Top Connecticut Private Clubs???

dartboss04

I've played my fair share of public courses in CT, but am branching out to the private clubs. I have the opportunity to play quite a few through a traveling men's club, but I have to pick and choose. Without leading anyone with the names, I'm just looking for a list of must play private clubs in CT. I'm hoping to see some of those available to me on your favorites list. The exclusivity honestly is a bit offputting for me, but my need for quality golf and trumps that.

I've played a few already, but most during my HS golf days quite a few years back now...

TPC River Highlands

Lake of Isles (South)

Farmington CC

Wampanoag

Chippanee

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure if that's on the schedule, but I'll have to check it out. I'm playing Great Neck (formerly New London CC) in a couple weeks.

[quote name='geoangus' timestamp='1340726797' post='5170426']
I haven't played too many, but Black Hall in Old Lyme is darn nice. IIRC, it also hosted a few CT amateur championships.
[/quote]

I second the nod to Stonington CC. I had the privledge of playing it quite a few times when I was stationed at the Coast Guard Academy.
Other nice private clubs I have played include:
Indian Hill
Hop Meadow
Oronoque
Mill River
Glastonbury CC

I have not played any private courses south of Fairfield and would have to imagine they are phenomenal

The Farms in Wallingford is pretty good. A buddy of mine is a member there and I'm playing in his member guest in a few weeks. Two fairly different nines, but a very nice place. Friendly staff. Course is immaculate. Great food. Only downside is the driving range is nothing special.

Wallingford CC is great too. Great variations in holes and layout. Greens are always fantastic. And every time I get to play there I usually beat my host(Golow). No home course advantage. :rofl:

[b]Golfer | Clubfitter | Kayaker | Photographer[/b]

I'm from the southeast and I have played Stonington and New London CC (great neck) many times each.

IMO New London is a nice, interesting course but it is very short by today's standards and the main attraction was the conditions. The Super they had there until the buyout was one of the best I've seen (he spent a lot of time at Bethpage before taking the NL job). He could set that place up like you wouldn't believe, not coincidentally, very US-open style. I haven't played it since he left last fall but I can't imagine it would be quite as good, you should have an enjoyable round there regardless though.

Stonington CC is a better course IMO, the layout is superior and the conditions weren't far behind if at all even with the Super than NL had. Probably has some of the longest rough I have ever seen in a lot of spots on that course. Every hole is pretty interesting with the back nine having a lot of character and variety. Also not the longest by any means but they have lengthened it recently with some other major renovations and it protects itself much better than NL can. The greens are some of the purest I have putted on.

Ellington ridge is another I have played that I would love to play again. Black hall seems to be the cream of the crop in the southeast (along with LOI South); I had a chance to play it once but work got in the way. If you have played LOI North, you're not really missing anything by not playing the South, the North layout is superior for me and others I know that have played both.

Taylormade Stealth Plus (9) - Tensei 1K Pro Orange 60

Taylormade Stealth Plus (15) - Tensei 1K Pro Orange 70

Taylormade Stealth Plus (19) - Tensei 1K Pro Orange 80

Srixon Z945 3-PW - DG Tour X100

Taylormade MG3 54.11 - DG Tour S400

Taylormade MG3 60.08 - DG Tour S400

Scotty Cameron Studio Style NP2

Anyone play Yale? I am playing there in a couple of weeks.

Driver- Taylor Made SIM, Project X Hzrdus HC 6.0

3 wood- Mizuno STZ, Fujikura Motore X f3
Hybrid- Taylor Made SIM 2, Mitsubshi Tensei AV Blue 80
Irons- Mizuno JPX 921 SEL, KBS $ Taper

Wedges- Titleist SM8- 50, 54 & 58 
Putter- Bettinardi Innovai 6.0

Quinnatisset CC in Thompson, CT if you're in the northeast area is fun. Great condition, greens roll pure and often roll to a 13 especially around tournament times.
Front 9 is more open while the back is tighter as trees line each fairway. The rough is not very thick. The course's defense is the wind, quick greens, and tough location of pins.
Anyone can play 18 with a member for $50. I would say it is worth it especially at least once.

