Callaway FT-i

easyyy

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Callaway FT-i is a great club that will shoot some straight shots with a few consequences. The head is without question gives you less sidespin than a normal pear shaped head but this will cost you a little if you have a high swingspeed. That litte thing is distance which I know everybody on here loves but who doesn't like the fairway. The lack of distance is due to the high amount of spin. When paired with the correct shaft (a low spinning one for the high swingspeed) this thing shoots some bombs straight into the fairway. The stock shaft is 46 in. which is a little odd along with the square head but overall this club is great and will be a sucess for Callaway Golf.

• 4 weeks later...

Here's my review of the FT-i...

I've played it for 9 rounds now, and I'm very impressed with this driver!

Club specs: 9.5 degree Tour Neutral weighting Fujikura 686 stiff shaft

First off, about the head design. Yeah, it takes some getting used to, but after my first round, missing one fairway, and driving it as long or longer on every hole than my previous driver? It's no longer an issue for me! The square head may actually help a bit, when it comes to alignment purposes.

Yes, it's tough to work the ball, especially a draw, but it can be done. It's not an impossible feat like working the HiBore or something.

The sound is definitely different, but it's like the FT-3 in terms of the tone. Maybe just a touch louder.

Mishits stay straight, and the trajectory is medium to high. Although it may have more to do with the shaft than the head.

Overal, this is a very solid club, and Callaway has a definite winner here.

As for the "traditionalists" here, keep your persimmon drivers in the bag, and I'll hit this puppy long and straight! ;)

• 3 weeks later...

I have not hit this club, but I spent some time with the other squared headed driver the Nike Sumo 2 this past weekend.

Irrespective of how I hit it, thing went relatively straight. My regular shot is a high draw and this club produced that every time. When I tried to hit a power fade, it just came out dead straight. The club I hit was a 9.5 degree with Diamana 63S shaft. Given the choice, I would rather have hit a 8.5 degree with Diamana 63 X in it but for a club that was not set up right for me and the fact that the shape does freak you out a little, I was ripping it.

I was carrying it 260m into a slight breeze. The most surprising thing for me from the club was the feeling of absolute stability through the hitting area. There is definitely something in the technology of a square head.

Waiting for February 2007 when the tour version will be available in South Africa.

• 2 weeks later...

I got a chance to hit it today at the golfshop.

Didn't hit that many balls but thes are my remarks:

- I think it looks very odd and not appealing to the eye

- it produces a VERY VERY loud sound

- you can swing it very hard, mis hit it and others and it still goes straight

I didn't really like it and don't think I'll ever buy one.

Thomas

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This is my first post on GolfWRX.

I just hit the FT-i for the first time today. This was at the stockholm golf show (small event). The club was a 10 degrer standard regular shafted version. I would also like to add that this test was done against a net,, therefore my feedback is rather limited. I still don't like the club, feel was horrible and sound was even worse. I will try the club again in the lower lofted tour version, but this was just to horrible. I guess it coud be good for some players but not me. Id rather play the new Mizuno MP offering or the old FT-3 tour.

One thing, why would Cally exclude the 8,5 degree loft?

You would se me doing this: :) before i pay for an FT-i

Titleist 913 D2 8.5 at C1, Phenom 70X
Callaway X Tour 13, Proforce V2 89X
Mizuno Fli-Hi CLK 21, EPIC Stiff
Titleist 690cb, 3-pw, DG S300
52 Pre SM Vokey, 56 and 60 original SMs
White Hot XG #7

• 2 weeks later...

easyyy , can you post a face front pick? thanks.

I hope i hate this driver when i hit it.

the purist in me ....

here is a few pics of the face :drinks:

what shaft it is this one here? is it the Aldila VS Proto or the Grafalloy Blue? I'm interested in trying both these shafts in this driver. I wish OptiFit was available in the FT-i

• 2 weeks later...

I tested both the FT-I and the FT-I Tour models. Both are EXCELLENT. The Optifit system for Callaway is top-notch.

