Funny: More Camerons at top amateur events as % than PGA Tour

Raden44

Funny thing about the bags in the top amateur events: there are more expensive Camerons as % than on PGA tour events. Granted there are a lot of Camerons on tour, but you also see a ton of Odysseys (even amongst Titleist staffers like Stricker) and Webb Simpson uses an old Ping. Also appears a lot of pros are trying to copy Luke Donald's success with the Odyssey 7 (noticed a lot of them at the US Open). You also see a lot of TM putters, although that could be because they are paid by TM but you could also say some Titleist staffers are using Camerons because they are paid by Titleist. I know Cameron makes nice putters, but come on kids, don't be afraid to be a little different. It's almost like you need a Cameron for street cred at these events.

In case you are wondering, I've owned about a dozen Camerons but have gotten rid of all them as I have been super happy with the Ping Scottsdale Carefree since it came out. Back-up is Odyssey Black i 7, which i would probably love too if it wasn't for the Carefree.

My 12 year-old son is a 12 handicap who watches a lot of golf on TV, which means he watches a lot of Titleist commercials. He has never tried a Cameron putter that fits his size, but you can guess what kind of putter he wants. He has a Ping Wrx Ti putter, which is not exactly chopped liver.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='Thrillhouse' timestamp='1340340042' post='5146894']
Yup, the best amateurs in the world who can play with any putter they want are only using Scotty's because the cool kids are doing it.
[/quote]

No, these "best amateurs in the world" use Scotty's because they see pros doing it. Plus, they're brainwashed by commercials and they feel like unless they spend at least $300 on their putter, they might be using an inferior club

[quote name='Raden44' timestamp='1340340536' post='5146920']
Yup, the best amateurs in the world who can play with any putter they want are only using Scotty's because the cool kids are doing it.
[/quote]

No, these "best amateurs in the world" use Scotty's because they see pros doing it. Plus, they're brainwashed by commercials and they feel like unless they spend at least $300 on their putter, they might be using an inferior club
[/quote]

They aren't paying a dime for anything they use, Cameron or not. None (or very few) of those are of the $300 variety either.

[b]XHP 3-Deep (13)- 7.3X @ 43.5”
X-Forged UT (#3- 21)- DG X700
716MB (5-PW)- DG S400
Vokey (TVD SM7 RAW 52 & SM6 RAW 58)- DG S400
Cameron Napa California @ 34"[/b]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Yeah that must be it.

And like JW said they get whatever they want for free.

[quote name='J.W.' timestamp='1340340804' post='5146944']
[/quote]

[/quote]

They aren't paying a dime for anything they use, Cameron or not. None (or very few) of those are of the $300 variety either.
[/quote]

Naturally, my point is not that they actually have to spend the money but rather have to use a putter that's worth at least that much. BTW, I do think they have to pay something for the clubs they use or risk their amateur status, granted it's probably a fraction of retail.

I'm not going to nitpick the logistics of your posts like the other guys here, because I get your point. I know plenty of kids that are, like me, in college and don't have a whole lot of money to blow, have never owned a Cameron, and yet they go get one and then eat Ramen Noodles three times a day for a month. We also get people in the shop I work at, come in and try SCs, putt terribly with it, and scoff at my suggestion of trying some other putters (perhaps with a weight pattern that suits their stroke), even when I suggest other premium putters like the Ping Anser or the new Odyssey Tour Prototype.

They're definitely great putters, but they're also definitely not alone in that. Unfortunately, to many, it's just a shiny toy they need in their bag to prove their status, whether financially or as a golfer.

Callaway Mavrik Max 10.5* Driver
TaylorMade 2007 Burner 18* Fairway Wood
Titleist 816H1 23* Hybrid
Callaway Apex 19 Smoke Irons 5-PW
Callaway MD5 Jaws Wedges 50* 54* 58*
Callaway PM Grind 19 64* Wedge
Titleist Scotty Cameron California Series Fastback

No, these "best amateurs in the world" use Scotty's because they see pros doing it. Plus, they're [b]brainwashed[/b] by commercials and they feel like unless they spend at least $300 on their putter, they might be using an inferior club
[/quote]

These "commercials" must have strong subliminal messages.. :russian_roulette:

Monkey see, monkey do? And sure im an a**.

