Fake Golf Pride New Decade Multicompound Grips

willx01

There have been several threads created already on here about how to spot Fake Golf Pride New Decade Multicompound grips but no one has yet to showcase counterfeits with butt end wrappers.

Like everyone else that has posted in previous posts related to this topic, I bought the grips off ebay. Based on everything I read and what I saw, this post is intended to help anyone else out there who is questioning their grips. I read all the previous posts and didn't know if the things brought up were what I was seeing. This post is my effort to be as descriptive as possible and this is all coming from a person who bought his first set of grips and was hoping to get his first set of regripped clubs.

As I needed to get 14 clubs regripped, I had to buy 1 more and made the purchase at golfgalaxy. So from here on out, I'll refer to golfgalaxy's legit grip as (GG) and the one I know is a fake as (?).

#1, check all the grips you just bought and are in question. Maybe some of you will notice like I did that not all of them were the same length and that some were an inch or more shorter than some of the others.

#2, is to smell. I read the posts that fake ones smell sour. But if you're like me, your thinking too much of what you should be smelling and when it comes down to testing, you have no clue if it matches. Here is my two cents after smelling both the GG and the ?. I did notice that that ? smelled sour, more chemically and when I compare the smell to GG, the GG has more of this like clean smell kinda like a subtle peppermint type smell. The biggest thing is that the GG does not have a strong smell, it is subtle.

#3, is to feel. The previous posts are correct, the ? are much more hard or firm which ever description helps you out then the GG. When I squeeze both grips with my right hand, thumb on the alignment and index finger behind it (normal golf grip), the ? is firmer and rigid when squeezing all up and down the grip compared to the GG. The GG when you run your thumb along the grip from the Golf Pride logo down feels smooth whereas the ? you can feel the ridges from the "C" shaped black lines and then the "C" shaped notches on the grip handle. Previous posts stated weight differences but I don't have a mail scale, dont want to buy one and no one can tell the difference with their hands. But if you have one, I'd recommend checking.

#4, the opening of the grip where the club shaft is entered. This is something I have not seen posted so far. On the GG, 60R is seen on the inside and it is very clear. The inside is also smooth. The ? shows a 60R but it is not clear and the inside is bumpy with indentations. It also tries to say Tawain but it is an utter failure. I tried to take pics but its impossible to show.

Here are some pictures for other key points (sorry about the quality they were taken from my iphone):

Picture #1: Top is GG and bottom is ?. Notice the difference in color, white is brighter on ? then GG. Second notice the 'Golf Pride' lettering. On the GG it is larger and round especially for the 'l' and 'i'. Third, the thread on the handle is much more falsely prominent on the ? as it looks real but after inspection of the GG, it is obvious it is just a paint job or something. I tried the lick the thumb and try to rub it off test but didn't work. But it is fake nonetheless.

Picture #2: Both GG (top) and ? (bottom) have butt end plastic wrappers. Difference is that GG states MCC-60R-M07-X9 Made in Taiwan and ? well you can see its different. I dont know what the MCC blah blah stands for and don't care but from a google search of what the ? has, it shows results for Golf Pride NDMC for yellow and other colors not once for White. Also with the GG, the bar code and labels is on the back side of the grip not the front (Golf Pride logo) like for the ?

Picture #3: This was one that I thought other posts did well on. The backside of the grip notch. GG (top) ?(bottom). notice the middle notch (the one that is just like a regular cylinder shape in the white area full of crosses or side ways "t". The GG is more wide and deeper to the ?. I dont know if you can see but notice the black area on the left side. It is after the end of the grip where the cord is and before the two darker black "C" shaped bands that have a black area then it goes to the white area. The area looks like for both grips like portions of the rubber that are raised kinda like mountain peaks or nerds candy. On the GG that area on the reverse side (side with Golf Pride logo) is consistent whereas the ? the area is shades lighter and some areas have less nerds or mountain peaks. Third, notice also from this picture notice the white area but now look far right. You have one thick "C" shaped that has spots of white then a thin "C" shaped black line. Look at this thin line. The GG it is wider than the ?.

