2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Stiffest shaft you've ever seen/played

Tyler Harris

When browsing this site I always see the "low launch low spin shaft threads" that always seem to irritate people (including myself). So it got me to thinking about what really is out there for the 95% of WRXer's that swing 140mph and carry the ball 360 lol. So I guess the main question is for club makers: what is the stiffest shaft you've ever dealt with? And, if you ever hit it, what did it feel like?

Taylormade M1 460 2016 10.5* Mitsubishi Diamana Kai'Li 70s
Taylormade M1 2017 15* Miyazaki Kasuma Blue 70s
Taylormade M2 Tour 3 Iron Mitsubishi Diamana S+ Blue 72x
Ping iBlades 4-PW DG X100
Callaway Mack Daddy Milled 52*, 58* DG S400
Callaway X-Series Jaws 64* DG S400
Nike Method B2-05 36.5"

Stiffest iron shafts were a set of Jay Haas' fool-around clubs - Autralian Blades with the muscle ground off and replaced by an equivalent amount of lead tape up high on the back of the club. Shafts were Rifles which I measured at between 7.8 and 8.2. They played like a training club of some kind, and maybe that's what they were - I never talked to Haas about them. You could get reasonable launch if you got your body way out in front and then let them follow. No distance or feel whatsoever for my wimpy 90 mph 5i.

Stiffest driver I've hit was one I built for my eldest, who really does swing at 120+. Matrix Woven LT XX tipped an inch. Freq at 45"/D2 was 300 on the button, but it played much stiffer - that was one of Matrix less successful early experiments with low-spin. I could get decent launch if I teed it up about 4", but no spin at all. It was really too stout for the kid, too, although he could hit a penetrating low runner with it and had several roll out past 380, measured with a laser.

Highest freq was a stock Nunchuk, which freqed at 305 but played much looser - like a smooth Stiff.

2017 M2/Matrix Ozik F6M2
Cally XHP 15°/Altus or 3Deep/Striper H2
Cobra F8 4-5/F7M2
Cally XHP23/Altus hb or Cally X-Prototype 24°/Program 95
6-GW Cobra Forged One Length on flighted Matrix Program 95 OR MP-H4 ON PROGRAM F15
Scratch D/D wedges
Bettinardi QB3

Back in the days of Balata I found a V10 Ti Taylormade Japan Tour issue 3 wood that had a Callaway RCH36 X Strong tour issue shaft tipped to fit the head.

Not sure if anyone remembers the Japanese bubble shaft but it was the stock shaft in that head. I bought it after it had been reshafted, story goes that it had snapped as the trainee pro grabbed whatever shaft was lying around trimmed it to fit and glued it up.

I remember having it tested and it was measured as being the equivelant to a Rifle/Brunswick FCM of 13.0!

It felt like an axe handle but I could hit it a good 240m (265 yards)

Still got it somewhere it cost me $300 of my savings as a kid in the mid 90s

FCM 13.0 is incredible

Nike Method B2-05 36.5"

[quote name='Tyler Harris' timestamp='1326374144' post='4070513']
When browsing this site I always see the "low launch low spin shaft threads" that always seem to irritate people (including myself). So it got me to thinking about what really is out there for the 95% of WRXer's that swing 140mph and carry the ball 360 lol. So I guess the main question is for club makers: what is the stiffest shaft you've ever dealt with? And, if you ever hit it, what did it feel like?
[/quote]

I never measured it, but one of the guys I used to know was on and off the then Nike Tour/Buy.com Tour. He gave me a Great Big Bertha that had been shafted with some prototype Innovative (remember the UFO?) shaft. It was the stiffest thing I or anybody who'd swung it every felt. Absolutely no loading what so ever.

This guy really wasn't a long hitter, I just think he didn't want the shaft active at all.

[quote name='Tyler Harris' timestamp='1326377831' post='4070679']
FCM 13.0 is incredible
[/quote]

Yep! It is stupidly stiff!

I think it was tipped about 4 inches, the shaft was originally in a Great Big Bertha which was a bore through playing 45 inches. The three wood that wound up with that shaft in it was 42 inches and the BBGM would be at least an inch.

