The ballad of Jimmy Ballard...

Golf's most underrated teacher?
My journey towards learning how to properly swing a golf club has introduced me to all kinds of stuff. I have attempted to understand books from many of the most well known teachers and players. The norm for me is that I get a pearl or two from each book, dvd, etc.. but I never find an entire blueprint to go by that I can believe in or perform. I also have several 'training' aids in my garage collecting dust. I have a shelf full of books and dvds in my office. Golf is truly inundated with snake oil.

Last week I spent two days down in Atlanta with Jim Grant at The Standard Club. Jim worked under Jimmy Ballard for years and teaches his connected golf swing as it is called. My intention originally was to attend Jimmy's 3 day golf school in Key Largo, Florida. He lives there and does about a half dozen schools each summer. Unfortunately, I was not able to make that trip. My research and contact with Jimmy Ballard and his wife led me to Jim Grant, long time friend and disciple of Jimmy Ballard.

So I am driving down I-85 last Tuesday morning. Wondering what (if anything) I will learn in the next two days. Worried that I have spent another grand on nothing substantial. Questioning my decision but at the same time holding on to the hope that this will be the real "aha" moment. As it turns out, I stuck gold. Every aspect of this trip was unreal. The facility was as nice as any I had seen and Jim was a breath of fresh air. He smiled, explained fallacies of the golf swing, and told fascinating stories about his days on the PGA tour. The whole time he just kept rolling balls out in front of me on the range offering a tiny suggestion or feeling that would help me out.

During the two days, he taught me the basics of Jimmy Ballard's swing principles. I drove home with a new outlook on golf and 15 pages of notes in a notebook. There is not one phase written down that I don't understand. A first in my pursuit of golf proficiency. If I miss, I know what caused it. If I hit a perfect shot, I know what caused it. If I push the ball, I know one of two reasons for my doing so. For a lack of better terminology, I feel empowered. In contrast, every other lesson I had ended in me riding home with my head spinning trying to remember what I was taught and wondering how I would be able to process and hold on to the information.

A few years back I bought Bobby Clampett's book, "The Impact Zone". Until getting Jimmy Ballard's book and dvd recently, "The Impact Zone" was the book that had the biggest impact (pun intended) on my golf swing. Cliff notes for the yellow book some say, his book was (and still is) very valuable to me. I even bought the yellow book, but couldn't understand it. In the end, I can say I agree with many of TGM principles, I just can't digest or employ the material. Unfortunately, my experience doesn't seem that rare.

I even dabbled in S&T recently. More specifically a hitting pattern that blended components of S&T with TGM principles. At 6'6" 300 lbs, I had a very hard time physically doing what was asked of me. My instructor, local, was fantastic. And to his credit, when I did what he asked of me, I made very solid and consistent contact. But in the end, low back pain forced me to abandon the swing. I am sure S&T will work for many, but for me, it just wasn't meant to be.

In contrast, reading Jimmy's book and watching his one hour dvd is more like having a beer with a friend. Casual conversation, loaded with facts, pictures, and references to all the greats in the game. Much reference (and reverence) is given to Ben Hogan. It is a very simple approach to something I have admittingly made harder than it needed to be. A basic athletic motion with a few (7) key concepts. None of which seem contrived or require super human flexibility, timing, or athleticism. My main obstacle is simply undoing all the damage I have done to my golf swing before hearing of Jimmy Ballard.

Interestingly enough, all this originates with Babe Ruth of all people. A tip (hankerchief under left arm) he gave a team mate (Sam Byrd) who later won 25 events on the PGA tour after retiring from baseball. The same guy that helped Ben Hogan. He taught it to Jimmy way back when and it gave birth to Jimmy Ballard as a teacher. We likely would have never heard of Curtis Strange or Hal Sutton had Sam Byrd not taught Jimmy Ballard what Babe Ruth taught him way back when. A fascinating story, truly. But as I said, most importantly, it just makes sense.

My time with Jimmy's swing principles has been brief and I hesitated to make this post to be honest. But in the two weeks since seeing the dvd and only six days since spending time with Jim Grant, my golf swing has already changed. I still have not read the book in it's entirety. I am 39 years old and have been playing golf on some level of consistency since I was in high school. I have hit shots in the last week that I never thought possible. The contact is more solid, I am one club longer, and the trajectory is higher. For the first time, I am consistently getting out of bunkers. My driver is finding the fairway more than usual. Golf is not rocket science I am finding out. The odd thing, I feel like I am doing less, not more, to facilitate this.

