Aitch's 2012 WITB - Update 9/17

Cliffnotes version: Adams, Accra, Cobra, & C-Tapers
It has been a while since I updated my WITB and since not a single club is the same as my last update, I figured that a completely new topic was needed. I'm sure I'm about to give myself the kiss of death, but I don't think that I could put a better bag together. Every club flat out performs for me. The bag I will mostly use is a Swift X since I walk 99% of my rounds and the head covers are from Stitch Golf.

Here is an overview of the bag:

My main driver is an 8.5* Adams 4250 DF that is just shy of 1* open. This is by far the best driver I have played and I used to be a huge fan of the Speedline Classic and the 9015D. This driver launches like a 10.5, but spins like an 8.5. I have also been experimenting with a 7.5* 4250, but I really doubt it sees much time on the course. The 8.5 has an Accra Tour Proto M5 75 that has been tipped 0.5 inches. The 7.5* has an Accra Dymatch S3 75 M5.

My fairway woods are Adams as well. The 3 wood is a front weighted (low launch) 15* 9033 F that is 1* open and has an Accra XE80 with 1" of tipping. Not much else to say about my 3 wood, except that it beat out my 3446-F.

The 5 wood is a back weighted 18.5* 9033 HF that is 2* open and is by far my favorite club in the bag. It is shafted with an Accra Dymatch S3 98 M5 tipped 1". With a normal swing, it has the trajectory of a 7 iron with a nice draw. What's even better is that I can choke down a bit and hit a high fade that lands very softly. Even lower trajectory shots are easy to manage with this club. It is versatile enough that it covers the gap really well from my 3 wood to 4 iron.

The irons are Cobra S3 Pro's. The 4-6 are CBs and 7-GW are MBs. They have KBS C-Taper X soft stepped one time. The grips are Grip Master Clubmaker Stitchback.

54* and 58* wedges are raw TM XFT with KBS Tour X.

Putter is a MACHINE with a pingman grip and plays at 33.5". It has a carbon steel head and hosel with an alloy double fat back flange. 1/2 shaft offset, face balanced, and satin nickle finish.

The ball I play is the Nike One Tour D. I have been stocking up on these for a while now. I'm not going to make the same mistake that I did with the TP Red. I think I have horded about 15 dozen so far. The last two dozen I picked up were a mix of the One (star)Tour D and One (diamond) Tour D, so it should be fun to see how these play different than the standard Tour D.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='slc14' timestamp='1332871066' post='4592594']
Always liked the look of those wedges, nice bag
[/quote]

Thanks. So far I like the wedges. In the past couple of years, I have had more than a few wedge benders and my plan with these is to build a perfect set of wedges that I don't need to change, I can just change the faces.

I don't have enough time with them yet to figure out if I want to send them off to Joe to have him work his magic with a grinder.

[quote name='scratchswinger' timestamp='1332871530' post='4592654']
Good looking set.... How do you like the Swift X? Does it fit 14 clubs ok and is the two way top pose any problems? I was thinking of getting one... Thx
[/quote]

Thanks. So far, the swift x seems to be a solid bag. I have almost exclusively used a 3.5 since it came out. I was talking with fore_life about his and decided I would give it a try.

I compared it to the TM, Cally, and a few other ultra light stand bags in the store and the swift x had the least amount of grip tangle. So far, I really haven't had any problem with 14 clubs. The top is pretty wide, so there's plenty of room and for only having one divider, there is less grip tangle than I expected.

Sick set up, glad you like the swift x so far!

I actually prefer the 2 slots, it seems like I get less chatter when I walk, and really no issues with them getting snagged.

How do you like those head covers? They are growing on me a lot, my rocket tours are starting to show a little wear

callaway epic max ls MMT x
Ping G25 15* Black Tie

818 H2 set 21* evenflow 6.5

HOGAN ft worth black x100

cleveland 50* scratch  54 & 60 customs T&A
Cleveland TA milled options

Thanks bro. I really like this set.

