2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Benefits of a fatter grip. Do they help?

Geez

I find them to be better.
I recently found a mid size grip to be beneficial to my comfort and accuracy even though I measure for a standard size grip. The Lamkin crossline midsize has improved my shots and has allowed me to not grip as tight. I would have stiffness and pain in my hands by the end of a round with my old thin grips. Anybody else play oversize due to arthritis or tension in the hands?
Titleist TS2 KuroKage
Callaway Diablo Octane Tour 15*
Callaway Steelhead XR 5wd
Titleist 818h1 21*
Titleist 718 AP1 4-GW KBS C-taper lite
Titleist SM6 54* SW
Scotty Cameron Newport Fastback 2

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whatever grip lets you hit the ball best without injuring yourself is by definition the grip that fits you. Observe various people's hands some time then observe various golfer's way of gripping the club. Both hand size and gripping techique vary all over the place. That's why there's "fatter" and "thinner" and "standard" and "midsize" and "oversize" grips and so forth. Lots of people find a midsize or oversize fits them, whether because of arthritis or a funky way of gripping the club or just because they've got big old hands.

My hands are quite large but my fingers aren't very long. Some of the quickie rules of thumb (no pun intended) about grip size would put me in the midsize category. About a year after I started playing golf I started working with a teaching pro and one of the first things he did was point out I was "regripping" at the top of my backswing and never really getting a functional hold on the club. He basically said "I don't care what the ruler says or what your hands look like, you're never going to hit the ball with those fat grips". So I settled on .580" core Golf Pride grips on .600" butt shafts either plain or with one extra wrap (depends on the specific grip model) and they still look kind of small in my hands. But it works which is what counts.

Two things help your dilemma. Bigger grips and a bionic glove. My wife had this problem and I put bigger grips on and made her tommy two gloves with bionic gloves. She couldn't be happier. I went to bigger grips and love it as well! If you arent familiar with jumbo max grips check out te website and it will tell you benefits of bigger grips. Not sure I buy all the claims but hav seen the benefits of bigger grips

I don't use midsize grips, but I do have 4 layers of tape on my irons and 5 layers on my driver, 3 wood and hybrid.

Occasionally I suffer from "Bubba hands", and I find that a slightly thicker grip keeps my hands quieter at impact.

PXG 0811X Gen2 9deg Driver - AD-GP 7TX
PXG 0341X Gen2 15deg Fairway - AD-GP 8TX
PXG 0311X Gen2 1 DI - KBS Prototype Graphite 95X
PXG 0311X Gen2 3 DI - KBS Prototype Graphite 95X
PXG 0311T Gen2 4-PW - Dynamic Gold X7
PXG 0311T Sugar Daddy 51 - Dynamic Gold X7
PXG 0311T Sugar Daddy 56 - Dynamic Gold X7
PXG 0311T Zulu 61 - Dynamic Gold X7
PXG Brandon H - 34.5”
PXG Operator H - 34.5”
Toulon Indianapolis - 34.5”
PXG 50/50 Staff Bag
Bridgestone Tour B X

KaBoom Baby!

larger grips will slow down your ability close or square the club face at impact. So if you pull hook most of your shots a larger grip will slow your hands down. One negative is that your club face may be too open at impact and will result in blocking your shot. Also if you are older and suffer from arthritis, larger grips will lessen the tension while gripping the club.

I add two wraps of tape to all of my clubs to help with grip pressure and tension. IMHO it has helped significantly.

Titliest 917 D2 12*
Titliest 917 F2 16.5*
Titliest 818 H1 19*
Titliest 818 H1 25*
Titleist T100 6-PW
Vokey SM6 Raw 52* F & Low Bounce 58* K
Scotty Cameron Buttonback Newport

All grips are 2 wraps on the top and 4 on the bottom hand. I like my grips built up, but 4 on the top is too much for me. Plus the 4 on the bottom help to eliminate the taper which I like. No real reason I haven't switched to midsize, guess I just like the feel of the built up grips.

XR 16 9.5 Fubuki ZT
XR 16 15* PX 6.0
XHot Pro 3 hy PX 6.0
Callaway 09 X Forged 3i, 5-pw - PX 6.0
Callaway MD3 52*, 56*, 60* KBS Tour
Odyssey Vera B/W/B #7,
Ball -TM TP5X

[quote name='MarkFromTheUK' timestamp='1337610823' post='4950430']
I don't use midsize grips, but I do have 4 layers of tape on my irons and 5 layers on my driver, 3 wood and hybrid.

