We have launched our new enhanced Editor. There is an overview and tutorial Here.

64* lob wedge any of you use? WOW. It's almost like cheating

mosesgolf ·  
mosesgolfmosesgolf  6924WRX Points: 254Members Posts: 6,924
Do any of you use a 64* lob wedge? I got one this week and tried it out this morning. Without a doubt this wedge (TM XFT 64) has filled a huge gap and weakness in my short game. I was playing a sunrise back nine 9 hole round and pretty much had the course to myself. I was hitting shots from everywhere and knocking most of them stiff. I play with a very strong grip and this 64* wedge mitigates all my trajectory issues. Bunker shots? Oh man on downhill lies and short siding myself, this wedge was very helpful as well. And wait til you need to hit some high/butterfly soft flop shots. Now I know how Phil feels like. image/biggrin.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':D' /> I can't wait until my next round. A long iron will come out of the bag and my wedge setup will now be 52, 58 and 64.
Posted:
Ping G400 MAX 9 Aldila 125 MSI 70 x
Ping G 14.5 3 Wood Tour 80 Stiff
Ping G 17.5 4 Wood Tour 75 Stiff
Ping G400 4-PW Modus 105 Stiff
Ping i25 UW SS 50*
Titleist Vokey SM6 54
Cleveland 588 60 
Scotty Cameron GO LO 3

Comments

• gqjeffgqjeff  1614WRX Points: 57Members Posts: 1,614
    I have played a 60 for years and I open that sucker up to about 70* all the time lol. Work on some cut flops if you really wanna see the ball obey you lol.
    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • CallawayLeftyCallawayLefty  2065WRX Points: 162Lefty Boomers Posts: 2,065
    Golf Digest this month has an article on this. They studied golfers of 2, 5, 12, and 15 handicaps and had them hit a 20 yard shot over a bunker with each a 56, 58, 60, and 64 degree wedge. On average, the 64 got the ball 13.3 feet from the hole as compared to 21.1 with the 56.

My new jaws 64* just showed up yesterday. Been playing at 60 bent to 62 for 2 years, going to go straight 64 now, with a 50 gap wedge and either my current 56 or a new 58 bent to 57.
    Posted:
  • acpar72acpar72  911WRX Points: 61Members Posts: 911
    this year im going 54* & 64*
    Posted:
    Nike Covert Fuji X
    Nike Covert Fuji X
    NIke T40 Tour 17 X
    Ping Eye 2 2-SW
    Cobra Trusty Rusty 61*
    Ping Shea H
  • MtlJeffMtlJeff Montreal 28938WRX Points: 1,710Members Posts: 28,938
    i've used one a lot and don't anymore. Sometimes it feels like cheating, but it's also an extreme club that you don't really need more then maybe once every couple of rounds. A 60 is enough for me in almost any situation, i'd rather have other clubs in my bag and just take a bogey when i end up super shortsided
    Posted:
    Cobra King F9 w/Fujikura Atmos TS Black 7
    Cobra King F9 w/Matrix Black Tie 80
    Callaway Apex 20 w/Diamana D+ 95
    Ping G410 4-SW w/S300
    Callaway MD 2.0 60 PM grind w/S300
    Odyssey O-works Red Tank #7
  • SplitterSplitter The truth is out there....  3396WRX Points: 55Members Posts: 3,396

Golf Digest this month has an article on this. They studied golfers of 2, 5, 12, and 15 handicaps and had them hit a 20 yard shot over a bunker with each a 56, 58, 60, and 64 degree wedge. On average, the 64 got the ball 13.3 feet from the hole as compared to 21.1 with the 56.

My new jaws 64* just showed up yesterday. Been playing at 60 bent to 62 for 2 years, going to go straight 64 now, with a 50 gap wedge and either my current 56 or a new 58 bent to 57.

That was a great little article. Im a 64* fan but was still surprised by the results.

As soon as I read it I thought about all the guys on WRX who invent new reasons to crap on anyone who asks about or uses a 64*.