Picture #4 is the reverse side of the grip (Golf Pride logo side) that shows the difference in that thin black 'C' shaped line like i mentioned at the end of Picture #3. GG top and ? bottom. if you rotate the grip, those black "C"'s on the white area on the GG match up but on the ? there are areas where they dont. What I mean by that is on the side of the grip for both, there is clearly a vertical line that runs down the grip (most likely from the rubber manufacturing process or something) but this vertical line is where on both grips a tiny void is created in continuing the 'C' shape pattern. On the GG, there is a slight gap but the "C" shape black is on the same line or matches but on the ? they aren't lining up well and where one "C" leaves off, the continuing black is thicker after the vertical line. It just looks like a failure attempt elementary school style. It's so bad that I just took pictures to add below this sentence.

Here they are (called pic A which is ? and pic B GG)

Pic A ?

Pic B GG

Picture #5: the butt end plastic wrapper. GG on top and ? on bottom. Notice the two dark black 'C' shapes that run along the handle. The spacing and shape are different for the GG then the ?. Look at the 'C's right after the plastic wrapper, the ? looks fake as it is not as curvy a 'C'.

Picture #6: GG on left and ? on right. Notice that the ? has more white to represent the cord than the GG. Notice also the difference in the two dark black "C" shaped lines that run down the handle. Notice the difference in spots of white on the upper part of the picture.

Bottom line is that you already know what this all boils down to. If you are questioning if your grips are fake or have a doubt/gut feeling, majority of times you are right they are fake. Why else would someone off ebay even with 100% ratings and etc sell them for cheap. The only sellers capable of doing so are wholesale retailers and they would be most likely from golf stores not your average joes with 50 100% ratings. From now on I will buy my grips at GG or any other authorized retailer and it sucks to pay more but its the piece of mind that you have knowing you got what you paid for. I tried to contact the ebay seller for a refund and it's only been a day since I informed him with no response but I chose to open a resolution case because if he was unresponsive past the 7 day return period, I was thinking it could pose problems. I asked if he had any info to prove that these grips are legit to send my way but I know 100% that these are fake. I hope this helps some of you out there. Thanks for reading.

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, "I'll be a monkeys uncle".....Never woulda thought there'd be enough money in it to make fakes but I guess so....

After reading this I decided to compare the ones I bought off the bay to the ones on my new Mizzy's....I was fooled, the ones on my hybrid, driver and 3wood are fake....

That explains why the grip on my driver is already smooth....huh atleast it wasnt much money....

I am curious what ebay seller you got the fake ones from.

917 D3 8.5 Xphlexx Agera Orange RF Proto
SLDR Mini 12 Evo Speeder TS 757x
SLDR Mini 15.8 Rogue Black 110 80TX
Srixon 765 4-6 PX LZ 6.0
Srixon 965 7-PW PX LZ 6.0
Mizuno T7 50 PX LZ 6.0
Vokey TVD 54V & 58V
Bettinardi Studio Stock 14 or Odyssey O-works 7

I am hesitant to put the Ebay sellers name on here because I did receive a full refund and what if from now on the seller places authentic items on ebay and everyone reads this and assumes all the seller sells are fakes. At least this is here and searchable to aid in any buyers determination if their grips are authentic or counterfeit.

I hope that with more posts showcasing the differences in fakes and reals, the counterfeiters ultimately quit making them as the time and process to make products identical to the reals will be too time consuming and expensive for them or the other side, we get really good quality fakes.

[quote name='willx01' timestamp='1332512187' post='4562564']
I am hesitant to put the Ebay sellers name on here because I did receive a full refund and what if from now on the seller places authentic items on ebay and everyone reads this and assumes all the seller sells are fakes. At least this is here and searchable to aid in any buyers determination if their grips are authentic or counterfeit.

I hope that with more posts showcasing the differences in fakes and reals, the counterfeiters ultimately quit making them as the time and process to make products identical to the reals will be too time consuming and expensive for them or the other side, we get really good quality fakes.
[/quote]

Just curious, did you try scanning the barcode with a smart phone app? If you look at the beginning numbers of the UPC, they match, but if you look at the actual bars, they don't. Could be a pretty good indicator here too, to see if the scanned barcode A. Matches the product, and B. matches the written UPC.

No I did not. I only entered the bar code sequence in google but I was thinking about doing so. Just got lazy but my guess is that if you scan the barcode, you won't come up with anything.