I started this thread to see if anyone else has benefited from Jimmy Ballard's teachings. Also, thought it would be good to make other struggling golfers aware of someone that the golf community in general has not acknowledged as much as would seem deserved. To make a very long story short, some of Jimmy's principles defy what is commonly taught by the PGA and it's stable of highly qualified instructors. Being that the average handicap has not been lowered in recent decades, I find this to be more of a reason to see what Jimmy has to offer, not the other way around.

Very interesting article below about Jimmy Ballard for anyone interested....

http://www.departure...f-jimmy-ballard

-Dan

Congrats on finding a methodology that works for you. I went Ballard in '84-'85 and while it isn't my only swing thought, it has served me well. It will be a good foundation for the rest of your life. The book is timeless and I read it from time to time.

Ping G400 9º TFC 419 Stiff at 45"

Jazz 3 wd Powercoil Stiff
Rogue 3iron Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
X2 Hot 4-AW Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
Vokey SM2 52º cc, SM4 56°, SM4 60°
Ping Sigma2 Valor at 34.75"
MCC Align Midsize

Dan

I am very excited to see the progress if the journey you have started on with the connected swing. It will be fun watching during our regular rounds together how much the swing progresses.

One of the main reasons this intrests me is as like you I have always had a hard time understanding what some teachers teach. Now this is not a knock on their method as they are the teacher for a reason but sometimes I find myself thinking why dont people just swing the D*** club. I am going to be watching closly and as usual will have many questions during our rounds on how the swing works and why etc.

I made a commitment this season to become more consistant and as you know I recently had my motivation derailed a bit. However one of the main things that got my motivation level back up was seeing just how much you are putting into the connected swing and the results you have had thus far. It was kind of like my aha moment there is a method that can be understood. Now that method for me may or may not be the connected swing but I sure am going to find out.

Thanks for the replies fellas. drinks.gif

Golf swing changes are not easy and I am under no false illusion that it will be. Example of such happened today at the range. Hit a bucket of balls and something was off. I questioned that it could be muscle fatigue. Can't remember the last day I have not hit balls, often more than once a day. Just a terrible feeling and shots were flying right, shanks, topped a few, etc.. It was directly at this time I texted my buddy above and told him I couldn't play Wednesday. I was too embarrassed to tell him why.

On the 35 minute ride home, head hung low and wife too scared to ask any questions, it occurred to me that I was not firing my right side. This is a huge proponent of the Jimmy Ballard swing. Reason was simple, I could not coil onto a braced right leg, then fire from right foot/knee to initiate the downswing due to wearing crocs. If anyone remembers seeing Gary Player step out of a shot, rear foot going towards target after impact, this is where he got it.

For some reason I thought since I was just taking 2/3 power swings with PW and 7 iron it wouldn't matter. Bad weather was coming in and I had rushed to the range, hopped out of the car, and skipped putting my golf shoes on. On the ride home I stopped by a golf course and hit another bucket of balls in the wind driven rain. Tornado touched down nearby I later found out. Golfers were scattering like rats as I bashed ball after ball through the rain and well over the 150 flag I normally hit my 7 iron to. Started to feel like the old man that lightning struck in Caddy Shack.

And like him, soaked from head to toe and sticking my middle finger up at mother nature's fury, I had my moment. Shots were flying high and straight and a few were the best iron shots of my life. Felt like I couldn't miss, then shanked one. For whatever the reason, all I could do is smile. Humility and golf go hand in hand it appears. But I did find some redemption from my first range session in a pair of size 16 Footjoys. Tomorrow will be a better day. And if not, my trials and tribulations today will better prepare me to deal with it.

-Dan

[quote name='danattherock' timestamp='1337003446' post='4910748']
My journey towards learning how to properly swing a golf club has introduced me to all kinds of stuff.

I started this thread to see if anyone else has benefited from Jimmy Ballard's teachings. Also, thought it would be good to make other struggling golfers aware of someone that the golf community in general has not acknowledged as much as would seem deserved. To make a very long story short, some of Jimmy's principles defy what is commonly taught by the PGA and it's stable of highly qualified instructors. Being that the average handicap has not been lowered in recent decades, I find this to be more of a reason to see what Jimmy has to offer, not the other way around.

Very interesting article below about Jimmy Ballard for anyone interested....

[url="http://www.departures.com/articles/ballad-of-jimmy-ballard"]http://www.departures.com/articles/ballad-of-jimmy-ballard[/url]

-Dan
[/quote]

25 years of golf, at age 48 I now got a swing not the Ballard one but nonetheless, a working one.
Never to late.

