It may just be me...

but i think it happens to everyone
So im speaking for all the juniors out there, im 14 and i go golfing every day almost in summer with my brother of 17 years old, well we both have a membership to our home course, and it seems every morning around 10, we walk into the course to find all these 40-70 year olds giving us a weird stare like in their head they are saying "they should'nt be out here..." or "WTF are they doin here?!" they must thnk that kids dont act well on a golf course, (im a 9 hanidcap, my bro a 4), and something else they do is ride our butts when they play behind us like they just want to annoy us. Has this ever happened to anyone else???

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yea i got a ton of looks like that too when i played at a private course in socal for a while. Don't worry about it, I finally told the guys behind me to either join us and the money game of back off they joined us and lost a couple hundred dollars. It was a fun day. They feel as if you are going to screw around and play slow but in reality they are the ones who don't normally keep pace and don't follow golf rules or fix greens. Repair divots or rake bunkers- Just let them hassle you or what ever, possibly one day ask if they would like to join you and then that may change there mind of you when they see you respect the game and want to get better. Hope that clears it up some. I worked at a course to for 5 years and saw this almost everyday.

yea i get this everyda. Me and my friend are both scratch golfers and recently i beat him in the final round of our Mens Club Championship and ever since no one really likes us. They had a big deal with us playing in it but we were clearly the best. Now no one talks to us or ask us to play, and its mostly the older members but we do have about 5 that really like us.

The key is to keep your maners and still be respectful. I never really got the looks and treatment you're getting at your course, but throughout the summer I played in with a bunch of different members at our course (where I work as well), and eventually you get to know them all, and they get to know you, and pretty soon you can't wait to either go to work because of these people, or you can't wait to go out and pla and see who you'll get paired up with. Its great once you know everyone, and they know you.

So, like others have said, play up with them and get talking, because 9 times out of 10, they'll change their minds and start respecting you.

The key is to keep your maners and still be respectful. I never really got the looks and treatment you're getting at your course, but throughout the summer I played in with a bunch of different members at our course (where I work as well), and eventually you get to know them all, and they get to know you, and pretty soon you can't wait to either go to work because of these people, or you can't wait to go out and pla and see who you'll get paired up with. Its great once you know everyone, and they know you.

So, like others have said, play up with them and get talking, because 9 times out of 10, they'll change their minds and start respecting you.

oh yea this is how it used to be for me, until i won, but now they are starting to relize that we are better than them and always will be lol so most of them are wanting to play with us and talk. but some will never change.

I think you'll find that most people are wary of folks they don't know, and it's not surprising that adult players would just jump to stereotypical conclusions about younger players. But my experience has been that if you show them you are a mature player that respects the course, your playing partners and the game, that you'll be accepted into any group, young or old.

BUT, if you show your tail by acting immature or disrespectful, then you'll reap what you sow. For example, in our club championship this year, there was a 16-year old playing. During his first round match (which he lost) he was a terrible sport and made a fool of himself - he actually made a cell phone call in the middle of the match to set up his social schedule for the evening, before his opponent had even finished putting. And now he's got a terrible reputation among the better players in the club (and I'm sure he tells everyone that'll listen that everyone hates him for no reason).

Callaway Rogue ST Max LS, Tensei White 65S
Taylormade BRNR Mini, 11.5*, GD AD-IZ 7X

Taylormade Sim Ti 18*, GD AD-IZ 7X

Taylormade Qi 4i, Dart 90 S

Taylormade P790 5i - 6i, MMT 105 S +1"

Taylormade P770 7i-AW, MMT 105 S +1"

Taylormade MG 3 56*, & 60*, MMT 105 S +1"
Taylormade MyTP Juno Long Neck, 35"

I can understand where you guys are coming from but personally have never faced it. The Private club i joined in my area actually recruited me. I play with some of my friends who all play DI college golf and we generally play with the guys at our club ages 25 to near 60. My club is a "Players" club. most of the guys that play with us are single digit and many under a 3. The "older" guys welcome us with open arms and i appreciate that because i have learned alot. I am playing with guys who have played in multiple US AM's Mid AM's, Philly AM champs etc. all very good and accomplished players. Its sort of like a brotherhood. we play golf, watch footbal etc.... i wouldnt trade it for anything.

