2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Hunter Mahan closest thing to modern hogan?

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jason Dufner. A few weeks ago they did a side by side of Hogsn and Dufner. Nearly identical.

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5*
Callaway Mavrik MAX 15*
Taylor Made M4 19* & 22* hybrids
PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s 
Cleveland RTX 54* & 58*
Odyssey Stroke Lab Big Seven Toe Up vs MEZZ1 vs Seemore
Precision Pro Nx7 Pro, Garmin S60 (watch)

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1580770/recaps-the-taylormade-twistfaceexperience-7-golfwrx-members-visit-the-kingdom-for-an-exclusive-m3/p1

[quote name='Cwing' timestamp='1341110340' post='5196766']
Jason Dufner. A few weeks ago they did a side by side of Hogsn and Dufner. Nearly identical.
[/quote]

Dufner looks like Hogan a little at best from face on, but from DTL it's not even close IMO. Especially through impact which is the most important part. I bet Hogan turns over in his grave everytime someone says Duffner (or Jonathan Byrd) swing like him.

Hunter has a great swing, does he "own it" like Hogan?....not quite in that he is not quite as consistent...yet. are there nuances that are different...absolutly, especially his flat follow through and Hogan finished kind of high where as Hunter finishes really flat. But IMO Hunter has one of the best swings in golf today, it just seems the guys today that have great swings, seem to have shakey short games..e.g. Westwood etc. One thing people tend to forget is that Hogan had a really good short game, even putting early on, that is how he stayed on tour before he found his secret.

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

I don't think you would ever see Hogan cry...

_49367035_mahan_1024.jpg

Actually, jn, a very good friend of mine did witness this. He caddied for Tony Lema in the 1956 US Open at Oak Hill and found himself standing right next to Mr. H in the locker room after the final round. Mr. H had missed a 30" putt on 17 that would have put him in a playoff ... remember also how close he came in 1955 at Olympic.

My friend said Mr. H was sitting on a bench, elbows on thighs with his hands in his face. He had just survived 36 holes in grueling, humid +90 degree weather and was physically spent and bitterly dissappointed. When Mr. H sat up and raised his face out of his hands, my friend saw tears running down his face.

Probably just allergies ... right?

_49367035_mahan_1024.jpg

Actually, jn, a very good friend of mine did witness this. He caddied for Tony Lema in the 1956 US Open at Oak Hill and found himself standing right next to Mr. H in the locker room after the final round. Mr. H had missed a 30" putt on 17 that would have put him in a playoff ... remember also how close he came in 1955 at Olympic.

My friend said Mr. H was sitting on a bench, elbows on thighs with his hands in his face. He had just survived 36 holes in grueling, humid +90 degree weather and was physically spent and bitterly dissappointed. When Mr. H sat up and raised his face out of his hands, my friend saw tears running down his face.

Probably...

_49367035_mahan_1024.jpg

Probably...

It's well known hogan's tears cured cancer. To bad he never cried.

geoff jones(slicefixer) told me mahan has the best swing in golf right now, for what it's worth. Dufner isn't even close through impact.

Anyone catch in the second part of that video kostis mentioning mahan;s shoulders are square at impact? hopefully he meant square to some unkown magic angle, not the target line...

[quote name='tylerdurden' timestamp='1341155882' post='5198236']
[/quote]

Dufner looks like Hogan a little at best from face on, but from DTL it's not even close IMO. Especially through impact which is the most important part. I bet Hogan turns over in his grave everytime someone says Duffner (or Jonathan Byrd) swing like him.
[/quote]

The video breakdown they had a few weeks ago during coversge had them nearly identical at every angle.

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5*
Callaway Mavrik MAX 15*
Taylor Made M4 19* & 22* hybrids
PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s 
Cleveland RTX 54* & 58*
Odyssey Stroke Lab Big Seven Toe Up vs MEZZ1 vs Seemore
Precision Pro Nx7 Pro, Garmin S60 (watch)

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1580770/recaps-the-taylormade-twistfaceexperience-7-golfwrx-members-visit-the-kingdom-for-an-exclusive-m3/p1

[quote name='Cwing' timestamp='1341195707' post='5201504']
[quote name='tylerdurden' timestamp='1341155882' post='5198236']
[/quote]

[/quote]

The video breakdown they had a few weeks ago during coversge had them nearly identical at every angle.
[/quote]

You're missing a lot if you believe that. No offense. I know I'm still missing a lot too.

[quote name='hogangolf101' timestamp='1341186624' post='5200628']
[media=]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=twotkJRlOhY[/media]
[/quote]

I love Rock's swing too. But are you saying it's more Hogan than Hunters? His pivot has some big differences from Hogan's IMO. I think that explains why his release pattern is so different. Hunter is the only guy I see with as much leverage (as slicefixer defines it) as Hogan after impact. I don't even see slicefixer's guys with that much leverage (not that they don't have it, but I can't see it that well because he doesn't post that many videos from a clear angle, although from the target line looking back they never have as much).