Knows the secret to the golf swing to own it.
300+ yards and 4% dispersion for unmatched accuracy
Golf God

Dan:

You seem to be on the right track. Just remember that Ballard teaches a holistic method for swinging the club. That means that any problem you encounter is the result of not doing what Ballard teaches well enough. Your solution is within the system, something you have already been taught. You have already discovered that when you remembered to fire your right side and saw immediate improvement.

I encourage you to continue in the Ballard system forsaking all others until you master what he teaches. In other words, never try to fix a Ballard swing by adding a dash or something else.

Steve

[quote name='juststeve' timestamp='1337090812' post='4917746']
Dan:

You seem to be on the right track. Just remember that Ballard teaches a holistic method for swinging the club. That means that any problem you encounter is the result of not doing what Ballard teaches well enough. Your solution is within the system, something you have already been taught. You have already discovered that when you remembered to fire your right side and saw immediate improvement.

I encourage you to continue in the Ballard system forsaking all others until you master what he teaches. In other words, never try to fix a Ballard swing by adding a dash or something else.

Steve
[/quote]

What great advice! Can you or anybody define what is meant by "firing the right side" in Ballard's teachings. Thanks.

Love Jimmy and work with one of his diciple's at my club.

Fire the right side. Left arm/pit connection. LOVE ALL OF THAT

The only thing that I didn't agree with was the big sway to the right side, or at least that what I was being taught.

Jimmy's swing and staying a little more centered has gotten me from a 14 down to 3. And still averaging 36 putts/Rd.

Im sure if some young stud was with Jimmy he would get a lot more press, instead he has Rocco barefoot pitching the V-Harness at 3:30am :|

Something Rare
Something JDM
WITB Link

Thanks for the replies fellas. drinks.gif

Golf swing changes are not easy and I am under no false illusion that it will be. Example of such happened today at the range. Hit a bucket of balls and something was off. I questioned that it could be muscle fatigue. Can't remember the last day I have not hit balls, often more than once a day. Just a terrible feeling and shots were flying right, shanks, topped a few, etc.. It was directly at this time I texted my buddy above and told him I couldn't play Wednesday. I was too embarrassed to tell him why.

On the 35 minute ride home, head hung low and wife too scared to ask any questions, it occurred to me that I was not firing my right side. This is a huge proponent of the Jimmy Ballard swing. Reason was simple, I could not coil onto a braced right leg, then fire from right foot/knee to initiate the downswing due to wearing crocs. If anyone remembers seeing Gary Player step out of a shot, rear foot going towards target after impact, this is where he got it.

For some reason I thought since I was just taking 2/3 power swings with PW and 7 iron it wouldn't matter. Bad weather was coming in and I had rushed to the range, hopped out of the car, and skipped putting my golf shoes on. On the ride home I stopped by a golf course and hit another bucket of balls in the wind driven rain. Tornado touched down nearby I later found out. Golfers were scattering like rats as I bashed ball after ball through the rain and well over the 150 flag I normally hit my 7 iron to. Started to feel like the old man that lightning struck in Caddy Shack.

And like him, soaked from head to toe and sticking my middle finger up at mother nature's fury, I had my moment. Shots were flying high and straight and a few were the best iron shots of my life. Felt like I couldn't miss, then shanked one. For whatever the reason, all I could do is smile. Humility and golf go hand in hand it appears. But I did find some redemption from my first range session in a pair of size 16 Footjoys. Tomorrow will be a better day. And if not, my trials and tribulations today will better prepare me to deal with it.

-Dan

As someone who also obsesses over the golf swing I had a good laugh at this.

SCOTTK

When I saw Jimmy Ballard in the mid 70's he was using a railroad track analogy. You set up on the near rail, the ball and the target line are the far rail. Firing the right side meant sending the right side down the far rail, from the ground up, foot, knee, leg, torso, shoulder and arm until you reach a straight balanced finish on the left leg.

I worked with him a lot for about 6 months then abandoned his method and returned to what I had been taught by Manuel de la Torre. This wasn't because there is anything wrong with Jimmy Ballard but because I had decided to make Law my full time job and relegate golf to an avocation.

There is something interesting to learn from this. I can imagine no two methods that are as far apart as Manuel's and Ballard's but they both work if you do them right.

Steve

[quote name='juststeve' timestamp='1337090812' post='4917746']

Steve
[/quote]

Your advice is spot on as usual. Thanks for chiming in man.

