Bourbon

Comments

• thaarthaar Best 3-putter in town!  1015Members Posts: 1,015
    Shifty242 wrote:

kalamazoo wrote:

Questions for the Pappy fans...is it worth all the trouble or should I just quit trying with the raffles?

In my opinion it is NOT worth the trouble. In Texas the likelihood of finding any PVW or BTAC at msrp is nearly impossible. They can be found at stores where they have been marked up significantly by the owners. I don't hold it against them. I'm just not going to be the customer who buys it at that price.

Question: in Michigan are you playing a raffle to buy at msrp? Or just to buy at whatever price the liquor store says?

If you like wheated bourbons, then there are many other options that are (1) readily available and (2) reasonably priced. Save your money and try it in a bar someday...

PVW is stupid hard to get these days, but my store doesn't mark it up. We do have a lottery for rare whiskeys every year though where one can get lucky. Before bourbon got super popular, I was fortunate enough to score a couple bottles for a few years, so I do think it's worth it. I guess it really depends on how much of an inconvenience the raffles are.

I would agree with a previous post about finding it at a bar. There are a few bars in Denver that carry it, though it isn't cheap. Right when bourbon started to get popular, I think I paid $45 for a glass of 23yr. Now it's probably double that.
    Posted:
    Cobra F8+ 9.5* - Project X EvenFlow 65x
    Cobra F8 3/4w - Tour AD IZ-7s
    Cobra Utility 19.5* - Tensei Blue 80s
    Cobra 3/4h - SmacWrap 780 ES x
    Cobra Forged Tec Black - AMT x100
    Cobra King Wedges 50/54/58 versatile - AMT S400
    Edel E-1
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • pappaf2pappaf2  3475Members Posts: 3,475
    pappaf2 wrote:

pappaf2 wrote:
    New bar opened in my area recently. They have Pappy at the bar, $70 a pour.

What year? 20 would be worth it...from what I have heard

Not sure, my brother in law texted me about it.

It was 15 year
    Posted:
  • third-times-a-charmthird-times-a-charm  2065Members Posts: 2,065
    pappaf2 wrote:

pappaf2 wrote:

pappaf2 wrote:
    New bar opened in my area recently. They have Pappy at the bar, $70 a pour.

What year? 20 would be worth it...from what I have heard

Not sure, my brother in law texted me about it.

It was 15 year

$70 a pour for the 15 year is a HARD PASS. $70 for any of them is.
    Posted:

Tried Widow Jane the other day. It was really good.

Anyone heard if Blood Oath Bourbon?

NAS BY NDP = PASS

What does that mean?

NAS means no age statement, NDP is non-distilling producer. Both of those things together = garbage whiskey. Just how it is these days.

Any bourbon without an age statement is generally less than 4 years old and with all the hype around bourbon these days there are new brands popping up left and right from big and small companies, and theyre just sourcing their whiskey from guys like MGP in Indiana and slapping a label on it - and charging $100 for it. It's ridiculous.

Anyway, here's a bourbon photo:

15625236_358754771183606_4337587209960947712_n.jpg
    Posted:
  • TurbsinthebunkTurbsinthebunk  66Members Posts: 66
    Was in Dayton, Ohio for work and went to a bourbon bar (I will leave out the name for now). Big selection. Charging $45/$65/$75 for Pappy 15/20/23 and $30 for Pappy Lot B 12 year (Weller 12). Bartenders were not fans of pappy. In a nutshell, they said it's marketing hype that has taken a solid, but unspectacular, bourbon and made it an overpriced unicorn that everyone chases after just to say they've had "pappy". That and they blamed Anthony Bourdain. Then they recommended Old Forester as a "bang for your buck" bourbon.
    Posted:

Was in Dayton, Ohio for work and went to a bourbon bar (I will leave out the name for now). Big selection. Charging $45/$65/$75 for Pappy 15/20/23 and $30 for Pappy Lot B 12 year (Weller 12). Bartenders were not fans of pappy. In a nutshell, they said it's marketing hype that has taken a solid, but unspectacular, bourbon and made it an overpriced unicorn that everyone chases after just to say they've had "pappy". That and they blamed Anthony Bourdain. Then they recommended Old Forester as a "bang for your buck" bourbon.

Funny about the Bourdain thing. Chefs like him and Sean Brock of Husk fame really set the bourbon world on fire. Now it's a literal dumpster fire.
    Posted:

Advertisement

Would you say it's not a good bang for your buck bourbon? I haven't come across any better bang for your buck bourbon in my opinion.

It's my go to well at the house I use for making Manhattans. Been getting some Bulleit on occasion as my well (it's nicely priced at Costco) but I don't think I like it better than Old Forester for that role.
    Posted:
  • TurbsinthebunkTurbsinthebunk  66Members Posts: 66
    pappaf2 wrote:

Would you say it's not a good bang for your buck bourbon? I haven't come across any better bang for your buck bourbon in my opinion.

