2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Does anyone still game Ping Eye 2's?

Hit em good

Or do they just not compare to modern clubs performance?
Just wondering if anyone games Ping Eye 2's.

Or, do they just not compare, performance wise, to today's clubs? (I know the lofts are different, no comments needed there).

I know the technology is not the same, blah, blah, blah,.... but the bottom line question is: Do they perform as well as today's clubs?

Driver: Ping G25

4w & 7w: Ping G25

23° Hybrid: Ping G25

5i - pw: Mizuno MP64

54° & 58°: Cleveland RTX 4 raw

Putter: The Wilson 8802 (vintage model)

Ball:  Titleist Pro V1x
Bag: Original Jones Golf Bag (green)

I sure think so. I have AP1's, JPX Pro's and Eye2's. I am much more consistent with the Eye2's in distance and direction.

I have a set of BeCu Eye2 +'s on the way just to compare and then pick the best one for my game. (mid hdcp..12)

They both have the ZZ Lite shafts which are quite stiff but for some reason, I don't notice it much on the course. (I normally use regular)

Cheers,

Mats

Any golfer that doesn't have a $85 dollar set of Eye 2's in the bag or in the closet is missing out. They cost almost nothing, and play as good or better than anything on the market. My set, i picked off the used rack at a golfsmith, and the PW grip was rotted, and the shaft had some rusting.... so i played dumb and asked if they could take money off the set, the manager knocked them down from 125 to 79.99. Grabbed 8 VDR's with the money saved and headed home. I have owned 3 sets of Eye 2 + 's but this one isn't going anywhere. Eye 2, Black dot, SS, square groove, ZZ lite as stock as can be. They may not be the best clubs i have ever played, but i play my best with them...does that make sense? I am a single HC recreational golfer (meaning i shoot in the 70's and i play from the middle tee's like a normal human) The distance i get with these clubs is exactly the same as modern irons even though the lofts are about 4 degrees weak. Miracle? keep dreaming... It's the magic hand of Karsten.

I have since sold all other irons, and these Pings will NEVER wear out. I don't even LOOK at new irons (lying i checked out the J40 CBs but who wouldn't) I also have the matching lob wedge which i game.

Here is an post from another site that pretty much sums it up... I did not write this.

[size="2"]I am an Eye 2, ZZ-Lite bigot. (including all of its plus, plus-no-plus etc iterations).
There has never been an iron that changed the iron game of [url="http://forums.golfreview.com/showthread.php?t=14329#"]golf[/url] as much as the Ping Eye 2. There has been no game improvement iron since its inception that has provided as great a quantum leap as the Eye 2. To this day the Eye 2 remains a capable implement for the novice golfer to the national class amateur.
The key to this was the melding of the ZZ-Lite shaft to the wide based cavity back head. The bane of it was the intentional obfuscation of the ZZ-Lite shaft. I haven't talked to Ping in 4 years, but to that day, PING itself vehemently insisted that the ZZ-65 was the replacement for the ZZ-Lite. Anyone who has swung both shafts knows that they could not be more different shafts. I gave up on their total nonsense and went on my own hunt.
After playing Wilson Staffs and Hogan Apex for years, I can still remmeber my gag reflex the first time I was handed an Eye 2+ and set it by the ball. That day I learned the meaning of "beauty is, as beauty does".
The ZZ-Lite is not the TT Lite, although they hold many similar qualities. From the best measurements I could take, the ZZ-Lite is a design anomaly. Yes, it is a stiffer shaft. But that begs the question, 'if stiff, how could so many novices just walk into the club and go so well from day one?'. The kickpoint is above medium. Another reason a novice should have trouble with it.
It's in the tip. It's buttery soft. But somehow the other sturdy design characteristics keep it from being a flyallovertheplace under dynamic conditions. It is also matched perfectly to the head.
Other outrageous bigotry.
The closest to the ZZ-Lite in dynamic action is the Microtaper applied in the old Cleveland TA-5.
If you get a set of Eye 2 (+ or whatever), you are missing the fun if you don't get the ZZ-Lite in them.
The JZ shafts were an utter abomination. The CS-Lite is better, but still not the real gig.
PING essentially wasted 10 years, until they developed the G2 and G5(?), which have the delightful drink and drive characteristics of the Eye 2. They are stupid easy to [url="http://forums.golfreview.com/showthread.php?t=14329#"]hit[/url].
It was either 2 or 3 years ago, 4 of the Geritol crowd invaded the quarter finals of the US Amateur. At least one of them was over 50. They all tanked to the young lions. But 3 of them got to that point playing Eye 2(+) irons.
When you get to that poi But do not sell your Eye 2(+)s. Keep them as second bag, or live your [url="http://forums.golfreview.com/showthread.php?t=14329#"]life[/url] in regret as I do. You just don't sell the most comfortable chair you ever sat in.nt in the season when you are consistently striking the ball, you may want to get a set of forged for the better player. Nothing wrong with that.[/size]<br class="Apple-interchange-newline">