It was a pretty stout extra stiff to begin with!

My XX TP7HD tipped 1" was a nice stiff shaft but still oddly smooth to me. That was until last Friday when it cracked in half under my hands after hitting a ball. Same thing happened with a RIP in earl y August and Aldila sent a shaft out ASAP. This was a tour only version R11 graphics and no warranty replacement. :russian_roulette:

Dynamic Gold Tour X7

Its not impressive stiff to @gqjeffy, but for me, and old "fart" of an R flex player its 10 times overdone at least. Typical i hit it on the toe, so my wrists DO remember....its not made for human golfers so production is discontinued.
(not to many aliens on earth playing Golf :-)

Ive got one set left, waiting for someone who needs X100 flex, but 1 to 1.5 over length, so i know he will show up, but i dont think i will find someone in my area who fit this shaft strait in at std length , since its FCM 7.5 and made to handle 105 mph with a 6 iron

DO NOT SEND PMs WITH CLUB TECH QUESTIONS - USE THE PUBLIC FORUM.

Stiffest i've ever gamed was an x stiff tipped an inch in a 905r. Those titleist heads were a bore through hosel, so you weren't supposed to tip the shaft as much because the bore hosel made it play stiffer. Nothin crazy but it was definitely xx stiff. Got it shafted without knowing that, and it actually worked out fine. Believe it or not I got rid of it because it was an absolute moonballer.

I take a good rip at it around 112-115 and honestly....

Graffaloy Prolaunch Red X - which is on the firmer side of the flex charts.

I had it in a 9* PING G10 and I can honestly say, I only ever hit that driver good once.

I was talking on the phone with my cell phone provider before I got to the course and I was trying to fix a BIG mess, I ended up being on the phone until the 3rd hole and I was so mad, I ripped at one at it went forever. Smooth 325 up hill. The other 200 drives...not even close. lol

Shaft was a beast.

Alot of LD guys use 3 or 4X shafts tipped. Back about 8-10 years ago some were using 5X & 6X shafts. A couple of guys even had 0* drivers ( this was before we had to use USGA rules for tee height.) Cut an iron shaft about 3 inches below the grip, stick the steel shaft in the ground, stick a tee in the grip hole--instant high launch!

Two Penleys. 1st is a Ultron 45inch XXX stiff now tipped 1 inch, 1.7 degree torque. 2nd is Nash Factor R&D Stealth made for Jason Zuback. No idea what flex it is, could be XXXX stiff, need to get it measured. Brian Nash was on the Cobra Long Drive team with Zuback. 140MPH swing speeds.

Normal Penleys played stout back in the day.nash_zuback.jpg

[quote name='Howard Jones' timestamp='1326389130' post='4071739']
Dynamic Gold Tour X7

Its not impressive stiff to @gqjeffy, but for me, and old "fart" of an R flex player its 10 times overdone at least. Typical i hit it on the toe, so my wrists DO remember....its not made for human golfers so production is discontinued.

Ive got one set left, waiting for someone who needs X100 flex, but 1 to 1.5 over length, so i know he will show up, but i dont think i will find someone in my area who fit this shaft strait in at std length , since its FCM 7.5 and made to handle 105 mph with a 6 iron
[/quote]

These are great shafts and do not even feel to stiff to me LOL. Actually hardstepped a set and they r nice too with no loss of distance. My buddy plays them 2x hardstepped. Ya DG discontinued them because not many people playing them. For me they have been the best shaft I have ever hit. My DG dealer told me that on the launch monitor with the TX Monacos he's getting almost exact same numbers as the x7's. He actually thinks they r the x7 replacements after testing them.

Just like Tbomb, a prolaunch red X, but this was tipped 1.5".

Funny Backstory, I was given this shaft by a buddy who was getting rid of all his extras as his wife was mad that he had so much golf "crap" lying around. He said it was stiff, I didn't even bother looking at it as I didn't really need it and in the closet it went. I decided one day to pull it out and throw it in an old head of mine for fun. I always played my driver 44.5" in X flex at the time, and since this was a "stiff" shaft, I had the brilliant idea to tip it 1.5".

