CHAT TIME! CALLAWAY & TRUE TEMPER Monday 2-3PM EDT

Comments

• edaddyedaddy Members Posts: 64
    For True Temper,

your shaftfit.com is a great tool. I am in between a Project X Blak 6.0 and 6.5. (when I change my average drive distance 4 yards it bumps me up to 6.5). If i am close, do you recommend going with the less stiff shaft? My miss is a hook.

Thanks!
  • JPNC1977JPNC1977 Members Posts: 529 ✭✭
    What effect, if any, is there on the Project X black if I were to butt trim by one inch as the driver playing at 45.5 is a little long for me?
  • knudson81knudson81 My WITB is $100 but my swing is $.50 Marshals, Media Staffer Posts: 3,110 mod
    Chad, I love the PX Black I am currently playing in my standard Razr fit (might need a TA!). Are we going to see more development in the graphite iron shafts arena? I play graphite in every club other than my putter due to a bad shoulder and there aren't too many options out there currently.
    Make sure to follow Two Guys Talking Golf!

Instagram + Twitter + iTunes + SoundCloud

tg2_badgeV2_125.jpg
  • tripl3tripl3 Members Posts: 44
    Why didn't Callaway include the adjustment for loft on the new Razr Fit TA? Or is that not much of a factor when adjusting face angle on your driver?

Also, with the heavier swing weight, are the performance characteristics of the Project X Black affected as compared to what they would be with a lighter swing weight?
  • LegacyUserLegacyUser Guests Posts: 0
    edaddy wrote:

Is it true that only 6000 of the RF TAs were produced? If so how would that compare with a standard production line of say teh Razr Hawk last year?

[size="2"]While the number is not 6,000, there were a limited number ofthe RAZR Fit TA Drivers created and the total number is small in comparison tothe number of standard RAZR Fit Drivers we will sell.[/size]

[size="2"]Jason[/size]

jim2722 wrote:

Callaway has, in my mind, always led the industry in cutting edge technology. Last year, Callaway came out with the razr driver and worked with lamborgini to have a driver using different metals and composites. That driver was much longer then others and most companies went to adjustable drivers. Now Callaway have the adjustability with the distance. Is Callaway working on another cutting edge technology?

Thank you, we are always working on new technologies to make the game easier and more enjoyable to play. It's what we do and what we will continue to do.

[color="#0000FF"]Luke[/color]

• TrueTemperTrueTemper Sponsors Posts: 1,237 ✭✭
    edaddy wrote:

For True Temper,

your shaftfit.com is a great tool. I am in between a Project X Blak 6.0 and 6.5. (when I change my average drive distance 4 yards it bumps me up to 6.5). If i am close, do you recommend going with the less stiff shaft? My miss is a hook.

Thanks!

One thing we've definitely found in our years of testing is that most are playing shafts that are too stiff for them. Perhaps it's an ego thing or misinformation, but regardless we always recommend going a little bit softer in flex. You'll find that the shaft is working more for you than you are for it...if that makes sense. Think you'll love the 6.0 flex. Enjoy!
    WI Don's Bag Dr- EvenFlow Blue, FWs- HZRDUS Red Hy- EvenFlow Blue, Irons- Prototypes

Which actual parts of the head or sole makes the RAZR fit 27% more aerodynamic than the RAZR hawk?

I’dlike to tell you, but I don’t want to tell our competitors. Clubheadaerodynamics is a very complex area of research, we spend a lot of time andeffort in this area to help you maximize your clubhead speed, ball speed anddistance.

Luke

Great to see Callaway making a big comeback of sorts with the new equipment offerings this year, love the new wedges and razr fit !

My question is this will callaway ever start to go deeper into the tour style offerings , like say the TP line for TM. I think a lot of guys on here

would love to see callaway come up with a solid tour line with a new logo and custom options stamping etc shafts different weights. Thanks

We’vedone some Tour Authentic products in the past and will continue to offer themas and when they make sense. The reception to this driver has been reallypositive especially among real enthusiasts so we will certainly look foropportunities to do more of this in the future.

Luke

We have five minutes remaining on this chat and will get to as many questions as we can. We will review the thread and try and answer as many of the great questions you submitted as we can after the chat is over as well. Thanks

Jason and Luke

joshn08 wrote:

Thanks for taking these questions.

What I want to know is why was the color green chosen for the Tour Authentic instead of blue or another color?

Will there be any other shafts to choose when ordering the driver?

We have had this color around for a while in our design area and everyonereally liked it, we wanted a color that would really pop and we wanted a colorthat was unique from what we are offering though udesign.

Youcan custom order this driver with any of our aftermarket offerings though I amsure Chad would wonder why you would.

Luke

knudson81 wrote:

Chad, I love the PX Black I am currently playing in my standard Razr fit (might need a TA!). Are we going to see more development in the graphite iron shafts arena? I play graphite in every club other than my putter due to a bad shoulder and there aren't too many options out there currently.