Cobra King F9 Speedback 9PX EvenFlow White T-1100 6.5-X 75g

Cobra King F9 Speedback Baffler Tour 4-5 17.5GD Tour AD TP-8x

Cobra King RAD Speed 21*  UST Mamiya Recoil ESX 480 F5

Callaway '09 X-Forged 4-5i  PX Flighted 6.0

Titleist 910H 27Oban Kiyoshi Purple 05 100
Cobra S3 Pro Forged CB/MB 6-PW  TT DG TI S400
Titleist Vokey Sm7 52/58*  TT DG S200
Bettinardi  '19 Queen B #6  35"

Titleist AVX/ProV1-V1x

[quote name='Smithj36' timestamp='1340982363' post='5189430']
Anyone play Yale? I am playing there in a couple of weeks.
[/quote]

Played Yale 2 weeks ago. The course is in good shape but the greens were a bit on the slow side. It's a tough course though. Lots of blind shots. It does have the largest greens I've ever seen in my life.

If you have the chance :

Hartford GC (great greens)
Wampanaoug GC ( Donald Ross; a CT classic) If I was living in the West Hartford area I would get a membership, I love this course.
Yale GC
Black Hall
Madison CC
Bulls Bridge
Torrington CC (2013 CT Open site)
Avon CC (3 nines, fun layout)
Brooklawn CC ( Gene Sarezen was the pro there for years)
Watertown CC

I have played all of these, in casual rounds and some tournament play.

Driver: Titleist TSi3 9.5* w/ UST Mamiya Chrome 6TF5 

3 Wood: Tour Edge CBX 119 16.5 w/ PX Evenflow Blue 6.5

Hybrid: Fourteen Prototype 2 iron Bent to 20* w/ UST Mamiya Proto 125 X

Irons: Fourteen FH1000 4-PW 1*Strong/1*Up w/ KBS $Taper S+ +1/2

GW: Fourteen RM12 - 50/10   w/ KBS $Taper S+ +1/2

SW:  Fourteen RM12 – 54.5/10.5   w/ KBS 610 130 +1/2

LW:  Fourteen RM12 - 59/9   w/ KBS 610 130 +1/2

Putter: Odyssey 1W Milled / EVNROLL ER2 @ 34”,4* & 71* w/ Ionmic Mid Size

Ball: Taking Applications For Open Position !!! 

Thanks for all the recommendations. I was able to play Wampanoag in high school and remember it being really nice, the greens especially.

I actually played Brooklawn in a charity outing probably 5 years ago now, but forgot to add that to the list.

[quote name='pccasstpro' timestamp='1341250988' post='5204846']
If you have the chance :

Hartford GC (great greens)
Wampanaoug GC ( Donald Ross; a CT classic) If I was living in the West Hartford area I would get a membership, I love this course.
Yale GC
Black Hall
Madison CC
Bulls Bridge
Torrington CC (2013 CT Open site)
Avon CC (3 nines, fun layout)
Brooklawn CC ( Gene Sarezen was the pro there for years)
Watertown CC

I have played all of these, in casual rounds and some tournament play.
[/quote]

[quote name='geoangus' timestamp='1340726797' post='5170426']
I haven't played too many, but Black Hall in Old Lyme is darn nice. IIRC, it also hosted a few CT amateur championships.
[/quote]

I played there last monday. Mint condition, a lot of dog legs and a lot of long par 4's. Very challenging golf course. You can miss pins by 5-10' and have yourself a long round.

G400 9* Motore Speeder 7.2 TS
G400 14.5* Ping Tour 70s
G400 17* Fuji Fuel 80s
iBlade 3-9 Nippon Modus 3 105x
Glide 2.0 STEALTH 46*, 52* 58*
Ping Vault 2.0 ZB

Yale is a great track, in my opinion. The greens are very demanding. Lots of forced carries and you need a well-placed tee shot. A real challenge.