It's my go to well at the house I use for making Manhattans. Been getting some Bulleit on occasion as my well (it's nicely priced at Costco) but I don't think I like it better than Old Forester for that role.

Sorry...didn't mean for it to come across that way at all. I was trying to say that they seemed to know what they were talking about. I think Old Forester is great. I like to get opinions from people that are in it everyday. I don't have a great deal of experience with higher priced bourbons. I have some Angel's Envy and Woodford Double Oaked at home which I think are good but don't think they justify the higher price over some of my favorites like Eagle Rare, Henry McKenna 10 or Old Forester.
    Posted:

pappaf2 wrote:

Sorry...didn't mean for it to come across that way at all. I was trying to say that they seemed to know what they were talking about. I think Old Forester is great. I like to get opinions from people that are in it everyday. I don't have a great deal of experience with higher priced bourbons. I have some Angel's Envy and Woodford Double Oaked at home which I think are good but don't think they justify the higher price over some of my favorites like Eagle Rare, Henry McKenna 10 or Old Forester.

Don't feel bad at all, I was just curious. There is so much bourbon out there it's hard to know it all. I am certainly of low knowledge on the high priced stuff, there's too much good cheap stuff for me to worry about it!
    Posted:
  • fsuspfsusp Florida 930Members Posts: 930

pappaf2 wrote:

Spot on!

I agree! Tons of solid bourbons at affordable prices!
    Posted:
    Cobra F9 10.5 turned down to 9.5 w/Atmos Black 6x
    Cobra F8+ w/Rouge Silver extra stiff
    Srixon U45 20* w/Rouge Silver 70 gram stiff.
    Srxion 565 4-7 irons, 765 8-PW irons w/PX LZ 6.0
    Cleveland RTX 4.0s 50 and 54
    Titleist Vokey 58/12 D grind.
    Edel or SGC Norwood or Xenon Kutlass
  • Hilltopper413Hilltopper413  207Members Posts: 207

NAS BY NDP = PASS

What does that mean?

NAS means no age statement, NDP is non-distilling producer. Both of those things together = garbage whiskey. Just how it is these days.

Any bourbon without an age statement is generally less than 4 years old and with all the hype around bourbon these days there are new brands popping up left and right from big and small companies, and theyre just sourcing their whiskey from guys like MGP in Indiana and slapping a label on it - and charging $100 for it. It's ridiculous.

I hate that mindset. Don’t lump all bourbons in a category together. Some NAS, NDP bourbons are garbage. Some are not. Each one of them should be judged on their own merits, not lumped together. The Blood Oath line is fantastic bourbon. The most recent release is a blend of a 12 yr, a 10 yr, and a 9 yr. Certainly not a 4 year as you suggest.

To the person who originally asked the question, if you come across a bottle of any of the four releases of Blood Oath at retail price don’t hesitate to grab a bottle.
    Posted:

Advertisement
    pappaf2 wrote:

Old Forrester is a good bang for buck bourbon, as is Bulleit. Some of my favorite “bang for your buck’s” are Weller Special Reserve, Heaven Hill Bottled in Bond, Old Fitz Prime, and Old Grandad 114.
    Posted:
  • TitleistHOGTitleistHOG Warner Robins, GA 1704Members Posts: 1,704

NAS BY NDP = PASS

What does that mean?

I hate that mindset. Don’t lump all bourbons in a category together. Some NAS, NDP bourbons are garbage. Some are not. Each one of them should be judged on their own merits, not lumped together. The Blood Oath line is fantastic bourbon. The most recent release is a blend of a 12 yr, a 10 yr, and a 9 yr. Certainly not a 4 year as you suggest.

To the person who originally asked the question, if you come across a bottle of any of the four releases of Blood Oath at retail price don’t hesitate to grab a bottle.

I found a bottle of Blood Oath 4 2018....so I grabbed it.
    Posted:
    I'll have to keep an eye out for Blood Oath. Thanks for the suggestion, HillTopper!
    Posted:
    Edel E-1

I found a bottle of Blood Oath 4 2018....so I grabbed it.

Awesome! Let us know what you think.
    Posted:
  • Shifty242Shifty242  121Members Posts: 121
    kalamazoo wrote:

Shifty242 wrote:

kalamazoo wrote:

Questions for the Pappy fans...is it worth all the trouble or should I just quit trying with the raffles?

In my opinion it is NOT worth the trouble. In Texas the likelihood of finding any PVW or BTAC at msrp is nearly impossible. They can be found at stores where they have been marked up significantly by the owners. I don't hold it against them. I'm just not going to be the customer who buys it at that price.