I am a statistic. At tons of AJGA events, I see the majority with Camerons (but ghosts are appearing more and more). I absolutely first bought my Cameron because when I saw the best players at my club and on tv, they owned Camerons

Titleist 915 D2 9.5* Oban Devotion
Titleist 913fd 15* Diamana D+
Ping i25 19*
Titleist 714 AP2/MB KBS Tour (3-P)
Vokey 52F, TVD 58M
Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

[/quote]

[/quote]

TM runs more commercials than anyone so with your logic shouldn't they be playing a Ghost putter?

[quote name='coloradosprout' timestamp='1340342135' post='5147028']
[/quote]

[/quote]

TM runs more commercials than anyone so with your logic shouldn't they be playing a Ghost putter?
[/quote]

TM doesn't have the reputation for putters that Cameron now has. I might argue the same effect is in place for their drivers but it's nowhere near as strong as Cameron's putter.

[quote name='Raden44' timestamp='1340341330' post='5146980']
[quote name='J.W.' timestamp='1340340804' post='5146944']

[/quote]

[/quote]

Naturally, my point is not that they actually have to spend the money but rather have to use a putter that's worth at least that much. BTW, I do think they have to pay something for the clubs they use or risk their amateur status, granted it's probably a fraction of retail.
[/quote]

Nope amateurs are allowed to accept a certain number of free clubs each year, and the NCAA players get equipment provided to them through their schools.

You can read all about it in the USGA's rules of amateur status.

Don't let the facts get in the way of a good story though LOL!

[quote/]
Nope amateurs are allowed to accept a certain number of free clubs each year, and the NCAA players get equipment provided to them through their schools.

[/quote]

It doesn't change or contradict my main point of this topic, although you seemed to try to apply some hopeful logic.

[quote name='Raden44' timestamp='1340343223' post='5147120']
[quote/]

[/quote]

It doesn't change or contradict my main point of this topic, although you seemed to try to apply some hopeful logic.
[/quote]

Your main point is that top amateurs are paying $300 for putters because they bought into commercials. Despite the fact that:

1) these amateurs are not paying for their putters and have access to any putter they want for free.

2) there are no Scotty Cameron commercials. There are titleist commercials, and sometimes you catch a glimpse of one of their putters, but no Scotty Cameron commercials.

You attempted a hate thread without knowing the facts. It didn't pan out. Lock it up.

[quote/]

[/quote]

[/quote]

You been around any of these kids or you just guessing based upon the actions of your 12 year old son? 12 handicap at that age is great by the way. A lot of these kids are fighting for spots on their own teams in college and would not use a putter that put them in a poor position to score. Not to mention exemptions into professional events and the chance to compete at the highest level. The ones I am around haven't a clue what this shaft or that shaft is worth, etc. The value of their equipment is lost although I'm sure some of them know. I think Cameron's connection goes far beyond the actual putter and its performance but the attention to detail his employees give to the players at a young age. Would you rather have someone walk up to you and offer you something you don't see every day stamped with your name, nick name, initials, school name with school colored paint fill or a white mallet pulled out of a plastic bag with a Winn grip on it that every guy at the local Muni has?

[b]XHP 3-Deep (13)- 7.3X @ 43.5”
X-Forged UT (#3- 21)- DG X700
716MB (5-PW)- DG S400
Vokey (TVD SM7 RAW 52 & SM6 RAW 58)- DG S400
Cameron Napa California @ 34"[/b]

[quote name='Thrillhouse' timestamp='1340343446' post='5147130']
[quote/]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Your main point is that top amateurs are paying $300 for putters because they bought into commercials. Despite the fact that:

1) these amateurs are not paying for their putters and have access to any putter they want for free.

