Driving Ranges with Grass?

Hi,

I'm in Southeast Denver area/Tech Center area. Do any of the courses/driving ranges have Grass driving range? I know, time of year I expect to see nothing but mats. But as weather improves which courses have driving range with grass to hit from?

Mike

Comments

• pseudoswedepseudoswede Members Posts: 1,319 ✭✭
    edited Apr 10, 2012 #2
    1lostball wrote:

Hi,

I'm in Southeast Denver area/Tech Center area. Do any of the courses/driving ranges have Grass driving range? I know, time of year I expect to see nothing but mats. But as weather improves which courses have driving range with grass to hit from?

Mike

Family Sports (next to Centennial Airport) has a rather large grass area (and nice short game facility). Plus, it's always neat to see all of the planes landing. One downside is that EVERYONE likes to hack it up, so it can be difficult finding a nice 1.5 sqft area of grass to hit off of. It's also nice that it's open late, but you can forget trying to track your ball at night.

I used to be a range member at Meridian Golf Club. You got unlimited range balls, use of the short game facility, use of the 3-hole practice course, some clinics, and one free weekday round on the regular course. The only downside (if you can call it that) is that the range members are segregated from the regular members. That means you are carted to the opposite end of the range; very few people used it, and it was always in immaculate shape. That said, often times, I would stop by the range at 7am on my way to work, and I would just hit on the regular member side and no one gave me grief. Back in 2003, it was $500 for 12 months (I would wager it's still the same price).

Another (and maybe only) grass range in the area is Lone Tree Golf Club, which is where I used to go before I discovered Meridian.
    "In the end, everything is fine; if it is not fine, it is not the end."

--Unknown

Ping G LS Tec 9° 65X
    Ping S56 3-PW (purple dot)
    Ping Glide 52°, 56°, 60° (purple dot)
    Ping Redwood Piper S 34"
    Front Range Golf Club (frgclub.com)
  • MileHiMileHi Posts: 204

1lostball wrote:

Hi,

Mike

Family Sports (next to Centennial Airport) has a rather large grass area (and nice short game facility). Plus, it's always neat to see all of the planes landing. One downside is that EVERYONE likes to hack it up, so it can be difficult finding a nice 1.5 sqft area of grass to hit off of.

I used to be a range member at Meridian Golf Club. You got unlimited range balls, use of the short game facility, use of the 3-hole practice course, some clinics, and one free weekday round on the regular course. The only downside (if you can call it that) is that the range members are segregated from the regular members. That means you are carted to the opposite end of the range; very few people used it, and it was always in immaculate shape. That said, often times, I would stop by the range at 7am on my way to work, and I would just hit on the regular member side and no one gave me grief. Back in 2003, it was $500 for 12 months (I would wager it's still the same price).

Another (and maybe only) grass range in the area is Lone Tree Golf Club, which is where I used to go before I discovered Meridian.

I called Family Sports yesterday, and they said they're opening the grass range this Friday thankfully. I try to get out there once or twice a week on my lunch break from DTC, had gone to Saddle Rock a couple of times to hit on grass recently.
  • masamitsumasamitsu Members Posts: 2,481 ✭✭
    I'm a member at Heritage Eagle Bend off of Gartrell and E470. We have a pretty nice grass range .. and if I recall correctly the daily range rate is $10 .. that's right work on your game all day for $10 and never worry about running out of balls. One thing I should mention is the short game are is a bit lacking.
    Mizuno JPX900 EvoIII S (weights center channel port 1 & 2)
    Mizuno GT190 Atmos Blue 6S
    Mizuno CLK 19* Speeder EVO HB S
    Titleist 4i AMT S300
    Mizuno JPX 900 Forged 5-G KBS Tour
    Mizuno S18 54.8/58.8
    Carbon Ringo 1/4
    Balls : 2017 ProV1x / KSig / Vice Pro+
    edited Apr 16, 2012 #5
    Family Sports is offering their annual range card sale. Pay $100 for a range card, and get $75 free (normally it's $45 free). Medium buckets (84 balls) are $8; large (168 balls) are $13.

--Unknown

Ping G LS Tec 9° 65X
    Ping Redwood Piper S 34"
  • MileHiMileHi Posts: 204
    I've done that in the past and might do it again, but I went to Lone Tree's range last week for the first time, and was pretty impressed. It's only 5 minutes farther for me, and worth the drive to have plenty of room. Family Sports gets so packed during lunch that you have to get there pretty early to stake out a patch of grass if you can find one. Didn't get a chance to check out the short game area though, FS has a really nice one but also usually pretty busy.
    MileHi wrote:

but I went to Lone Tree's range last week for the first time, and was pretty impressed. It's only 5 minutes farther for me, and worth the drive to have plenty of room.

My only beef with Lone Tree is that the range balls are kind of expensive.

Here is a coupon valid for another 10 days for 2-for-1...

http://www.ssprd.org/southsubnew/page_disp.asp?0=0&p=coupon-range-jan-2012.pdf

--Unknown

Ping G LS Tec 9° 65X
    Ping Redwood Piper S 34"

I used to be a range member at Meridian Golf Club. ... Back in 2003, it was $500 for 12 months (I would wager it's still the same price).

Would've lost. It's $525 now.

--Unknown

Ping G LS Tec 9° 65X
    Ping Redwood Piper S 34"
    edited Jun 6, 2012 #9
    Went out to Family Sports at lunch today to hit some balls (for the first time in 2.5 weeks). The grass was in fantastic shape. That said, I'd highly recommend going when they move the ropes. Not sure what day of the week they do it.

As another aside, I uploaded a "course map" of the range on SkyDroid (it's something like "Family Sports Golf Course - Range"). The only difference now is that they moved the 75yd barrel to another location.

--Unknown

Ping G LS Tec 9° 65X
    Ping Redwood Piper S 34"