Ping G5

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This may be premature as I haven't played it outside but I just bought one after a few visits hitting everything I could into a launch monitor. I never felt that the G2 was special. Very good but not stand apart. I've got and hit TPs new and old (I like the r540TP and R5) and tried all the retail stuff Cleveland, Cally etc. The G5 rocks for me. With the same shaft as the others I would get better results but my best results was with the stock Ping stiff shaft 9*. (I hit the 10.5 with 15* launch) That didn't happen until I smoothed it a bit but if I can get more out of that than jumping on something else then what's not to like. Face feels solid but softer than a G2 and it launches higher for me with less spin. Just a waggle and you'll know that the weighting is quite different. Needless to say, I bought one. ps, I still don't like the fairways.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, I love this driver. My honeymoon should be over with this club by now, I've had it for over a month, but now I'm wondering if it will ever end. I have a 10.5 with an Accra T60 M3 (reg) shaft. My swing speed with the driver is around 105-110. I don't put a big load on the shaft so I get the best results with a flexible shaft. I've had a 905T, 983k, and most Taylormade's in the last couple years and this club is the most consistent I've found. I've hit slightly longer drives with other clubs, but for a combination of consistent distance and direction this club is the best hands down. I think my 1.7 index will be creeping down soon.

The clubhead has a very nice feel, which is not something I can say about a lot of other 460 cc heads. The half moon isn't my cup of tea but it's easier to ignore on the G5 than the G2 as they toned it down considerably. It is very forgiving, but I can still tell when I miss and I like to know that.

The Accra shaft is tremendous in this club. It has just the right "kick" for me. I found that I was leaving a lot of shots to the right with all my other drivers, but that's not a problem anymore. And when I really want to go after one it stays very stable. I've always had a lower ballflight which lead to problems with not enough carry, but this club launches just right for plenty of carry and roll, thanks to the low spin rate.

It paid off for me to try out a few shaft options before buying. There are enough available that most everyone should be able to find their optimum combination. The launch monitor was great, but I found that getting on the range and the course with the club was my best indicator. I went from the 7.5 degree and worked my way up and got the best results with the 10.5. Another thing is getting fitted with a good pro. I've had a few guys who see my swing and say "stiff shafts and low loft" and that would not be right for me. Swing speed is way too general of an indication to properly get fitted.

Put this one on your list of "try-ers" if you're in the market.

I may still be in the honeymoon phase, but this is one of the best (if not the best) drivers I have ever hit. It is silly long but does not sacrifice any accuracy. Had a G2 driver for a short time, killed it but couldn't control is at all. So when the G5 was released, I was intrigued. Turns out, I found the right driver for me.

WITB:
Driver: Taylormade Sim Max 10.5*
3 Wood: Titleist 915f 15*
Hybrid: Titleist 816 H2 19*
Irons: Titleist 716 CB 4-7; 716 MB 8-P
Wedges: Vokey sm6 52, 56, 60
Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2 Studio Style

• 2 weeks later...

I tried the 9 degree with the standard NV65 Stiff. Found the length of shaff hard to cope with, Ping have set 45.75" as the standard, why?

I normally poddle it along at about 260 but on my last drive with it, I hit a "wonder ball" around 375 nearly onto the green. No idea why but it just flew on and on.

I'm toying with getting the same spec with a 10.5 loft. But I don't like the funny 703 grip and need an explination as to why they have made the standard shaft so darn long. Does anyone have an idea why, my theory is they are worried about distance?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I tried the 9 degree with the standard NV65 Stiff. Found the length of shaff hard to cope with, Ping have set 45.75" as the standard, why?

I normally poddle it along at about 260 but on my last drive with it, I hit a "wonder ball" around 375 nearly onto the green. No idea why but it just flew on and on.

I'm toying with getting the same spec with a 10.5 loft. But I don't like the funny 703 grip and need an explination as to why they have made the standard shaft so darn long. Does anyone have an idea why, my theory is they are worried about distance?

that's really awkward...260 to a random 375? that's like me saying "oops i accidentally got my pitching wedge out on this 225 yard par 3...but oh well i got it there anyway"..haha. congrats on the long ball though

• 2 weeks later...

