Betting against Rory McIlroy on Sunday

zakkozuchowskizakkozuchowski GolfWRX EditorMembers Posts: 1,162 ✭✭
edited Mar 5, 2012 in Tour Talk #1
By GameDayDog, GolfWRX Contributor

By GameDayDog

GolfWRX Contributor

Since I'm a gambling man, I'm willing to go out on a limb once again and state that Rory McIlroy may not become the No. 1 male golfer in the world by winning the Honda Classic tournament after holding the 54-hole lead by two strokes.

It is said that golfers, like NFL cornerbacks, must have the ability to immediately forget a bad moment and look forward to the next play or shot. As an amateur sports reporter and avid golf fan, I tend to remember those bad moments and why they happened. I can't forget McIlroy's stunning confession or admission after the 2011 Open at Royal St. George's. At that tournament, golf's current king-in-waiting claimed he was not a fan of golf tournaments in which the weather was a factor.

McIlroy said, "My game is suited for basically every golf course and most conditions, but these conditions, I just don't enjoy playing in, really. That's the bottom line. I'd rather play when it's 80 degrees and sunny and not much wind."

I'm not predicting an epic collapse similar to his tumble down the leaderboard during the back nine at last year's Masters tournament. The weather report for the final round has the golfers expecting 25 to 30 mph winds and a 50 percent chance of rain, so it will be interesting to see if McIlroy will be able to ignore the uncomfortable, windy conditions and win the Honda Classic. If he does, then golf's consensus — best male player in the world without the No. 1 ranking — can finally receive his crown.

Click here to read more from GameDayDog on his blog, [url="http://www.gamedaydog.com/str8talkr/category/golf/"]Straight Talkin' – No Chaser[/url].

Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• SinclairSinclair Members Posts: 288
    I have an inkling that he won't be able to see out the win, however I really hope I am wrong! I'd like to see Rory succeed and become number 1. Also, his high ball flight doesn't exactly work well in 25-30 mph conditions... but again, I hope I am wrong and he brings his wind game today.

PS Strong start from Tiger.
  • glofmanglofman Members Posts: 51 ✭✭

Don't give up the day job horse

By GameDayDog

GolfWRX Contributor

Since I'm a gambling man, I'm willing to go out on a limb once again and state that Rory McIlroy may not become the No. 1 male golfer in the world by winning the Honda Classic tournament after holding the 54-hole lead by two strokes.

It is said that golfers, like NFL cornerbacks, must have the ability to immediately forget a bad moment and look forward to the next play or shot. As an amateur sports reporter and avid golf fan, I tend to remember those bad moments and why they happened. I can't forget McIlroy's stunning confession or admission after the 2011 Open at Royal St. George's. At that tournament, golf's current king-in-waiting claimed he was not a fan of golf tournaments in which the weather was a factor.

McIlroy said, "My game is suited for basically every golf course and most conditions, but these conditions, I just don't enjoy playing in, really. That's the bottom line. I'd rather play when it's 80 degrees and sunny and not much wind."

I'm not predicting an epic collapse similar to his tumble down the leaderboard during the back nine at last year’s Masters tournament. The weather report for the final round has the golfers expecting 25 to 30 mph winds and a 50 percent chance of rain, so it will be interesting to see if McIlroy will be able to ignore the uncomfortable, windy conditions and win the Honda Classic. If he does, then golf's consensus — best male player in the world without the No. 1 ranking — can finally receive his crown.

Click here to read more from GameDayDog on his blog, [url="http://www.gamedaydog.com/str8talkr/category/golf/"]Straight Talkin’ – No Chaser[/url].

• NerraNerra Members Posts: 126
    If you asked most british people, they would say they preferred doing their chosen line of work in the hot sunshine, Rory included. Doesn't mean they can't get the job done when its needed.

I'd love to be your bookmaker.
  • deasy55deasy55 Members Posts: 4,895 ✭✭
    Hope you didn't bet the mortgage on it
  • spookyspooky Members Posts: 2,553 ✭✭
    Looking forward to his next post... cheesy.gif
    Taylormade M1 440 - Tensei CK Pro Orange TX
    Adams VST Hybrid (19) - GD AD-DI X
    Tour Edge Exotics CB4 (4 wood) - GD AD-DI X
    Mizuno JPX 919 Tour (5-PW) KBS S-Taper S
    Mizuno JPX 919 Forged (4) KBS S-Taper S
    Taylormade Milled Grind (52 & 58, SB) - Nippon Modus 130 S
    Taylormade Spider Tour (red) / Scotty Cameron Button Back Newport
    Titleist Pro V1
    Feeling sad and neglected: Taylormade P750 (4-PW) / Srixon 765 (4-PW) - Nippon Modus 3 130 S
  • dicksydicksy Members Posts: 185
    what we all need to realise is that Rory spent his youth and currently when at home playing golf mainly at Royal Portrush or Royal County Down, two of the worlds finest links courses where the wind can blow a gale. As Nerra said given our choice we'd all like to ply our trade in beautiful windless sunshine. Rory is now a very different golfer than the one who lost the Masters and blew up at the Open... i predict many many more tournament and major wins for him now...
  • irlgolf56irlgolf56 Members Posts: 1,537
    dicksy wrote:

what we all need to realise is that Rory spent his youth and currently when at home playing golf mainly at Royal Portrush or Royal County Down, two of the worlds finest links courses where the wind can blow a gale. As Nerra said given our choice we'd all like to ply our trade in beautiful windless sunshine. Rory is now a very different golfer than the one who lost the Masters and blew up at the Open... i predict many many more tournament and major wins for him now...

He shot 61 as a teenager at Royal Portrush, he can play in the wind.
  • TenwoodTenwood Members Posts: 100
    One ballsy prediction