[quote name='Scuds20' timestamp='1332562394' post='4568146']
[quote name='willx01' timestamp='1332512187' post='4562564']

[/quote]

Just curious, did you try scanning the barcode with a smart phone app? If you look at the beginning numbers of the UPC, they match, but if you look at the actual bars, they don't. Could be a pretty good indicator here too, to see if the scanned barcode A. Matches the product, and B. matches the written UPC.
[/quote]

Just came across this topic and it dawned on me that I had just purchased a set of 10 on ebay for a relatively good price. I went to check my stash and the first thing I noticed when I opened up the package was the foul smell. Then I checked the wrappers and they do not match genuine wrappers. I scanned the bar code and the numbers match but a search of the UPC comes up as RED NDMC grips (I do not know if Golf Pride uses only one UPC number for all colors.). I also checked the hash marks and other tell tale signs and they all appear to point towards my grips being fakes. I also matched the colors up to my real NDMC on my irons and the white on the ebay set are definitely whiter (Grips on my irons are a few months old bought at a retailer for full price.). My ebay grips weigh 50 grams. I think I've been had! I've contacted the seller and hopefully I can get a refund. Pictures attached...

I know it's tough to tell just from an ebay link, but are these legit?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/250967588359?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

They've sold 222 of them, and have 99.9% feedback (one negative out of 695 on some ink cartridges)

My concern is obviously the low price, and the fact that they are shipping from Hong Kong. Don't mean to stereotype, but at the very least it caused me to raise my eyebrow and I doubt I'm the only one. I do hope someone can confirm them, because this price is just unbelievably good.

I would say if they are shipping out of Hong Kong, then there is a pretty good chance they are fake. The counterfeiters have gotten pretty good with these grips and the fact that they come with the bar codes most buyers believe they are real thus the positive feedback. Also, if you look at the barcodes on the ebay listing and the ones that are pictured a couple of posts above they are the same.

917 D3 8.5 Xphlexx Agera Orange RF Proto
SLDR Mini 12 Evo Speeder TS 757x
SLDR Mini 15.8 Rogue Black 110 80TX
Srixon 765 4-6 PX LZ 6.0
Srixon 965 7-PW PX LZ 6.0
Mizuno T7 50 PX LZ 6.0
Vokey TVD 54V & 58V
Bettinardi Studio Stock 14 or Odyssey O-works 7

From the ebay picture, you can't really tell but my gut feeling is not good. The thing I would consider if i were you is that if they end up being counterfeits, you have to deal with trying to get a refund or opening a resolution claim then eventually paying to ship the counterfeit grips back to hong kong. But then again they could be authentic and you got them at a good price.

[quote name='EricZ116' timestamp='1332950477' post='4598755']

[url="http://www.ebay.com/itm/250967588359?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649"]http://www.ebay.com/...984.m1423.l2649[/url]

They've sold 222 of them, and have 99.9% feedback (one negative out of 695 on some ink cartridges)

My concern is obviously the low price, and the fact that they are shipping from Hong Kong. Don't mean to stereotype, but at the very least it caused me to raise my eyebrow and I doubt I'm the only one. I do hope someone can confirm them, because this price is just unbelievably good.
[/quote]

[quote name='willx01' timestamp='1332961375' post='4599979']
From the ebay picture, you can't really tell but my gut feeling is not good. The thing I would consider if i were you is that if they end up being counterfeits, you have to deal with trying to get a refund or opening a resolution claim then[b] eventually paying to ship the counterfeit grips back to hong kong[/b]. But then again they could be authentic and you got them at a good price.

[url="http://www.ebay.com/itm/250967588359?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649"]http://www.ebay.com/...984.m1423.l2649[/url]

[/quote]
[/quote]

If I remember correctly, I believe there are several people on here that have said that PayPal has you dispose of the item, since mailing counterfeit goods is a crime itself.

I was going by ebay's buyer protection steps:
"A full refund is one that covers the cost of the item and original shipping. If you've received an item and want a full refund, you'll usually need to send the item back to the seller. "

"[b]Do I need to send the item back to the seller? [/b]
Yes, if you opened an item not as described case for a purchase covered by eBay Buyer Protection. You'll also need to provide us with the shipping tracking number (with Signature Confirmation for items worth more than $250) to receive your refund through PayPal. "

Hopefully, someone can chime in and let us know for sure.