Long live the 64* wedge!!
    Posted:
  • CallawayLeftyCallawayLefty  2065WRX Points: 162Lefty Boomers Posts: 2,065
    Splitter wrote:

That was a great little article. Im a 64* fan but was still surprised by the results.

As soon as I read it I thought about all the guys on WRX who invent new reasons to crap on anyone who asks about or uses a 64*.

Well I think the article said it didn't work as well for the 2 handicap, and since everyone on golfwrx is under a 2 cap, it makes sense that they'd sniff at it.
    Posted:

Advertisement
  • k bk b  987WRX Points: 0Members Posts: 987
    just got a 62*. didn't think it'd be much different than 60...but it is. it'll take some getting used to for sure. don't think i'd even want a 64.
    Posted:
    Titleist 910D2 7.75* - TBD
    Titleist 910Fd 14.25* - Rombax P95
    Titleist CB 710 2i - DG S400
    Mizuno MP-14 3-PW - DG S400
    Vokey C-C 53/13 & 59/05 - DG S400
    Fastback No. 1
  • golfnuthbgolfnuthb  690WRX Points: 0Members Posts: 690
    MtlJeff wrote:

i've used one a lot and don't anymore. Sometimes it feels like cheating, but it's also an extreme club that you don't really need more then maybe once every couple of rounds. A 60 is enough for me in almost any situation, i'd rather have other clubs in my bag and just take a bogey when i end up super shortsided

Same here, I agree. I bagged a 588 64 degree for a few years but ended up going to a 60 degree 5 years or so ago. I use the 60 with regularity and wouldn't waste the spot in the bag on a 64 again. I do miss messing around with it though. I use to flop over bushes, fences, trees ,you name it for fun in between holes.
    Posted:
    TM 09 Burner 9.5
    Cleveland Launcher Ti 15*
    Adams Idea Pro 18*
    Cleveland 588 TT 4-pw
    Ping Scottsdale Tr
    588 Ta rtg 45* 51* 56* 60* S300
  • Eph610PowerEph610Power  57WRX Points: 0Members Posts: 57
    So for those using a 64 (or even a 62), are you using it in sand traps and if so, what's the bounce?
    Posted:
  • G-BoneG-Bone Better than most...  2714WRX Points: 188Members Posts: 2,714
    mosesgolf wrote:

Do any of you use a 64* lob wedge? I got one this week and tried it out this morning. Without a doubt this wedge (TM XFT 64) has filled a huge gap and weakness in my short game. I was playing a sunrise back nine 9 hole round and pretty much had the course to myself. I was hitting shots from everywhere and knocking most of them stiff. I play with a very strong grip and this 64* wedge mitigates all my trajectory issues. Bunker shots? Oh man on downhill lies and short siding myself, this wedge was very helpful as well. And wait til you need to hit some high/butterfly soft flop shots. Now I know how Phil feels like. image/biggrin.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':D' /> I can't wait until my next round. A long iron will come out of the bag and my wedge setup will now be 52, 58 and 64.

That's my setup. I pulled the 3 iron a few years ago and never looked back!
    Posted:
    PING G410 LST Driver 9º ~ GD Tour AD IZ
    TaylorMade M5 Fairway 14º ~ GD Tour AD IZ
    Callaway Apex 19 Hybrid 20º ~ GD Tour AD HY
    Callaway Apex 19 Hybrid 23º ~ GD Tour AD HY
    Epon by Endo AF-505 Irons 5–PW ~ Rifle Project X
    PING Glide 2.0 Stealth Wedge 50/SS (51º) ~ Rifle Project X
    PING Glide 2.0 Stealth Wedge 56/SS (57º) - Tour Department 'SG' Grind ~ Rifle Project X
    PING Glide 2.0 Stealth Wedge 60/SS (63º) - Tour Department 'SG' Grind ~ Rifle Project X
    Titleist Scotty Cameron Circle T Del Mar Buttonback Select Tour Prototype (A026140)
    Titleist Pro V1 ~ #19
  • G-BoneG-Bone Better than most...  2714WRX Points: 188Members Posts: 2,714

So for those using a 64 (or even a 62), are you using it in sand traps and if so, what's the bounce?

