Theoretical maximum distance for 100 mph club head speed?

2»

Comments

• wmblake2000wmblake2000 Members Posts: 5,571 ✭✭
    edited Feb 13, 2012 #32
    TomWishon wrote:

Somewhere on this forum I saw a link to something by Tom Wishom that I copied. He describes optimal carry (no rollout) at 90 mph ss at 221 and for 105 mph ss at 274.

Just to be "freshly sure" of the accuracy of the information, based on Sea Level and for a golfer with a level angle of attack into the ball, maximum CARRY for a 90mph golfer would be in the area of 215 to 218 yds - but for the 105mph golfer, max carry would be ni the area of 245 - 250 and not up there at 274.

Not sure if the information you saw previously that you said was from me was miss typed or what, but when I saw your post, I did want to be sure things were as accurate as can be.

For others reading this thread, do be aware that CARRY distance is totally different from TOTAL Distance and can be a big difference depending on the conditions of the fairway. For a 90mph golfer, max carry might be 215 but total distance can be anything from 215 to 260 depending on the firmness and grass length of the fairways.

TOM

This was from something I ran across here http://www.iseekgolf.com/clubfittingandrepairs/7313-angle-of-attack-its-role-in-fitting

The difference was I was quoting what I assume to be doable optimal, with +5 AoA....

Clubhead Ball Launch SPin Carry Dynamic Prob

Speed Aoa Speed Distance Loft Driver loft

90 +5° Upward 132 16.0 2210 221 17.7 11.5

105 +5° Upward 156 13.8 2070 274 15.2 10

(for the sake of readability, I edited this...

Key things:

Clubhead speed 90, AoA +5* upward, Ball speed 132, Launch 16.0, Spin 2210, carry 221

Clubhead speed 105, AoA +5* upward, ball speed 156, Launch 13.8, spin 2070, Carry 274

The article and table for this data are attributed to Tom. I don't know when it was written, and I am sure both the data in his post above and in this table are valid (assuming it is, indeed, his article, but this is the internet, and ANYTHING is possible!) but the conclusions are driven by different assumptions...
    Post edited by Unknown User on
    Ping GMax 400 10.5
    Callawy Epic 5W
    Callaway Epic Hybrid 2h
    TM P790 4-AW
    Fourteen mt28v3 54, 58
    Cameron Futura 5W

If you see any more new irons in my bag before 2020, call the paramedics because my wife will have seriously injured me
  • bellview17bellview17 Just chilling in the time out box Members Posts: 915
    edited Feb 13, 2012 #33
    ss 106 average gps on course at sea level is 271 total last year. 50 plus rounds

all measured drives every time I pulled out the hammer.

I do not know my other numbers.

Only a few close to 300, long was a low on the face 317 blast, 90 yards of roll. rolleyes.gif
  • MANthraxMANthrax Members Posts: 35 ✭✭
    edited May 7, 2016 #34

115 or so you might see 300.. I swing it up towards 110 and can count the number of times I've seen 300 on one hand.
    I'm just curious it's May 2016, how is your distance today? Couple generations of ball and club changes.Reply
  • jcosjrgolfjcosjrgolf Members Posts: 552 ✭✭
    From a theoretical standpoint, perfect conditions, 100 mph swing speed, 1.5 smash factor:

- 150 mph ball speed.

- 250 yards carry distance.

• gsrjcgsrjc TOC Members Posts: 1,250 ✭✭
    My SS is 103 with a smash factored 1.49 I got 244 yards carry on trackman.
  • p8ball777p8ball777 Members Posts: 1
    edited Feb 22, 2017 #37
    SteveL1 wrote:

I have been testing drivers and shafts for the past three months and find that I seem to max out at around 275 total distance with a 100 mph swing speed. Is this all that one should expect to get at this speed? I've read where you want the launch angle around 12* and spin in the mid 2,000's which I've gotten close to.

So what is the theoretical maximum yardage one can expect from 100 mph swing speed and how do you go about figuring that? Guy at Golfsmith today said that with a little more tweaking I should see 300 yrds. Seriusly? I don't think so.

I was getting close to 3.0 x my swing speed at Golf mart. 109-115 swing speed. I can't remember carry but a alot were 330+ with roll, longest 350. launch angle was 16 to 17 degrees with 1700 to 2100 spin range. Driver gbb epic 9 degree with rogue silver i/o shaft. So I think it's possible. He told me I literally have no room for more distance unless I swing faster. I hit up on the ball a lot though.. Trackman had me at 7 degrees up.
  • Howard JonesHoward Jones Members Posts: 8,465 ✭✭
    As a good rule of thumb, Clubspeed x 2.5 = Carry in yards or total as meters.

It is possible to get a few yards extra, but they are very hard to get out, so from 100 mph club speed (measured on a Trackman) a carry of 250 is possible, even 255-256 as the absolute max.

Angle of attack is not as important as we have been told, a good impact spot on the face is whats most important for maximized ball speed and a good launch angle and a low spin value. AoA might change carry, but not much, and total remains more or less the same and is more depended on roll out conditions than AoA

That means we must start to dial in a good impact spot, for most players that means going shorter on play length. Then the rest will fall into place by itself, where we use static loft, NOT another shaft profile, to get launch where we want it, to get the combo of carry and roll out that fits our playing conditions.
  • BrianL99BrianL99 Banned Posts: 5,116 ClubWRX
    p8ball777 wrote:

SteveL1 wrote:

I have been testing drivers and shafts for the past three months and find that I seem to max out at around 275 total distance with a 100 mph swing speed. Is this all that one should expect to get at this speed? I've read where you want the launch angle around 12* and spin in the mid 2,000's which I've gotten close to.

So what is the theoretical maximum yardage one can expect from 100 mph swing speed and how do you go about figuring that? Guy at Golfsmith today said that with a little more tweaking I should see 300 yrds. Seriusly? I don't think so.

I was getting close to 3.0 x my swing speed at Golf mart. 109-115 swing speed. I can't remember carry but a alot were 330+ with roll, longest 350. launch angle was 16 to 17 degrees with 1700 to 2100 spin range. Driver gbb epic 9 degree with rogue silver i/o shaft. So I think it's possible. He told me I literally have no room for more distance unless I swing faster. I hit up on the ball a lot though.. Trackman had me at 7 degrees up.

Must be using "New Math".
  • Howard JonesHoward Jones Members Posts: 8,465 ✭✭
    BrianL99 wrote:

p8ball777 wrote:

SteveL1 wrote:

Must be using "New Math".

115 mph club speed, and a absolute maxed out PTR of 1.52 gives 174 ball speed

That ball speed and a launch angle of 17, and spin 1700 gives about 302 yards carry and 327 total on a fast fairway, but to get 350, the setting must have been changed from fast fairway to concrete highway, and Trackman dont have that or other options to manipulate total this way, and it does not matter what angle of attack is.

302 carry/115 club speed = 2.62 and i never saw a factor that high. (2.56 is the highest ive seen)

http://flightscope.com/products/trajectory-optimizer/
  • Stuart_GStuart_G New HampshireMembers Posts: 22,862 ✭✭
    Just crank the altitude up to 10k ft then you can get all the way up to 3.05 :-)
2»