In watching the Jimmy Ballard dvd and reading the book, it is obvious to me that you are right.

In my lessons with Jim Grant, he politely told me the same. Ignore everything I think I know about the golf swing and commit to the system.

There are only 7 parts, each very simple in their application. But if one aspect is off, all are off it seems.

A simple, but systematic approach from what I am seeing.

-Dan

[quote name='GoogleMe' timestamp='1337092009' post='4917854']
Im sure if some young stud was with Jimmy he would get a lot more press
[/quote]

I am sure you are right.

I personally would love to see Jimmy rejuvenate the career of Mike Weir.

Seems this former great ball striker and champion has lost his way in recent years.

Ain't no telling what Jimmy Ballard could do for him.

The one thing I do know, unlike other instructors that legitimize themselves by teaching top 20 players, Jimmy Ballard turned nobodys into house hold names. He didn't work with folks because they were famous, he made them famous. At the time he was working out of a driving range in some small town in Georgia, yet PGA names were going to see him. He didn't market himself, people went to him.

In contrast, Ledbetter started working with Faldo while he was number one (or close to it) in the world. Faldo made Ledbetter. Jimmy started working with Hal Sutton when he was 17. Jimmy worked with Curtis Strange and Curtis had not won an event before seeing Jimmy. Nor did he win after he stopped ten years later. Everything I read, learn, hear, etc.. tells me Jimmy is the real deal.

-Dan

Dan,

What are the 7 parts?

As another bigger guy the Ballard system intrigues me

Especially since as of late I - ironically - have been working on
- a connected arm swing
- more body turn thru impact
- firm right knee and ankle

NOTE: there is a training device by IZZO (I believe) that lets you hits balls whilst keeping your biceps connected .. really helps me in times of trouble

My big pet peeve is not being able to self diagnose errors during the round, that must be magic

Ping G400 LST 11* Ventus Black TR 5x

Ping G400 3w 15.1* GD AD IZ 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x 

Ping G425 4h 22* Blueboard HY 80x

Ping i210 6i & s55 7i - PW Steelfiber 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*ES, Tour W 64* SF 125s

EvnRoll ER9

[quote name='GoogleMe' timestamp='1337092009' post='4917854']

The only thing that I didn't agree with was the big sway to the right side, or at least that what I was being taught.

[/quote]

I too was wary of this prior to learning more. Seems this was a sore spot for Jimmy. In my lesson with Jim Grant, he explained this in great detail. Meaning, people call it a sway, but it is not in the sense we think of. Jimmy addressed this nicely in his book and I can't do it justice paraphrasing. But basically, you are supposed to load your weight inside the instep of your right foot, much like a batter in baseball digging in slightly with the right foot. You coil and load weight onto a braced right leg, but never 'sway' or extend back beyond that invisible line going up from the right instep.

The basics for this as I see it, a golf swing should be like any other athletic motion. To hit the ball hard forward, you load weight on the back foot, much like swinging a baseball bat, then push off the right instep to initiate the downswing, all energy going forward. Some call it a sway and I get that. But it sure doesn't feel like a sway to me. Just now learning and addressing some of this stuff, but I feel powerful. I feel like I can kill the ball.

In the past I put weight back, turned, tried to keep left arm straight, pulled handle down with left etc.. There is one sentence in Jimmy's book that was particularly insightful. Basically saying modern golf instructors tell you to put 80% of your weight on your right foot, yet expect you to power the golf swing with the left side. Sounds idiotic to me at this point.

If I wanted to hit something hard, I wouldn't turn around oscillating hips, I would load weight on my back foot, raise my right arm up, and knock the crap out of it with my right side, my powerful side. Swinging a baseball bat. Chopping a tree with an axe. A boxer throwing a punch. So many real world examples support this. Why in the heck is golf any different? Perhaps it doesn't have to be.

The more I learn from Jimmy, the more I question everything I thought I knew about swinging a golf club. Perhaps there is a reason we keep hearing things like "golf is a game of opposites" and "golf is counter intuitive" and such. Watching Jimmy's dvd was an eye opening experience. I am excited to see where this takes me.

-Dan

[quote name='CARDY' timestamp='1337101821' post='4918970']
Dan,

What are the 7 parts?

