Tommy Armour Silver Scot Blades

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have not hit them but I think they are some good looking clubs. www.proshopwarehouse.com has them for $199. GW, SW, and LW set for $69.

Cobra Fly-Z+ Aldila UST V2
Golfsmith Jetstream 3W UST V2
Titleist 915H 3 Diamana

Titleist 915H 4 Diamana
Ben Hogan Apex Edge Pro UST Recoil Dart
Titleist SM6 50F/54S/58S Aerotech SteelFiber
Cleveland HB 11S

SkyCaddie SX400

• 1 month later...

A friend of mine works for Nike and had me hit their blade irons. He knew I had been looking at Clevelnd's CG2s and wanted me to see the difference. I liked them to about the 8 iron when they begin to progressivley become cb. I tried a few others companies (mizuno, Hogan, Callaway, etc.) and then saw that Tommy Armour had come out with a forged blade. As someone that played 845 and 845Ti face armours, I checked then out.

The Silver Scot forged blade is the BEST IRON I HAVE EVER HIT! Who says a blade has to be hard to hit? My head pro was amazed. He asked to hit one and ended up hitting half a bag of balls.

The wedges in this set that are sold seperatley are good enough that my cleveland CG10s are sitting in the garage gathering dust.

I went from playing 845Ti face irons with s300 TT superlites that were 2" over to the new silver scot forged blade with standard length Rifle 6.0 and lost no distance (added a few yards actually), gained workability, d2 swingweight.

Top line is thin - it is a pretty club. You can bend these clubs around the moon if ya have to. Mucho workability!

As you can tell by my sig, I'm an Armour fan. Most people assume that Armour doesn't make good clubs since the 845's because they retro'd for awhile with the OS versions. However, Stadler won 2 years ago on the PGA and Senior PGA tour with Armours - one of only 2 men to ever do that in the same season.

Try em out, I bought both sets -the forged blades and forged CB and gave the CBs to my son.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I just played my second round with my TA Blades. Wow, what a great iron. I have always wanted a set of blades but really didn't want to spent $800+ on a set of irons, only to find them hard hit or that I didn't like them. I read the reviews on here and ended up buying my set from proshopwarehouse.com's ebay store.

I couldn't be happier with my purchase. First these irons are beautifull. They are very easy to hit and I love the ballance. The only thing I didn't like was the grips that came on them, but for the steal you can get these irons for you can go buy new grips. I regripped them with Winn Excel XF wraps over the week end and had them out again on Wednesday. I was firing my irons on the par 3's right at the stick with awesome consistency. I also like the feedback you get when you miss hit them, you can tell very easily how you missed.

If you are up in the air about blades, you will never have a better opportunity to get into a set for this price. Don't be intimidated by the claim of high launch angle. I am a very high hitter and these irons really didn't have an impact on my trajectory, in fact I think I hit my long irons lower with them.

WITB:

Driver: Nike Sasquatch 460 9* w/ ProForce V2 72gr stiff tipped 3/4"

Fairway: Calloway 2017 Steelhead XR Strong 4 wood

Irons: Wilson Staff Ci chrome 4-GW stiff

Wedges: Kirkland Signature 52*, 56*, 60*

Putter: Wilson Staff Balance Fit Kirk Currie III

• 4 weeks later...

I picked up a new LH 3-PW 6.0 Rifle set of the 2006 TA Silver Scot MB's on e-bay for $152.50 from pro shop warehouse, and I also got a set of the LH heads only 3-6, 8 at their website (www.proshopwarehouse.com) for $40 to do some shaft experimenting with. At this point in time, they still have a few sets available on e-bay, but I would guess they will all be gone very very soon.

• 3 weeks later...

The M silverbacks are in my bag now and the best blades or irons Ive ever played period. They are standard but seem to lie flat and degree or two which fits me perfect. I wish they still made them, I would buy a back up set when these are worn out.