FT-I was extremely straight. Took a few swings to get used to the size, shape and sound. But straight as an arrow.

FT-5 was a nice upgrade from the FT-3. Both solid drivers. Tour models are for more experienced players, and both were beautiful.

• 3 weeks later...

My search for a driver is over. After hitting countless balls with alot of different drivers in the past month, I found the club I am going to purchase. Today I hit, on the range and played 11 holes, with the FT-I w/ an Aldila NV 65-S. I loved the penetrating ball flight with this combo. I was hitting the ball straight for the most part, with a couple slight draws and fades. I would say my drives were in the range of 265-280 including roll. Even with the draw or fade, the ball did not go too far left or right. It was still playable. I have hit the FT-I indoors before, and I was not a fan of the sound. Yes it was loud, but outdoors the sound did not effect me at all. I enjoyed the clink sound it makes. I have searched hi and low for a driver that would help me control the ball and keep my distance. This is it. I am playing one more round tomorrow with this combo to make sure this is it. I am undecided on if I will stick with this shaft. I am also interested in the UST V2 75 S. PM if you have any specific questions. This club is the real deal. ;)

PXG 0311 Tour-1 10.5° - Tensei AV Raw White

PXG 0311 BO 15° - Tensei AV Raw White

PXG 0311 BO 18° - Tensei AV Raw White

PXG 0311 BO 22° - Tensei AV Raw White
PXG BLE 0317T - 5-PW - Project X
PXG Sugar Daddy II - PX - 49° (50°)

PXG Sugar Daddy II - PX - 53° (54°)

PXG Sugar Daddy II - PX - 58°
LAB DF3 - Accra Black

LAB Link.1 - Accra Black

I actually like the look of this driver very much. Ofcourse it's a matter of taste but I for one like the design of the head.

It actually looks smaller then the 460cc it is.

I just hit mine at the driving range today and I must say WOW, very good!

Forgiving, straight, but I could work the ball (draw, fade).

Now we'll have to see how it holds up on the course.

Only thing is I'm thinking of putting another shaft in because it just went a bit too high for my liking.

Like others said before, high spin... Thinking of maybe putting in a lower spin shaft.

Hope I found my gamer for 2007!

• 2 weeks later...

Guys,

I sooooooo wanted to like this driver. I like the looks but in a head to head trial at the range and on the course between this club in 11 degrees of loft, the Nike Sumo2 'Lucky 13' and the Taylormade Burner HT.....all in regular flex stock graphite...........the Burner won hands down. Straighter...longer.....better sound.....just plain better. Thank God for TGW's 30 day playability garuantee...cuz this driver and the Nike Sumo2 are both going back. Hello......Burner HT!!

• 2 weeks later...
Here's my review of the FT-i...

I've played it for 9 rounds now, and I'm very impressed with this driver!

Club specs: 9.5 degree Tour Neutral weighting Fujikura 686 stiff shaft

First off, about the head design. Yeah, it takes some getting used to, but after my first round, missing one fairway, and driving it as long or longer on every hole than my previous driver? It's no longer an issue for me! The square head may actually help a bit, when it comes to alignment purposes.

Yes, it's tough to work the ball, especially a draw, but it can be done. It's not an impossible feat like working the HiBore or something.

The sound is definitely different, but it's like the FT-3 in terms of the tone. Maybe just a touch louder.

Mishits stay straight, and the trajectory is medium to high. Although it may have more to do with the shaft than the head.

Overal, this is a very solid club, and Callaway has a definite winner here.