I'm definitely in the market and have narrowed the choices down to to the following, but not necessarily in order:

1. Titliest 905T (have always liked the looks and sound of Titliest but never could get the distanec).

2. TM R7 425

3. FT-3 (based on the generally good reviews I have seen)

4. Bridgestone J33R (also based on the good reviews).

5. And of course, the G5.

My SS is only around 96 so assuming I go for the G5, what would be a good shaft and loft? My bal flight is medium.

Ps, I play off 9-10.

Many thks

I really am enjoying this club. It seems long, but the temps here have been low so I can't get a true feel for the length. The head is so forgiving.

Ping G430 Max 9* Ventus Black 60x

Sim2 15* GD Tour Ad Hd 

Callaway X Hot pro 20* Hybrind Tour AD HD 95x

Srixon ZX-7 4-p Modus 120x

Vokey SM9 50, 54, 58

Lab Mezz Max C/B 

• 2 weeks later...

First off you should know that I like most everything Ping makes and have a bag full of S59 and Tour wedges to prove it.

Had a G2 @ 8.5 with the prolite S in it.

Now have had in play several times a G5 10.5 with the ping TFC100S in it.

Wanted to like the NV shafts but the ping shaft fit me to a Tee, so to speak. Speaking of fit, never got the love for the prolite in the 8.5.

Anyway, I am hitting fairways at an absurd rate and I am as long as I was with the g2 but I am doing it in winter.

Love It.

Ping G400 LST mitsubishi Kurokage titleist 915 Three Mitsubishi Diamana Bridgestone J15 Mitsubishi Fubuki Adams 9031 Super Mitsubishi Diamana Mizuno M5 KBS 120 Mizuno S5 50º Mizuno T7 54º Calaway MD4 60º putters - rotating staff of near do wells and misfits

Got the G5 9* w/ a NV65 X flex. Really liking the clubhead so far, adding about 10-15 yds. to my drive over my ancient steelhead I had been using. Also incredibly forgiving, almost silly straight. The halfmoon isn't nearly as bad as on the G2 to my eye. I'd demo'd the G2 when it came out and had terrible results, the G5 was a definite improvement IMO.

I'm not sold on the shaft/head combo though, as I think the NV just doesn't suit my swing type. Very little feel (too light for me) from the shaft and seems I have to really try to feel the shaft loading. At 118ss avg. that shouldn't be a problem, but like I said it's prolly just a matter that it doesn't fit my swing. Will definitely try a reshaft or two before getting a new driver.

What shafts have you guys been having success with. Athletic transition, midway release, above avg. SS (115-118)

I tried everything from Titleist 905T, FT-3 Tour Neutral, 454, r5, & r7; oddly enough out of these drivers, next to the G5, I hit the 905t & the FT-3 Tour the best. The G5 with an NV65 stiff is my club and I hit it with a medium launch angle. In the passed I lost a lot of distance with the 540xd due to the high ball flight I got when I hit it. The G5 is everything I could ask for in a driver. My average drive before the G5 was aroung 260, now I'm getting an average of 285, and I even broke the 300 yard mark with a 305 yard drive. I highly recommend this driver. PING RULES!!!

I have access to all the newest drivers and can take them onto the course to demo them, which is important. I was using a Nike and had hit just about averything else, then I hit the G-5. I love Ping as you can tell from my name but I have never been a huge fan of their woods. I am a changed man now. I ordered mine the minute I got back to the golf shop. G5 9 degree Aldila NV 65 X stiff. Love it!

• 5 weeks later...

I have to say that I was disappointed by this driver.

was a demo day of Ping G2's at my club and I really liked the club. I wasn't a huge fan of the feel on impact, but the driver was long, and easy to control. Then a few weeks later when the G5's first came out I was offered a great deal on a G5 + custom fitting w/ Ping (400$ taxes in) and figured I couldn't lose since the G2 was pretty decent.