The difficulty with us creating high end aftermarket graphite iron shafts is that the cost makes them so cost prohibitive. Ultimately that leads to a very small market that doesn't justify the significant time/cost to develop a full set of graphite iron shafts. That said, if you like PX Black we do offer the original Project X graphite in an iron version and it is outstanding. Not sure if you've checked them out or not, but you might want to give them a look!
    WI Don's Bag Dr- EvenFlow Blue, FWs- HZRDUS Red Hy- EvenFlow Blue, Irons- Prototypes
    RedSide wrote:

Will the new RAZR be offered in a low enough loft (7.5* or less) for a stronger player?

8.5is the lowest loft we offer we have found that even on Tour there just isn’tmuch demand for loft lower than that. We’ve got some of the longest hitters onthe world Tours in Quiros and Holmes and even they don’t need less loft.

Luke

JPNC1977 wrote:

What effect, if any, is there on the Project X black if I were to butt trim by one inch as the driver playing at 45.5 is a little long for me?

Since you are only butt cutting the shaft the tip will perform the same as it would at longer lengths.

Your club head speed will drop but you will make better contact more often which will improve your overall results.
    Guch wrote:

What was the reasoning behind the adjustable weights giving a neutral or draw bias instead of a fade with all the weight in the toe or draw with all the weight in the heel? Callaway used to offer a fade bias in there flagship drivers but has since disappeared completely.

Whenwe offered Fade biased drivers no one bought them and even on Tour they wereused in very rare cases. Most people that want to hit a fade or avoid a hook dowell with a Neutral weighting and open face. I’m one of those guys, I used toplay our Fade drivers and I have a RAZR Fit set up with an open face andneutral weighting and it’s better than any Fade driver I ever played.

Luke

tripl3 wrote:

Why didn't Callaway include the adjustment for loft on the new Razr Fit TA? Or is that not much of a factor when adjusting face angle on your driver?

Also, with the heavier swing weight, are the performance characteristics of the Project X Black affected as compared to what they would be with a lighter swing weight?

At both retail and on Tour swing weights in the D-5 range are becoming more common place so we design with this kind of swing weight in mind.
    My2Dogs wrote:

Will the Tour Authentic Razr Fit at some time have custom color choices for the heads as the Razr Fit Drivers now? I think allowing the Tour Authentic Razr Fit Driver would really enhanse the trend of customizing clubs and would sell great.

Thanks.

RAZR Fit will only be available in this one color scheme.

Luke

amackey10 wrote:

How does the "Forged Composite" face of the RAZR fit help increase the ball speed/lower spin? Also, how are these faces manufactured?

The face is not ForgedComposite just the crown, the face is Titanium.

Luke

Composite crowns was a big innovation in the ability to move significant amounts of discretionary weight around a clubhead to optimize launch and spin, while keeping headweight the same as it has been. More recently, adjustability has been the big innovation in driver technology. You all have combined both on the Razr Fit, and the Fit TA. Where do you see the next big innovation in driver technology coming from? (Face material changes, etc.?)

Stillnot biting.

Luke

Hey everyone. Looks like our time is up. THANKS so much for your questions. I know the Callaway guys are finishing up with a few more posts, but we'll look forward to doing this again in the near future. Good luck to everyone with the giveaway!!

Chad
    Guch wrote:

What was the reasoning behind the adjustable weights giving a neutral or draw bias instead of a fade with all the weight in the toe or draw with all the weight in the heel? Callaway used to offer a fade bias in there flagship drivers but has since disappeared completely.

When we offered Fade biaseddrivers no one bought them and even on Tour they were used in very rare cases.Most people that want to hit a fade or avoid a hook do well with a Neutralweighting and open face. I’m one of those guys, I used to play our Fade driversand I have a RAZR Fit set up with an open face and neutral weighting and it’sbetter than any Fade driver I ever played.

Luke

• RJDRJD Members Posts: 523
    What lofts will the Razr Fit TA be offered in for lefties? Also, any hints as to whether Callaway will be updating the Razr X Muscleback irons line - it seems that most of your PGA Tour staffers are playing them and love them?
    913D AD BB 6s
    913 Fd 15 & 18 Blue S+ 82
    Cobra S3 Pro
    Vokey 52, 56, 60k
    Ping Milled Anser

Does Callaway plan to introduce a new face design in the future or is the plan to continue featuring the hyperbolic 'x' driver face?

Ourlatest face design is our Speed Frame Face which combines the benefits of ourolder VFT and Hyperbolic faces and yes we will introduce new face technologiesas we develop them it’s what we do, we’re always working to make better golfclubs.

