The big winners from the 2012 PGA Merchandise Show

zakkozuchowski ·  
zakkozuchowskizakkozuchowski GolfWRX EditorMembers  1163WRX Points: 70Posts: 1,163 Platinum Tees
Joined:  edited Jan 29, 2012 in 2012 PGA Merchandise Show #1
By Zak Kozuchowski, GolfWRX Managing Editor
The big winners from the 2012 PGA Merchandise Show

By Zak Kozuchowski

GolfWRX Managing Editor

The 2012 PGA Merchandise Show produced enough story lines to last the rest of the year, but there were a few companies that stepped up their game this year. Here's the GolfWRX list of the big winners from this year's event.

TaylorMade-Adidas

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/2012/01/28/the-product-with-the-most-buzz-taylormade-rbz/"](click here for the review)[/url] certainly helped make TaylorMade the most crowded exhibit at the show, but it was the company's impressive show strategies that made it this year's biggest winner.

TaylorMade's decision to use FlightScope monitors for all of its hitting bays at demo days was a genius move. When you promise double-digit gains from a new product line, you better be able to prove it. By providing each product tested with a custom fitter, TaylorMade insured that every golfer was seeing the biggest possible distance gains. This testing process produced longer lines that other setups at demo day, but most golfers didn't seem to mind all that much. TaylorMade offered free hotdogs and beer that made the wait easier to swallow. While golfers refueled, they could sit back on TaylorMade's stadium bleachers and watch golf teaching legend Jim Flick explain the finer points of the golf swing.

TaylorMade continued its dominance at the Orange County Convention Center, where it had the largest presence of any company. Not only did TaylorMade have its own room at the show, it also had a VIP concert area that treated fans to a surprise Thursday night concert by George Throrogood and the Destroyers. The concert offered free food and drinks in a space that was larger than nearly every other other company's display. [url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/578559-2012-pga-show-taylormade-adidas-ashworth-pictures/"]Click here for pictures and discussion.[/url]

What impressed me most about TaylorMade at this year's show, however, had nothing to do with the money the company spent on its exhibits. After a lot of negative feedback on the dull finish of the ATV wedge, TaylorMade decided to replace it with a new satin and chrome finish that is as good looking as the company's booth babes.[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/577855-golfwrx-exclusive-taylormade-atv-wedge-new-finish/"]Click here for TaylorMade pictures and discussion.[/url] [url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/579119-2012-pga-show-booth-babe-contest/"]Click here for the booth babes contest[/url].

As dominant of a force as TaylorMade is in the industry, the company proved that it's not too big to admit a mistake, and its quick fix of the ATV wedge is a great example of why TaylorMade is on top of the industry.

Yonex

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/579565-yonex-interview-video-pics-and-more-pics/page__gopid__4172753#entry4172753"]Click here for video, pictures and discussion. [/url]

Yonex's muscle back irons are the same model played by Ishikawa, and are made of S25 Carbon Steel from the Kyoei forging house in Japan, making it one of the best looking and best feeling blades in the world. The EZONE woods lineup also offers great looks, and Yonex's in-house designed shafts might be one of the most interesting products this year. While U.S. consumers will likely gravitate to more established shaft companies, it's a novel idea for Yonex to have control of the entire shaft production process.

Footjoy

Adams Golf

[font="Georgia,"]

[/font]

[font="Georgia,"]

[/font]

[font="Georgia,"][font="Georgia,"]The Speedline XTD Super Fairways and Super Hybrids are going to be huge hits for Adams. I didn't test them on a launch monitor, but I didn't need to. They're cannons.

My only concern is the slot on the crown, which I found to be distracting. While I would probably learn to live with the look after a while, I wonder why Adams didn't choose a matte black finish that could better conceal the slot. On the other hand, the Mercedes silver paint does offer a terrific contrast. And I believe the slot on the crown adds an extra bit of performance and forgiveness that will give the RBZ fairways and hybrids formidable competition.

[/font]
Posted:
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• TheMoneyShotTheMoneyShot ***FIGJAM/Twirl of Doom*** Members  31979WRX Points: 1,721Posts: 31,979 Titanium Tees
    Great review, thanks! No buzz from Cobra/Puma? I thought they would have made a major presence this year with the signing of RF.
    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • zakkozuchowskizakkozuchowski GolfWRX Editor Members  1163WRX Points: 70Posts: 1,163 Platinum Tees

Great review, thanks! No buzz from Cobra/Puma? I thought they would have made a major presence this year with the signing of RF.

More on Puma/Cobra to come. Stay tuned this week.

