2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Which one, TP3, TP5, ProV1x, Hex Black Tour?

yrose

Please help me choose between these balls, or narrow to 2 that I can out through a decent test. I think I have gotten down to these four and I know they're different, but still need some help

I really need less side spin off the tee, and can afford to sacrifice some distance off the tee. Average over 300 Yards off the tee.

I dont want a ball that spins back 15 feet on the greens on short irons and wedges, but also need something that has some response on 20 yards and in.

I get so distracted by reading som much about different balls that I just want some help from all of you from your experiences.

Please respond

Ping I20 10.5 TFC 707D xFlex
Mizuno MX 700 20, 23. Fujikura 380 HB X
Mizuno MP-54 4-7 1 DG UP X100 D-4
Mizuno MP-64 8-PW
Cleveland 588 RTX Cavity X100
Bettinardi BB1 2011 Wynn

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My vote is for TP3...great off the tee, around the greens and very durable!

LEFT HANDED
Driver:  TaylorMade SIM 2 9 degree adjusted to 10.5
Fairway:  TaylorMade SIM 2 16.5 degree 
Hybrid:  TaylorMade M4 19 degree
Irons:  Cobra Forged Tec X 5-GW/Wedge: TaylorMade Milled Grind 2 54 degree
Putter: Work in Progress
Ball: TaylorMade TP5 yellow

[quote name='StrokerAce' timestamp='1334231709' post='4706552']
Bridgestone Tour B330-rx... plain and simple the best ball on the market today.
[/quote]

Even for 110+SS? I am also looking for low driver spin and willing to let a pitch roll out a little. I'm very interested in the OP 's four choices. Sorry to thread jack.

[quote name='PINGWRXforeme' timestamp='1334232392' post='4706598']
[quote name='StrokerAce' timestamp='1334231709' post='4706552']
Bridgestone Tour B330-rx... plain and simple the best ball on the market today.
[/quote]

Even for 110+SS? I am also looking for low driver spin and willing to let a pitch roll out a little. I'm very interested in the OP 's four choices. Sorry to thread jack.
[/quote]

Hmmm... wow... didn't realize your swing speed was so fast. Pretty sure that this is was Couples and Kuchar play. I just like Bridgestone's commit to ball fitting. If you get a chance you should try it out! Good luck!

StrokerAceTM

[quote name='Eternal' timestamp='1334205088' post='4705890']
Sounds like TP3 is what you are looking for
[/quote]

in my opinion, TP3 may be the worst ball of the four for what he is looking for - less side spin on drives and not something that's going to check back fifteen feet on the green. hard to tell how the OP's swing generates spin but in a side by side comparison, the TP3 ball is the worst of the four when trying to meet the requested criteria. also mentioned previously in this thread is swing speed - quite a hot topic nowadays (thanks Bridgestone!) - what is the OP's swing speed? regardless, with an average drive of 300yds, i doubt we have to focus too much on compression.

one i'd add to the list instead of the TP3 ball is the Hex Chrome. that makes the comparison much more tight between the four and *may meet his needs off the tee and around the greens.

i have tested all four this year and most in side by side comparisons (TP3 vs. TP5, TP5 vs. Black, Black vs. *Chrome, TP3 vs. Chrome, Black vs. ProV1x)

this is how i'd rank the balls and why:

less driver spin, less green spin while still being able to hold the green and since driver spin is an issue, may as well add in the wind factor and the ball's ability to fight it.

TP5 - much improved over the previous model from the tees and very similar around the greens
Hex Black - personally i like this the best of the four but it may spin more than the Penta
ProV1x - not terribly well into the wind (spins more than the two above)
TP3 - if someone is averaging 300 off the tee and wanting less spin, stay away from this ball altogether. balls hit directly into or into side winds were problematic for me and i have nowhere near a 300 yd avg. has a ton of green spin

but if really wanting to test, with the main criteria. take off the ProV1x and TP3 and add the [b]Srixon Z Star XV[/b]. it may meet the request and i'd have it first in the list as my recommendation for lower driver spin, adequate approach shot characteristics, wind deterrence and durability. the below listed topic has a good discussion and recommendations for the OP all in one thread.