Cobra Bio Cell 11*
F6 Baffler 17.5
Hibore Hybrid 22*
850 Forged 5-GW
MP-T10 54, EYE 2 61
Odyssey 7

Great post, wolfpack............I know several guys who share similar opinions as yours on the Eye2's..............and the ISI's.............as a matter of interest have you tried the ISI's? and what do you think of them compared to the Eye2's?.................Have you ever tried the Cushin shafts? I tried them in some copper ISI's and loved them but just could not afford to buy them at the time. Love to hear your views.

Driver - Ping G400 LST 8.5* Tour Stiff 65
Fairways - Ping G410 #5 17.5* Evenflow 75 Stiff (set at big minus 16* = 3/4 wood)
Hybrids - Ping G 19* #3 Stiff Tour Stiff 90 and Ping G410 24* #4 Tour Stiff 85
Irons - Ping G410 irons 5-PW Nippon N.S.Pro 950 GH Stiff white dot +1/2" 
Wedges - Ping Glide 3.0 50* green dot +1/2", Ping Glide 3.0 54* black dot and Ping Glide 3.0 Eye 58* black dot
Bag  Ping DLX Black
Putter  Bettinardi Queen Bee #8 2017 model
Head covers for woods Ping Black/White Pompoms
Balls  Titleist ProV1, ProvV1X, AVX and TaylorMade TP5X (depending on the course and weather)
Cart Clicgear 3.5+

I have a set in the bag right now (original stainless version). Distance is certainly less than my Razr X Tours, but the lofts explain that. I'm certainly not used to them yet, but I plan on sticking with them. They are legendary for a reason right. I am not sure about the ZZ Lites though. They may get replaced.

Cobra ZL
Titleist 915f 5w
Cobra Fly Z XL 5h
Ping Rapture v1 6-PW
TM ATV 56 SW
Odyssey Mini-T putter

I carry an Eye 2+ four iron and occasionally an Eye 2 one iron. The one iron makes low runners on windy days and the four iron replaces my forged players four iron. Same 24,5 degree loft, same shaft length. You may say it's a second hybrid. I'm still trying to get used to the offset but when I manage to get it correctly aligned it's unbelievably easy to hit. Within my usual iron set I'd have to grab the six iron to get the same confidence.

And for a (somewhat) traditionalist like me its a joy to se Ping Eye 2 long irons in the bag.

Hey chopper, what are you hitting there?
Callaway Rouge Sub Zero 9°
TM SLDR S 17° 4-wood
Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 21° driving iron

Dynacraft (?) 24° 4-iron
Titleist AP2 710 5-pw
Wilson FG Tour PMP 52, 56, 60­°
Rife 460 Tour Blade

After how long does being "out of form" turn into "a bad golfer"?

The above post by wolfpack says it all. ZZ_Lite and Eye2+ are magic.

I had a guy look at my bag and ask me how old my clubs were. I said about 20 years. He says..."You sure saved some money on golf clubs".

Taylormade 16' M2 9.5º (Tensei 60 Orange R)

Taylormade M1 HL3 17º (Kuro Kage 70 S)

Taylormade 11' Rescue 21º and 23.5º (Aldila RIP TP S)

Srixon 745 5-PW (TT DG Lite S300)

Titleist Vokey SM4 50.08F, 54.14F, 58.09S

Titleist SC PP Del Mar 3.5, Odyssey WH Pro 7, Cleveland HB Soft 11.

Royal M Taper 360's

I experimented with a set of + (no +) irons a couple of months ago, and while I liked them, they are not as easy to hit as my G10 gamers. The Eye2+ irons have roughly the same blade length as the G-series irons, but the heads look smaller to my eyes because of the shape of the hosel. The regular Eye2's are definitely smaller than the Eye2+'s or G-series. The G-series have a lower center of gravity so they get the ball up easier, and the sole design doesn't dig, unlike the Eye2 which has a sharp leading edge and less bounce. To me, the Eye2's are more of a players iron. You need to catch the ball clean, and not hit behind it (fat). If you can do that, the Eye2's are a great choice.