Posted:
  • CwingCwing #TaylorMade TwistFace Experience 2018 Go Big Blue!!! 8x Champs. Who Dey !!! Go Bengals,Members  8347WRX Points: 332Handicap: 12.1Posts: 8,347 Titanium Tees
    Great stuff and keep up the good work. I would love to hear the side by side comparsions of Adams V slot and RBz from not only lenght but also forgiveness,
    Posted:
    TaylorMade Kingdom M4 9.5* Red 5S stiff Atmos 44.5”
    TaylorMade M4 3HL 16.5* fairway stiff Atmos
    TaylorMade M4 3 hybrid stiff Atmos
    TaylorMade M4 4 hybrid stiff Atmos
    PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s
    Cleveland RTX 54*
    Cleveland RTX 58*
    Seemore si5
    Garmin g6/Precision Pro Nx7 Pro slope
    http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/838786-cwings-witb-2013/
    https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1580770/recaps-the-taylormade-twistfaceexperience-7-golfwrx-members-visit-the-kingdom-for-an-exclusive-m3/p1
  • turtleheadturtlehead Members  134WRX Points: 45Posts: 134 Fairways
    would love to hear someone's side by side data review of the Adams and RBz
    Posted:
  • TMLTML Members  1792WRX Points: 57Posts: 1,792 Platinum Tees
    how is it possible to have no TaylorMade demo days in arizona prior or soon after the release?
    Posted:
  • jabrchjabrch Members  3915WRX Points: 1Posts: 3,915 Bunkers
    How'd Callaway do with the RAZR Fit? Might be a make or break issue for them?
    Posted:
    Ping G30 Tour 65
    Callaway XR Pro 3 Wood
    Callaway Xhot 3 and 4 Hybrid
    Callaway XR 5-AW - Recoil 680 F4 shafts
    Vokey 60 degree
    STX Putter
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • xerproxerpro Is it weird that my 3 wood has lower loft than my driver? Members  2319WRX Points: 95Handicap: 1.6Posts: 2,319 Platinum Tees
    turtlehead wrote:

would love to hear someone's side by side data review of the Adams and RBz

Check out my head to head review on page 4 of this thread....

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/559055-2012-adams-speedline-fast-12-pics/"]http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/559055-2012-adams-speedline-fast-12-pics/[/url]
    Posted:
    Taylormade M4 9.5* AD-GP 6
    Taylormade m2 15* Motore Speeder 7.2TSX
    R15 21* Speeder 869X
    Adams XTD 5-PW Aldila Rip Tour 115
    MD4 52/58 MD3 64
    OG Scotty Cameron Futura 33"
  • kafka01kafka01 Members  888WRX Points: 0Posts: 888
    TaylorMade's decision to use FlightScope monitors for all of its hitting bays at demo days was a genius move. When you promise double-digit gains from a new product line, you better be able to prove it

Really? So Taylormade promised me huge gain with their 2011 R11 (6yards?) and now they try to top this by telling me that basically the same club hits it 17 yards further? Oh come on... I almost spilled my water when i saw their slogan...

Instead of hyping up those silly numbers that are never even close to realistic and honest, why dont you actually do some research on this stuff and write an article about the bullshitting of the customer each year, because they certainly dont get what they pay for.
    Posted:
  • xerproxerpro Is it weird that my 3 wood has lower loft than my driver? Members  2319WRX Points: 95Handicap: 1.6Posts: 2,319 Platinum Tees
    kafka01 wrote:

TaylorMade's decision to use FlightScope monitors for all of its hitting bays at demo days was a genius move. When you promise double-digit gains from a new product line, you better be able to prove it

Really? So Taylormade promised me huge gain with their 2011 R11 (6yards?) and now they try to top this by telling me that basically the same club hits it 17 yards further? Oh come on... I almost spilled my water when i saw their slogan...

Instead of hyping up those silly numbers that are never even close to realistic and honest, why dont you actually do some research on this stuff and write an article about the bullshitting of the customer each year, because they certainly dont get what they pay for.

Taylormade's 17 yard claim is not relative to the R11S. The 17 yard claim is for the RBZ fairway wood over last years model.

And I can assure you, the claim is legit.

Take your 3 wood and find a place that has the RBZ...(everyone will as of 12:05 Thursday night/Friday morning)

Then look at the truth of the numbers.

On another note....The R11s is offering a 30 day guarantee. If it doesnt do what you want it to, you can return it within 30 days for full refund. Pretty ballzy
    Posted:
    Taylormade M4 9.5* AD-GP 6
    Taylormade m2 15* Motore Speeder 7.2TSX
    R15 21* Speeder 869X
    Adams XTD 5-PW Aldila Rip Tour 115
    MD4 52/58 MD3 64
    OG Scotty Cameron Futura 33"
  • kafka01kafka01 Members  888WRX Points: 0Posts: 888
    Intresting - as soon as i heared the TM guy say "more flexible" i thought of the COR. And i thought they maxed it out already, but this didnt seem to be the case for steel fairway woods so far due to construction issues.

"We have never seen a fairway wood that has gone right up to the USGA speed limit," Olsavsky says. "We had some things made from titanium that got close, but no one wanted to pay for them, so we're excited to be able to produce a product in a steel construction that goes right up to the USGA limits for coefficient of restitution [COR] and CT [the face's trampoline effect]."

But now the question is - when they maxed the COR with a fairway wood that gives me 17y more - what do i need a driver for anymore? Because unless they start installing 48inch shafts, its hard to argue the driver will have anything close to that in distance increase.
    Posted:
  • Ies3343Ies3343 Members  61WRX Points: 0Posts: 61
    I like those Adams Hybrids and Super Fairway, but that black face and sole will get destroyed after about 25 balls here in Florida, they already look half trashed in these pics...
    Posted:

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.