COBRA BIO CELL+ (9.5*)-MATRIX 8Q3 STIFF
TITLEIST 585H (21*)-TTDG S300
COBRA FLY Z PRO (5-PW)-TTDG S300
TAYLOR MADE TP Z (56*)-TTDG S300
BETTINARDI BABY BEN -33"

• 2 weeks later...

I have a set of these with the 6.0 Rifle shafts...went to the range last Saturday and hit the 3 & 6 irons off the mats, and was smiling big after the first shot with the 6 iron...great trajectory and distance(170yds), no ballooning whatsoever, looked great on setup, nice soft forged feel, as smooth as butter at contact. Much more forgiveness than I had expected, and it was easy to shape shots...I just bought a second set today with 5.0 shafts and will compare. My only criticism would be on the grips which felt sort of greasy which I'm replacing with Lamkin Tour Black All Cords.

• 2 weeks later...
A friend of mine works for Nike and had me hit their blade irons. He knew I had been looking at Clevelnd's CG2s and wanted me to see the difference. I liked them to about the 8 iron when they begin to progressivley become cb. I tried a few others companies (mizuno, Hogan, Callaway, etc.) and then saw that Tommy Armour had come out with a forged blade. As someone that played 845 and 845Ti face armours, I checked then out.

The Silver Scot forged blade is the BEST IRON I HAVE EVER HIT! Who says a blade has to be hard to hit? My head pro was amazed. He asked to hit one and ended up hitting half a bag of balls.

The wedges in this set that are sold seperatley are good enough that my cleveland CG10s are sitting in the garage gathering dust.

I went from playing 845Ti face irons with s300 TT superlites that were 2" over to the new silver scot forged blade with standard length Rifle 6.0 and lost no distance (added a few yards actually), gained workability, d2 swingweight.

Top line is thin - it is a pretty club. You can bend these clubs around the moon if ya have to. Mucho workability!

As you can tell by my sig, I'm an Armour fan. Most people assume that Armour doesn't make good clubs since the 845's because they retro'd for awhile with the OS versions. However, Stadler won 2 years ago on the PGA and Senior PGA tour with Armours - one of only 2 men to ever do that in the same season.

Try em out, I bought both sets -the forged blades and forged CB and gave the CBs to my son.

I was absolutely amazed at these clubs!!! I could not believe the feeling when the ball came off the face! I have been playing cavity backed clubs (the same set) for about 9 years and decided, I think its time for some new irons, as everything else in my bag is new. I had been keeping an eye out on golf towns website in their special buy section for a good deal on some forged blades. Then I seen the Tommy MB's on for $268, I then called the store and buddy told me they actualy had them on for $200. After I cleaned the inside of my jeans I drove up to Toronto and scooped those in a hurry! As I have heard over and over blades are so hard to hit, I was scared playing them for the first time. Then when I played the first hole at the course I play at, I know my second shot is either a 5 to 7 iron depending how the first drive of the round was.... So I pull out my 7 iron and put it 12 feet from the flag, I was amazed at the precision and feeling you get from these clubs. It's the only blade I've hit but I can not see how there could be a better feeling iron out there! And they cost me $200!!!! I am still dumbfounded over these clubs. Just wanted to share my story about these, had to rant because they ARE THAT NICE!!! of a club.

Thanks

cheers, Marc

I can only add to the chorus on these. Wow,they are great in every way described. I am curious about the forgiveness and distance in these clubs. Does anyone have an idea why they work so well. I am a serial club buyer and have hit hundreds of game improvement clubs and these seem to work as well. Any thoughts??? :drinks:

• 5 weeks later...

Just received my set from Rock Bottom Golf today with Rifle 6.0 shafts for $148 (($150 -10% discount with code + shipping). Holy moly these are nice and feel great. I hit a high ball and always thought that the DGS300 were the best fit for me. The flighted Rifles actually hit the ball lower, HALLELUJA!!!! I checked the lofts and lies and they were almost all correct out of the box. The only thing that I didn't like is that they are so light (C9-D1 and I prefer D3) but some lead tape took care of that. I was thinking about buying another set just for the heck of it, and they have raised the listed price from $150 to $170. I give these blades an A.