"Bored of ProV1x" - [url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/631900-bored-of-pro-v1x/"]http://www.golfwrx.c...red-of-pro-v1x/ [/url]

Callaway Rogue ST LS 9* Ventus Blue Velo TR 6s                        Titleist TSi3 9* Tour AD-TP 6s

Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero 3w 15* - Tour AD-DI 7s                 Titleist TSi3 3w 16.5* Tour AD-DI 7s
Titleist 910h 19* Tour AD-DI Hybrid 85s                                        Titleist TSi2 19*  Tour AD-DI Hybrid 85s
2021 Titleist T100s 5-GW w/ MMT 95s                                          Ping i25 5-PW w/ C Taper 120s

Callaway PM Grind/ 54*/ 60*                                                          Scratch DW 50*, TM MG High Toe 56*/ 60*        
Bettinardi Queen B #10 Tiffany                                                       Scotty Cameron California Fastback                                             

my guess is couples and kuchar aren't playing the rx version. if your swingspeed is that high just go with the b330 or b330s instead of the rx.

Ping G400 LST 10 w/ Hzrdus Black 6.0 75g
TM M2 3HL w/ Rogue Black 70 S
Cobra F8 19*
J15CB w/ Modus 120X 4-P
Cleveland RTX3 CB 50 54 58
TM Spider Tour Black w/ T-sightline 36" 

[quote name='Toddo64' timestamp='1334232389' post='4706596']
My vote is for TP3...great off the tee, around the greens and very durable!

[/quote]

I agree on all three points. In the past I played Z-Star, ProV1 and ProV1X. This ball beats them for my game. It plays good in the wind too. For $35 they're a great deal.

I have spent a lot of time testing all balls mentioned by OP; and in addition Hex Chrome, 2012 B330 and Z Star XV. My testing has been done three ways, on course testing, on course play and Trackman.

For me I was searching for three things, less driver spin and (easy enough), less spin into greens with full iron and wedge shots, (still sounds easy), and finally I WANTED green side spin (easy if you don't include the other two!). It was relativity easy to find two of the three, but the total package got a bit more difficult. What I did come to realize is this extreme spin control seems to be where the new five piece balls excel.

In short here are my findings:

On Trackman Penta TP5 had lowest driver spin for me of all balls mentioned. On the course Chrome was consistently a couple of yards longer. With OP's distance on tee balls I doubt the Chromes extra yards are relevant. I average just over 100mph driver swing, so I didn't get as much from the firmer Hex Black and 2012 B330 as the OP may.

As far as not ripping the ball back per OP's request, for me TP5 wins here also. Plus the kicker is the TP5 gives me the green side spin I was looking for.

So TP5 gets my vote!

PING G430 Max 10K Driver 8º ~ GD Tour AD-IZ 5

PING G430 Max 3 Wood 14º ~ GD Tour AD-IZ 6

Titleist TSr2 5 Wood 18º ~ GD Tour AD-IZ 7

Titleist TSr2 7 Wood 21º ~ GD Tour AD-XC 8

Srixon ZX4 Mk II Irons 5–7 ~ Project X IO 6.0

Srixon ZX5 Mk II Irons 8–P ~ Project X IO 6.0

Vokey Design SM9 Raw Wedges 'Voke' Handground 50.12F • 56.08M • 62.08M ~ Project X 6.0
Odyssey  Tri-Hot 5K Three ~ BGT Stability Tour 2 Polar
Titleist Pro V1x ~ #12

I think you will probably be more happy with the prov1 x.

1. The prov1x dimple pattern is engineered to lead to a higher launch, along with lower spin off the long clubs.

2. The high trajectory helps even iron shots to stop quickly, despite the lower spin.

3. Has a good spin rate on wedge shots that will allow the ball to stop close to where it lands, but not so much that you are ripping balls back.

So unless you play in very windy conditions, or on really hard greens that need a lot of spin for stopping power, I'd start your search with the pro V1x.

I don't have much experience with the TP line of balls. But the Bridgestone spun too much off of every club for my taste.

PIng G25 8.5/Fuji MS 7.2 TS X
Ping Rapture 13*/Fuji MS 7.2 TS X
Ping G25 19*/Fuji MS 7.2 TS X
Ping S55 (3-PW)/ PX 6.5
Ping Tour Gorge 54* and 60*
Odyssey 2-ball Versa, 34"

[quote name='G-Bone' timestamp='1334248918' post='4708406']
I have spent a lot of time testing all balls mentioned by OP; and in addition Hex Chrome, 2012 B330 and Z Star XV. My testing has been done three ways, on course testing, on course play and Trackman.