Yes, often. I favor lower bounce as I'm a bit of a picker, so 7* for me on my 64.
    Posted:
    PING G410 LST Driver 9º ~ GD Tour AD IZ
    TaylorMade M5 Fairway 14º ~ GD Tour AD IZ
    Callaway Apex 19 Hybrid 20º ~ GD Tour AD HY
    Callaway Apex 19 Hybrid 23º ~ GD Tour AD HY
    Epon by Endo AF-505 Irons 5–PW ~ Rifle Project X
    PING Glide 2.0 Stealth Wedge 50/SS (51º) ~ Rifle Project X
    PING Glide 2.0 Stealth Wedge 56/SS (57º) - Tour Department 'SG' Grind ~ Rifle Project X
    PING Glide 2.0 Stealth Wedge 60/SS (63º) - Tour Department 'SG' Grind ~ Rifle Project X
    Titleist Scotty Cameron Circle T Del Mar Buttonback Select Tour Prototype (A026140)
    Titleist Pro V1 ~ #19

Advertisement
  • Lefty1987Lefty1987  322WRX Points: 40Members Posts: 322
    I have used a 64* wedge for 12 years now, am 24 now so have grown up with them. The first one was a bit silly, the ball would roll up the face and go straight up in the air. The groves on te modern ones now though, make them very playable.

Play the vokey 64.07, easy in sand, deep rough and approaches.
    Posted:
  • kevn357kevn357  663WRX Points: 50Members Posts: 663
    Splitter wrote:

Yes! Golf Digest is the scientific community of Golf. I can no longer crap on the 64* wedge since Phil used one and a magazine driven by advertisers is the holy grail of golf. Their hotlist is not complete garbage of their advertisers.

Thank you for setting me straight . Have fun hitting the ball 12 yards with a half swing for no reason other than loving that unnecessary lofted club. image/clapping.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':clapping:' />
    Posted:
  • V-twinV-twin  635WRX Points: 0Members Posts: 635
    The 64 degree with practice is a great wedge you need a committed swing and longer swing for shorter shots thus more things can go wrong than right. When executed properly a great addition to any bag.
    Posted:
    XR 9.0 Oban Kiyoshi Tour LTD 70 Stiff
    Xhot 3 Deep 14.5 Project X 6.0
    Xhot Pro Hybrid 16,18 Project X 6.5
    Cobra Amp Forged KBS Tour +S 4-P
    Ping Anser Circa 1972 (Mint)
    CG10 58 Lob wedge, CG10 50 gap wedge
  • GolfwolfGolfwolf  2635WRX Points: 0Members Posts: 2,635
    I added a 64º last year, I find it very useful on bunker and high soft shots around the green, I plan on keeping it in the bag for 2012.
    Posted:
    Callaway Big Bertha 10.5º
    TM SLDR TS / TM SLDR 3HL
    Callaway X Hot 25º hybrid
    Titleist AP1 714 5-W1 XP95 S300
    Cleveland 588 RTX CB 54º/58º
    Odyssey Tank Cruiser #7
  • armydiverarmydiver  748WRX Points: 55Members Posts: 748
    I bought a Ping model about a year ago and then promptly deployed a few weeks later to the Middle East (no golf) I really liked it around the greens. I recall it also being great for short side situations. I personally like a lot of versatility around the greens because I tend to miss quite a few GIR. Alas, not enough time with it to determine if it will permanently stay in the bag, but I can easily see it being part of the rotation depending on the course. Can't remember the bounce for sure, but I think it was around 10 degrees.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • sirparalotsirparalot  742WRX Points: 98Members Posts: 742
    Just my opinion but I already see so many amateurs that come up short on 98% of their approaches and this is club that can according to GD can get them closer when they do. Save some money and take 1 more club on the approach image/smile.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' /> I'm sure GD will help some companies sell a few more wedges this year based upon this test. They will return the favor with a few more ads in the mag. I like the idea of the 64" but I am not a long hitter and need hybrids from 175 to 200 yards. I find myself needing that distance more than I find myself short sided or needing a perfect 30 to 50 yard shot. Maybe if I move up a tee but I believe based on my HC and avg driver distance, that courses right around 6200 to 6500 are where I need to be and thats what I play. I have a 58" that I can open up and is automatic from the sand. I think it will be interesting to see others results because I know many players that just can't get used to the look of opening the face of their wedge to hit a shot. A square face 64" may help. For my game I don't see the benefit.
    Posted:
  • Saluki91Saluki91  607WRX Points: 100Members Posts: 607
    I carry 52*-58*-64*.

