TECH TALK: LIVE Q&A with KBS Shafts Tuesday Feb 14, 1-3pm ET!

Comments

• Dean WenselDean Wensel Members Posts: 29
    There are already a lot of questions regarding weight but mine is slightly different, I was wondering if every color will be the same weight? I know with certain grips white weighs more because its a heavier dye, I don't know if the same will run true with the coating process you have used. Also why are these only available in taper?
  • pdaeropdaero Lefty Boomers Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    What is the launch and spin effect of hard stepping the KBS Tour Stiff? I hit the Stiff in an S56, and it was the sweetest combo I've ever hit (and I play Mizunos). Also, what is the performance/feel differences between the KBS Tour and C-Taper?
    Titleist 917D2 9.5* w/ Aldila X-Torsion Copper 60TX
    Titleist 915F 15* w/ Tour AD MJ 8X
    Titleist 915H 18* w/ Diamana S+ 90X
    Titleist 716CB 3-P w/ DG AMT TI X100 SS'd
    Vokey SM6 53.09*, 59.07* w/ DG TI S400
    PING Anser Milled 0 34"
  • jhmeresqujhmeresqu Members Posts: 15
    How durable are the Pearl finishes,and will they be available for both iron and wedge shafts?
  • CTEagleCTEagle Members Posts: 275
    How would your shafts benefit a mid to high handicapper?
  • minhjnminhjn Members Posts: 3,198
    Is there anything new coming in the product pipeline, whether it be a new line of shafts, or a revamp of an existing line (kbs tour maybe)?
  • jeremy83jeremy83 Members Posts: 78
    Is KBS going to offer the KBS tour and the KBS 90 is the same color line as the C Tapers.
  • TheMackDaddyTheMackDaddy SEATTLEJr. Boomers Posts: 4,735 ✭✭
    First off, you guys make great shafts!

My question is how durable is the finish? I want a set of the black ones badly but if they are going to chip and scratch easily then I will probably hold out.

Thanks!
  • MizgoodieMizgoodie golf happy! golf good! Members Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Feb 11, 2012 #39
    come on people the same question is asked over half the time so far.... here is the answers to most of the questions so far , they are answered in the video..

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=nWohE205kaQ[/media]
  • skapunk5251skapunk5251 Members Posts: 14
    Are there any benefits that these shafts provide when compared to other shafts in terms of ball flight or spin?
  • lvmikelvmike Las VegasMembers Posts: 686 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks KBS! Been using your shafts through three sets of irons now...

1) As a 10hcp and average swing speed, would there be a noticeable difference in using KBS Wedge shafts vs KBS Tour in my wedges? (50*, 54*, 58*)

2) Will the finishes be available throughout the product line (Wedge, C-Taper, etc) or limited to one product line?

3) I echo the queries of others about durability.

4) Any thoughts of shafts for woods?
    *on order* 9* Taylormade M5 w/Tensei Pro White
    vs
    *waiting on USPS* 8.5* Ping G400LST w/stock Alta

15* Taylormade M3 w/GD AD BB-7
    Srixon U85 3 iron w/UST Recoil
    Srixon Z545 4-PW w/Nippon NS Pro 950
    Cleveland RTX 4 50*
    Titleist Vokey SM6 54*, 58*
    Bettinardi QB 8 33"

Backups:
    Odyssey O-Works Black #7s 33"
    Scotty Studio Style Newport 2 33" (custom shop)
  • squishyysquishyy Members Posts: 1,370 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    The durability of the KBS Tour shafts seem to be weak. There have been threads here regarding the bend of the shafts at the head section causing a few members here needing to reshaft. My question is, have you addressed this issue yet and just how durable are the KBS Tour shafts compared to other competitors?