For me I was searching for three things, less driver spin and (easy enough), less spin into greens with full iron and wedge shots, (still sounds easy), and finally I WANTED green side spin (easy if you don't include the other two!). It was relativity easy to find two of the three, but the total package got a bit more difficult. What I did come to realize is this extreme spin control seems to be where the new five piece balls excel.

On Trackman Penta TP5 had lowest driver spin for me of all balls mentioned. On the course Chrome was consistently a couple of yards longer. With OP's distance on tee balls I doubt the Chromes extra yards are relevant. I average just over 100mph driver swing, so I didn't get as much from the firmer Hex Black and 2012 B330 as the OP may.

As far as not ripping the ball back per OP's request, for me TP5 wins here also. Plus the kicker is the TP5 gives me the green side spin I was looking for.

So TP5 gets my vote!
[/quote]

I wonder how much the difference in swing speed will affect your evaluation of the TP5. I have recently been playing solely ProV1x and have mixed in the TP5 a bit. I need to give it some more oncourse time for proper evalution.

Mizuno MP-64 8-PW
Bettinardi BB1 2011 Wynn

Ever try the B330?

[size=3][font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif][url="https://www.usna.edu/homepage.php"]Go Navy![/url]

[b][u]WITB[/u][/b]
Titleist 915 D4 8.5 Oban V430 6.5 75g
Titleist 915 F2 15 Rogue Silver 80S
Titleist VG3 18.5 JDM PX 6.0
Titleist 680 raw 4-PW Nippon MODUS 125S
Titleist TVD raw C-C 53 and Indigo SM5 58 DGTI
Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless Newport Beach 340g 35"
Scotty Cameron MilSpec Gen2 330g 35"[/font][/size]

[quote name='Titleist-Golfer' timestamp='1334363295' post='4717666']
Ever try the B330?
[/quote]

2010 version only. I couldnt hold tight pin locations when it got really firm out.

Mizuno MP-64 8-PW
Bettinardi BB1 2011 Wynn

[quote name='yrose' timestamp='1334363951' post='4717732']
Ever try the B330?
[/quote]

2010 version only. I couldnt hold tight pin locations when it got really firm out.
[/quote]
The new dual dimple 330 seems like it has a lot softer cover than previous versions.

[quote name='PINGWRXforeme' timestamp='1334364333' post='4717780']
[quote name='yrose' timestamp='1334363951' post='4717732']
Ever try the B330?
[/quote]

[/quote]
The new dual dimple 330 seems like it has a lot softer cover than previous versions.
[/quote]

Ill certainly give it a try.

Mizuno MP-64 8-PW
Bettinardi BB1 2011 Wynn

• 3 weeks later...

In the last month I've tested the Prov1x, Penta tp3. I haven't tried the b330 tour or the penta tp5 yet to give a good comparison but I know people who play these that have very fast swing speeds and they swear by it, sounds like this might be the right one for you. This guy I play with was a quarterback for UC all 4 years and could of gone pro if it wasnt for a shoulder injury, just to let you know how much of an athlete he is. He can easy generate swing speeds in the 115-125's. prov1x's spin too much for him on approach shots and drives. B330 is the lowest in spin for him off the tee while still have that drop and stop and control around greens without over biting.

For me I don't quite swing as fast as him but am pretty close. Not to boast on my own stats but to help the OP. On my 80 percent swing off driver I average about 112-116 ss.

Yesterday I played with the TP3. For me it was a good bit lower spin off the driver than the prov1x but spun way too much on my wedges. Both balls work well for me with the irons up to the pitching wedge of the same set. I have the cg15 wedges which have the non conforming box grooves and it spins like CRAZY with the tp3. I was going into the last hole on a course called California. 400 yards--hit a 3 wood(driver broke and is getting replaced) okay and now I'm bragging a little here sorry. Let just say I had 100 yards left for the second shot...You do the math I don't know never hit a 3 wood that far lol but I definitely think it had to do with the tp3's very low spin off driver... Ok so the second shot I hit a solid sand wedge hits 5 feet near the hole and comes back 25 ft! there was a slight incline but not THAT much. There was a guy watching on the putting green and came up to me asking me how the f I did that. Obviously you don't want this much spin

Anyway the tp3 is a good ball if you don't spin it so much. The penta tp3 was a good 10-25 yards longer off the tee than the prov1x for me. But the prov1x has a lot more control "less spin" on shorter 125 yards to 70 yards---70 yards and in the two play very similar apart from the putting which the tp3 has a more buttery feel verses the more clicky feeling of the prov1x . I still found the Prov1x to have a bit too much spin on the full approach shots. I really do like both for the half wedges, pitches, and chipping and the tp3 a bit more for the putting.