After the fitting I was a little disapointed with the club but thought that maybe I was just having a bad day. The club showed up in the proshop 2 days later (;) nice job by ping :D). I hit a bucket @ the range, then took it out on the course. I found it was long, but there was no feel to it, and I wasn't the hugest fan of the ball flight.

I played it for a few months, but just never really fell in love with it. It's only saving grace was that it was longer than my 983k. Of course now I have the 905T which I find has excellent feel, is much more responsive, and is comparable in length with a more preferable ball flight, it also keeps my spin in the 2700's/ (I was around 3100-3300 w/ the G5).

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I really like what Ping has done on the G5 as far as ball flight goes. I previously had the G2 and was impressed with the club but it flew way too high. I actually hit mt G2 8.5* higher than my 9* G5 with the same Pro Launch shaft. ALso, I don't notice a huge difference in distance with the two models but I am in the middle of the fairway much more with the G5. We'll see this week how this driver compares to the Callaway X Tour that I'm getting with the Fujikura Speeder 652. Can't wait for the test drive.!

Titleist TSR3 9* Tensei Blue 55R

Taylor Made Sim 3W 15* Ventus 5R

Callaway Paradym TD 18* Hazardous Gen 4 5.5

Takomo 101 4-PW KBS Tour Lite R

Takomo Skyforger 48* KBS

Vokey SM9 Black 54-10S 

Vokey SM9 Chrome 58-10S
Scotty Cameron Flowback 5.5 35"

• 4 weeks later...

Love the G5. I have the 10.5 with Aldila NV Stiff. WOW perfect match for my swing. It hits the ball high but not so high that it balloons. I was a sick low ball hitter before and now I have the perfect trajectory. Could not be happier!!!!! Tried them all FT3, ft3 tour, 905r, 905t, 983k, sq, sq tour, x460tour, hibore, launcher comp 460, r7 425, 425tp, r7ht, r7tp, r7, r460, and the g5 was BY FAR THE BEST. could not stand the cleveland drivers ahh such garbage. i would reccomend the 10.5 with aldila for anyone out there even the high ball hitters because the NV does bring down the ball flight a fair amount.

Went to Golf Smith today and tried out the Cleveland HiBore, Nike SQ, and the Ping G5. Let me say wow the G5 rocks!! I was crushing it on the launch monitor! Incredile club...miss hits were not major enough to cause the banana slices or duck hooks. I also like the HiBore...the only thing that keep me from buying it was the price. However, the launch on it was incredible on the HiBore. I first tried the 10* and it towered as high as a 14* driver. Then I switched to a 9.5* and the stroked it down the stimulator fairway. Both are great clubs but the Ping's price and forgiveness edged out and won.

• 2 months later...

I went from a G2 in 9.5 with the Grafalloy Blue to a G5 with the TFC 100 with a 10.5 degree face after an outdoor fitting at PING in Phoenix.

I wasn't crazy about the higher flight, but I am flying the ball to the point the G2 was carrying it before. So it is longer gets more bounce/roll, and in my experience so far, 10-15 rounds, is straighter. The ball seems to knuckleball off the face with very little spin, and because of this finds the short grass often. It has that let's-you-get-away-with-murder forgiveability that PING is famous for. It takes a butt-ugly swing to hit the ball really poorly.

Today's enormous heads are taking me a long time to get used to. If I get head-conscious in the swing, I try and steer that big head, with sorry results. I do better to ignore it altogether, and swing away. The ball silhouette on the head neither adds nor detracts, but adds nothing to the appearance.

I really notice differences between balls with this club. After much trial and error, I am using the Pro V1. A friend has had the same experience and noticed pronounced differences between different balls hit off the face of his G5. I'd suggest if you get one and do not like it, to test a variety of balls before you come to your final conclusion.