• 4 weeks later...

Unfortunately TA got it all wrong with these irons, I´ve played the TA 845M Silverbacks for a couple of years now and I can´t understand how they could produce this poor looking forged blade as their follow-up to the nice 845M. They are alright to hit with but I think the curved topline on the 3-7 iron is annoying. I hope they will come up with a club that is as good looking as the 845M when they release their next line of forged blades. If not, I have to look elsewhere when I want to replace my 845Ms.

• 1 month later...

Hi! this is my first post (sorry about my bad english). I´ve buyed these irons in proshopwarehouse.com last monday and arrived me last thusday, yesterday I´ve played them for first time (the Christmas trophy of my golf club) and I only have one word to describe it: "awesome". This are my first blades (I was playing with the cleveland cg4 tour, and I´m afraid about the difficulty of the blades, lost of distance, etc. but after my first shot, 8 iron in one par 3 (137m uphill) that I usually played 9 iron: wow! beautiful draw to flighted over 5m past the green. then I returned to the same always club selection, and all was ok, I´ve not lost distance, and the feeling hitting the ball is completely different with this clubs. Only one thing that I don´t like (like you) the bad, bad grips (next week I´ll go to replacement). I buyed these irons like secondary set, to played them from time to time, but now I´m thinking to turn them in my first set.
Regards from Spain

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Kumabjorn' post='841818' date='Dec 30 2007, 02:03 AM']Hi all TA fans!

Just received a set of SilverScot CBs.
There are no serial number on the hosel.
Have I been screwed?[/quote]
Kumabjorn, No you have not been screwed. They don't have ser.#'s on the hosels. You got yourself a FINE set of sticks there!!! Enjoy!!!

[quote name='LBlack14' post='842882' date='Dec 30 2007, 11:21 PM']Kumabjorn, No you have not been screwed. They don't have ser.#'s on the hosels. You got yourself a FINE set of sticks there!!! Enjoy!!![/quote]
´
Pheeeww, that's a relief. I've taken them to the range and played one round with them. On the reange there seemed to be a more narrow dispersion than my old Tittys, don't know if its the Rifle shafts, new sharp grooves or a combination. I got an - to me at least - amazing deal on them. I guess they are going out of production.

I've played quite a few different sets in my life and this year, these stand out. Aesthetically and performance wise. I love the feel of this shaft also. Don't know about you, but I got mine for $100 shipped. Don't see em going anywhere anytime soon. Would LOVE to get ahold of a set of the MB's with the same shaft.

STOP THE INSANITY!

I now see that Titleist is getting ready to release their new blades for 2008. I am sure the price tag is going to be somewhere around 4 digits. I bought my new Tommy Armour M/B Blades for $120.

The T/A Blades for the money are just flat out TOP NOTCH! The offset is perfectly graduated. The Rifle shafts are exceptional! They stand up very nicely and don't show the wear of a typical forged club. The workability, playability and distance for a blade is as good as any $800 set I have ever tried. They are a beautiful iron. The only knock I have is the stock grips are not to my liking. No harm for me, as I am oversized and I end up changing out the stock grips anyway.
Give them a try!

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Tighthead' post='874475' date='Jan 21 2008, 01:04 AM']Is the PW 48 degrees? Does anyone know?[/quote]

The PW is 47 degrees. Here is a link with the specs on the clubs. Go all the way to the bottom of the page and it has the specs. for each club.

