LIVE Q&A with Golf Digest on The Hot List 2012 - Friday, Jan 20, 1PM ET

HipCheckHipCheck Toed it a lil, Romes.The Right CoastMarshals Posts: 6,235 mod
edited Jan 19, 2012 in Industry Chats #1
Get your questions for Mike Stachura & Mike Johnson in here!
[size="4"]LIVE Q&A BEGINS 1PM ET, FRIDAY, JANUARY 20 IN THIS THREAD,

but you may ask questions ahead of time below.

[/size]

We're lucky to have Golf Digest on to discuss this. Make those questions count.

Post questions ahead of time below. Another great chat for WRX! Thanks Mike & Mike and the Golf Digest crew.

- Rob
Follow our Two Guys Talkin Golf (TG2) Podcast on Instagram + Twitter + iTunes + SoundCloud

Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• The GreekGrindThe GreekGrind Invictus Members Posts: 840
    edited Jan 18, 2012 #2
    My question is about what didn't make the hot list.

The Callaway RAZR X Forged made the list last year, so I understand (disagreeably) why they wouldn't make it again this year.

But the Callaway RAZR X Musclebacks weren't on last year or this year. That surprises me a lot. Were they tested? What about them in your opinion, particularly in the performance category, kept them from being on the list this year?
  • gcnwmngcnwmn Members Posts: 38
    There will be many questions on what didn't make the list (i'm sure). So I will continue the trend image/smile.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

As somebody looking to upgrade their set, I'm fascinated with some of the reviews coming out for the Wilson Staff FG Tours V2 (Seriously.). Were these close to making the list? I've had to resort to looking at "Other" golf websites to get any info before demoing.

• TAZBOMTAZBOM Members Posts: 241 ✭✭
    Ralph Maltby, who produces the Maltby Playability Factor, a forgiveness indicator for irons, states that a club such as the Titleist AP1 is much more forgiving than the similarly sized TaylorMade R11. Do you find this to be so, and if so, how and why? Does that make one a better club than the other?
  • shortgame8shortgame8 Members Posts: 26 ✭✭
    I would like to know hands down, which driver was considered to be the longest by the majority of the testers.
  • Skaffa77Skaffa77 No place like the Sand Hills! ClubWRX Posts: 6,855 ClubWRX

My question is about what didn't make the hot list.

The Callaway RAZR X Forged made the list last year, so I understand (disagreeably) why they wouldn't make it again this year.

But the Callaway RAZR X Musclebacks weren't on last year or this year. That surprises me a lot. Were they tested? What about them in your opinion, particularly in the performance category, kept them from being on the list this year?

I remember Golf Digest stated that they didn't believe ANY amatuer should play musclebacks and as a result, they didn't list any that year or any year after. I remember the MP68's were out that year and were excluded.
  • YepyukonYepyukon Hinge + Hold Members Posts: 4,126 ✭✭
    edited Jan 20, 2012 #7
    Thanks Golf Digest for doing this and I hope you are prepared to be bombarded with questions, haha. I will not be near my computer Friday so I will ask my question now.

Would it be possible to release a 'special' GD issue that is only about the hot list? The reason I ask is that there were several clubs and balls that were submitted but didn't make the list (due to demand unfortunately which I consider to be very situational and should not be included in the rating...but I digress). I would love to see how EVERY club and ball performed. All too often, there is a club that several people would love to read a review about but there is little to no information on the club. Even negative reviews are good reviews.

I know people believe that it is a popularity contest governed by which vendor "contributes" the most and that Golf Digest has said that is not the case...this could be a great way to prove you are right image/partytime2.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':partytime2:' />

Thanks again Golf Digest
    Post edited by Unknown User on
    Srixon 785 10.5* w/ Oban Devotion
    Nike VR Pro Limited 15* w/ Diamana Kai'li
    Srixon ZU85 18* w/ Diamana WB
    Srixon ZU85 22* w/ AxivCore Blue
    Srixon 785 5 - 8 w/ Project X Flighted
    Srixon Z Forged 9 - PW w/ Project X Flighted
    Cleveland RTX 4 50* 55* 60*
    Nike Method 003 Oven Prototype
    Srixon ZSTAR XV Tour Yellow
  • Skaffa77Skaffa77 No place like the Sand Hills! ClubWRX Posts: 6,855 ClubWRX
    Just a comment. I'll give Golf Digest credit for doing a live Q&A with this audience. This could get brutal...

