Swing Speed

Petch1973

I know I should go to a launch monitor, but I haven't. I took lessons from a pro this past year and he only had me use a 5 iron on his monitor. It was measuring my 5 iron SS around 90 mph, with the max around 93. Could anyone give an approximate SS for my driver? Or could someone direct me to a swing speed chart or calculator?

Regards

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They say that your Driver SS is about 15 mph faster than you 5 iron. So you are looking around 105-108

Hope this helps

Titleist 915D4 9.5 w/Speeder TS 7.2x
Tour Edge CB Pro 13.5 w/757x
Titleist 913F.d 18 w/D+ 82 x
Titleist 913H.d 23.5 w/Diamana 92x
Mizuno MP-60 w/x100
Titleist SM4 50.12-54.14-58.12
2 Ball Tour filled and lined 35"
Titleist 2017 Prov1 #18
Titleist Lightweight Staff Bag

• 3 months later...

I did mine today and the statement above mine is correct but with some error. I was swing a 6 iron today at 98 mph was the average launch monitor. my driver SS is averaged at rite around 126ish-- i think it was 125.4 or something. I am kinda different becuase I kinda go after the driver. I have the confidence too swing it long and hard. The irons I keep short and sweet. The point I was getting too, is your swing short or long? Short could mean a little slower and longer normally adds a little more width and distance.

did mine today and the statement above mine is correct but with some error. I was swing a 6 iron today at 98 mph was the average launch monitor. my driver SS is averaged at rite around 126ish-- i think it was 125.4 or something. I am kinda different becuase I kinda go after the driver. I have the confidence too swing it long and hard. The irons I keep short and sweet. The point I was getting too, is your swing short or long? Short could mean a little slower and longer normally adds a little more width and distance.
They say that your Driver SS is about 15 mph faster than you 5 iron. So you are looking around 105-108

I agree with fredwds, however; people tend to swing a little faster on the launch monitor for a couple of reasons:

1) They get enamored with the numbers.

2) They get to take numerous consecutive swings.

How often do you get to take 15 swings from the same spot at the golf course and are told how fast you were swinging the club?

did mine today and the statement above mine is correct but with some error. I was swing a 6 iron today at 98 mph was the average launch monitor. my driver SS is averaged at rite around 126ish-- i think it was 125.4 or something. I am kinda different becuase I kinda go after the driver. I have the confidence too swing it long and hard. The irons I keep short and sweet. The point I was getting too, is your swing short or long? Short could mean a little slower and longer normally adds a little more width and distance.

I agree with fredwds, however; people tend to swing a little faster on the launch monitor for a couple of reasons:

1) They get enamored with the numbers.

2) They get to take numerous consecutive swings.

How often do you get to take 15 swings from the same spot at the golf course and are told how fast you were swinging the club?

This is true and also what will help is what was you Ball Speed?? I can tell you i can carry a driver 280-290 depending on the day. I have been known to be completely nuts on and hit it farther for carry than that too. It is so general that it is hard to say. My ball speed with a driver is 180. My ball speed with a 6 iron is rite around 135. So little more info would be cool..

Actually if you have a golf galaxy around you they charge like 30 bucks for 20 mins on the launch monitor. Best bet rite there. I am actually going back tm to do my irons and wedges to get them tweeked to how i like them.

• 3 weeks later...

Is having a 95 mph. SS with an 6 iron and a 106 mph SS with a driver an unusual combination to have?

Actually, I'm somewhat similar to you 690MB.

My 6 iron swing speed is 90 and my driver spped is 105 mph. The 15 mph swing difference mentioned by fredwds earlier in this post seems much more like my characteristics.

Ping G430 Max 10.5° | Fujikura Speeder Evolution II 569
TaylorMade BRNR 13.5° | UST Mamiya ProForce 65

TaylorMade Stealth 2 Plus 18° | Mitsubishi Kai'li Red 65

Srixon ZX MKII 22° & 25° | Project X HZRDUS Smoke Red RDX 70

Mizuno JPX 923 Hot Metal HL 6-GW | True Temper Dynamic Gold 95
Cleveland CBX2 54° & 58° | Rotex 90
PXG Battle Ready M16 Bat Attack

"Golf is assuredly a mystifying game. It would seem that if a person has hit a golf ball correctly a thousand times, he should be able to duplicate the performance at will. But such is certainly not the case." - Bobby Jones

It's only 5 mph in the iron department, but I was having a talk on shafts and stuff and he was suggesting that 95/105 was unusal, I go at it pretty hard (imo) with the irons and I was just wondering if any of you guys out here agree on the two numbers being off on comparison.

Is a 5 mph difference a big step in the whole SS thing?

I've got a related question -- How does anybody know that these things are accurate? I've hit on 4 different launch monitors and have gotten driver swing speed figures from 85 to 105. The Auditor optical swingspeed meter I bought at Golfsmith says I average about 105 at the range, and I can make a practice swing as high as 120.

How do I know what's right? Is there a way to calibrate these devices?

Is a 5 mph difference a big step in the whole SS thing?

I've been hitting at the range with a swingspeed meter. While I don't know if the absolute speeds are accurate, it seems very accurate in telling the difference between speeds.

What I've found is that iron speeds can vary a lot from swing to swing, depending on what you're trying to do. A 5-8 mph difference between two 6i swings is very normal. For example, when I try to draw that shot, the swing speed is always at the upper end of my range. That's just how I go after a draw, I guess. Even just hitting straight shots, the swing varies 5mph. I'm sure that better players narrow that range down. When I'm focusing on a target at the far end of 6i range, I'll hit it 90mph. When I'm simply thinking about a good straight launch, it might come in a 82mph. The actual distance the ball flies has more to do with how I strike it than the swingspeed. A 90mph swing might carry 155, and an 82mph swing right after it might carry 165.

Same with the driver. Two identical swingspeeds will produce drives that vary by 30 yards. I had a 105 swing that hit the 250y sign in the air. The very next swing was 106 and it dropped a little past the 200 sign. (both with what looked like newer range balls)

Also -- taking "technique swings" on my patio, I swing the driver around 105. The first few ball strikes at the range come in at 115, even though I'm *thinking* that I'm taking it easy. I have to step back from the ball and settle down with practice swings before getting back up there and hitting. This is a good lesson for what happens on the first tee all too often!

I've got a related question -- How does anybody know that these things are accurate? I've hit on 4 different launch monitors and have gotten driver swing speed figures from 85 to 105. The Auditor optical swingspeed meter I bought at Golfsmith says I average about 105 at the range, and I can make a practice swing as high as 120.

How do I know what's right? Is there a way to calibrate these devices?

to figure out what your average is use simple mathematics. Take all the numbers that you have gotten, the more the better. Then add them up, divide my number of SS #'s and thats your average. Then take the same data, and take out the "outliers" such as 85 and 130. Then add up the remaining numbers, divide by the number of SS #'s. Compare the two and you should have close to your average SS. The more numbers you have the better.