As for the "traditionalists" here, keep your persimmon drivers in the bag, and I'll hit this puppy long and straight! ;)

Just wondering, what's your swing speed/avg carry/trajectory and usual miss? How come you ended up getting hte ft-5 instead? Sorry to bombard you with qs, but I have a 9.5 neutral on the way and I was just trying to figure out what to expect.

demo day was last saturday at my club. i hit the clevelands, pings. titliest, cobra, and the ft5 callaway. the taylor made rep got sick so he wasnt there. i had hit them all but the ft1. our range is 250 yards to the net at the end which is 60 feet tall. there is a green behind the fence at the end of range that is about 40 yards or a little more from the fence. i hit the tour model with the 869 xtra stiff shaft. neurtal model. i made a couple of practice swings. (remember i had already hit more than a bag of balls on all the others. the very first swing, i carried the net, and hit the green behind the net. there was a guy putting on the green and it landed pretty close to him. u could see him jump from about 290 to 300 yds away. i then went to the far right side and hit it lengthwise across the range. to the left corner. i swung as hard as i could and tried to hook it. or even duck hook it. it might move 10 yds at the very most. guess what i bought one. i grew up hitting persimmon woods. and still play an old set of forged blades. but if i can hit a lot of fairways with just a decent distance on it then it will be worth its money. my club head speed has been measured at the age of 47 at 118. i am not going to get rid of my cobra driver but if this one hits as straight as i think. then guess whats in my bag. AND by the way, the NIKE square driver is frigging junk. The Callaway is much better balanced and will square up but not let u close the face. But only time will tell. Golf is a game of a lifetime. Have fun.

• 2 weeks later...

Went to compare the FT i and Burner and there was no comparison for me. The Burner shaft was way to light and I hooked drive after drive. Even the tp version did not seem to help. The FT i Tour 9.5 Tour with the reg Fuji 686 was straighter and longer for me and my 94-95 ss. I really want to like this driver and the results speak for themselves. I am really interested in the FT 5 Tour but i have not been able to find in a lefty demo. Bottom line, the FT i is a great club but I am concerned that I will get tired of the square thing for 500 bones.

I got a chance to hit it today at the golfshop.

Didn't hit that many balls but thes are my remarks:

- I think it looks very odd and not appealing to the eye

- it produces a VERY VERY loud sound

- you can swing it very hard, mis hit it and others and it still goes straight

I didn't really like it and don't think I'll ever buy one.

Thomas

I was out playing with my cousin practicing for the up comeing golf season when my old driver broke on me. He let me use his Callaway FT-i driver and it has to be the best club i have ever used. I hit the ball so straight and farther than i did with my old adams rpm driver. If i had d money this would b the club i would get. :rolleyes:

• 4 weeks later...

I bought this driver as I tend to hook the ball from time to time and was told this driver 10 degrees with a stiff shaft would be very difficult to hook. I hooked almost all the drives. I used my brother's Titleist 907 D2, and hit it well. I also hit the Ping Raptor 10.5 degrees with the stiff proforce shaft and hit that well also. I must admit I gave the driver back and ordered the Titleist 907 D2 driver with a graffalloy stiff shaft, and also found out I needed a high flex point shaft instead of a low flex point shaft so that could have been a significant problem while playing with the FT-i. I also hated the sound that it makes, but I guess it all boils down to personal preference.

No offense, but that doesn't sound like personal preference at all. Whoever told you that a 10 degree w/ a stiff would help prevent hooking was full of it, and all you did was try a club didn't fit you at all, and find that it performed like a club that didn't fit you. Again, I seroiusly mean no offense, I just couldn't figure a pleasant sounding way to say it.

All the reviews for the FT-i, be it magazine or forum, seem to be very positive. The driver is very forgiving and very straight according to all reports. What I do not understand is that virtually no one uses the FT-i on tour... PGA, European Tour, LPGA...Seniors... it is a rarity when someone uses an FT-i and I am wondering why? I am aware that professionals like to "work the ball", and it is harder to do this with this driver, but I would expect that Callaway Pros (and others) would be lining up to use it if it was as straight as it is being reviewed and would guarantee them more fairways. (Think Phil!--He has used it...but rarely) If anyone can offer me an explanation as to why it is a rarity on tour, I'd appreciate it. I'm considering buying one, but it's absence on the major tours makes it suspect for me.