With that said, I rarely see implementable suggestions with all the critism we give. I might recommend that Golf Digest create a thread requesting constructive suggestions....basically how GolfWRX members would improve the selection/review process. They might be able to implement some feedback...

My question...outside of having a panel of judges for the human scores, would Golf Digest conduct and publish independent club testing with static variables on a machine (like an Iron Byron) for club results on the manufacturer's basic retail offering (stock shafts and settings)? Center shots, toe shots, heel shots...show distance, trajectory, dispersion, spin rates, launch angle...etc.

I like the human element in the reviews, but I would also love to see actual testing results that reflect the performance of a driver, iron, putter.
  • SPY ZINGERSPY ZINGER Members Posts: 3,313 ✭✭
    edited Jan 18, 2012 #9
    What influence (if any) does OEM advertising in Golf Digest have on the Hot List?
  • psdpsd Members Posts: 620
    Might future GD Hot List editions test and report back on the most effective and worthwhile training aids, instructional DVDs, and the like? Thank you for your consideration.
  • sedowneysedowney Members Posts: 516
    Since I will be on the course when the Q and A's start, AND it's my birthday image/partytime2.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':partytime2:' /> I'll ask mine now:

Any way possible to hide the logos or any representation of all of the companies that send you guys clubs. For example, would it be possible to maybe shrink wrap ALL of the driver heads ( minus the face of course ) and the shafts such that it could really be a blind study? I think that would make it very interesting.

Thanks for taking the time!

Shane
  • LuckyshotzLuckyshotz Members Posts: 2
    Looking forward to reading the Q and A's guys.

I was just wondering if you will be doing a 2012 ball hot list this year, and if so, when will it be out?

Btw, great Hot List this year!
  • spencer096spencer096 Members Posts: 101
    sedowney wrote:

Since I will be on the course when the Q and A's start, AND it's my birthday image/partytime2.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':partytime2:' /> I'll ask mine now:

Any way possible to hide the logos or any representation of all of the companies that send you guys clubs. For example, would it be possible to maybe shrink wrap ALL of the driver heads ( minus the face of course ) and the shafts such that it could really be a blind study? I think that would make it very interesting.

Shane

that's good right there.
  • babynoobbabynoob Members Posts: 18
    It seems that the Hot List always includes clubs from manufacturers everyone knows Nike, Callaway, Taylor Made, Mizuno, etc... Why doesn't Golf Digest do testing with more club manufacturers? Include clubs from Japan especially, there are clubs manufactured there that I would love to see go head to head with Callaway or Taylor Made. I am mostly talking about the irons like Miura, Akira, and others.
  • MtlJeffMtlJeff MontrealMembers Posts: 28,374 ✭✭
    Mike and Mike, are you aware that every major golf OEM won a gold medal for drivers? Doesn't that basically dilute the value of awarding one? It's basically a participation medal at that point
    Cobra F8+ 8.0 w/Aldila NV65 2kxV
    Callaway Epic Subzero 14* w/Matrix Black Tie 80
    Callaway Steelhead XR 18 w/S300
    Callaway 2016 Apex Pro 4-PW w/S300
    Callaway MD Forged 52,56 w/S300
    Callaway MD 2.0 60 PM grind w/s300
    SGC Northwood Center Shaft 400g
  • spencer096spencer096 Members Posts: 101
    what are the standards for evaluation? how can the RBZ fairway woods get more stars for performance even though a con is that it's low launching while the adams speedline fast 12 fairway woods get fewer stars for performance, yet one of the reviewers says it's easy to get in the air even if it's hit thin? and i know the RBZ is adjustable, but how do they get more stars for innovation when adams has had that slot technology out for awhile? kind of confusing.
  • oldpalchampoldpalchamp Members Posts: 1,205 ✭✭
    Every club rating has a "what's hot" category and a "what's not" category. It seems like the magazine constantly stretches to find a "what's not" item. If a club is really good, why the need to come up with a flimsy reason for the "what's not?"
  • karsten_bladeskarsten_blades Members Posts: 12
    I'm a senior, and before I go completely 'over the hill' I want to make a go at adding distance. What drivers and irons are interesting the Senior Tour players? They usually have a handle on what goes far. Your comments appreciated. Thanks.
  • Topspin2Topspin2 Originally Member #865 ClubWRX Posts: 533 ClubWRX
    [size="5"]+1 -[/size][size="5"] ka-ching!