2) there are no Scotty Cameron commercials. There are titleist commercials, and sometimes you catch a glimpse of one of their putters, but no Scotty Cameron commercials.

You attempted a hate thread without knowing the facts. It didn't pan out. Lock it up.
[/quote]

You missed the entire point. It's not that top amateurs have to pay $300 for putters, although I would say many of them feel like they have to use a $300+ putter. I didn't mention anything about Odyssey prototypes or custom Bettinardis. Try reading my original post again or read "Coozapalooza" or "nmanoles3" posts in this thread.

[quote name='Raden44' timestamp='1340343947' post='5147158']

You missed the entire point. It's not that top amateurs have to pay $300 for putters, although I would say many of them feel like they have to use a $300+ putter. I didn't mention anything about Odyssey prototypes or custom Bettinardis. Try reading my original post again or read "Coozapalooza" or "nmanoles3" posts in this thread.
[/quote]

Ive read your posts several times. You said top amateurs are paying $300 for their putters because they have been brainwashed by commercials and tour usage. You said the only players using Scotty's on tour are titleist staffers.

Now that I have disproven all those points as these am's don't pay for their clubs, there are no Scotty Cameron commercials, and tons of non staffers use Scotty Cameron's as well you want to change the subject from this being a failed Scotty Cameron hate thread to a "other putters are just as good" thread.

You're right, other putters are just as good, but that isn't the thread you started. You started a thread criticizing top amateurs for using Scotty Cameron's when you didn't have your facts straight.

[quote/]

You been around any of these kids or you just guessing based upon the actions of your 12 year old son? 12 handicap at that age is great by the way. A lot of these kids are fighting for spots on their own teams in college and would not use a putter that put them in a poor position to score. Not to mention exemptions into professional events and the chance to compete at the highest level. The ones I am around haven't a clue what this shaft or that shaft is worth, etc. The value of their equipment is lost although I'm sure some of them know. I think Cameron's connection goes far beyond the actual putter and its performance but the attention to detail his employees give to the players at a young age. Would you rather have someone walk up to you and offer you something you don't see every day stamped with your name, nick name, initials, school name with school colored paint fill or a white mallet pulled out of a plastic bag with a Winn grip on it that every guy at the local Muni has?
[/quote]

Don't get me wrong. I'm not a Cameron hater. What he and Titleist have done in creating an aspirational and loyal brand is almost "Applesque" I happened to be at a public course when they had the County's Private High School invitational golf tournament. What I could assume about those kids were (1) they were at least somewhat serious about golf, (2) most of them probably came from some level of affluence, (3) they WERE NOT getting their putters free from Titleist since their average scores were in the low 80s. And yet, I would guess (from what I saw) about 60% of them had Camerons.

[quote name='Thrillhouse' timestamp='1340344565' post='5147196']
[/quote]

Ive read your posts several times. You said top amateurs are paying $300 for their putters because they have been brainwashed by commercials and tour usage. You said the only players using Scotty's on tour are titleist staffers.

Now that I have disproven all those points as these am's don't pay for their clubs, there are no Scotty Cameron commercials, and tons of non staffers use Scotty Cameron's as well you want to change the subject from this being a failed Scotty Cameron hate thread to a "other putters are just as good" thread.

You're right, other putters are just as good, but that isn't the thread you started. You started a thread criticizing top amateurs for using Scotty Cameron's when you didn't have your facts straight.
[/quote]

Excerpt from original post (including original BOLD language)

"I know Cameron makes nice putters, [b]but come on kids, don't be afraid to be a little different[/b]. It's almost like you need a Cameron for street cred at these events."