Ping G400 Max driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver
Ping G425 5 wood & hybrid
Ping G30 irons w/Recoil 95

Ping G425 irons w/Accra ICWT 2.0 95
Ping Glide wedges w/Recoil 110
Ping Redwood Anser - the "real deal!"

Eye 2+ perform better than todays clubs. But, non-conforming grooves.

[quote name='Hit em good' timestamp='1328051174' post='4187311']
Do they perform as well as today's clubs?
[/quote]

Yonex ezone 380 10* Rexis M-1 shaft
Cleveland Mashie hybrid 15.5* Miyazaki
Cleveland Mashie hybrid 20.5* Miyazaki
Ping S56 4-9 Nippon 950 steel shaft
Ping Gorge 47*, 52* ,56* Nippon 950
KZG 100% milled center shaft putter

eye2's are every bit as good as todays offerings, i would game them anyday.

9.5* GBB Epic w/ RT Technologies Zeus 75g
16.5* Tour Issue TaylorMade M2 w/ RT Technologies Zeus 85g
20* Itobori Hybrid w/ RT Technologies Midas 98g
Epon AF Tour CB w/ AMT DG X100 4-PW
MannKrafted Custom 51* & 56* w/ AMT DG X100
MannKrafted Yaupon
Vice Force Stand Bag
Vice Pro Plus

Yes, they are every bit as good as modern irons, particularly (IMO) in the long irons. I still throw an Eye 2 2i or even a 1i into my bag from time to time, depending on the course I'm playing. I think the Eye 2 long irons are the easiest-to-hit long irons that have ever been made.

Adaptive Golf.....look out for the one-armed man:

Ping G425 Max Driver, 5W, 7W....+2"

PXG 0211 hybrids, 25*, 28*, 31*….+2”

PXG 0211 8i - SW….+3” or Sub70 699 8i - SW….+4”

Bobby Grace F-22 side saddle

Wolfpack is right on the money. Mine are hanging on the wall in the rec room. Every time I look at them I smile. Moved on to I5s, last year I 15s. I played some of my best golf with those clubs. If I had to I'd take'em down, put'em in the bag and never look back. Thinking about sending them to Ping for the 'overhaul' and then I just might play'em--- again. Others are correct. Amazing how many you see still coming to the range or the course.
Wonder what the chances are Ping might bring them back like the Eye 2XG wedges? Bet they'd sell like hot cakes!

I have two sets stashed at my parents' for when I go to visit, one SS and one BeCu, both with ZZ Lites. I last played them regularly as a junior in the late 80s, early 90s. Visited in January and was able to take the SS set out for a round, and yup, still love them. I think they are just as playable as any current iron set in that category.

Cobra King LTD 9*, Fujikura Ventus TR Red 6X
Cobra King Tec 17*, Fujikura Axiom 105S

Adams A12 19*, Diamana Thump X
TM TP MC/MB, Fujikura Axiom 105S 
Vokey 250.08, SM9 54-S & 60-V, DG S400
Toulon Palm Beach

[quote name='Nessism' timestamp='1328103320' post='4190665']
I experimented with a set of + (no +) irons a couple of months ago, and while I liked them, they are not as easy to hit as my G10 gamers. The Eye2+ irons have roughly the same blade length as the G-series irons, but the heads look smaller to my eyes because of the shape of the hosel. The regular Eye2's are definitely smaller than the Eye2+'s or G-series. The G-series have a lower center of gravity so they get the ball up easier, and the sole design doesn't dig, unlike the Eye2 which has a sharp leading edge and less bounce. To me, the Eye2's are more of a players iron. You need to catch the ball clean, and not hit behind it (fat). If you can do that, the Eye2's are a great choice.
[/quote]

I agree with this. A good ball striker will have no issues with the Eye 2's vs. modern offerings. However, mishits will be punished (and felt) alot more than the likes of the G-series.

I've been on the lookout for a classic set of BeCu ISI's or Eyes 2's to have as a backup / novelty set. My G15's are my current gamers, but the old school Ping offering would definately find their way into bag, especially playing those par 3 courses with the wife.

Ping G400 Max 10.5*
Ping G425 5W 
Ping G425 19* 3H
Srixon ZX5 4-P 
Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 50*, 54*, 58*
Scotty Cameron Super Select Newport 2+

These clubs rule. I might have kept them, but I went to PING I5. Also, they are easy to hit. I was hitting the 3 iron high and soft, and easily too. The only thing I didn't like is the distance I lost because of the higher lofts. I was kinda embarrassed to hit 6 iron into the green from 150, lol. But Eye2 rocks, and ZZ lite is a great shaft.