I myself play 2 sets of KBS Tour shafts and am very wary about the bending at the head section while playing.
    Taylormade M2 10.5* // Kuro Kage TiNi 60
    Taylormade M2 15* // Graphite Design AD GP 7s
    Cobra F6+ 17.5* // Graphite Design Tour AD DI 85HY
    Srixon z565 4-PW // Nippon Modus Tour 120
    Titleist Vokey SM 52* // Nippon WV 125
    Titleist Vokey SM 58* // Nippon WV 125
    Scotty Cameron 009 Oil Can
  • mdgboxxmdgboxx Put lipstick on a pig - - - it's still a pig Members Posts: 5,236 ✭✭
    Do you expect to issue different colors to match OEM brands, like a Nike red, Cobra orange, TM is already covered with the pearl white, obviously?
    DRIVER: Ping G20, 9.5° w/169D-Tour, reg (Back up: Srixon Z-rw, 9.5°, stf)
    3+W: Srixon Z-Steel, 12.5°, stock SV3005J, stf. (In rotation: 3W, 14.5°)
    5W: Srixon Z-Steel, 18.5° stock SV3005J, stf
    IRONS: Ping i20, 3-PW, stock CFS reg @ D2,
    Red Dot
    PUTTER: Ping Craz-E iWi, w/2x20gr weights, Lamkin Jumbo pistol grip
    WEDGES: Ping Glide, 54° SS, 60° TS, stock Ping wedge shafts

BALL: Srixon XV
    CART: SunMountain V1, STEWARTGOLF Z1
    BAG: SM H2N0, PING C-130
    BACK UP: Ping S58, 3-Pw, stock CS-Lite, stf, @ D2. (Lofts jacked to S55 specs.)
  • bubsbubs Members Posts: 407
    Are the c tapers closer to a dg ball flight or px. Again dg and px have such a diff feel. I've played all three kbs tour, dg ,and px. What shoould or can I expect from the c-taper?
  • DDUNES56DDUNES56 ClubWRX Posts: 107 ✭✭✭
    If the C-taper shafts are suited for ~10% of golfers why are so many wrx member's in love with them? is it looks? because they look great. The custom fit carts from the OEM's that I've seen don't have C-Taper's in them so how would one get fitted in them? and how would you say they differ from Project x PXI, True Temper Monaco or Modus3? Thanks!
  • golfsurfbikegolfsurfbike Members Posts: 184 ✭✭✭
    I recently read something from Kim Braly where he said that the C-Taper shafts were designed to be soft-stepped. Could you expound on that? Thanks!
  • PingDrv00PingDrv00 Members Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    I am not sure if I am the only one with this issue, but I really have had some trouble with the KBS Tour 90's. I am not sure if it is the counter balance weighting or the total shaft weigh being less, but I really have trouble with solid contact. I can pick up the same head with Dynamic Gold or Project X, and dot the sweetspot. When I hit them solid, I do love the feel, but my thought is this shaft my not be the one for me. I really want to retain the smooth KBS feel, but get a better suited option. I guess mny first question would be, have any others experienced this performance, and what shaft might you recommend to alleviate it.
    Driver. RBZ Tour TP 9 Kaili 70x
    Three Wood: RBZ Tour TP 14.5 RIP Beta 70
    Hybrid: Adams Super LS 19 Kuro Kage
    Irons: TaylorMade 2014 CB 4,5, MC 6-PW
    Putter: Odyssey Protype Black #9
    Wedges: Vokey 53/10 and 59/7
  • wilavicwilavic Members Posts: 478 ✭✭✭✭
    Would KBS consider putting the serial number labels further down on the raw shafts because when fitted the labels are cut off when the shafts are trimmed.It makes it harder to tell the flex of the pulled shaft,whether they have been hard or soft stepped etc.The kbs tours I own have the etched serials on them but the c-tapers that I bought have nothing so consequently I am going strictly by the weight of the shafts.Please consider this.P.S I am a huge fan of KBS shafts.Thanks Gerry
  • putt4_66putt4_66 ^Sexiest Golf Attire I've Ever Seen^ Members Posts: 1,077
    What does KBS/FST see as the technical difference between the KBS Tours and the KBS C-Tapers? What type of golfers might benefit most from which shaft? Or do you say it's just a matter of feel?

My questions comes from what appears to be the physics of a stepped shaft versus a taper shaft. Steps seem to release the stored energy during the club's release in a more consistent manner - steps mean more energy release points. That is, a golfer that doesn't always swing at the same speed or tempo, even though they want to, may see tighter dispersion. A taper shaft appears to have more variation on distance from one swing to another by most decent golfers. Are tapers harder to control distance than stepped shafts for most low to mid handicap golfers that know their yardages?