Occasionally I suffer from "Bubba hands", and I find that a slightly thicker grip keeps my hands quieter at impact.
[/quote]

Larger grips make it more difficult for the hands to rotate through at impact which is why they are good for people who hook the ball as they tend to keep their hands quieter. I have some buildup on my 60* L wedge to help me keep the face open on those delicate shots.

I use mid size with three extra wraps under my right hand. Started doing it last year and it pretty much took care of bad hooks. I do have to watch out with my driver to avoid pushes to the right if the club face does not close. FWIW, my normal swing is a draw that could turn into a hook very fast. Without extensive swing changes, switching to a larger grip has avoided hooking issues for a lot of my friends also. It also keeps the wrists less active on chips..
Another benefit of the larger grip, for me, was holding the grip with less tension. Come to think of it used to do the same thing with tennis racquets.

• 2 years later...

Will thicker grips make it more difficult to weaken my grip? I have discovered lately that I am closed at the top and coming in closed de-lofting the club. Partly due to swinging too flat.

To square up the face I am looking to weaken my grip and swing more upright. I have just changed all 13 grips to Ping Gold ID360 +1 tape, so with regards to grip weakening have I thickened my grips up too much? I have long fingers, so I need thicker than standard for sure.

XR16 Driver 11.5 Prolaunch Blue Axis reg spine aligned FLOed 45.25" 245y
Adams Speed Line Fast 12 Fairway 17 degrees stock Prolaunch Blue Speedcoat reg spine aligned FLOed 220y
Wilson19.5 Fybrid FY(fairway bridge) stock reg Prolaunch V2 spine aligned FLOed 200y
Adams Super Pro 23 Hybrid Stock Prolaunch Platinium reg spine aligned FLOed 190y
i25 Black Dot 4i-9i Z-Z65 1/2" Long(4-7i with bounce grind) 180-130y
i25 Black Dot UW weakened to 48 Z-Z65 1/2" Long 115y
TM TP 52-9(bent to 53) DG SL300(close match to Z-Z65) 1/2" long 100y
TM TP 58-10(bent to 59 bounce ground to 6) DG SL300(close match to Z-Z65) 1/4" long 85y
Evnroll ER5 370g Hatchback 34" No 30g counterweight 69 degrees Lie 4 Loft Winn Jumbo Lite Pistol 59g Grip Black Tone
All 13 grips GP MCC+4 Grey Logo hidden/down midsize +1 tape layer
Callaway Chrome Soft Ball White
Mizuno Skintite Glove

I went to midsize a while ago. Much easeir to hold on to. I cam from squash so a club club felt like i was holding a pencil. I also find it helps me weak my grip. Can't go wrong imo. Get one fitted to your 8 iron and see how it goes. It'll cost you less than £10 to see if you like it.

Cobra Amp Cell Pro
Titleist 913f
Mizuno MP54
Vokey 52/56
Odyssey #7 MXM Versa
WITB Link

My hands are quite large but my fingers aren't very long. Some of the quickie rules of thumb (no pun intended) about grip size would put me in the midsize category. About a year after I started playing golf I started working with a teaching pro and one of the first things he did was point out I was "regripping" at the top of my backswing and never really getting a functional hold on the club. He basically said "I don't care what the ruler says or what your hands look like, you're never going to hit the ball with those fat grips". So I settled on .580" core Golf Pride grips on .600" butt shafts either plain or with one extra wrap (depends on the specific grip model) and they still look kind of small in my hands. But it works which is what counts.

Agree with your instructor.
Smaller diameter is better.If we agree that the pressure points in the grip are the last three fingers of the lead hand, then smaller diameter ensures grip is in fingers and not in the palm. If you swing with lag and let the body turn square the clubface, then
the wrists have to be free hinges.

I need to feel the control of the club is in my lead hand pinkie. In order to do that I take a file to the butt of the grip, reducing the diameter of the butt, which in most grips is disproportionately larger than the rest of the grip. ( I use a cadet medium golf glove)
IMO, if you cant hold the club securely with only, your lead hand pinkie the grip is too large.
Lamkin standard, i line grips are an exception.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6GjV0F1eok#t=35

Its much easier to control a pencil than a baseball bat for precision?
My trail hand goes along for the ride, barely touching the grip, so it sits comfortably on top of the lead hand. Wouldnt that be better for those with arthritis?

[quote name='mikah' timestamp='1418393571' post='10582851']

Agree with your instructor.
Smaller diameter is better.If we agree that the pressure points in the grip are the last three fingers of the lead hand, then smaller diameter ensures grip is in fingers and not in the palm. If you swing with lag and let the body turn square the clubface, then
the wrists have to be free hinges.