Question: in Michigan are you playing a raffle to buy at msrp? Or just to buy at whatever price the liquor store says?

If you like wheated bourbons, then there are many other options that are (1) readily available and (2) reasonably priced. Save your money and try it in a bar someday...

I'm sure it's marked up some, but the raffles are as close as I'm going to get to buying it at msrp. The Mega Bev chain of stores hosts them every year in my area.

By all means, keep playing the lottery. That could be an awesome payoff if you manage to win. Otherwise, you can shop on the secondary market.There are quite a few Facebook groups where bourbon is sold and traded and you can also try bottlespot.com. As always, proceed carefully...
    Posted:

Advertisement

I hate that mindset. Don't lump all bourbons in a category together. Some NAS, NDP bourbons are garbage. Some are not. Each one of them should be judged on their own merits, not lumped together. The Blood Oath line is fantastic bourbon. The most recent release is a blend of a 12 yr, a 10 yr, and a 9 yr. Certainly not a 4 year as you suggest.

To the person who originally asked the question, if you come across a bottle of any of the four releases of Blood Oath at retail price don't hesitate to grab a bottle.

Sorry, but I can't agree. Blood Oath is horrible, terrible whiskey but that's what's good about something subjective - especially for the companies who make it - is that there's always going to be someone who likes it and defends it.

I will say this - it is NOT worth the retail price of $100 which makes it a hard pass. That blend of second-hand whiskies they tossed in there that they proofed down to make palatable should not be sold for over $40. It's pure marketing and novelty.

If you want something good with a high proof - look for a Four Roses private selection from a local store, or a 1792 Full Proof private pick. Even the single barrel shelf versions of those bourbons will be miles better.
    Posted:
  • tips09tips09  309Members Posts: 309
    Oh crap I can't believe I just discovered this thread. This is going to be bad news. Anyways I usually like to stick with budget friendly bourbons and occasionally mix in a nicer bottle every now and then. For me personally my favorite budget friendly bourbons are Knob Creek and 1792. Any suggestions for similar flavor profile that I can try out? Doesn't have to be super cheap but I don't need a bottle of bourbon eating into my green fee money.
    Posted:
    Taylormade M3 9.5* Fujikura Atmos Black Tour Spec 6X
    Callaway Rogue SZ 15* Project X Hzrdus Yellow 6.0
    Srixon U45 23* Nippon SPB X
    Srixon Z765 4-PW Nippon SPB X
    Cleveland RTX 3 48* 54* DG S400
    Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind 58* DG S400
    Cleveland HB #1
    Srixon Z Star
  • ousuxndallasousuxndallas DFW 117Members Posts: 117
    Subscribed. I've had plenty of Pappy, and while it's a nice bourbon, I don't think it's worth a nice driver or set of irons.
    Posted:
  • 1puttTUT1puttTUT Lefty with occasional game  3402Members Posts: 3,402
    Does anyone know if Weller is available in Michigan? It seems like a good alternative to chasing pappy
    Posted:
    Cobra F8 10.5D w/ Hazardous Yellow
    Cobra F8 16* w/ Aldila Blue 2KXVs
    Titleist 915H 18* w/Aldila Rogue 95MSI
    Titleist 913H 21* w/Diamana 92Hy
    Titleist 915H 24* w/Diamana 92Hy
    Mizuno 919F 66-GW w/Nippon Modus3 105s
    Titleist Vokey SM6 54*/58* w/ Nippon Modus3 125s
    TP Mills Trad II roundneck
  • kalamazookalamazoo  523Members Posts: 523
    1puttTUT wrote:

Does anyone know if Weller is available in Michigan? It seems like a good alternative to chasing pappy

Weller couldn’t be LESS available in Michigan. It’s ridiculous. The secondary market for Weller is out of control. Sure, a few shops get Weller, but usual only the big name stores moving a lot of product. According to my local LS guy you have to buy a barrel now, so roughly +700 bottles, and your average LS doesn’t have the inventory space for that.

Apparently there’s never been a worse time to be a bourbon fan in Michigan.
    Posted:

Advertisement
  • Yanki01Yanki01 TEXAS 6288Members Posts: 6,288
    well....if you're ever in Texas you could very well find some on the shelf for retail.
    Posted:
    915D2 Rogue Silver 60S
    915F Rogue Black 80S
    915H Rogue Black 85S
    712u 4i Recoil F4 110
    714 AP2 5-PW Nippon Modus3 Tour 105x
    SM6 51.08F | 56.08M | 60.10S
    Scotty Cameron Mil-Spec 33/350G
    WITB || Scotty Cameron Mil-Spec
  • HackerDaveHackerDave  1434Members Posts: 1,434
    kalamazoo wrote:

1puttTUT wrote:

Weller couldn't be LESS available in Michigan. It's ridiculous. The secondary market for Weller is out of control. Sure, a few shops get Weller, but usual only the big name stores moving a lot of product. According to my local LS guy you have to buy a barrel now, so roughly +700 bottles, and your average LS doesn't have the inventory space for that.

