Which stroke type do you use?

hebron1427hebron1427 Older. Slower. Weaker. AtlJeffMembers Posts: 3,720
SBST, arc, inside then down the line, other
Just curious what most people here are using, or if there's a consensus either way. if you do know, please let me know how/when you found out and whether you use a putter with "appropriate" toe hang.

thanks.

Comments

• northgolfnorthgolf Pork Members Posts: 4,013 ✭✭
    I have been putting SBST since I was a lad in the 60's.

I bought a putter that is heel balanced today, so today I have started using a putter with the "appropriate" toe hang. For the past 25 years (at least) I have been been playing an inappropriate face balanced slotline inertial putter.
    If I do this 11,548 more times, I will be having fun. - Zippy the Pinhead
  • armydiverarmydiver Members Posts: 748 ✭✭
    I am SBST. I found this out by using the Ping putting app. at the local golf store. The app recommends 2 degrees of loft which is interesting.
  • Scotty1140Scotty1140 Members Posts: 4,442 ✭✭
    Very much an inside down the line, slight arched putting stroke. I play nothing but "appropriate" Anser style, plumber's neck putters. I have always felt comfortable with this style putter. Started using an old Ping Anser 2 long before I had even heard the words "toe hang". I keep using it not based on stroke, but the fact that's it's easy to line up and I consistently hit the sweet spot. Any face balanced or flow neck putter I've ever bought eventually made it's way to ebay.
  • MadGolfer76MadGolfer76 Admiration is the state furthest from understanding. Members Posts: 19,891 ✭✭
    Side-saddle, left hand low, or Nicklaus piston...depending on the putt.
    Titleist 915 D4 10.5
    Callaway BBA 816 16
    Mizuno CLK 19, 22
    Mizuno JPX 900HM 5-Lw
    PING Sigma G Tyne
    Srixon Z-Star
    WITB
  • indyvaiindyvai Members Posts: 1,527
    Great poll! I'm shocked by the IDTL majority...
  • gmetcalf18gmetcalf18 Members Posts: 920 ✭✭
    Sbst for me when I get lazy there's a slight arc in my swing i'm messing with a piretti forza right now but i'm pushing putts to the right I think my bb32 is going back in the bag after some experimenting. I do really like the heavier weight of the piretti 375g now I've got to find a Betti belly putter and cut it down
    Callaway XR16 Pro 9* Fujikura Speeder Evolution II TS 65 S
    TaylorMade M1 17* Fujikura Pro 70 S
    Srixon Z45h 19* Aldila Rouge Black 85S
    Srixon 745 4-P Tour Issue S400
    Bettinardi Soft Carbon Stinger Raw 51*-55*-59* KBS HiRev Tour
    Bettinardi Soft Carbon Half Moon Raw 33.5"
    Srixon Z Star
  • hebron1427hebron1427 Older. Slower. Weaker. AtlJeff Members Posts: 3,720
    indyvai wrote:

me too. i'm amazed im STILL the only swinging gate.
  • BENNYSUPREMEBENNYSUPREME Members Posts: 2,462
    I switched to a more sbsf stroke about 2 years ago when I switched the grip after watching playing lessons from the pro's daniel chopra.
    JDM TMade SLDR set @ 11.5* w/Speeder 757
    Adams Tour LS 15* w/DI7x
    Adams Tour LS 19* w/DI8x & 23* 9031
    Adams MB2 5-GW w/Black Nickle KBS Tour S
    Machine M6 Inspirer
    50*/54*/58* Satin Puglielli wedge kbs tourS
    WITB Link
  • nosilnosil Members Posts: 792 ✭✭
    hebron1427 wrote:

Just curious what most people here are using, or if there's a consensus either way. if you do know, please let me know how/when you found out and whether you use a putter with "appropriate" toe hang.

I selected other. I have a slightly open stance so the stroke appears to be down the line going back and then inside. Basically an arc that has been turned to the left becuase of the stance.