Provided you have the proper grind, and sufficient bounce, the 64* is a very useful tool.

I have a Ping Tour W with a T grind for use on my home course (soft, often wet conditions). When I travel to my Dad's place in AZ, I use an Adams Watson Players Grind, as the course is usually quite firm.

My home course has small, fast greens. Short-sided is bad. Short-sided and above the hole is death. The 64* wedge is like a phone call from the governor as the warden is reaching for the switch...

They are also quite handy for short and mid-range bunker shots. I find explosion shots are easier with my 64*, but I also find that a standard bunker shot much less intimidating.

The key is to treat it like any other wedge... accelerate, don't "flip", etc. I think people get into trouble with them when they try to make the 64* wedge do something, instead of letting it do something.
    Posted:
    TaylorMade M4 on Tour AD IZ
    TaylorMade M4 3HL on Atmos
    Titleist 816H 19*, 22*, 26* on Blue Board
    Mizuno JPX 919 Pro (6i-pw) on Recoil
    Mizuno T7 on NS Pro (51*, 56*, 62*)
    Bettinardi Studio Stock 28 Slotback
    2019 Srixon Z Star
  • SplitterSplitter The truth is out there....  3396WRX Points: 55Members Posts: 3,396
    kevn357 wrote:

Splitter wrote:

Yes! Golf Digest is the scientific community of Golf. I can no longer crap on the 64* wedge since Phil used one and a magazine driven by advertisers is the holy grail of golf. Their hotlist is not complete garbage of their advertisers.

Thank you for setting me straight . Have fun hitting the ball 12 yards with a half swing for no reason other than loving that unnecessary lofted club. image/clapping.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':clapping:' />

And thank you for being the *exact* guy I was referencing. I couldn't have typecast your response any better. Overly offended and condesending is great. You even used "holy grail" which I probably would have forgotten. Ypu did forget to tell me how bad i sucked for not opening up my 56* though. Other than that, quality work!
    Posted:
  • dre72dre72  512WRX Points: 97Members Posts: 512
    Splitter wrote:

kevn357 wrote:

Splitter wrote:

And thank you for being the *exact* guy I was referencing. I couldn't have typecast your response any better. Overly offended and condesending is great. You even used "holy grail" which I probably would have forgotten. Ypu did forget to tell me how bad i sucked for not opening up my 56* though. Other than that, quality work!

Exactly what I was thinking. I love condesending posts that have no point in a conversation.

By the way I love hitting high 12 yard shots that snuggle up to the hole after I short side myself.
    Posted:
  • Nandy14Nandy14  175WRX Points: 45Lefty Boomers Posts: 175
    Been using a 64 ever since titleist came out with the spin milled ones
    Posted:

Advertisement
  • LupinoLupino  559WRX Points: 0Members Posts: 559
    Loving the vokey 64 52 58 64 now
    Posted:
  • jgolfinjgolfin  444WRX Points: 77Members Posts: 444
    54 and 60 for me. I have found I can do alot of things with my lob wedge. Opening it up a bit works for me but you still have to commit to the shot because there is a larger error factor with that much loft.
    Posted:
    Titleist 917 D2 10.5 Oban Kiyoshi 65 04
    Srixon F45 15* KK stiff
    Bridgestone J15HY 21* Fubuki z80 Stiff
    Bridgestone Tour B X HI 21* 6.5 HC Evenflow Black
    Bridgestone Tour B CBP 5-PW $-Taper 120
    Bridgestone Tour B XW-1 50*,54*,58* Modus 125 wedge
    Scotty Golo 5