G5's been in the bag all year with no sign of getting benched. Driver ho'ing days are over...until I try the Rapture :drinks:

[font=lucida sans unicode,lucida grande,sans-serif]Driver: Yonex Ezone 380 9*
Fairway: Tour Edge cb5 15*
Hybrid: Tour Edge cb5 19*
Irons: Hogan Ft Worth (15) 21*, 25*, 29*, 33*, 37*, 41*, 45*
Wedges: Hogan TK 49*, 53*, 57*
Putter: 2007 Odyssey Black #1
Bag: PING Hoofer[/font]

About a month ago, I bought a G5 with 10.5 degrees of loft and a Grafalloy Pro Launch Blue regular flex shaft. Wow. I am only about 5 foot 5, but I can cream the ball with this club. I went from about 210-220 in the fairway to about 250-260 easily. I even had a couple drives the other day roll out to about 300 yards. I never thought I could hit it that far being this short. My wedges are now approach clubs again. Excellent club, all I can do is hit a high booming draw that rolls a mile when it lands, and as a bonus it is even in the fairway. If you are looking for a new driver, at least try the G5.

Ping G430 Max KaiLi White 60 Stiff (9 degree)
Cobra King RAD 3 Wood Fujikura Motore X F3 Stiff (14.5 degree setting)
Mizuno CLK Hybrid (19 and 22 degree, I swap them out depending on the wind in the parking lot)

Mizuno JPX-921 Hot Metal Pro 4-5 Irons - KBS Tour Regular Flex Steel Shafts

Mizuno JPX-921 Forged 6 Iron - G Wedge - KBS Tour Regular Flex Steel Shafts 
Titleist SM9 54 and 58 
Scotty Cameron Phantom X6 CS (34")

• 1 month later...

I hit the G5 yesterday at a demo day in NH. (a 9 degree with the Proforce V2 yellow and black stiff shaft), my ss is about 100-102mph. I absolutely loved this club. I was nailing this thing about 10 yds longer than my TM 510. I think i would need a 9.5 or a 10 degree, because I was hitting it a tiny bit lower than i like , but the flight was something i've never experienced before. It was like a rocketship off the face and penetrating. The shaft feels amazing in this club. I'm going to have to demo a 10 to make sure I don't hit it too high, but i'm almost sold on the G5. A also love how it set up so square to my target line.

I have the 7.5* with an extra stiff shaft and I love it. It's long and forgiving although with it's length, when I lose one I really lose one. The best part about this club is that you seem to get rewarded with huge drives if you slow your swing down a bit. You can hit it all over the face and still get tons of distance but if you slow it down and hit the sweet spot, it goes for miles.

Swing hard and get the sweet spot? Well then you end up with drives that you tell your friends about and they tell you you're full of sh!t. :idhitit:

Cobra Bio Cell Pro
Cobra Bio Cell+ 3 wood
Mizuno MP-5 irons
Mizuno MP-R 54*, 60*
Odyssey White Ice 1

Got the G5 9* w/ a NV65 X flex. Really liking the clubhead so far, adding about 10-15 yds. to my drive over my ancient steelhead I had been using. Also incredibly forgiving, almost silly straight. The halfmoon isn't nearly as bad as on the G2 to my eye. I'd demo'd the G2 when it came out and had terrible results, the G5 was a definite improvement IMO.

I'm not sold on the shaft/head combo though, as I think the NV just doesn't suit my swing type. Very little feel (too light for me) from the shaft and seems I have to really try to feel the shaft loading. At 118ss avg. that shouldn't be a problem, but like I said it's prolly just a matter that it doesn't fit my swing. Will definitely try a reshaft or two before getting a new driver.

What shafts have you guys been having success with. Athletic transition, midway release, above avg. SS (115-118)

I have a similar set of stats to you. My avg SS is 116-121mph. I personally still use a G2 because I found the difference between G2 and G5 to be negligible. I have installed a Grafalloy Comp NT X flex shaft at 287cpm. To get it to that spec I had to tip it by 0.5".

I have exactly the same feeling about the NV shaft. I find it completely lacks feel and also the kick point is a little low for me.