[quote name='tofur99' timestamp='1341166934' post='5198950']
geoff jones(slicefixer) told me mahan has the best swing in golf right now, for what it's worth. Dufner isn't even close through impact.

Anyone catch in the second part of that video kostis mentioning mahan;s shoulders are square at impact? hopefully he meant square to some unkown magic angle, not the target line...
[/quote]

I typically hit the mute button immediately after hearing Kostis unless I feel like projectile vomiting all over my living room.

When did SF say that about Mahan? Good to know. Do you know what he thinks about Tigers new motion?

[quote name='tylerdurden' timestamp='1341200034' post='5201952']
[/quote]

I love Rock's swing too. But are you saying it's more Hogan than Hunters? His pivot has some big differences from Hogan's IMO. I think that explains why his release pattern is so different. Hunter is the only guy I see with as much leverage (as slicefixer defines it) as Hogan after impact. I don't even see slicefixer's guys with that much leverage (not that they don't have it, but I can't see it that well because he doesn't post that many videos from a clear angle, although from the target line looking back they never have as much).
[/quote]

What's the difference, especially the driver?

[quote name='tylerdurden' timestamp='1341200284' post='5201976']
[quote name='tofur99' timestamp='1341166934' post='5198950']

[/quote]

I typically hit the mute button immediately after hearing Kostis unless I feel like projectile vomiting all over my living room.

When did SF say that about Mahan? Good to know. Do you know what he thinks about Tigers new motion?
[/quote]

lol i agree, kostis says more bad things than good for sure. He said it around a month ago. He thinks tigers iron swing is decent, he's hitting it with leverage and is more pivot driven, but driver still isn't there though. There's talk that foley(among others) got his hands on a dvd geoff made talking intricately about the swing and has been implementing it. Kinda shows up in tiger imo.

[/quote]

Which one is closer to hogan:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l55LB8oABvQ

....or this guy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXbqC7HEpKU&feature=related

hogan golf101 beat me to it!

[quote name='tofur99' timestamp='1341233342' post='5203076']
[/quote]

[media=]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l55LB8oABvQ[/media]

....or this guy:

[media=]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXbqC7HEpKU&feature=related[/media]

[/quote]

Dufner isn't close to Hogan in my book. Look at his release, come on!!!

The guy has a nice swing but the club shuts down FAST after impact. THAT'S NOT HOGAN

[quote name='hogangolf101' timestamp='1341202665' post='5202168']
[quote name='tylerdurden' timestamp='1341200034' post='5201952']
[/quote]

[/quote]

What's the difference, especially the driver?
[/quote]

He doesn't lower as much or open as fast. Lowering is setup releated. But I think that relates to his right arm straitening a lot more than Hogan's through impact. His release is also less stable.

But IMO rock has one of the best swings in golf right now. I just think that Hunter is more Hogan from hip high to hip high.

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNBwVFL40uM&feature=plcp"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNBwVFL40uM&feature=plcp[/url]

Depends on what you mean.

Of all the guys on tour right now, Mahan has the most number of elements in his own swing that made Hogan's swing work, and made it so consistent.

Especially that powerful "body release" of the club.

PIng G25 8.5/Fuji MS 7.2 TS X
Ping Rapture 13*/Fuji MS 7.2 TS X
Ping G25 19*/Fuji MS 7.2 TS X
Ping S55 (3-PW)/ PX 6.5
Ping Tour Gorge 54* and 60*
Odyssey 2-ball Versa, 34"

Mahan, Dufner and Rock all have great swings. Mahan is definitely more "Hoganish" through impact than the other two. Rock really digs some trenches (as expected, just like Mac), Mahan is much shallower. The problem with these kinds of arguments is that guys swings change and evolve. Immelman was super good when he won the Masters, then his swing started to change for the worse, IMO. J. Byrd and Garcia were much closer to Hogan about 3-5 years ago and their releases have become more "down the line" in the last couple of years. Woodland is in the same camp. Awesome swing 2 years ago, then he left Randy Smith, swing got worse. Dufner has gotten a lot better the last 2 years, he's been practicing releasing left and has stated as such. Clearly Tiger is doing the same (as witnessed by his practice swing).

Byrd used to practice the "open faced drill" with his old coach. Produced a Hoganish release and we know that Byrd is a Hogan nut (like Dufner). Then he switched instructors, releases more down the line now.

The main point being that you can't compare one guys driver swing from 3 years ago to another's 9 iron swing from last week, and taken at different camera angles. For one, you don't usually know what kind of shot they were trying to hit. One might be trying to hit a low cut, another a high draw. You really have to look at their most recent stuff from multiple angles and with different clubs and situations to see what's really going on, IMO.

[quote name='hoganfan924' timestamp='1341238821' post='5203582']
Mahan, Dufner and Rock all have great swings. Mahan is definitely more "Hoganish" through impact than the other two. Rock really digs some trenches (as expected, just like Mac), Mahan is much shallower. The problem with these kinds of arguments is that guys swings change and evolve. Immelman was super good when he won the Masters, then his swing started to change for the worse, IMO. J. Byrd and Garcia were much closer to Hogan about 3-5 years ago and their releases have become more "down the line" in the last couple of years. Woodland is in the same camp. Awesome swing 2 years ago, then he left Randy Smith, swing got worse. Dufner has gotten a lot better the last 2 years, he's been practicing releasing left and has stated as such. Clearly Tiger is doing the same (as witnessed by his practice swing).