Sun Mountain Hybrid Bag
    Bushnell Z6
  • super20dansuper20dan  3364WRX Points: 10Members Posts: 3,364
    a really good wedge player dosnt need a 64-60 is enough for any shot you need on the course
    Posted:
    73 hogan apex
  • StarFleetGolferStarFleetGolfer  10612WRX Points: 282Members Posts: 10,612
    super20dan wrote:

a really good wedge player dosnt need a 64-60 is enough for any shot you need on the course

Yes, Phil is a hack.
    Posted:

TaylorMade M5
    TaylorMade Original One 13.5
    Titleist 510 18
    Cobra Forged Tec 2019
    Vokey SM7 54 and 60
    Scotty Cameron T22

• reg1900reg1900  1069WRX Points: 0Members Posts: 1,069
    super20dan wrote:

Not everyone is a good wedge player, people with higher handicaps have trouble opening the face of a wedge and playing a good shot, its not an easy shot to nail. Fear of blading it plus using distance balls that get no spin so they need a 64.
    Posted:

Advertisement
    super20dan wrote:

I'm sure you believe that and may even be true for you, but other people don't believe that and it isn't true for them.

As already mentioned, DG just tested this and even the 2HC did better with a 64*.

I'm not saying a bunch of Internet posters know better than you about what works for your game or even that GDs testing is perfect. But blankets statements made to sound like fact are what keep equipment myths going.
    Posted:
  • kygolferkygolfer  65WRX Points: 60Members Posts: 65
    About 2 1/2 years ago I acquired and then for the next year and a half tried a wide variety of wedges. They ranged from 50 degree to a 66 degree. My goal was to improve my wedge and pitching game from inside 50 yards. I set up an XL sheet to keep track of my actual performance. I tried a number of combinations of loft and bounce. I played best with a 50-51 degree gap wedge and 56-57 degree sand wedge. Prior to this I had not carried a gap wedge, but I learned it made the largest statistical difference. I was surprised to find I played best with an older Ping Eye 2 sand wedge than I did some of the newer wedges I tried. The one I had was well worn and had been a favorite years ago. This year in my bag will be a newly acquired Ping Eye 2 (excellent condition) matching the loft and lie of my old Ping Eye 2 and a gap wedge.

My numbers showed I was not consistent with the higher lofted wedges. I know when I can hit 8-10 of them in a row on the practice area I can put together a tight circle of balls. However, that is not how it plays out for me on the course.
    Posted:
  • SocratesSocrates Warning Points 1+ Winnipeg 9719WRX Points: 708ClubWRX Posts: 9,719
    Had mixed results with the 64º. Initially I hit it great, but found myself hitting it poorly after a while and lost confidence in it. It's currently sitting in the penalty box and not sure if it ever will get out. I know it's just me and a mental thing, but unless I find a real reason to kick something else out of the bag, it will be a healthy scratch.
    Posted:
    Ping G400 9º TFC 419 Stiff at 45"
    Cobra F8 5-6 Fwy at 18.5° Stiff
    Ping i20 3 Hyb 707H Stiff
    X2 Hot 4_-PW Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
    Vokey SM2 52º cc, Ping ES 56º and ES 60º
    Ping Sigma2 Valor at 34.75"
    MCC Align Midsize

Advertisement
  • hef63303hef63303  2887WRX Points: 162Members Posts: 2,887
    If tour pros believe that it is a useful club, then I don't know why the rest of us should not consider it. It won't be for everyone. If you play relatively flat courses without a lot of traps to hit over, you might never use it. But if you play course with very elevated greens and large sandtraps that you might just have to hit 15 yard shots up and over to a short pin, you will find a 64 to be very useful.

I love how some posters here think that everyone else's game and experiences are the same as theirs.
    Posted:

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.