I need to feel the control of the club is in my lead hand pinkie. In order to do that I take a file to the butt of the grip, reducing the diameter of the butt, which in most grips is disproportionately larger than the rest of the grip. ( I use a cadet medium golf glove)
IMO, if you cant hold the club securely with only, your lead hand pinkie the grip is too large.
Lamkin standard, i line grips are an exception.
[url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6GjV0F1eok#t=35"]https://www.youtube....6GjV0F1eok#t=35[/url]

My trail hand goes along for the ride, barely touching the grip, so it sits comfortably on top of the lead hand. Wouldnt that be better for those with arthritis?
[/quote]

Great insight. The proper grip size from top to bottom, including taper rate, is just as much about how exactly we place our hands on the club with where exactly the grip is placed...as it is about hand size.

For any given hand size, the generalization is that a more "palmsy" hand placement will be conducive to a larger grip size, whereas a placement that has the club more in the fingers will go well with a smaller grip size.

Just like you, I prefer grips with a smaller cap and top size, because it allows my pinkie finger to wrap around the grip further and also the other 2 fingers as well....contributing to more secure clamp control with the last 3 fingers of the top hand

[/quote]

That's because of the weight and MOI difference - not the diameter where it's held.

If you feel like you get more control and better feel with the smaller grip - that's great and you've made the best selection [u]for you[/u] for all the correct reasons. But it's really the fact that it feels more secure, not the fact that it's physically smaller, that is giving you the better control. Just don't assume your needs for feel are going to be the same for everyone.

As said it comes down to personal prefrence and hand size. Personally I switched to midsized grips with a couple extra wraps of tape at the suggestion of my instructor. I have big palms but not too long of fingers and I found I was being pinched on my lead hand where the butt of the club sits. The regular grips are skinny enough that it makes it so my skin sort of bunches up and I get pinched. I don't have that problem after switching to midsize grips as the lager butt end allows my skin to sit flat against the grip and not bunch up. The midsize grips are much more comfortable to hold for me.

[quote name='Stuart G.' timestamp='1418411224' post='10584199']
[/quote]

That's because of the weight and MOI difference - not the diameter where it's held.

If you feel like you get more control and better feel with the smaller grip - that's great and you've made the best selection [u]for you[/u] for all the correct reasons. But it's really the fact that it feels more secure, not the fact that it's physically smaller, that is giving you the better control. Just don't assume your needs for feel are going to be the same for everyone.
[/quote]

There is a physical size/diameter that is easier to hold securely with my pinkie.

It isnt a feel thing in my mind. Maybe more to do with size and strength of pinkie.

taking it to the extreme... i wouldnt be able to hold a baseball bat with only my pinkie.

If you can take a full swing (not full speed or power) gripping only your lead hand pinkie, the grip size is right.. IMO

[quote name='mikah' timestamp='1418412485' post='10584331']
There is a physical size/diameter that is easier to hold securely with my pinkie.
It isnt a feel thing in my mind.[b] Maybe more to do with size and strength of pinkie.[/b]
[/quote]

Yes as the feel relates to your physical abilities. It's true that the specific way you personally choose to physically sync and apply force from the hands to the grip is more a primary factor and the feel is more a secondary consequence of that match up. But I believe most do not think to that low level degree of what's actually happening with the hand mechanics. The relative feel and comfort of one particular grip size vs another will still be an accurate means to reflect the suitability of the grip size to the specific mechanics of the player.

[quote name='Stuart G.' timestamp='1418416771' post='10584723']
[quote name='mikah' timestamp='1418412485' post='10584331']
It isnt a feel thing in my mind.[b] Maybe more to do with size and strength of pinkie.[/b]
[/quote]

Yes as the feel relates to your physical abilities. It's true that the specific way you personally choose to physically sync and apply force from the hands to the grip is more a primary factor and the feel is more a secondary consequence of that match up. But I believe most do not think to that low level degree of what's actually happening with the hand mechanics. The relative feel and comfort of one particular grip size vs another will still be an accurate means to reflect the suitability of the grip size to the specific mechanics of the player.
[/quote]

I think your describing well, the difference players have with regard to their hands and feel.

My left pinkie is a clamp. Clamp on, good to go and totally ignore any sensations from the hands/fingers.

Any sensations from the hands once the DS begins takes too long to get to the brain for any conscious muscle manipulations, so I ignore those sensations.

Got to trust, Unconscious, 'feel'.

to do otherwise, such as have attention on co ordination of movements
will be less effective than attention directed to the desired movement effect.

[url="http://www.humankinetics.com/products/all-products/attention-and-motor-skill-learning"]http://www.humankinetics.com/products/all-products/attention-and-motor-skill-learning[/url]