Went out to the range and couldn't figure out why it felt so bad,. I examined it and sure enough it was an X tipped 1.5", damn thing was like swinging rebar.

[quote name='mylo' timestamp='1326399861' post='4072845']
Just like Tbomb, a prolaunch red X, but this was tipped 1.5".

Funny Backstory, I was given this shaft by a buddy who was getting rid of all his extras as his wife was mad that he had so much golf "crap" lying around. He said it was stiff, I didn't even bother looking at it as I didn't really need it and in the closet it went. I decided one day to pull it out and throw it in an old head of mine for fun. I always played my driver 44.5" in X flex at the time, and since this was a "stiff" shaft, I had the brilliant idea to tip it 1.5".

Went out to the range and couldn't figure out why it felt so bad,. I examined it and sure enough it was an X tipped 1.5", damn thing was like swinging rebar.

[/quote]

This was my experience as well, when it first came out. My ss was not what it is now, nor was my sense of practicality. Had it in a Cleveland Hi-Bore XL Tour 8.5, and was all over the globe with 75% of shots. The other 25% were monstrous, however.

Titleist Tsi3 9/Tensei White 65x

Titleist Tsi2 16.5/Tensei White 75x

Titleist 818 h2 21/Tensei White 95x

Mizuno Mp-20 mb 4-Pw/Dynamic Gold 120x

Mizuno T22 50, 54, 58/Dynamic Gold s400

Bettinardi Studio Stock #8

Titleist ProV1x

[quote name='Howard Jones' timestamp='1326389130' post='4071739']
Dynamic Gold Tour X7

[/quote]
Btw, Id like to take a moment to thank you for the shaft chart that you guys made. Easily one of my most visited threads ever!

Nike Method B2-05 36.5"

Two shafts come to mind for me, and I'm much more "mortal" than some of you. :rolleyes: One day when I wasn't swinging well, the Devo 7 05 was absolutely rebar. Couldn't get it to flex.

The one I'm really thinking of is the Cleveland Fuji Fit-On Red X flex shaft in an older XL Tour. That thing was absolute rebar!

Titleist TSi3 10* (at 9.25*) w/ Tour AD DI 6X 
Titleist TSR2 15* w/ Tour AD MJ 8X
Titleist TSR2 18* Hybrid w/ Fuji Atmos Blue Tour Spec 8X

Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 3 iron w/ KBS Tour V S HS'd
Titleist 716CB 4-P w/ DG AMT TI X100 SS'd
Vokey SM7 Slate Blue 54.10 (1* strong) and 58.08 with Onyx DGTI S400
PING PLD Anser D 35"

2021 ProV1 or Left Dash ProV1x (or random other tour quality balls LOL)

Stiffest iron shafts I've ever played were a set of True Temper Black Gold "Reg" flex installed in a set of Bridgestone GC Mids. I should've known when all of my gorilla friends hit these irons and just loved they way the felt. Played with them for summer, always felt too stiff for me, took them in to get the freqencied out and they were in the mid-range X-flex on the charts.

[quote name='pdaero' timestamp='1326403122' post='4073185']
Two shafts come to mind for me, and I'm much more "mortal" than some of you. :rolleyes: One day when I wasn't swinging well, the Devo 7 05 was absolutely rebar. Couldn't get it to flex.

The one I'm really thinking of is the Cleveland Fuji Fit-On Red X flex shaft in an older XL Tour. That thing was absolute rebar!
[/quote]
I love my DEVO! I play the 6 06 and it's great, It just got kicked out of the bag though lol

Nike Method B2-05 36.5"

[quote name='vman' timestamp='1326406017' post='4073415']
My friends PX 7.0 iron shafts are like a solid steel bar to me,just feel horrible and he has a 1 inch tipped Grafalloy Blue X in a 44 inch driver with 7.5* which he hits high but just worm burners for me.
[/quote]

That's insane - what a beast. A Blue X TIPPED 1"? Wow. A Stiff uncut alone almost flexed to a normal X. I always wondered why my friend who played a 905S with a Blue Stiff didn't have X - it was bore-thru and was essentially X.