With the swift x, it does seem like there is less chatter. I think it because all of the club heads rest against each other at the bottom when it's carried.

I like the head covers so far, but I haven't had them long. I picked them up when Kingdom59 was promoting them. Here are a few pics of the leather and stitching. In the fourth picture, I tried to compare the thickness of the leather to a quarter.

[attachment=1091056:CIMG1062.JPG]

[attachment=1091058:CIMG1064.JPG]

[attachment=1091060:CIMG1069.JPG]

[attachment=1091062:CIMG1074.JPG]

[quote name='Xpicc19' timestamp='1332883324' post='4594034']
what kind of headcovers are those. iv'e been looking for something similar and really like the look of those!! also how big are they, especially the driver. i have a 910d3 and i don't want it to be too snug! thanks
[/quote]

The head covers are made by Stitch. I haven't tried one on a 910 D3, but I don't think it would be a problem. Here is a thread that has some information about the head covers:

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/592421-stitch-golf-leather-headcover-pictures-initial-impressions/

Unfortunately, I haven't had a chance to play either one yet. Work and a five month old have kept me to busy. The only thing I know about their differences is what I've read on this site.

I'm hoping to be able to fit in a round in about a week or so and I plan on trying all three. We'll see if I can notice any difference.

Congrats on the baby! And sweet set up. Great choice in clubs, esp the drivers and Accra shafts (I sold my Dymatch S3 to buy the Tour Z 85). And those 4250s have me thinking...

Cobra King LTD 9*, Fujikura Ventus TR Red 6X
Cobra King Tec 17*, Fujikura Axiom 105S

Adams A12 19*, Diamana Thump X
TM TP MC/MB, Fujikura Axiom 105S 
Vokey 250.08, SM9 54-S & 60-V, DG S400
Toulon Palm Beach

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Puppetmaster' timestamp='1333467272' post='4638847']
Congrats on the baby! And sweet set up. Great choice in clubs, esp the drivers and Accra shafts (I sold my Dymatch S3 to buy the Tour Z 85). And those 4250s have me thinking...
[/quote]

I don't know what it is about this particular 8.5* 4250. I have picked up two others trying to create a duplicate and they end up performing differently...they're still really good, but launch a little lower (like a regular 8.5*)...it's weird.

[quote name='Aitch' timestamp='1334529077' post='4727506']
[quote name='Puppetmaster' timestamp='1333467272' post='4638847']
[/quote]

I don't know what it is about this particular 8.5* 4250. I have picked up two others trying to create a duplicate and they end up performing differently...they're still really good, but launch a little lower (like a regular 8.5*)...it's weird.
[/quote]

Thanks, but it's a moot point for me now, after my most recent fitting, I'm looking for 10.5* driver heads, LOL.

Toulon Palm Beach

• 5 months later...

Here are a few updates:

Ping G20 8.5* with an Accra Dymatch 2.0. I started the summer with a Razr Fit and was happy with it, but this G20 is really good. I picked it up on a whim and I'm really glad I did. The 4250DF will always be one of my favorite drivers, but it can't beat the G20 in forgiveness in off center hits. The only change I might make to it is to put the Tour Proto from the 4250 in it.

[attachment=1351107:G20.jpg]

[attachment=1351109:White.jpg]

I'm also trying out the Dymatch 2.0 in my 9033f and a 19* Adams XTD Super Hybrid. The super hybrid is a temporary replacement until a new Tour Z+ 95 M5 arrives from Accra for my 9033hf. I was playing a round about two weeks ago and busted the S3 98 M5 I had in the 9033hf. I've broken several shafts since I started playing and this was the only time that I was truely upset. I hope the Tour Z plays as well as the old shaft because that was my favorite club for the last two years.

On a side note, the super hybrid is by far the worst Adams hybrid I have ever hit. I had high hopes for this club, but after three rounds and ten range sessions, it's gone as soon as the 9033hf is fixed.