Apparently there's never been a worse time to be a bourbon fan in Michigan.

Up until about 3 weeks, you could find Eagle Rare everywhere. Suddenly there is not a bottle to be found near me. Grabbed a couple when I was at the lake this weekend, but it really is amazing how hard some of these are to find.

Here's the kicker. Went into a local store with my son. They usually have a nice selection. Low and behold they have EH Taylor on the shelf....marked up to $80 a bottle! My buddy bought me a bottle here in MI for $42 two weeks ago. He also tried to sell my son a double rye for $58...and it was on the shelf at Kroger for $32. I will never step foot in that store again.

I have never seen Weller on a shelf anywhere. Our club had a few so I gave it a try. Very nice but I wouldn't lose my head over finding a bottle. It is getting disappointing when you visit a store and they have the same bottles on the wall every week. You know the good stuff is hidden in the back for a select few.
    Posted:
    Yanki01 wrote:

well....if you're ever in Texas you could very well find some on the shelf for retail.

What are your thoughts on Balcones? I've been trying to see if my buddy in Houston will make a pitstop to grab me a bottle next time he flies out here...
    Posted:
    Edel E-1
  • Yanki01Yanki01 TEXAS 6288Members Posts: 6,288
    thaar wrote:

Yanki01 wrote:

What are your thoughts on Balcones? I've been trying to see if my buddy in Houston will make a pitstop to grab me a bottle next time he flies out here...

Have never tried it before.
    Posted:
    915D2 Rogue Silver 60S
    915F Rogue Black 80S
    915H Rogue Black 85S
    712u 4i Recoil F4 110
    714 AP2 5-PW Nippon Modus3 Tour 105x
    SM6 51.08F | 56.08M | 60.10S
    Scotty Cameron Mil-Spec 33/350G
    WITB || Scotty Cameron Mil-Spec
    HackerDave wrote:

kalamazoo wrote:

1puttTUT wrote:

Weller couldn't be LESS available in Michigan. It's ridiculous. The secondary market for Weller is out of control. Sure, a few shops get Weller, but usual only the big name stores moving a lot of product. According to my local LS guy you have to buy a barrel now, so roughly +700 bottles, and your average LS doesn't have the inventory space for that.

Apparently there's never been a worse time to be a bourbon fan in Michigan.

Up until about 3 weeks, you could find Eagle Rare everywhere. Suddenly there is not a bottle to be found near me. Grabbed a couple when I was at the lake this weekend, but it really is amazing how hard some of these are to find.

Here's the kicker. Went into a local store with my son. They usually have a nice selection. Low and behold they have EH Taylor on the shelf....marked up to $80 a bottle! My buddy bought me a bottle here in MI for $42 two weeks ago. He also tried to sell my son a double rye for $58...and it was on the shelf at Kroger for $32. I will never step foot in that store again.

I have never seen Weller on a shelf anywhere. Our club had a few so I gave it a try. Very nice but I wouldn't lose my head over finding a bottle. It is getting disappointing when you visit a store and they have the same bottles on the wall every week. You know the good stuff is hidden in the back for a select few.

It’s getting silly isn’t it?! Hopefully it’ll become like the craft beer market and supply will meet demand. The bourbon market today reminds me of the beer market 3-5 years ago...nowadays you can waltz into some rundown gas station and buy Blacknote.

All we can hope for is BT increasing production and people gettIng so sick of secondary prices that they STOP paying them and the hype will die down.
    Posted:

Advertisement
    The problem is that beer can be made in less than 2 months...good bourbon, not so much. Hopefully the distilleries are taking note and increasing production like you said though.
    Posted:
    Edel E-1
  • Kyle MKyle M  276Members Posts: 276
    I grabbed a bottle of Eagle Rare a few days ago. A nice bourbon. My go to is Blanton’s but there was none to be found. Also scored a bottle of Weller’s Antique 107 yesterday. That gets opened on Sunday. On a side note - how is Michter’s?
    Posted:
  • Shifty242Shifty242  121Members Posts: 121
    Yanki01 wrote:

Happily confirmed.

There is no shortage of Weller Special Reserve, Antique 107 or the 12 year in the central Texas market
    Posted:

Advertisement
    Shifty242 wrote:

Yanki01 wrote:

Happily confirmed.

There is no shortage of Weller Special Reserve, Antique 107 or the 12 year in the central Texas market

Well then...any of my Texan brotheren feel like shipping a bottle? image/wink.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' /> PM me
    Posted:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file