Taylormade r7 SuperQuad

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
1 degree open is the TP version which is around 600.00. In the latest TGW catalog I got it listed the non TP version as 1 degree open ,this is incorrect,it is 1.5 degrees CLOSED.

And the lefty version of the non TP, looks like it is about 4* CLOSED :tongue: Anything to make the lower handicapper have to shell out huge bucks for the TP version... :D is up with that...

The Best Taylormade driver I have had! Solid feel and sound at impact. About 10 yards longer for me. The all black head makes the driver look like a 360 cc head. I have the regular version not the TP in 9.5 with the Reax stiff shaft. I passed on the TP because for whatever reason I hit this one further. It is an easy replacement for my R5 TP with the Diamana shaft. The club gives me total confidence when I'm standing on the tee box. I hope this helps....

I bought this club yesterday. I had no intention of buying a TM, but after trying to love the FT 5 and FT-i I could not deny that the Superquad had the best look, feel, and ball flight of any of them.

While I know performance trumps looks - I can't deny that playing a club that actually looks and sounds like a golf club is important to me. Not that I gave up anything in the performance area - but this club does look great!

I've got a TP shafted up with a whiteboard...it is a rocket launcher equipped with a target-lock mechanism.

Taylormade SIM2 MAX 9* AutoFlex 505xx 

Taylormade SIM 5 RIP X 85TX

Srixon ZX 20* Recoil 95X

Srixon ZX5 4-6 DGTI X100

Srixon ZX7 7-PW DGTI X100
Taylormade MG2 TW 52/56/60 S400 TI
Kevin Burns 9305LN LAGP One35

It's cheating. It's got to be. There's no way I'm just magically hitting the ball this long, this straight, and this consistant just by switching to this driver.

I've gone thru the G2, G5, Cobra HS9 X, Callaway X, Calllaway X tour, and then the Callaway Big Bertha 2007 only to try this one and be blown away.

It's all about the weight technology. The first setup I went with gave me my normal results: a few good ones, a few really good ones, a couple left, and my classic super high slices.

Shifted the weights and got high slice after high slice.

Quickly shifted again and got a nice low down the middle shot. Over and over. Added a little more weight in the back and got what I consider to be the perfect trajectory for a drive and would not slice!!!

I've always hit the ball too high on the drive. I got distance but absolutely no roll. My drive today at the range were just as long as ever but when they hit they bounced and bounced and bounced which I would asume meant they were still rolling forward.

I have never hit a driver this well in my life.

Cobra Bio Cell Pro
Cobra Bio Cell+ 3 wood
Mizuno MP-5 irons
Mizuno MP-R 54*, 60*
Odyssey White Ice 1

• 3 weeks later...

The best TM driver so far....

I've had the lot.... R360, R580, R510 TP, R5 TP, R7 425 and now the Superquad (my version is a tour proto, non TP but 1 degree open)... All my previous TM drivers have been in 10.5 loft, but I needed to come down to 9.5 in the Superquad, still get a powerfull launch but get a much better roll. The black head makes it look smaller, and insipres more confidence. My advice is try it, but try it with your favorite shaft (I use a Grafalloy Blue) This is longer than any other driver I've hit (inc, 905R and FT-5) and I can still work it, but choose not to, just set up the weights for a big draw and grip it and rip it.... I use the 3 wood for working tee shots if needed...

In comparison to the 905R and the FT-5, the 905R is a close 2nd to the Superquad, but I struggle to get the shaft feel just right with a borethru head.. The FT-5, I don't like the head shape, and got no roll, regardless of head/shaft combination...

I attended a demo day over the weekend and tried the TM SQ TP with Reax 65 and liked it so much I bought one. It is a little expensive but the ballflight was great, and I absolutely love the Reax 65g shaft. It is a high kickpoint and allows me to release smoothly through the ball and maintain ideal spin rate along with a boring trajectory.

My second choice was the Cleveland HiBore, but I could not seem to fin the exact head (Tour or Regular) with the ideal shaft.

Rob

• 3 weeks later...