[quote name='Scuds20' timestamp='1332961657' post='4600003']
[quote name='willx01' timestamp='1332961375' post='4599979']
From the ebay picture, you can't really tell but my gut feeling is not good. The thing I would consider if i were you is that if they end up being counterfeits, you have to deal with trying to get a refund or opening a resolution claim then[b] eventually paying to ship the counterfeit grips back to hong kong[/b]. But then again they could be authentic and you got them at a good price.

[/quote]
[/quote]

If I remember correctly, I believe there are several people on here that have said that PayPal has you dispose of the item, since mailing counterfeit goods is a crime itself.
[/quote]

I too bought some fakes. they are all over ebay. a seller names discountshadesusa has been selling them by the bucket load. I contacted Golf Pride but got no response. by the way the bar codes match so thats not the way to tell. The best and easiest way is to look at the middle of the top side of the grip. There is a white dash by the thumbguide. if you look at the real grip horozontally you will find 10 stars or perforations above and below the dash up to the seam on the grip. they are not in a uniform pattern. on the fakes the pattern is more uniform and there are 12 stars or perforations.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/250967588359?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

[/quote]

they are fake! look at pattern below dash

So I suppose that these are fakes too? I bought them off the bay in Germany. The seller had 100 % good feedback and 65 Euros for 10 Grips seemed ok. I contacted Eaton but they didn't answer my mail. They also feel less tacky than the NDMCs I bought at a local retailer and they lost their grip pretty quick. I contacted the seller about my concerns and all he had to say was that Golf Pride manufactures their grips at different plants.

[attachment=1101743:IMG_1018.JPG][attachment=1101737:IMG_1026.JPG][attachment=1101741:IMG_1020.JPG]

[quote name='Scuds20' timestamp='1333461300' post='4638049']
[url="http://www.patrickjones.com/golfwriting/GolfPride.pdf?bcsi_scan_DCDE88F406384355=0&bcsi_scan_filename=GolfPride.pdf"]This pdf[/url] states "...sole American-based plant..."

Not saying if they're real or not, but the seller is full of crap.
[/quote]

I thought so too and sent them back. Got a full return. The only problem is that I already bought grips from this seller in the past and eventually sold the clubs I equipped with them... Regarding the fake aspect: There is a huge difference in the pattern of these little cross-shaped "dimples" on the grips. These 5 grips are 100 % authentic retail.
[attachment=1101749:IMG_0999.JPG]
It's easy to notice the difference. They also all have the same weight, 48 grams. The fakes differed from 46 to 53! The authentic ones also state the color and the "made in..." on the label at the butt end of the grip. The fakes obviously not.

Btw, for all germans or europeans in general reading this thread: If you want to know the name/website of the seller, message me.

[size="6"][b]Edit: [/b][/size]

The grips displayed above are definite fakes. Finally got an answer from Golf Pride/Eaton:

[quote]Thank you for bringing this to our attention. After reading through your email and going through the pictures the grips you have identified are counterfeit. Even the ones with the wrapping on them are counterfeit. They have the wrong codes on them so they are 100% counterfeit. The red ones are also counterfeit. You mentioned that you purchased the grips from eBay. Could you provide the eBay sellers name and any information you have on him? We are currently working on taking many of the counterfeiters down on eBay and this information would be very helpful. We have found that the majority of grips being sold on eBay are counterfeit. This being said we do not recommend purchasing any grips from eBay. If you or anyone you know has any questions as to weather a grip is authentic please let me know before you purchase and I can help. Once again thank you for the information and if you have any more questions please let me know.[/quote]

So I called eBay and had them open up a case for my fake grips AND... they denied my claim and went in favor of the seller! It's not about the money but I just don't want others to get taken by this seller. The sellers ID is "slobimmer". The thing is that this seller knows that they are fake cause he sent me an email saying, "[size=2]If you would have said something within the 3 days it says in my auction I would have had no problem refunding you your money.". He never denies that his grips are fakes or claims that they are real. [/size]Buyer beware![url="http://myworld.ebay.com/slobimmer/?_trksid=p4340.l2559"][/url]

• 2 weeks later...

I just got mine in the mail the other day and I know they are fake from reading these threads after I received them. My question is, is there that big of a difference to warrant opening a claim? I had Sharpros on my old clubs that I had and I know the debate rages on about whether there is a difference or not, but Im hesitant to put them on my clubs. If they play like the sharpros then I will be ok with it. Any thoughts?