Goose

on another note: the guys are hooked on tour equipment as well so its always fun to talk shop while playing ESPECIALLY with guys who know what their talking about.

PXG 0811X 10* w/ Tensei Blue 70TX<br />PXG 0341X 15* w/ Tensei Blue 70TX<br />PXG 0317 19* w/ Tensei Blue 80X<br />PXG 0311T 4-W w/ Nippon Modus 130X<br />PXG 0311 50*,55*,60* w/ Modus 130X<br />Scotty Cameron Circle T Newport 2

My home club is really good with the juniors because there is only a handful of us and they want the juniors to be there. Our course suffers because it is very hill and hard to play, although the course rating is always 2 or 3 under par!!! :) Good juniors usually leave to play a course that they can actually go low on, play good shots and get rewarded for them, and can actually play to course par. That is why I'm leaving it, + there is only old folks left at the course. So yeah, I haven't really found that with our seniors, they're generally pretty nice people, but one or two old guys scare the bejesus out of me and I try to avoid them (sticklers for rules when your just practising and stuff like that).

Like others said just be respectful. I still get looks and I'm 19. I was once laughed at getting on the tee box by a group of regulars that we were playing through (We were a 2 some and they were a 6). My dad was with me and he asked them to be quiet and they kinda snubbed us. We were on the 10th hole and it was 450 yard par 4 into a 2 club wind. Well I happened to be trying out the Pink BiMatrix proto at the time in my 425 TP. That was the reason for the laughter. I proceeded to hit the ball PAST the 150 stake. I think they kinda got the message after that. (I heard "Oh sh**!" probably 15 times after I hit that ball.) Anyway, the point is be respectful and when you are in their place don't do the same thing that they did.

If a man scowls at you, smile back.

If a man scowls at you again, smile back.

If you smile at a man, he won't look at you with contempt.

Seriously, try it out. Sometimes the only reason why people feel as though they are offended by someone else is because they do not realise that they themselves are offensive. Thus both sides end up being offensive to each other. It only takes one person to make up and be nice to make it a happy relationship.

Of course if the person is an anti-social hermit or simply isn't a nice guy, then don't bother... after you've tried to be nice.

Josh

When I first started playing without my parents I was around 13 and our head pro gave me and my friends some great advice.

That advice was: "A lot of older players are not going to want you guys out here. Don't give them any reason to complain about you and they won't be able to complain about you."

It may not seem fair, it may not even be fair, but I think it was good advice. Don't yell, swear, throw your clubs, use your cell phone, leave divots, leave pitch marks, forget to rake bunkers, even if they do.

For every foursome of jerks you meet on the course, you will meet a great guy or group of guys who just enjoy the game. You will find that won't change with age.

Yeahh I have that same thing for my first year but I try to be as nice as I can to them like "Morning" or "How did you guys play today" once they start talking to you and saying hello and stuff like that. If you dont have a game that day try to maybe play 9 with them and be friendly so you just dont play with Juniors all the time

-Jared

I've never experienced things like that. I'm one of the oldest juniors (I'm 17). Most of them are younger.

We tend to get allot of credit since we're juniors.

I'm Junior Captain at my home club and I've played alot last year so people are starting to know me.

I always say hello when passing somebody, I'm always friendly and I respect the rules.

People see me as a responsible boy and I like it that way.

Thomas

There really isn't a problem with older members and juniors at my clubs. There are the occasional adults that won't let us play through..scowl at us and so on. But there are some juniors that golf out there that don't respect the rules the course things like that. So it really just depends on the individual. I just try and be as respectful as I can to them and I get a long with everyone out there just fine.

TuffKukae Posted Today, 07:44 PM

This old man does not care for most juniors.. witnessed to much horseplay and goofing off and disrepect to the golf course. I've only seen maybe 10% of juniors that acted right.

come on now tuffkukae, thats not nice. I feel as if your post was influenced more by having to follow up on your s/n's theme than actual straight up evidence. I find that the vast majority of junior golfers show great respect for the game and it's players althoguh inevitably a few spoilt rich brats get mixed up in the big picture. Of all my golfing friends in real life, every last one of them shows more respect and class than the average golfer and I only know personally of a select few of whom I feel tarnish the good name of junior golfers.

justin