I believe toe hang is a byproduct of the correct putter setup. Offset and where the shaft would intersect the face are more important design considerations when selecting a putter.
  • dgreleckidgrelecki Members Posts: 939
    Istl- Surprising too, until I met with a guru I didn't know how common this was, that it was my natural stroke, or that MANY great putters do it.
    Cobra Bio Cell+ with Matrix White Tie
    Tour Edge Exotics xcg7 4 wood
    Ping G Series 5-PW with Nippon Modus 3
    Cleveland 588 Forged 46*\53*/58
    Ping Anser Milled
  • pappaf2pappaf2 Members Posts: 3,471 ✭✭
    I have an arc stroke. I knew that is what I had but the ping app confirmed this. I putt currently with an anser putter but I am planning on getting a mallet or something more face balanced. After messing with a bunch of putters in different stores lately I've noticed that I feel more apt to want to manipulate the putter face when using a blade putter as compared to the mallet / face balanced putters I tried. That seems totally backward compared to how it is supposed to be with an arced stroke though, isn't it?
  • Kevie RayKevie Ray Members Posts: 189
    SBST

Ping Scottsdale "Half Pipe" face balanced
    pappaf2 wrote:

I have an arc stroke. I knew that is what I had but the ping app confirmed this. I putt currently with an anser putter but I am planning on getting a mallet or something more face balanced. After messing with a bunch of putters in different stores lately I've noticed that I feel more apt to want to manipulate the putter face when using a blade putter as compared to the mallet / face balanced putters I tried. That seems totally backward compared to how it is supposed to be with an arced stroke though, isn't it?

Yup... seems backward, but it makes perfect sense. Defending on the specifics of ones stroke, the toe weighted blades enable one to feel the toe and compliment the arc by swinging the toe back to square after opening in the backstroke. You're feeling the toe and reacting to it.

Try something with less toe hang or even slight toe hang and see how that feels. It all depends on the strength of your arc and how you feel the putter face.
  • craz-ecraz-e Members Posts: 4,062 ✭✭
    Strong arc for me, playing a 8802 head shape.

A few years a go I was a straight back-straight thru guy but switched to a more natural (for me anyway) stroke. Kind of did it unintentional but love how my putting is a lot less mechanical and relaxed.
    Driver = Ping G410 Plus even flow black 6.0
    5 Wood = Taylormade Burner

Irons = Miura 1957 Baby Blades Project X LZ 6.0 (4-PW)
    Wilson Staff FG59 DG S300's (4-PW)
    Titleist 718 MB Project X LZ 6.0 (4-PW)
    Wedges = Titleist Vokey SM6 52*, 56* and 60*

= Taylormade 64* Hi-Toe
    Putter = Wilson Staff 8882
    Ball = Titleist AVX
  • kellygreenkellygreen Members Posts: 6,413
    hebron1427 wrote:

thanks.

Strong arc when I'm putting conventionally.

SBST when putting left-hand low.
    PIng G25 8.5/Fuji MS 7.2 TS X
    Ping Rapture 13*/Fuji MS 7.2 TS X
    Ping G25 19*/Fuji MS 7.2 TS X
    Ping S55 (3-PW)/ PX 6.5
    Ping Tour Gorge 54* and 60*
    Odyssey 2-ball Versa, 34"
  • ScaldyScaldy Professional Putter Poser Members Posts: 517 ✭✭
    SBST for many years. Started reading a few golf books and forum stuff and switched to an Arc with an Anser style putter.... for now image/smile.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />
  • PingG10guyPingG10guy Members Posts: 4,057
    Bettinardi BB26, arc stroke.

I think the grip is more important than anything. If I get that wrong then I cant hit putts pure so distance control goes bye bye

• rustyputterguyrustyputterguy Members Posts: 1,210
    How about slight arc? I like to think about as square to the plane, which appears as a slight arc.
    Callaway RAZR Fit 9.5
    Titleist 909F3 15.5
    Nike VR-S Covert Tour #3
    Mizuno MP-59
    Miura Black Wedge Series 52,56,60
    Bettinardi Kuchar Model 2
  • ScooterMcTavishScooterMcTavish Staying away from thrift stores.... Members Posts: 2,688 ✭✭
    SBST - putting improved when I learned not to use a "proper" Ping Anser style putter though I always loved the aesthetic.