[/size]

SPY ZINGER wrote:

What influence (if any) does OEM advertising in Golf Digest have on the Hot List?
  • jokerusnjokerusn nice shoes Northern NJClubWRX Posts: 4,691 ClubWRX
    Guys, thanks for doing this! I, like probably many others on here, love this issue but find little to no relevance for their game. I'm 6'2", 250# and most clubs don't come stiff enough from the factory for me. I totally understand you have to market to the largest segment of your readership but how about at least a little love to the gorillas who read? Like a small block of print highlighting which clubs work best for the fastest swingers (115+). On a similar note, which new clubs did you find work best (lower launch lower spin for drivers, etc) for the high swing speed folks?

Thanks again!
    M3 9.5°  Ventus 6-X
    M5 15°  GD Tour AD IZ-7X
    818H2 19°  HZRDUS 85 6.5
    790 UDI  PX Catalyst 6.5  -or-  TP UDI 3  PX HB6
    790 4i / Z745 5-9  Nippon 950GH 
    SM7 46F 52F 58D 62M  DG 115 / KBS Tour 120
    Mann MA/66

(¬¬) WITB Link
  • tbowles411tbowles411 ClubWRX Posts: 25,117 ✭✭
    Thanks for subjecting yourself to abuse. image/biggrin.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':D' />

Many of the clubs tested seemed like they were tested from the perspective of low to mid cappers. As a 24 handicap, I was looking for the perspective of a higher handicapped golfer. You know, someone who doesn't consistently hit the clubface well. Not all of us want to play "shovels" (I hate that word), but we're also not quite ready for primetime and hitting butter knives. Any reason why higher handicappers opinions were omitted?
    **Bag Construction in Progress**
    Mizuno ST190 G 9.5 (Lofted to 10)
    Mizuno ST190 3TS
    Mizuno CLK 2 Hybrid
    Mizuno Fli-Hi 4 Iron Replacement
    Mizuno JPX 919 Hot Metal (5-PW)
    Mizuno S18 Wedges - Blue Ion (50-7, 54-12, 58-16, 62-8)
    Scotty Cameron Phantom X12
    PING Vault 2.0 Craz-E **Backup**
  • DrumdogDrumdog Members Posts: 389
    edited Jan 19, 2012 #22
    My question is this...

Has there ever been any equipment on the Gold Hot List that just completely flopped in sales after the results were posted and if so, what was it?
  • RealTKRealTK Members Posts: 165
    SPY ZINGER wrote:

I can answer that. A LOT. Open the first page - What do you see? A 4 page spread of the driver that won the performance award. Coincidence? Then what? 2 Page Titleist add. Then what 2 page Rocketballz add. Connect the dots. I'd be lying if I said I didn't look forward to the hotlist every year but of course the have influence. And the response you'll get is the canned corporate response saying absolutely none. Why is that? Because if he said, "Well yea the OEM's do guide us a little" then no one is going to want to read the Hot List because they know it's BS.
  • landsharklandshark Members Posts: 887 ✭✭
    hmmmm. the only bridgestone club to make any list is the silver for the wedge? their whole lineup should be included with the gold winners. maybe they should advertise more? give me a break
  • keith723keith723 ClubWRX Posts: 2,044 ClubWRX
    edited Jan 20, 2012 #25
    I sincerely look forward to the Hot List every year. I really like the layout this year and the iPad app for Golf Digest is amazing - good call making it FREE for monthly subsribers - my only complaint is the clubs that feature ONLY comments about the looks of the clubs. I can gather my own thouhgts on the looks - I want to know how it performs, does it lauch high, low, forgiving, etc.

Good example is the PING i20 FW - a club I have looking forward too - says something like "first swing I was blown away, 2nd swing confirmed it" Confirmed what? That, along with the fact that it comes in a killer matte black finish, tells me nothing informative

I just want the reviews to focus on how the clubs perform comparitively

PS - golfwrx.com rocks - where else can you voice your opinion at 2am!! BEST Golf forum on the www!!!
    TaylorMade M5 9*, PX Evenflow T1100 White 65 6.5 @ 45"
    Callaway Epic 15*, Fubuki K 70-X
    PING G410 Hybrid 19*, PX Evenflow Black 85 6.5
    Callaway Apex Pro 16 (4-PW), KBS Tour-V 120x
    Callaway Apex MB 18 (AW), DG S-300
    Callaway MD4 Raw 54.10 & 60.08, DG S-300
    Taylormade Spider X TP, 35"
  • vwgolfervwgolfer Members Posts: 1,962 ✭✭
    What's NOT Hot is the fact that you give the same OEM's gold every year. Ping Titleist TM Callaway. etc.