[quote name='Raden44' timestamp='1340344891' post='5147206']
[quote/]

[/quote]

Don't get me wrong. I'm not a Cameron hater. What he and Titleist have done in creating an aspirational and loyal brand is almost "Applesque" I happened to be at a public course when they had the County's Private High School invitational golf tournament. What I could assume about those kids were (1) they were at least somewhat serious about golf, (2) most of them probably came from some level of affluence, (3) they WERE NOT getting their putters free from Titleist since their average scores were in the low 80s. And yet, I would guess (from what I saw) about 60% of them had Camerons.
[/quote]

The kids at your muni who shoot in the 80's are not the top amateurs in the country though. You can start a thread about that if you want but it doesn't fit in this one.

[quote name='Raden44' timestamp='1340345125' post='5147208']
[quote name='Thrillhouse' timestamp='1340344565' post='5147196']
[/quote]

[/quote]

Excerpt from original post (including original BOLD language)

"I know Cameron makes nice putters, [b]but come on kids, don't be afraid to be a little different[/b]. It's almost like you need a Cameron for street cred at these events."
[/quote]

I know, you started a thread criticizing top am's for using Scotty Cameron's and when challenged on that fact you made up a bunch of stuff that has been disproven so now you want to take one out of context sentence from a post of misguided falsehoods and present it as an argument. Debate doesn't work like that, you have to back up what you are saying with actual facts. You can't just keep yelling "That's not what I meant!" every time one of your points gets disproven.

[quote name='Thrillhouse' timestamp='1340345476' post='5147214']
[quote name='Raden44' timestamp='1340344891' post='5147206']
[quote/]
[/quote]

[/quote]

The kids at your muni who shoot in the 80's are not the top amateurs in the country though. You can start a thread about that if you want but it doesn't fit in this one.
[/quote]

WwwwwOW.

[quote name='Raden44' timestamp='1340345936' post='5147230']
[quote name='Thrillhouse' timestamp='1340345476' post='5147214']

[/quote]

WwwwwOW.
[/quote]

The correct answer to JW's inquisition was "no, I have never been around the top amateurs in the country" not "the private school kids in my town played my muni once and they used Scotty Cameron's the little devils!".

[quote name='Raden44' timestamp='1340346711' post='5147260']
[quote/]

The correct answer to JW's inquisition was "no, I have never been around the top amateurs in the country" not "the private school kids in my town played my muni once and they used Scotty Cameron's the little devils!".
[/quote]

Thrillhouse, your reading comprehension and logic is thrilling to behold.
[/quote]

You should have just admitted that you didn't know what you were talking about five posts ago. My reading comprehension is bang on as I have disproved the multiple falsehoods in your very own posts. And now that you have clearly been defeated in this debate rather than admit said defeat like a gentleman you choose to resort to childish insults.

It's sad really.

[quote name='Thrillhouse' timestamp='1340347018' post='5147268']
[quote name='Raden44' timestamp='1340346711' post='5147260']
[quote/]
[/quote]

Thrillhouse, your reading comprehension and logic is thrilling to behold.
[/quote]

You should have just admitted that you didn't know what you were talking about five posts ago. My reading comprehension is bang on as I have disproved the multiple falsehoods in your very own posts. And now that you have clearly been defeated in this debate rather than admit said defeat like a gentleman you choose to resort to childish insults.

It's sad really.
[/quote]

I don't know why but I'll try one last time to show you my obvious point "Do you really think all those top amateur college players had no brand or "favorite player emulation' biases when they chose to game their Cameron putters?"

Now I have to figure what I am going to have to do to get back the IQ points I lost in trying to understand your logic.

[quote name='Raden44' timestamp='1340347573' post='5147280']
[quote name='Thrillhouse' timestamp='1340347018' post='5147268']

It's sad really.
[/quote]

I don't know why but I'll try one last time to show you my obvious point "Do you really think all those top amateur college players had no brand or "favorite player emulation' biases when they chose to game their Cameron putters?"

Now I have to figure what I am going to have to do to get back the IQ points I lost in trying to understand your logic.
[/quote]

thats a good question, you should start a thread that asks it. this one doesnt.