Thanks for you support.
  • danfidodanfido Members Posts: 189 ✭✭
    Maybe a silly question, but was the purpose of the colored shafts just for customization? Is there any other conceivable benefit other than "This looks really sweet with my custom paintfill job."?
  • KnockdownKnockdown Members Posts: 244 ✭✭✭
    What shafts do you recommend for ctaper players in their wedges?
    TaylorMade 2016 M1 460 9.5 Matrix Ozik RUL 70X
    TaylorMade P790 UDI 2 iron Mitsubishi TENSEI CK Pro White Hybrid 100 TX
    Ping G400 3-Hybrid Graphite Design Tour AD DI Hybrid 105 X
    Ping i 4-PW Nippon Modus 3 125X
    Ping Glide 50SS & 56SS Nippon C10S
    Titleist Vokey Low Bounce K 60 Nippon Modus 3 125 X
    TaylorMade Spider Tour Black
  • even_steveneven_steven Members Posts: 248 ✭✭
    Regarding the C-tapers: Saw a video of Kim Braly basically saying they fit a very small percentage of the golfing population. I probably shouldn't be playing them based on what he said but when I tried them out they felt so incredibly good and I got fitted --> turns out they fit me like a charm despite me not being having a beast swing speed or tempo. It was the feel that caught me, never really felt anything like it before. Can you elaborate on the feel of the KBS shafts and the C-tapers in particular - they really feel different from Proj X and DG IMO. Thanks
  • Mr.RobMr.Rob True Temper & GolfWRX Test Team Member Members Posts: 290
    I love the feel of the tour 90 shaft and have been fit for it in a stiff flex but I see consistent high left shots with them. I get better consistency with the regular tour shafts but lose the incredible feel of the 90's. (not that the tours feel bad, just not as sweet)

Is there a way to set up the 90's to eliminate the lefts but retain the feel? 82mph 6i ss smooth tempo, early release, straight to fade ball hitter here so leftward shots are rare for me.
    Driver: PING G30 LST 9* - Tour 65 Reg Shaft
    3W: R11 Ti 13* - Fubuki 73x5ct Stiff Shaft
    Driving Iron: Cobra King One Black Utility 2/3i - UST Recoil 780 Stiff Shaft
    5-GW: Cobra King One Forged - UST Recoil 110 Stiff Shafts
    Wedges: Mizuno T5s 52.09, 56.10, 60.06 - DG Wedge Flex Shafts
    Putter: Scotty Cameron Monterrey
  • tElihutElihu Members Posts: 1,131
    Since your shafts tend to be geared toward the better player, how important is a strong Tour presence for your product?

Thanks
  • jtudhsnaejtudhsnae Members Posts: 359 ✭✭✭✭
    Are you going to make a lighter shaft than the KBS Tour 90?

Are the color going to be available on all shafts?

Thanks
  • Darth_BladerDarth_Blader Members Posts: 992 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do I need to take any precautions before tip prepping one of the new custom finishes? ie...prevent any chipping or flaking...thanks.
    Cobra F9 9* Aldila 125msi
    TM M3 3HL
    Vsteel 5w 7W06
    Vsteel 7w Rogue 80
    Ping S55 4-PW DG TI X100
    Adams CMB GW CTaper
    Vokey SM6 56* DG S400
    Scratch 8620 TI 60 DG S400
    Odyssey LE PT10 KBS CT Shaft

• StackinChipsStackinChips Members Posts: 278 ✭✭✭✭
    Just want to say the feel in my KBS Tours is second to none. Any plans to create/release graphite wood shafts?
  • jerryojerryo Members Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    I Just got a new set of irons with KBS Tour R flex shafts. Love the shafts. I want to reshaft my wedges with KBS as well. What would be some factors in deciding if I should go with KBS Tours like my irons or with the wedge specific option in the proper flex?
  • gomery012gomery012 Members Posts: 108
    do these coats block the glare of the sun? Will the coat wear off over time?
  • adam10adam10 Members Posts: 849 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks to KBS and the site. getting this close to the OEMs is unreal.

Question: Does KBS have any intention of getting into driver/fairway/hybrid shafts and maybe even putter shafts? seems like a market you guys haven't entered yet.

thanks! -adam

would love to try the new white shafts in my wedges!!!!
  • JGLJGL Members Posts: 112 ✭✭
    I enjoy the C-Tapers on my PING G20s - really perform well and look great.

Any way to incorporate the C-Taper into putter shafts ? And any plans on additional finishes/colors on the C-Taper ?

Keep the exciting products coming !

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file