Looking to gain distance. What do you recommend?

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well you said your lean there are 2 approaches to this!!!!!

1- Turn into John Daly-- Mcdonalds for 6 months start will solve this!! haha

2- lean is a term - what do u mean by this?? Long limbs with little meat on the bone- ETC.ETC.

I have never seen your golf swing eother but i am willing to bet you not that big yet. So how but doing stuff around the house with your body--

if you have stairs running up and down them yes you will get lots of looks!

doing pull ups/chin ups.

push-ups and crunches.

Swing a broom for 15-20 mins.

Those rite there will build a nice strong core and keep you in some decent shape. I do these and it helps a lot--

100 push-ups- 500 crunches- swing the broom everyday-

Josh

At the moment, I do nothing... I eat chocolate as well... I need to start cutting down on the chocolate, and start at least doing some crunches and push ups, and try and do some cardio. I can't be bothered getting up before school to go jogging and usually have a lot of homework after school, so I need to find time to do 3-4 cardio sessions a week.

If you have access to a gym, do some weights - bench press, bicep curls, military presses and other stuff. I'm supposed to have a strict gym workout, but I can never find time to actually go the stuff...

500 crunches a day?How many times do you tear your stomach muscle?

None I did this all through baseball and soccer- I have a couple of drills from those 2 sports that have helped a ton. I do a work-out with a sand can. If you want i can do a write up on it. There is another drill that involves a 25 pound weight and rope with a metal bar about 2 foot long too. If you want specifics I can share.

Crunches are easy- do them in sets of 100 or even 50 while your working out and they are a piece of cake. Add a body twist when coming up and that is a whole different ball game. :drinks: You said you wanted to gain more distance which is great how bout you work on accuracy and distance will follow. Work on core movements and balance the distance will come. Let me know if you guys/gals want the write ups, I have them in short hand written on a piece of paper.

I have increased my flexability a bit by doing some twists on crunches actually, helped my golf game a bit. Also, there was this one drill i know for core strength, let me try and explain it. You get in push up position, keeping your knees off of ground, and support your body on your elbows for a few minutes. It may be hard at first to hold for 2 minutes... but it becomes easier, and helps build up core strength.

Stretch!!

check this thread out on flexibility...http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=66848

Don't do 500 crunches a day, you will end up tearing muscles in your stomach area. Try to do some work with a core ball and general weight training obviously to add some muscle.

I would say most importantly work on your flexibility the more shoulder turn you can create, and the better hip turn you can have, the more power you can generate....

haha actually i was just trying to lightin the mood and be a smartass - i understood by no means do i say start tonite and do 500 crunches- then try again tm. Start of with 100 a day 50 in the morning and 50 at nite. Then work your way up. You actaully have to do 49 in the morning and 49 at nite if you only want to do 100 tho. you ask why -- heh you forgot to add in the crunch you do to get outta bed and the one you do when u get in. :D :drinks:

• 2 weeks later...

Nothing beats press ups and shoulder presses. If you can't get to a gym, prop your feet up on a chair and do press ups which emphasizes the shoulders.

A great combination of stretching and strength that would help you is the yoga series of movements called 'Saluting the Sun' or the 'Sun Salutation'. This concentrates on the muscles of the chest, shoulders and core areas, increasing both power and flexibility.

Do martial arts, it will keep you really really limber and teach you self defense too. Also run alot. I run 15 miles a day, and I assure you that it helps

take the 2 or 3 hours this guy is running and go to the range, practice something, but do not run 15 miles a day because you wont have any time to practice golf. I dont do anything but i need to, i create rediculous lag and the strech between my hips and sholders is crazy too ( or so my instructor says)..............his thing with kids that are starting golf is "HIt the ball as far and as hard as you can and i will teach you to hit it straight"

As a competitive powerlifter and avid golfer I feel like I need to say something here. Like most everyone has said you need to increase your shoulder turn- the best advice I can give you for this is to buy a training aid. I use the Gotch Ready training aid. It goes onton any clubs in your bag and helps tremendously. Here's one link to it: http://www.tgw.com/customer/category/produ...ATEGORY_ID=7936

Its pretty affordable. Just as effective as momentus at a third of the cost. I am college student and came across this when I was shopping for a momentus. A guy at a local shop uses it avidly and told me about how he added 4 mph to his swing in a month which translates to 10-15 yards extra and he is more accurate.

Weight training is also very effective. For golfers it is very important to have a strong core (abs, low back, hips, etc) So any kind of exercises you can do to train those muscles will help you. It is also very important to train your upper body as well. Particularly your arms and shoulders. Your grip on the club is very important and the strength in your triceps is very important to the moment of impact. Strong triceps can help you increase the power at the very moment it will be most effective- the moment of impact. Try bodyweight dips and push downs. Here's some exercises you could try to train a little mor eeffectively:

Dips

Tricep pushdowns

Push ups

shoulder press

front, lateral and rear shoulder raises

ALL THE AB WORK YOU CAN FORCE YOURSELF TO DO!!!!!!

Hyperextensions (low back)

Any and all exercises for your lats- barbell rows, one arm rows, lat pull downs, shrugs

Legs- bulid up your base- squats, plyometrics, etc

I know I sound self righteous and arrogant but weight training is so important to the performance of your golf siwng. Go online and find out what might work for you. Check out kettlebell training as well. Its one piece of equipment and you can everything you would at the gym, go to www.dragondoor.com to check that out. they even have a traing program specifically for golfers.

Hope this helps everyone.

• 2 weeks later...