There is no mention of shafts that come with the clubs listed in your Hot List. WHY? And why is there no talk of the shafts at all?
    F8 attas cool
    F8 3w. attas 3
    F6 hybrid. vts silver
    Z565. recoil 95
    Pur wedges
    Piretti Matera
  • kevn357kevn357 Members Posts: 663 ✭✭
    How much advertising dollars did the hotlist "gold" winners pay for advertising in Golf Digest magazine in 2011? Same for silver and bronze.

Kudos on the very popular hotlist though. It's not easy to get a 20 handi to buy a $400 driver to get that max distance on the GOLD list. But you guys do it every year and they don't catch on, lol. Very impressive.

I just find it weird that a GOLF magazine is encouraging bad golfers to spend $400 on a golf club and don't even mention shafts. Do the highest advertising OEM's write the hotlist for you? Throw a few shout outs to some competitors for giggles?
  • kevn357kevn357 Members Posts: 663 ✭✭
    keith723 wrote:

I sincerely look forward to the Hot List every year. I really like the layout this year and the iPad app for Golf Digest is amazing - good call making it FREE for monthly subsribers - my only complaint is the clubs that feature ONLY comments about the looks of the clubs. I can gather my own thouhgts on the looks - I want to know how it performs, does it lauch high, low, forgiving, etc.

Good example is the PING i20 FW - a club I have looking forward too - says something like "first swing I was blown away, 2nd swing confirmed it" Confirmed what? That, along with the fact that it comes in a killer matte black finish, tells me nothing informative

I just want the reviews to focus on how the clubs perform comparitively

PS - golfwrx.com rocks - where else can you voice your opinion at 2am!! BEST Golf forum on the www!!!

Why is it amazing if it gives you no information that you want? Of course it's free, it gives you nothing useful unless you want them to tell you how it looks.
  • sedowneysedowney Members Posts: 516
    spencer096 wrote:

sedowney wrote:

Shane

that's good right there.

Thanks Spencer, I thought that way there would be no " marketing influence ".

Shane
  • MyherobobhopeMyherobobhope hey there, blimpy boy. Flying through the sky so fancy free. Members Posts: 2,022 ✭✭
    The Cleveland Black is targetted at slower swing players, as the driver markets begins to fragment more, is the Hot List going to include "Player's Drivers" and "Game Improvement Drivers"?

I think low handicappers (and big hitters) are looking for something different out of a driver than most people...

Also, how did the Bridgestone J40 driver stack up results wise? It seems like the perfect example of a club that faster swinging players would like and slower swinging players would hate.

Current Bag (Rebuilding as of 5/6/19)
    Driver: Adams Fast 12 LS with Matrix Black Tie (to be replaced)
    3W: Adams Fast 12 with Excalibur (to be replaced)
    Hybrid: Bridgestone j40 with Excalibur (to be replaced)
    4-9: Taylor Made Oversize (to be replaced)
    PW: Mizuon HMP with DG120 Stiff (5/6)
    50 degree Vokey with DG120 Stiff (5/6)
    56 and 60 degree Cleveland Wedges (to be replaced)
    Odyssey Tank #7 (only club I'm keeping this season)

• moegolfer11moegolfer11 steal your face right off your head Members Posts: 2,185 ✭✭
    Why no blades? Yes there are some of us out there that still play them. Also I remember in the past you used to do Balls on the Hotlist. Why Not anymore?
    Taylormade M2 10.5° Graphite Design AD-BB 7x
    Titleist 913 FD 15° Diamana 'Ahina 70x
    Titleist 716 AP2 3 iron Accra 110i
    Titleist 716 MB 4-PW Project X 6.0
    Vokey Jet Black SM7 52° 56° 60° S400 Tour Issue Black Onyx
    Scotty Cameron Newport Teryllium Sole Stamp