Next balls for me to try are the b330 tour and taylormade penta tp5. I'm excited to try the tp5 because if I can get the length of the tp3 off the tee, the control of the full wedges of the prov1x and the short game control around the greens of both balls that would be priceless, well almost!

TO BE CONTINUED

anyone comparing last years Penta to the TP3, TP5, or other. just curious if its has more spin off driver. i'm basically wanting to know if its worth buying the TP5 year's last years version.

Ping G400 LST 10 w/ Hzrdus Black 6.0 75g
TM M2 3HL w/ Rogue Black 70 S
Cobra F8 19*
J15CB w/ Modus 120X 4-P
Cleveland RTX3 CB 50 54 58
TM Spider Tour Black w/ T-sightline 36" 

This years Penta TP5 is much longer and lowering spinning than original Penta when using driver and fairway woods. I picked up about 8 yards off the tee and dropped my spin by almost 400 rpm.

PING G430 Max 10K Driver 8º ~ GD Tour AD-IZ 5

PING G430 Max 3 Wood 14º ~ GD Tour AD-IZ 6

Titleist TSr2 5 Wood 18º ~ GD Tour AD-IZ 7

Titleist TSr2 7 Wood 21º ~ GD Tour AD-XC 8

Srixon ZX4 Mk II Irons 5–7 ~ Project X IO 6.0

Srixon ZX5 Mk II Irons 8–P ~ Project X IO 6.0

Vokey Design SM9 Raw Wedges 'Voke' Handground 50.12F • 56.08M • 62.08M ~ Project X 6.0
Odyssey  Tri-Hot 5K Three ~ BGT Stability Tour 2 Polar
Titleist Pro V1x ~ #12

Today I did some ball testing of the TP3, Srixon Z-Star, Hex Chrome and ProV1X while walking 18. It was 89 degrees with a 5-10 mph wind and the pace of play was slow. I have been playing the Z-Star and Prov1X for the last several years. SS is about 104 with the driver. I hit a lot of irons from adjacent to each tee while waiting for the group ahead to hit their second shots. Here is what I discovered:

*The TP3 and Hex Chrome gave me 1/2 club more distance than the Z-Star off 7, 8 and 9 iron shots. I was surprised by this. I only had one Prov1X and I was playing that ball so I couldn't compare it to the others on practice shots.
* The TP3 and Hex Chrome were always about the same in distance. The TP3 felt softer to me off my irons.
* When I had time, I hit chip shots to the green and found that the TP3, Hex Chrome and Prov1X stopped similarly with a slight edge to the ProV1X
*When I was able to hit all three from the tee, The Prov1X was a little longer on most holes [5 yards] but the TP3 was very close.
*For my swing both the Prov1X and TP3 seemed to be less affected by the slight breeze and both were very similar in side spin. The Hex Chrome had more side spin and faded or drew more than the other two off the driver.
*All three felt soft off the putter but the TP3 was softest of the three.

I would rate the Prov1X and TP3 in a virtual tie and performed much better than my old reliable Srixon Z-Star. The Hex Chrome is a great ball but I have to give the edge to the other two.

Bottom line: I'll play the Prov1X because I can get them from insurance agent for $20 per dozen but I will be buying the TP3s to mix into play.

I understand why madGolfer76 simply posted :russian_roulette:...all three are great balls.

Rev.

Also, I have played several rounds this year with the Hex Black and hit some great drives but just couldn't compress it enough at my swing speed off the irons.

[quote name='G-Bone' timestamp='1334248918' post='4708406']

So TP5 gets my vote!
[/quote]

I agree. I started last year playing the Z-Star and this year went to the Taylor Made TP3. I'm now playing the Penta TP5 and think its the best of the lot. Great feel, good durability, good distance and seemingly perfect iron spin no matter the shot I'm playing.