[url="http://store.platinumgalleria.com/tommy-armour-golf-silver-scot-forged-tour-blade-iron-set.html"]http://store.platinumgalleria.com/tommy-ar...e-iron-set.html[/url]

The only complaint I have about these clubs is the low bounce on them. As you can tell from the spec. sheet 3* bounce is the most bounce of any club with the 7 iron having 2* bounce. This has really been a problem with my swing, I usually take a very nice divot and these low bounce clubs have been making me dig way too deep lately.

Cobra LTD X LS 9.0 Fuji Atmos Black 6S

Cobra King LTD 14.5 Rogue Black 70S

Callaway Big Bertha II 5 wood RCH Firm

Taylormade 3 iron UDI Kuro Kage Black

Mizuno 921HM 5-GW 950GH Neo

Mizuno 923HM SW 

Mizuno 900HM Lw KBS C Taper Lite S

Scotty Cameron Pro Platinum Newport Two

• 2 weeks later...
Is the PW 48 degrees? Does anyone know?

The PW is 47 degrees. Here is a link with the specs on the clubs. Go all the way to the bottom of the page and it has the specs. for each club.

http://store.platinumgalleria.com/tommy-ar...e-iron-set.html

The only complaint I have about these clubs is the low bounce on them. As you can tell from the spec. sheet 3* bounce is the most bounce of any club with the 7 iron having 2* bounce. This has really been a problem with my swing, I usually take a very nice divot and these low bounce clubs have been making me dig way too deep lately.

Thanks. I just picked up a set for $73.01 on ebay.

The lofts are a little strong, so I will add bounce by gearing the lofts down.

Just happened acrossed this thread and can add my 2 cents; bought the TA Silver Scot MB blades 6.0 Rifles, on a impulse buy for $110, and would have paid much more, if I had it to do over again, after the first time out with them. As a matter of fact, I did do it over again for $2 more. I liked them so well I bought the CB Silver Scots for my son who loves them as well.

JonT - were they easy to bend? I notice you are # deg flat.

I had them bent by a local golf pro, no problems, and they fit me perfectly. I will say they were about 1 degree flat to standard compared to a few other brands of clubs such as ping when I got them. Also they are slighltly shorter about 37 5/8" compared to 37 3/4" for a 5 iron. These characteristics were not a problem for me as I am short (5'5"), however a taller person or one with a more upright swing probably should do a dynamic fitting (actually everyone should) and get the lies adjusted and in some cases (taller players) the shafts extended (especially if replacing the grips as many are doing anyway). For the price these are being offered for; adjusting lie, extensions, and new grips, if necessary to fit ones swing, still make them a great bargain.

One thing I didn't elaborate in my original post; as I am older (60), I had been losing distance and had tried several GI clubs with no success to regain some of the lost yardage. After buying these I am happy to say that I regained the yardage lost over the years (about 10 yards) and consistancy in distance which I attribute mostly to the Rifle shafts.

Jon

• 2 weeks later...

JUST FLAT OUT OUTSTANDING IRONS FOR THE MONEY!

Alert to LEFT HANDERS looking for these Tommy Armour Forged Muscle Back Blades.

As of 02/18/08 they are still in stock at Pro Shop Warehouse in the Left handed model with Rifle at 5.0 and 6.0. They are sold out of the right handed sets. I just purchased my second set (backup set) for only $140 with FREE shipping. I also snatched up a couple of new Mizuno MP-T forged wedges from Pro Shop Warehouse for only $59 each. Should compliment the set nicely.

For you RIGHT HANDERS out there, Rock Bottonm golf has the T/A Forged Muscle Back Gap wedge in a wedge flex for only 29.99. Better hurry!

• 3 weeks later...

Just impulsed these on ebay for $79 (LH). I figured I couldn't lose with the reviews I've read. I've played forged cavity backs since high school; Hogan Edge '92 and Hogan Apex Tour '04. I don't have many complaints for my Hogans, but finding a set of forged blades for $79 is too good to be true! I'll put these up against my Apex tours and write up a full report. Its going to be a few weeks as I am rehabing a shoulder injury (skiing).