I've been trying to play a few in the area as well in hopes of finding a course to join that won't leave me broke. I'm a Yale alumnus but now live in Fairfield, so Yale is a bit far for a home course. I played Oranoque and Mill River two weeks ago.

Oranoque was a decent course - tight but very manageable. The membership seemed more on the old side and the clubhouse leaves quite a bit to be desired.

Mill River is a very short course. I believe only like 6800 from the tips. I didn't think the course was in great shape. The bunkers looked like they hadn't been groomed since last season, and my pet peeve is finding rocks in bunkers. I only ended up in 1 bunker, mind you, so it might not be a fair sampling. The club-house is so-so, and they have a pool for the wife and kids and such.

For what its worth, Great River is easily playable - only semi-private - and is a beautiful course. Definitely one of my favorites in the area, other than the first hole (which is a par 3, they reversed the front and back 9). Similar to Lake of Isles in that respect, if I'm correct, which is also a great course.

Fairfield Country Club is a beautiful course, though I haven't played it. I haven't played CT Golf Club, Patterson, or Brooklawn but those are on my list... doubt I can afford them though!

Titleist TS3 9.5 Tour AD UB 6x
Titleist TS3 15 Tour AD DI 7x
Titleist 917 F2 18 Tour AD DI 8x or U500 3 AMT White
Titleist T100 4-9 AMT White
Vokey SM8 46.10F SM7 50.08F, 54.10S, 58.08F DG Tour Issue
Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless Newport 2 350gm

[quote name='Teetogreen86' timestamp='1340763687' post='5174496']
The Farms in Wallingford is pretty good. A buddy of mine is a member there and I'm playing in his member guest in a few weeks. Two fairly different nines, but a very nice place. Friendly staff. Course is immaculate. Great food. Only downside is the driving range is nothing special.

Wallingford CC is great too. Great variations in holes and layout. Greens are always fantastic. And every time I get to play there I usually beat my host(Golow). No home course advantage. :rofl:
[/quote]

Actually playing The Farms tomorrow. Excited based on your review of the course condition and staff.

Do you know if a non-member can enter the proshop? I like to buy logo balls (if they sell them) from the places I play.

[quote name='dartboss04' timestamp='1342707406' post='5308072']

[/quote]

Actually playing The Farms tomorrow. Excited based on your review of the course condition and staff.

Do you know if a non-member can enter the proshop? I like to buy logo balls (if they sell them) from the places I play.
[/quote]

The member/guest there the past weekend was great. They cut the greens low and rolled them each day. They were stupid fast, but I'm sure they heightened the mowers a bit after it was over. Non-members can enter the golf shop, I'm assuming even without a member as long as you are playing with one. They do take credit cards for greens fees, and I don't see why it would be different for merchandise. I don't think they use cash. I don't recall seeing logo balls there but I could be wrong. You'll probably find a lot of Member/Guest stamped ProV's in the woods though!

Do me a favor and blow up the front 9 Caddyshack style. :derisive: I cannot play well there, but always play well on the back. Enjoy it and let me know how it goes!

[quote name='Teetogreen86' timestamp='1342713417' post='5308870']

[/quote]

[/quote]

The member/guest there the past weekend was great. They cut the greens low and rolled them each day. They were stupid fast, but I'm sure they heightened the mowers a bit after it was over. Non-members can enter the golf shop, I'm assuming even without a member as long as you are playing with one. They do take credit cards for greens fees, and I don't see why it would be different for merchandise. I don't think they use cash. I don't recall seeing logo balls there but I could be wrong. You'll probably find a lot of Member/Guest stamped ProV's in the woods though!

Do me a favor and blow up the front 9 Caddyshack style. :derisive: I cannot play well there, but always play well on the back. Enjoy it and let me know how it goes!
[/quote]

Thanks for the tips. Yeah, I didn't think all private clubs would have logo balls as it seems more of a resort thing to do, but it's a cheap and small memento.

