wood w/Kuro Kage Black TiNi 50, R-flex (set D, -1, 17°), 42.5"
> XR 7 wood (21°), 9 wood (23°) w/OEM Project X LZ, R-flex
> Callaway XR 4-LW w/ Recoil 660, F3, +.5", 2° up
> Golf Pride CP2 Wrap grips (blue)
> Odyssey White Ice Mini-T putter 35"
> Pinnacle Gold or Wilson 50 Elite

Just turned 50 and have had contacts for about four or five years. My problem is seeing distance, I'm very lucky if can see a ball on a green at 150 yards. Most times I watch the initial flight and curve and try to estimate the landing area. Fortunately , most of my playing partners know this and are pretty good about helping. It's pretty damn miserable.

I just saw my eye doc this week and we're experimenting with one contact with just distance correction. If it works I'll get a few of these just to use for golf or watching ball games. Hopefully tomorrow I can give it a try.

I'm 44 and I have problems seeing over 150yds (note: I hit a hole in one on a 155yd par 3, and I didn't see it go in, my FCs are the ones that started yelling I got it in). Along with some floaters and other "funky stuff" (I.e. my optometrist says I shouldn't bee seeing a speck on the back of my eye, but I do), I refuse to wear glasses. I'll never have to wear reading glasses, and I work using a computer all day... so my vision just gets 'a little' blurry.

My issue is my left eye is weaker than the right so that leads to a perspetive distortion when I line up to the ball, or try to read putts. This is the 1st year I played without perscription sunglasses and things started working better. Sure, I'd lose sight of the ball, but my putting got much better.

My eyes are also light sensitive. Wearing sunglasses and then taking them off to read putts would drive me bonkers. It looks like my only solution is 2 pairs of sunglasses. Perscription for the teebox and regular for the green.

--kC

Ping 430Max 10k / Callaway UW 17 & 21 / Srixon ZX5 Irons (5-AW) / Vokey SM8 56* & 60*, Callaway, 64*

I've been having issues following the ball until it lands. Sometimes it's because my eyes dry out trying to follow some of the bombs I hit (I wish!).

"As Seen ON TV HD Vision" sunglasses really help me. Because they're more of a yellow-tint, I keep them on to putt, as well. Being not-polarized, they do a great job of highlighting slopes and terrain on the greens. Plus, they help keep wind out of my eyes and that keeps the dry-eyes to a minimum.

I buy them on eBay several pairs at a time for around $7.99 ea, and I also get a few pair with reading magnifiers" built in.

Trying to delay Lasik until really necessary.