Just got a 9.5* Tp version with the 75g Rombax shaft. Cut it down to 44.5" and have a +1/16" PING Dylagrip on there. Leading up to this driver, I have used: R510TP, R7TP, R5TP Tour. The r5 TP Tour had knocked the other two to eBay. The r5 is a 9.5* opened for face angle by 1* so it is really 8.5*. The only issue I had with the r5 is ball height. I hit the r5 very straight, but a tad low for my liking.

I had to spend some time dialing in the weights, but once I got them where I liked them, it was very easy to work the ball both ways and the ball flight was very nice. First drive on the course is on a tough par 5 that the fairway is about 75' above the tee, and the tee shot has to cross a creek and you are facing a 25' bank on the other side and then the hill goes up up and up.

I too fast on the way down and slam the first one into the bank :partytime2: Great start...

Tee it up again, with a lot less pressure. I outdrove my playing partners by 75+ yards and put it over a crossing cart path that is way out there. I had been there once before with a Great Big Bertha way back. Anyway, the club was on track from that point. It is not a magic wand, but it sure is easy to hit straight, but does not prevent you from working it one way or the other.

I thought that the black face would present a problem in club alignment sicne there was no contrast between the face and crown,but there was no problem with alignment. Overall it is a very nice stick. Compared to the original r7 TP, this club is a lot more stable with a lot more forgiveness on off center hits.

PXG Gen 5 0311 9º, Kai'li Blue, Titleist TSr3, 9º, Ventus Blue

Titleist TSr2, 15º fw, GD Tour AD IZ

Titleist TSr2, 20º fw, GD Tour AD IZ

Titleist TSi2, 21º Hy, GD Tour AD IZ

Titleist TSi2, 24º Hy, GD Tour AD IZ

Titleist T150 6-48º Tensei AV Blue AM2

Vokey SM9 54º, 60º, Tensei AV Blue AM2

L.A.B. Golf DF3, MEZZ.1 Max reg & Broom,  MEZZ.1, DF 2.1 Reg & Broom

No room to list Bench Warmers 🙂

Take the R7425, make it a little bigger, little more forgiving, little longer, just as workable, make it black and you have the Superquad.

I find it to be fairly high launching, if you are in between on which loft, look lower. Shafted with the Diamana 63 Blueboard it's plenty long and very accurate. When I'm swinging well, forget 3W, it's as accurate and workable as my 5wood. The face is slightly shut on the regular model I have but definitely not overly so. Most "regular" offerings from other companies are more shut. It's not a super forgiving club by any means, that's what the Burner is for.

I too find the Superquad to have a much higher launch than my previous 425TP. I just ordered an Axiv-V 7076 which is pretty low launch just to try and offset a bit to much height. Next stop will be a whiteboard IP.

Irons: 19' Cobra CB's
Drivers: Titleist TS3 & Cobra F9
Fairway: Titleist 917F2
Hybrid: A-Grind
2 iron: Ping Rapture
Wedges: Ping Gorge 2.0 Stealth's
Putter: Evnroll 9.1
Balls: ProV1

Well, I think I've finally found a proper replacement for my original R7. I've tried a bunch of other drivers over the past couple of years and had extended flirtations with a Ping G5, Cleveland Launcher and Cobra F Speed. I also tried all of the other R7 iterations from the 425 through the 460 and even the Draw but none felt as good as the original. I still don't know why I sold it.

The SuperQuad, however, feels as sweet as the R7 Quad, is more forgiving, and gives me the exact shot shape I want. I haven't hung one out to the right yet. It's no longer than the R7 (or any of the other drivers mentioned) but is more consistent. I still haven't decided whether to go shaft hoing.

Plus it looks sexy as heck.