Luke

• RLL33RLL33 ClubWRX Posts: 264
    I use a lot of Callaway products that I've bought on your shopCallaway site online. The site keeps getting better and better, but I do have one request or suggestion. Could you allow for the selection of many of these custom shafts when ordering clubs? i.e., I use the DG Spinner in my Jaws wedges, but I can't order this shaft from you -- I have to get custom installed somewhere at greater cost... Thanks for all the great new products this year.
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]
    [font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif]_________________________________[/font]
    [font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif]Epon AF-153 / TRPX M1st[/font]
    [font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif]Ryoma 2017 F5[/font]
    [font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif]A-Grind CMB2 DI / Crazy STP[/font]
    [font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif]Miura HB3 18 / ProjX[/font]
    [font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif]Seven MCB 5-AW[/font]
    [/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]
    [font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif]A-Grind 56-onset / NS WV105[/font]
    [font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif]Cally forged copper 64 / DGspin[/font]
    [font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif]Seven Benock Pantaleone [/font]
    [/font]
    JerryMB1 wrote:

The phrase "Tour Authenic" Does this mean the the retail models are really being used on tour, or are they related cousins? what was behind using that prase? or is it like slapping tour on the head, and winking and grinning.

Byusing the term Tour Authentic what we are trying to convey is that these arethe drivers and the technologies that are available on Tour. Tour players havehad the dual cog and extra weights available to them since we launched RAZR Fitso that it why you won’t see a big switch to drivers with these graphics, theyalready have the functionality available to them in the original look.

Luke

MSUFanatic wrote:

When Phil smashes the new RAZR Fit at Dick's how come his ball comes up short of the hole? You think going through all those walls the ball would at least roll in right?

Thatputting green wasn’t flat, Phil thought it was.

Luke

Callaway and True Temper,

I am a huge fan of the razrfit and now the ta version as well, I was wondering however, why the razrfit was not available with an x-stiff shaft as an option. I found many people who loved the feel of the stock shaft but just needed something a little stiffer to bring them to the optimal numbers.

We felt that most players that need an X tend to gravitate towardsaftermarket shafts anyway so RAZR Fit does have X-Stiff options several ofwhich are no upcharge.

Luke

And for true temperwhen is the pxi going to become an available custom option. I get many questions about it, but its hard to fit for a shaft not yet available.

Thank you,

Dean A. Wensel

• edaddyedaddy Members Posts: 64

JerryMB1 wrote:

The phrase "Tour Authenic" Does this mean the the retail models are really being used on tour, or are they related cousins? what was behind using that prase? or is it like slapping tour on the head, and winking and grinning.

[color="blue"][size="2"]Byusing the term Tour Authentic what we are trying to convey is that these arethe drivers and the technologies that are available on Tour. Tour players havehad the dual cog and extra weights available to them since we launched RAZR Fitso that it why you won't see a big switch to drivers with these graphics, theyalready have the functionality available to them in the original look. [/size][/color]

[color="blue"][size="2"]Luke[/size][/color]

We kudos to Callaway, because I love the look of the TA. The black finish is so nice and the lack of an alignment aid on top gives the whole package a clean, stealth look. Great job.
  • WVPWVP Members Posts: 2,897 ✭✭

is76550 wrote:

Mr Williams what do you believe will be Callaways next break through technology? You have had many advancements from the original Big Berthas to the new RAZR Fit with adjustable weights, a super light crown, and adjustable shaft technology. I am curious to know where the next breakthrough will come from. Thank you for your time.

Mr Hall, I am a huge fan of the Project X graphite shafts ( was using an early prototype until I lent it to my brother in as and I haven't seen it since). My question is it yours or True Tempers philosophy that lighter is better? There are a lot of manufacturers who are going to very light shafts I was hoping forward to your opinons on these ultra light shafts and their effect on distance and accuracy. Thank you for your time as well.

To GolfWRX thanks for the giveaway and forputting this all together.

[color="blue"][size="2"]Isthis Mark King again? I'm not biting. [/size][/color]

Hahaha....

Callaway BB Fusion – 9°
    Tour Edge CB5 – 16.5°
    Mizuno JPX 825 – 22°
    PING G30 – 5-UW
    Cleveland CBX – 54°
    Taylormade EF – 60° ATV
    Taylormade Juno
    bosox4509 wrote:

Thanks for taking some questions.

Any chance we will see the Razor FIT in an 8.5 degree loft for us lefties?

As a lefty do I need to get a special left-handed adaptor for the Razor FIT, or can I use the right-handed adapter and just realize it will be backwards?

As you probably know as a lefty, we offer a big range of lefthanded product, but we won’t be offering a left handed 8.5 in RAZR Fit.

We do make left handed hosel assemblies, you can tell them apart because theletters are outlined instead of solid. You can use a shaft with the righthanded hosel assembly in a left handed head and as you say the affect will just be reversed.

Luke