[/quote]

[size="3"][b]Jimmy Ballard's 7 Basic Golf Fundamentals[/b]
[color="#555555"][b][i][u][color="#000080"]

[center]Jimmy Ballards[/center]
[center]"Seven Common Denominators" of all good swings.[/center]
[/color][/u][/i][i][u] [/u][/i]

[color="#000080"]The golfer must create a connection at the outset through a braced connected address position.[/color][/b][/color]
[color="#555555"][b] [/b][/color]
[color="#555555"][b][color="#000080"]The golfer must start the swing by taking the triangle and center away together.[/color][/b][/color]
[color="#555555"][b][color="#000080"]The golfer must coil the triangle and center behind the ball in the brace of the right leg.[/color][/b][/color]
[color="#555555"][b][color="#000080"]The golfer must reverse the club with the right foot and right knee to create the proper position at the top of the swing.[/color][/b][/color]
[color="#555555"][b][color="#000080"]The golfer must, after initiating the change of direction with the right foot and right knee, immediately release the right side and center, [url="http://awguthrie.wordpress.com/2006/02/09/jimmy-ballards-7-basic-golf-fundamentals/#"]insuring[/url]that the triangle returns to the original position squaring the club at impact.[/color][/b][/color]
[/size][color="#555555"][b][color="#000080"][size="3"]The golfer must, at waist high past the ball, have maintained the triangle with the belt buckle and the center facing toward the [url="http://awguthrie.wordpress.com/2006/02/09/jimmy-ballards-7-basic-golf-fundamentals/#"]target[/url].

[/size][i][size="3"]The golfer must [url="http://awguthrie.wordpress.com/2006/02/09/jimmy-ballards-7-basic-golf-fundamentals/#"]complete[/url] the swing with the knees, hips and shoulders level, and the weight entirely on the left side. The straight balanced finish is proof that connection has been preserved during the swing.
[/size]
[/i][/color][/b][/color]

Not a bad method but I've never been able to get beyond the whole 'don't rotate the forearms' part.

While early in my study of Jimmy Ballard's principles, I have found a number of occasions where some folks have misconstrued his information. Below is an excerpt from his book that discusses his thoughts on arms rotating and release. There are several pages on this and other subjects and upon reading his book, it certainly seems that somewhere down the line, people have taken his teachings out of context.

7204353900_c94f510511.jpg

7204354584_bd2142bb44.jpg

gators78:

Instead of don't rotate the forearms, try just keeping the left elbow pointing down.

Steve

That sounds familiarrolleyes.gif

In my two day lesson with Jim Grant last week, he told me to 'feel' like I was sticking my left thumb in my right ear at the top of my back swing and to 'feel' like I was sticking my left thumb in my left ear in the follow through.

-Dan

I honestly hope it works for you but, what is different about this and the 40 other systems you have made posts about before. I think you would do yourself a world of good to stick with one system instead of bouncing around like crazy. There is no magic pill and you need to make sure what ever direction you choose you stick with it long enough to make some real changes.

I am hitting balls every day and studying the results for hours afterwards.

I have a stack of golf books on my bed side with my Casio high speed camera on top.

Until recently, I was taking motrin like candy and putting hot packs on my shoulder at night.

Your 'magic pill' comment doesn't apply to me.

In 39 years, I have had a total of 9 golf lessons. 7 of which were in the last six months.

Your "40 systems" comment is inaccurate as well.

I agree about sticking with one system, one method, etc... There is not doubt you are right about that. (blind squirrel, nut).

Tried to learn more about TGM, it went over my head and I had no idea what I was doing.

Tried learning a hitting pattern with S&T components, but it caused back pain that had me taking Vicodin so I could hit balls.

After four months of that, I had to give it up.

Now I am working on Jimmy Ballard's connection swing.

That is what people do that want to improve, they keep working at it.

-Dan

I agree with that unfortunately.

Double spacing has nothing to do with tempered words.

You pick yours more carefully, I will do the same.

I have had many 'aha' moments, some more lasting than others.

I get excited when something is working. Guilty as charged.

I shot in the mid 90's for a decade, but have threatened to shoot in the 70's 3-4 times recently.

Shooting my all time low (81) twice, mid 80's often. I am improving clearly.

The difference in what I am learning now is that I actually understand it.

That alone gives me hope that it will be a significant change.

In the past, I often was left feeling like I borrowed a good swing, swing thought, etc.. But didn't ever own it.

-Dan

Glad you've found something that clicked for you. I do believe, however, you're throwing a teacher under the bus with the back pain caused by S&T comments. I'm not saying you didn't have or experience back pain, I'm simply saying there had to be something you were doing wrong. Again, I'm glad you have found a way to swing that you can execute, but in my case, it couldn't be more opposite of yours. S&T saved my back.