Titleist TSi3 10* (at 9.25*) w/ Tour AD DI 6X 
Titleist TSR2 15* w/ Tour AD MJ 8X
Titleist TSR2 18* Hybrid w/ Fuji Atmos Blue Tour Spec 8X

Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 3 iron w/ KBS Tour V S HS'd
Titleist 716CB 4-P w/ DG AMT TI X100 SS'd
Vokey SM7 Slate Blue 54.10 (1* strong) and 58.08 with Onyx DGTI S400
PING PLD Anser D 35"

2021 ProV1 or Left Dash ProV1x (or random other tour quality balls LOL)

[quote name='tbomb' timestamp='1326395410' post='4072377']
I take a good rip at it around 112-115 and honestly....

Graffaloy Prolaunch Red X - which is on the firmer side of the flex charts.

I had it in a 9* PING G10 and I can honestly say, I only ever hit that driver good once.

I was talking on the phone with my cell phone provider before I got to the course and I was trying to fix a BIG mess, I ended up being on the phone until the 3rd hole and I was so mad, I ripped at one at it went forever. Smooth 325 up hill. The other 200 drives...not even close. lol

Shaft was a beast.
[/quote]

+1. Nothing but low fades with a Grafalloy Prolaunch Red X in a 909D2.

[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]TaylorMade M2 9.5* Driver[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Ping G30 3 and 5 Wood[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Nike CPR 3 and 4 Ironwood Hybrid[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Titleist 718 AP1 5-GW[/size][/font][/color]
[font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"][color="#a4a4a4"][size=2]Cleveland RTX 4 SW 56/10[/size][/color][/font]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Odyssey Black Tour Design Series #5 Putter[/size][/font][/color]

[quote name='gqjeff' timestamp='1326386662' post='4071497']
My XX TP7HD tipped 1" was a nice stiff shaft but still oddly smooth to me. That was until last Friday when it cracked in half under my hands after hitting a ball. Same thing happened with a RIP in earl y August and Aldila sent a shaft out ASAP. This was a tour only version R11 graphics and no warranty replacement. :russian_roulette:
[/quote]

I had that happen with a ProtoPype that I really liked. I glued another broken shaft in it to make a 59 1/2" driver. After getting tired of that (didn't take long, but when I could hit a ball with it, the ball LEFT), I cut the extra length off, and tried it with the reinforced grip area. I actually liked it better, and played it for a good while, until I found a shaft that I liked better.

Might be worth a try before you pull it, if you haven't already.

[quote name='Tyler Harris' timestamp='1326405307' post='4073361']
[quote name='pdaero' timestamp='1326403122' post='4073185']

[/quote]
I love my DEVO! I play the 6 06 and it's great, It just got kicked out of the bag though lol
[/quote]

Have you sold the Devo 6 6 yet? I'd be interested in trying it.

HOF HD LD shaft. BEASTLY!!
[attachment=980555:309662_2053526133350_1100452451_31866358_800554185_n.jpg]

I was helping a LD competitor that went to regional qualifiers in Arizona late last year build this up to an Alpha C830 6.5º head. Very fun building LD clubs.

TM M1 460 10.5° .::. MRC Tensei CK Blue 6S
Adams XTD Ti 15° .::. Matrix 7Q3 S
TM R15 Black 19° .::. Fujikura Motore Speeder 8.1 S (tipped 2")
Bridgestone Airmuscle 2i 19° .::. PX HD2
Tourstage X Blade 709 CB 4i .::. Nippon Modus 3 125S tipped 1/2"
Tourstage X Blade 909 Ltd 5-PW .::. Nippon Modus 3 125S tipped 1/2"
Bridgestone J15 Black Ox 52°/58° .::. DG Onyx S400
Piretti 'Tour Only' Cortino II w/ Matrix U11-P01 Proto
Piretti 'Cortino LN' Long Neck Tour Ltd
Piretti Teramo CS
Bridgestone *B* Tour 330
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1059465-bpark1210-witb-bridgestone-pic-heavy/page__pid__9832393#entry9832393"]WITB Link[/url]