[attachment=1351123:FandH.jpg]

And last, but not least, new wedges. Vokey SM4's. I wanted a larger gap from my 50* to my next wedge, so I went with a 56* and then decided to try out a 62* as well. So far, so good. The 62* isn't as hard to play as I thought it would be and the grind is very versatile.

[attachment=1351125:SM4.jpg]

[quote name='Golfnole3' timestamp='1333325291' post='4626461']
So tell us the difference between the regular One Tour D and the others with the Star and Diamond!
[/quote]

I know it's been a while since you asked the question, but better late than never right? :busted2:

The diamond spins much more off of every club and is 10-15 yards shorter with the driver. The difference between the star and the regular Tour D is not nearly as drastic. About the only difference I can tell is that it spins more off the irons and feels just a smidge softer on partial shots and off the putter.

what do you think about those accra shafts? Anything you'd compare them to?

Oh, also... what do think about he gripmasters? I'm kind of curious about putting them on my woods or wedges. What happened to the xft's? I love those raw ones man!

callaway epic max ls MMT x
Ping G25 15* Black Tie

818 H2 set 21* evenflow 6.5

HOGAN ft worth black x100

cleveland 50* scratch  54 & 60 customs T&A
Cleveland TA milled options

[quote name='fore_life' timestamp='1347933922' post='5654939']
what do you think about those accra shafts? Anything you'd compare them to?

Oh, also... what do think about he gripmasters? I'm kind of curious about putting them on my woods or wedges. What happened to the xft's? I love those raw ones man!
[/quote]

I haven't played a different brand of shafts in so long, I don't think I can accurately compare them to anything. They are stout and stable, but still have "feel" to them. I really like them because they are tip stiff and their profile works with my swing. One of these days, I need to make my way to fittting center that has a large selection of x-stiff shafts so I can compare.

I really like the gripmasters. I've had them for around a year now and they're holding up really well. I like the firmness and how easy they are to maintain...just a quick wipe down with a damp towel. I also like the feel of the stitching down the back of the grip. And I wouldn't call them tacky like the No1 grips I have on my wedges, but they don't slip when my hands are damp.

I still have the xft's, I just wanted to try some different lofts. I've been playing 54/58 or a close variation like 53/58 or 53/59 for a long time with a PW that was 47 or 48*. Now that my PW is 46 and GW is 50, I wanted to try something different. It feels like the 4* gaps are too close now. And I'll tell you, the 62* is a fun club to hit. If the 56/62 doesn't work, I might try bending the 54/58 to 55/60...who knows.

Awesome updates. I still haven't tried the 2.0s, but feedback from you and others have been great. Let me know how you like the Tour Z+ 95, I like the 85 (non +) in my Sonartec, just not a fan of the head.

Toulon Palm Beach

[quote name='Puppetmaster' timestamp='1348057416' post='5662449']
Awesome updates. I still haven't tried the 2.0s, but feedback from you and others have been great. Let me know how you like the Tour Z+ 95, I like the 85 (non +) in my Sonartec, just not a fan of the head.
[/quote]

So far I like the 2.0 in the G20 and I liked it in the Razr Fit also, but I really think I like the Tour Proto/Tour Z+ profile better. If I get some extra time in the next few months, I'm going to tear apart my 4250 and G20 and put RF tips on the shafts and get on trackman.

I'll definitely let you know about the 95+.

[quote name='Puppetmaster' timestamp='1348057483' post='5662453']
And I agree with you on the XTD, although I think we're in the minority here.
[/quote]

Ya, I don't know what it is about that club. I tried it with several different weights and I even tried adding lead tape under the grip, which is something I never do, and I still couldn't get it to feel right and perform like Adams' previous hybrid offerings.

As soon as the 95+ shows up, the stock shaft is going back in and it's becoming shop credit!