First FB putter was a Bettinardi A-02 which improved my putting by quite a bit. After having distance control issues, I've dragged an old Slotline Inertial almost FB putter out of the garage (tiny bit of toe hang) and it seems to be working so far.
    Titleist 909D2, 9.5*, JAVLNFX M7
    Titleist 909F2, 15.5*, "For Titleist" Blueboard
    Titleist 909H, 21*, "For Titleist" Blueboard
    Titleist 755 4-P, GAT 95
    MacGregor Jeff Sheets 52* GW
    MacGregor Jeff Sheets 56* SW
    Titleist Vokey Oil Can 60* LW
    Odyssey White Ice Sabertooth
    WITB Link
    Current set photo here!
  • chickenpotpiechickenpotpie #TeamJetSpeed Members Posts: 8,538 ✭✭
    SBST, but I know the face is opening and closing some during the stroke. Actually prefer my putter to be just slightly not face balanced for this reason.
    Member of TMAG #TeamJetspeed 2013
    WITB Link
  • bellabella Members Posts: 37
    arc stroke, left eye dominant...tried dozens and ended up with a scotty 2010 del mar seems to be a perfect match..

• scotchbladescotchblade Members Posts: 2,385
    I don't understand SBST.

How does one, if standing to the side of the ball as we do (creating an inclined angle), avoid the natural arcing that would occur while taking his stroke?

Wouldn't attempting SBST be unnatural and therefore manipulation?

I see the diagram in the Pelz book of his definition of SBST, showing the putter face perpendicular to the intended line at all times and wonder how this would even be possible, unless you had a perfectly vertical shaft.

Swinging gate for me, because it is natural and I don't think about it.
  • jcigarsjcigars Members Posts: 2,194 ✭✭

The less I think about the better off I am. Swinging gate for me also.

Bettinardi BB5 with a stubby plumbers neck.

Jimmy
    jcigars wrote:

The less I think about the better off I am. Swinging gate for me also.

+2. SBST always seemed unnatural to me. you either have ot manipulate your hands or turn your shoulders in a way that does not rotate aroudn your spine. i dont have any idea why someone would wnat to do this.
    Even a gated stroke doesn't rotate around the spine, and is a very similar bio mechanic motion to the perceived SBST. The rotation around the spine is more relevant to the full swing. There's a reason the putting motion is commonly referred to as rocking the shoulders and not rotating back and through...
  • atlanta golferatlanta golfer Members Posts: 3,598
    Swinging gate for me (with the belly!) and this feels more natural for sure. Just a shorter version of the same path I use for every other club in the bag. I use the same grip also! (interlock)
    indyvai wrote:

Even a gated stroke doesn't rotate around the spine, and is a very similar bio mechanic motion to the perceived SBST. The rotation around the spine is more relevant to the full swing. There's a reason the putting motion is commonly referred to as rocking the shoulders and not rotating back and through...

disagree. my shoulders rotate around my spine when putting. SBST requires a "rocking" that actually compresses the spine. very unnatural.
  • MrSlippery519MrSlippery519 Members Posts: 14
    edited Aug 9, 2012 #30
    Slight arc for me, using a Newport 2 notchback which is close to heel balanced. Seems like a perfect fit at the moment
  • chickenpotpiechickenpotpie #TeamJetSpeed Members Posts: 8,538 ✭✭
    hebron1427 wrote:

indyvai wrote:

disagree. my shoulders rotate around my spine when putting. SBST requires a "rocking" that actually compresses the spine. very unnatural.

Feels natural to me. Not sure what is so difficult or forced about a pendulum motion? But I'm also not trying to force the face to be square to the target the whole time either. I think there is some rotation no matter how hard you try not to have any.
    Member of TMAG #TeamJetspeed 2013
    WITB Link