The Comp NT is an awesome shaft. I went for the 65g. It is easy to load and I tend to have a very late release and the shaft performs incredibly well. Also easy to shape the ball with this shaft.

• 4 weeks later...

I kind of want to kick myself for not getting a G5 sooner!

About my game: I am 26, 6'1" 200 single digit h'cap. I have played 5 time in the last year because of a move to a new town and new job. I grew up playing Mp14's that were way to flat for me so I had a very flat "picker/sweeper" swing that I have recently corrected. So I have always been a low ball hitter, the Ping G5, and some swing changes have changed that!

Looks: The moon is much smaller on the G5 and the head shape hides the size very well. I wouldn't call the look traditional like the J33, but it isn't bad. For me the square face angle and medium face depth are perfect and very confidence inspiring.

Feel: SOLID! No 460 driver feels as good as a say a 975D, but the G5 wasn't "pingy" or too metallic. I could have handled a less solid feel since the club performed so well otherwise, but I got more than I bargained for in the feel department with the G5.

Distance: I have a long deep towering ball flight with the G5. The distance was very good, but I didn't get a ton of roll or the same "hot" ball flight I get from say my T60 three wood. The roll wasn't great, but it was pretty wet yesterday in New England.

Ball Flight: My shots didn't balloon, but almost. I think the ProLaunch shaft and my new swing made the ball go a little higher than I would like, but as a former low ball hitter I can deal with that.

In summary, I am very happy with the G5. I could probably us a slightly lower launching shaft to go with this head. But after playing the J33 and worrying about worm burners, I can stomach a high deep ball flight. Feel, looks and performance were all excellent. I may play around with the shaft, but the G5 is a keeper.

Tsi3 10* Tensel 1k White 70x
Tsi2 16.5* Tour AD TP 8X;

Apex UW 19* Aldila Green 8x

818h2 21* Atmos Blue 8x

Nike Vapor Fly Pro 4 iron

2019 T100 Tour issue 5-9 s400

SM9 46F, SM6 54s and 60s s400

Kenny Gianinni G2 Chubby

• 2 months later...

I have a G5 9* with a NV 75 stiff (originally) and it was not my cup of tee. I had to really slow it down to ~70% to keep from balloning it. I've installed a NV75 X and it's a whole new driver, not perfect, but better. At least I feel like I can swing the same as my other clubs.

I'm thinking about a change to a 757 Speeder. Anyone else have a 757 Speeder in a G5? If so, what are your thoughts?

I have a G5 9* with a NV 75 stiff (originally) and it was not my cup of tee. I had to really slow it down to ~70% to keep from balloning it. I've installed a NV75 X and it's a whole new driver, not perfect, but better. At least I feel like I can swing the same as my other clubs.

I'm thinking about a change to a 757 Speeder. Anyone else have a 757 Speeder in a G5? If so, what are your thoughts?

To be honest, I think it might be the head. Ping has a tendency of writing lower lofts on their driver heads than they actually have. Your 9° could easily be a 10.5 in reality. I don't think a shaft change will make much difference here.

Also, the G2 and G5 drivers are both fairly high spin heads in my opinion. I have been using a 1° shimmed open G2 with 10 degrees and a fuji 757 stiff for two seasons. It feels great but I get zero roll. The high ball flight is great, but the spin makes it land like a pitching wedge around 250-260 yards out (one ball recently even backed up on the fairway).

I have just put together a 10.5 degree Bridgestone J33r 460 with another speeder 757 stiff (although tipped a bit to make up for the long hosel). I haven't had chance to test it yet due to freezing conditions outside, but have been told that the j33r is a super low spin and low launch head. Many people have said it plays a lot like the Taylormade r510TP, which is one of my all time favorites. Let's wait and see.

919THI 11.5° / 1° open
929hs 20° / dead square
775hs 21° & 24° & 27°
Mizuno JPX 800 Pro 6-pw
MP-T11 50° & 55° / MPT4 61°
Ping Sydney 33"