Ha. Will do.

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Kyle!!!!!!!!!! Your alive! I was just asking NoShortGame on 4GEA if he had talked to you recently, had this chat last week. Hope all is well.

Mike

Callaway B21 9* Diamana Kai'Li 70S (Callaway RFE 9* Diamana Kai'Li 70s backup)
RFE 16.5* 4 wood Diamana Kai'Li 80S
RFE 21.5* 7 wood UST V2 Tour 86gr
Apex 4/Apex Pro 5-PW H45 heads Aerotech i110
Callaway MD3 52-10/58-09 S Grind
Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5 2016

Instagram Link
https://www.instagram.com/michaelfrederickphotography/?hl=en
[twitter]BigDudeGuy72[/twitter]

[quote name='OrangeCrush' timestamp='1342738442' post='5311550']
Kyle!!!!!!!!!! Your alive! I was just asking NoShortGame on 4GEA if he had talked to you recently, had this chat last week. Hope all is well.

Mike
[/quote]

Hey Mike!

Still alive and kicking. We need to tee it up soon. My job moved me back to the shoreline area so I'm a little further away again but we can make something work. Shoot me a PM and let's see if we can work out a day to play. I'm off next Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday if any of those work for you.

[quote name='Teetogreen86' timestamp='1342739571' post='5311678']
[quote name='OrangeCrush' timestamp='1342738442' post='5311550']

Mike
[/quote]

Hey Mike!

Still alive and kicking. We need to tee it up soon. My job moved me back to the shoreline area so I'm a little further away again but we can make something work. Shoot me a PM and let's see if we can work out a day to play. I'm off next Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday if any of those work for you.
[/quote]

While I can't do next week, my buddy is playing in the NH open and I am hosting him at my house/going to watch him play. But after that I have lots of weekday time available. I am currently out of work so got nothing but weekday time as long as it's not one of my nights with the kids. We'll figure something out. You still got the same email address?

Callaway B21 9* Diamana Kai'Li 70S (Callaway RFE 9* Diamana Kai'Li 70s backup)
RFE 16.5* 4 wood Diamana Kai'Li 80S
RFE 21.5* 7 wood UST V2 Tour 86gr
Apex 4/Apex Pro 5-PW H45 heads Aerotech i110
Callaway MD3 52-10/58-09 S Grind
Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5 2016

Instagram Link
https://www.instagram.com/michaelfrederickphotography/?hl=en
[twitter]BigDudeGuy72[/twitter]

Consensus 3 best in Fairfield County are probably Stanwich, Wee Burn, and CC of Fairfield. Of the 3 have only played Stanwich...as advertised, well worth playing if you ever get the chance. Heard great things about Wee Burn as well. CC of Fairfield in a great setting, overlooking Soutport Harbor which many say make the course (vs the layout alone).

[quote name='dartboss04' timestamp='1342794640' post='5315200']
[/quote]

Rained out. The first 3/4 of the first hole were nice. Haha.
[/quote]

Bummer! Are you going back to play?

[quote name='Teetogreen86' timestamp='1342914301' post='5323668']
[quote name='dartboss04' timestamp='1342794640' post='5315200']
[/quote]

Rained out. The first 3/4 of the first hole were nice. Haha.
[/quote]

Bummer! Are you going back to play?
[/quote]

Yeah, in a couple weeks. I'm excited to putt those greens.

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='Teetogreen86' timestamp='1343162787' post='5344614']
I played there again today. The greens are still rolling great! A little slower, but not much. There were a few brown spots on a couple greens but the pins were no where near them. I can't believe I survived walking 18 in that heat!
[/quote]

Finally was able to play there. I enjoyed the course but had a tough day on the greens. They weren't so much faster than I've played recently, but there is a certainly quite a bit of slope and I just couldn't get the feel of the pace. I like the mixture of holes, long and short par 4's and 5's. Spicy orange chicken tenders in the clubhouse were good too. Haha.