Mavrik Fuji Pro

G410/Epic Flash/Fli Hi Hybrids/woods
PXG Gen3 irons
Cleveland wedges
Odyssey Rossie OG 

• 2 weeks later...

im thinking of getting the superquad, but was wondering if the black face on it wears off, does it look bashed up after a couple of rounds? or does it still manage to keep that damn fine look it posesses. Im caught between this and the burner, anyone tried both? what did you think of the burner's launch angle compared to that of the superquads?

cheers in advance

EDIT: i hate this driver, its the devil of the new taylormade drivers. it looks soo dam good, but just didnt suit my game, and i really didnt make a connection with it, whereas the burner, was amazing, and i can't complain at all about it....The superquad does try to tempt you in with its class looks, but the burner is better for those who just love seeing that ball land an absolute mile away, the superquad, it leaves alot to be desired for those players, and so would comfort the players who prefer to see their ball fly beautifully through the air with a high draw

• 2 weeks later...

I didn't have a good experience with the Superquad TP. I went from an FT-5 tour to that, and I lost about 15 yds. It looks great no doubt, but it really lacks the distance. Tried the Burner TP and love that, but the Superquad didn't cut it. It seemed "dead" to me. I hit my 425 TP longer than I did the Superquad. It'll be up for sale soon!

Nothing is safe in my bag!

• 1 month later...

Be under no illusions, the TP is average. Whilst its not bad, the shaft is nothiong special and the weights provided do not match up to the Configurater on the web site, so you have to buy more to experiment. I had 2 x 12 g, 1 x 10 g, 1 x 14 g and 2 x 1 g. Useless. Also the weights become loose and rattle around when you are down the range ! Distance is ok but I did not add yards. Better to get a Ping G5 / Titleist head, a graffalloy bimatrix ( or Proforce V2 ) shaft and a lamkin grip. I have a proforce 3 wood shaft in my Ping 3 wood club head and it is straighter, longer and consistant

I have a left hand 10.5 stiff TP and mine is for sale if anyone wants one.

Simon

• 3 weeks later...

I briefly tried a Superquad TP, 8.5, with the stock ReAx Rombax 75 Stiff shaft. It's an absolutely beautiful club, but it just didn't click with my swing. Probably a bad shaft for me, I suspect. I just couldn't control it- I play a draw with every club, but this was hooking wildly on me. I really wanted to love it, but I just didn't. I'm a big believer in the fact that a driver either works great right from the start, or it never will.

I'll go back to my original r7 TP 8.5, with stiff Diamana BlueBoard.

D - Ping G430 LST 9-degree, Kai'li 60S
3W - Ping G400 Stretch 13-degree, Alta 65S

5W - Ping G425 17.5-degree, Alta 65S
Hy - Ping G400 22-degree, Alta 70S
5-U - Ping i230, Aerotech Steelfiber i95
54- Ping Glide Pro Forged
59- Ping Glide Pro Forged Eye toe
P - Scotty Cameron Teryllium T22 Fastback 1.5

• 2 weeks later...

Best R7 to date. I've had everyone since they came out with the original. Most recently went from the R7 425 with a Diamana Red to what I'm playing now, the Superquad TP. The OEM shaft launches the ball a mile in the air with a relatively boring ball flight. I went with an Ozik TP-7 and fell in love. A much more penetrating ball flight and the load of the shaft is amazing. Back to the club head. No more distance then my previous 425, but much more forgiving and not so much effort to hit. I would recommend without hesitation, especially if your a Taylormade fan.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
im thinking of getting the superquad, but was wondering if the black face on it wears off, does it look bashed up after a couple of rounds? or does it still manage to keep that damn fine look it posesses. Im caught between this and the burner, anyone tried both? what did you think of the burner's launch angle compared to that of the superquads?

cheers in advance

EDIT: i hate this driver, its the devil of the new taylormade drivers. it looks soo dam good, but just didnt suit my game, and i really didnt make a connection with it, whereas the burner, was amazing, and i can't complain at all about it....The superquad does try to tempt you in with its class looks, but the burner is better for those who just love seeing that ball land an absolute mile away, the superquad, it leaves alot to be desired for those players, and so would comfort the players who prefer to see their ball fly beautifully through the air with a high draw

I have both a superquad and burner 9.5 stiff shaft. Both are great but the Burner is ni the bag because of more consistent ball flight and longer. The face on the Superquad stays great but the sole does show some scratches in the black paint over time. Club looks great but doesn't perform quite as well as the burner. ;)

• 4 weeks later...