Byrd used to practice the "open faced drill" with his old coach. Produced a Hoganish release and we know that Byrd is a Hogan nut (like Dufner). Then he switched instructors, releases more down the line now.

The main point being that you can't compare one guys driver swing from 3 years ago to another's 9 iron swing from last week, and taken at different camera angles. For one, you don't usually know what kind of shot they were trying to hit. One might be trying to hit a low cut, another a high draw. You really have to look at their most recent stuff from multiple angles and with different clubs and situations to see what's really going on, IMO.
[/quote]

I agree. But with Hunter, it doesn't matter what swing you look at, the guy has an amazing release from any angle on any shot.

It's sad what's happening with Woodland. I thought Butch was the greatest teacher in the world.

None of these guys are really there because the equipment is so different and they don't need to be................ swinging Ultralight drivers with massive heads means that there is unlikely to be 100% classical swing intentions. Woodland gets close but the equipment and the incentive to play slash and gouge turns his swing into some monstrous looking hybrid swing imho. Mahan also has a very unappealing swing in this sense because despite a flat plane and rotary body motion I think his use (or lack of) of Ground forces is massively wide of the mark.

Also I don't think any of these guys are using 3 irons with 52* lie angles! Very hard to swing like Hogan if you don't ;-)

Get them using old, heavy, flat equipment and non juiced balls, and where you have to hit 80% of Fairways and GIR to have a chance of winning the tournament....... then you'll see who swings like Hogan, Player, Knudson.

Of the current players Mahan and Furyk do pretty well. And strangely enough long drive champ Jamie Sadlowski rings alot of bells for me.

Jason Dufner - Not even close.

Guys that are............Gary Woodland, Scott Mccarron.

I put together a youtube compilation vid of McCarron, but I keep it private cause most of the footage is from the SITD guys. I use it as one of my training vids.

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1ANVzTTsCw"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1ANVzTTsCw[/url]

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6DwASjV22Q&feature=endscreen&NR=1"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6DwASjV22Q&feature=endscreen&NR=1[/url]

[quote name='tofur99' timestamp='1341233342' post='5203076']
[/quote]

[media=]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l55LB8oABvQ[/media]

....or this guy:

[media=]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXbqC7HEpKU&feature=related[/media]

[/quote]

I think Butch Harmon f***** up that swing...the YT clip I posted was better, that was before he went to BH...lol

EDIT: Guys, didn't read yet your comments on BH farking up Woodland's swing when I posted the above...lol...honest...darn BH...he just knows how to talk in front of the camera...lol

[quote name='tylerdurden' timestamp='1341236089' post='5203282']

He doesn't lower as much or open as fast. Lowering is setup releated. But I think that relates to his right arm straitening a lot more than Hogan's through impact. His release is also less stable.

But IMO rock has one of the best swings in golf right now. I just think that Hunter is more Hogan from hip high to hip high.

[media=]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNBwVFL40uM&feature=plcp[/media]
[/quote]

Look at the driver swings...and iron swings where he really maxes it out...most of Rock's iron swings are not full throttle...but yeah, he always strived to straighten the R arm while the L arm is still straight as well...I don't think Hogan did that...explains also the different look to Rock's finish...

Mahan's release is more different...he lets everything drop and uncock and squares the face early in transition, then rotates his shoulders hard...Hogan didn't do that. Hogan fired his hips, which drops his hands but never unc0cks, on the contrary he increased the c0ck aka lag and laid off and opened his face more...then fired everything to the max...rolliing everything. You can clearly see Mahan's hips are very different, they are just following the shoulders. Hogan is the exact opposite...its the hips that leads everything, especially for fades...

[quote name='hogangolf101' timestamp='1341244782' post='5204246']
[quote name='tylerdurden' timestamp='1341236089' post='5203282']

[media=]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNBwVFL40uM&feature=plcp[/media]
[/quote]

Look at the driver swings...and iron swings where he really maxes it out...most of Rock's iron swings are not full throttle...but yeah, he always strived to straighten the R arm while the L arm is still straight as well...I don't think Hogan did that...explains also the different look to Rock's finish...

Mahan's release is more different...he lets everything drop and uncock and squares the face early in transition, then rotates his shoulders hard...Hogan didn't do that. Hogan fired his hips, which drops his hands but never unc0cks, on the contrary he increased the c0ck aka lag and laid off and opened his face more...then fired everything to the max...rolliing everything. You can clearly see Mahan's hips are very different, they are just following the shoulders. Hogan is the exact opposite...its the hips that leads everything, especially for fades...
[/quote]

I don't agree that Hunter's hips follow his shoulders. His hips get very open early while his shoulders are still shut. Look at him at P5 in the driver video I originally posted - very open hips and shoulders still shut. How could his shoulders be leading the hips?