[quote name='leo the lion' timestamp='1328072135' post='4189809']
Great post, wolfpack............I know several guys who share similar opinions as yours on the Eye2's..............and the ISI's.............as a matter of interest have you tried the ISI's? and what do you think of them compared to the Eye2's?.................Have you ever tried the Cushin shafts? I tried them in some copper ISI's and loved them but just could not afford to buy them at the time. Love to hear your views.
[/quote]

Yes i have tried the ISI, i owned and sold a set of nickels with JZ cushin shaft. Personally i really like the JZ cushin, it gives me a great ball flight since i hit a low heavy ball. In the stronger lofted ISI and EYE 2+ models i think the JZ is a great match, with the weak lofts of the OG EYE 2 i think that a stiffer high kick shaft like the ZZ lite or a DG S300 is a very good match. Lots of folks really dig the ZZ65 cushin or not, and i have hit it only a few times in S59's and they seem to be very capable, but shafts really depend on your ball flight.

As far as the ISI it is a good iron, but personally i like the Original Eye 2 the best out of all of them. I never got comfortable with the ISI shape but that is a person to person preference. If you find a good set at a good price just go for it, and forget about irons for a couple of years. If you dig the ISI i would suggest trying an Eye 2 + since the shape is a little more traditional, and the sole grind is a bit more forgiving than the ISI (which has a very narrow sole)

Remember the EYE 2 is a players CB, it is not the most forvgiving iron out there, the new G series will destroy it in the forgiveness dept... however if you can hit a club NEAR the center more often than not you won't have a problem. They can be worked both ways with ease and knockdowns are no problem in capable hands. They are just the most predictable irons i have ever hit.

Cobra Bio Cell 11*
F6 Baffler 17.5
Hibore Hybrid 22*
850 Forged 5-GW
MP-T10 54, EYE 2 61
Odyssey 7

The above post by wolfpack says it all. ZZ_Lite and Eye2+ are magic.

I had a guy look at my bag and ask me how old my clubs were. I said about 20 years. He says..."You sure saved some money on golf clubs".

Yep, we were backed up on a par three and a twosome joined my friend and i... this tommy bahama callaway fat guy looks at my bag and says "what are those ol' ping eye's?" yeah i say, and he then informs me how i might want to invest in a more modern iron set since technology blah blah blah blah... (trying to tell a WRX member about tech) I just tell him they play fine and i've tried most new clubs.

Long story short i pure a 7 iron 168 yards pin high to a well bunkered green and he sliced about 25 yards right. rolleyes.gif

They let us go ahead at the next hole.

Cobra Bio Cell 11*
F6 Baffler 17.5
Hibore Hybrid 22*
850 Forged 5-GW
MP-T10 54, EYE 2 61
Odyssey 7

I have owned a total of 5 sets of eye2s. 3 sets of plus no plus, a set of non plus becu and a set of non plus stainless. I still have both non plus sets. I may be a minority, but I much prefer the non plus to the plus.

I have also owned a beni and becu set of isi. I find the eye 2 to be a much better iron. The isi has a sweet spot the size of a golf ball dimple. They are longer, but that is because the lofts are stronger than the eye2 plus and much stronger than the original eye2. They also have a LOT of offset.

My becu have a "J" at the end of the serial number, and the z -lite shaft bands are green vs blue. I read somewhere that they were made for Japanese market, but i cannot confirm that S/n matching 3-sw set.

My stainless eye2s are box groove models. Were bought from an estate auction and are essentially new. Still have perfect Karsten diamond eye 2 grips that are as soft as they were back in '88. 3- sw set. I can put fish gills in a proV1 with the 6 iron. The grooves are ridiculous.

I have considered taking a set of eye2s and removing the offset. Make a small notch in the hosel where it meets the front side of the blade and bend them open to remove the offset. Then fill the notch in with TIG weld and have them re-heat treated.

That darn offset is what drove me away from them.

[quote name='dieselG' timestamp='1328146010' post='4194381']
Crap. The wheels are turning. Might have to throw the BeCu back in the bag for a round, see where things go.....
[/quote]

Just got back from a twilight 9.. 36 aint bad... didn't miss a green.

Cobra Bio Cell 11*
F6 Baffler 17.5
Hibore Hybrid 22*
850 Forged 5-GW
MP-T10 54, EYE 2 61
Odyssey 7