**Long** Adams CMB review

barony19

First time review, apologies for the length. I hope some will find the detail helpful.

Before I go any further, I have to say I really love these irons. As a long time player of blades (beginning with the Mizuno TP-11 many moons ago), these cavity back players clubs just work wonderfully. I’m self-taught, play off single figures, hit the ball very high, and have a very smooth swing.

These are my first ever Adams clubs and they look fantastic. I could care less about the back of a club to be honest, but from the top at address these just look beautiful and very blade-like to me. They’re a little bigger than my MP-68s, but the size increase is proportional so you’d never know it unless you did a direct comparison. I’m very sensitive to the shape of an iron as I look down on it and these just feel right. You never see the cavity at the back, even with the 4 iron, and they have a nicely rounded shape with an acceptable amount of offset. Certainly no shovels here.

The build and quality are really excellent. Compared to my previous Mizuno MP-68 ‘custom’ order this was a revelation. (Those clubs were so sloppily built that I had to have them rebuilt immediately. The lengths, lofts and lies were all over the place, the grips were pointing in the wrong directions and some were actually coming off at the butt end). Coming stock with quality grips and shafts makes a noticeable, and welcome, difference.

The one concern I had before buying was that I was pretty wary of the C-Taper shafts. I’ve used these before and really struggled. I was using the S+ flex previously and the short irons were like swinging rebar. Definitely way, way too stiff for me, and I deeply disliked them.

Luckily for me, the standard S flex for the CMB’s work fantastically. I was coming from KBS tour S, and have also played Nippon Modus 3 in the past. While I grew up on True Temper S300, I just can't get on with them. I get high spinning balloons all day, and the S400 and the X100 soft-stepped are just too damned heavy for me to enjoy.

Of the three shafts I like, the results are interesting:

First, I launch the C-Taper with the CMB into orbit. They start high and just keep on going, but luckily going forwards. While high, the flight is very consistent and good and they land soft as a butterfly. These clubs absolutely are not spinning heavily and ballooning. I have no fear of them in the wind. They feel very good, but both the KBS Tours and the Nippon Modus feel fractionally better to me. To be honest, my biggest welcome surprise was being able to hit them at all. In the CMBs, these shafts can absolutely work for smooth swingers and are certainly not exclusive to those who load the shaft with a hyper aggressive, fast transition.

The KBS Tours start lower and climb fast. I hit them comparably high, but in my MP-68s I get a much lower initial launch and then climb. Definitely a higher spinning shaft, but I’ve never had a problem with them in the wind. They also feel great. The only issue I have is swingweight related. They’re just a complete pain to deal with.

The Nippon Modus 3 is perhaps my favorite shaft ever. They feel amazing to me, they launch fairly low and just have this beautiful controlled, lower flight. If I ever fall out with the C-Taper’s in the CMB, I know what I’ll be putting in there instead.

Anyway, back to the CMB. They are strongly lofted, so my gapping is a bit all over the place. I’m roughly a club longer through the bag, but this is most pronounced with the shorter irons. A 9 iron is now my 155 club. I just have to keep reminding myself that it’s really an 8!

The ball flight through the bag is very consistent. I don’t have any launch monitor data, but just from eyeballing it, I was getting a very consistent ballflight and total height right through from 4 iron to gap wedge. The 4 iron is a breeze to hit.

Moving the ball sideways is pretty much like any other players club, although they definitely prefer to go straight-ish. I generally hit a draw and struggle fading the ball, and found these to be no better or worse than other clubs I’ve used to be honest. I definitely don’t find them to be turning over too easily like some others have mentioned.

Compared directly to my MP68 with KBS Tours, I’m hitting the ball higher and farther, with a definite improvement in forgiveness in slightly off-center strikes (although to be honest, I’m a pretty consistent ballstriker). Feelwise, they are very, very similar. Definitely a soft forging, which is to Adams credit.

Overall, I’d say these are a club you really, really must try if you’re coming from blades and want a quality club with a little more forgiveness, and hate looking down and seeing the cavity at the back.

One thing to note is that I’ve finally given up on custom fitting. While I do believe there are great fitters out there, I also believe they are very much in the minority. I’ve done it several times, always with well-researched ‘expert’ fitters. Every time I’ve come away disappointed, and with what I felt were poor recommendations. It’s a shame that these negative experiences serve to tarnish the people who I’m sure are truly first rate out there.

By contrast, I bought these Adams sight unseen with Amex points and I’m very glad I did. I’m also delighted that I got so lucky!

Hope this helps.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the excellent read, I am currently playing the MP68's so found your feedback to be very worth while, can you comment on their performance thru the dirt coming from blades and what type of player you are digger/sweeper etc.

Driver = Callaway Smoke-Ai Max-D 

3 wood = Callaway Smoke-Ai Max HL

3 Hybrid = Tour Edge Exotics C722
Irons = 4-PW Miura KM 700
Gap Wedge = Miura HB 50*

Sand Wedge = Taylormade MG2 56*

Putter = LAB DF3

Ball = TP5x pix

[quote name='barony19' timestamp='1341343242' post='5211732']
...By contrast, I bought these Adams sight unseen with Amex points and I’m very glad I did. I’m also delighted that I got so lucky!
[/quote]

Great review, thank you!

I've gone to the AMEX Membership Rewards site, and while I found the Fast 12LS driver there, they don't seem to list the CMBs among the irons available. If you wouldn't mind a PM (or posting here) how you bought these with AMEX points, I'd be most grateful. Thanks, and enjoy your new clubs!

Cobra Bio Cell 9.5, Oban Kiyoshi Stiff
Adams F11 Ti 15 degree, VooDoo 70gr. Stiff
Tour Edge Exotics 18 degree hybrid, Aldila NV Stiff
Titleist 910F 21, set to 22 degrees, Diamana Kai'li Stiff
Ping i20 5-P, CFS Stiff
Vokey TVD-K 56 (bent to 55), TVD-K 60, S300
TaylorMade Spider Blade 38"

[quote name='Mirage' timestamp='1341355826' post='5212880']
...By contrast, I bought these Adams sight unseen with Amex points and I’m very glad I did. I’m also delighted that I got so lucky!
[/quote]

Great review, thank you!

I've gone to the AMEX Membership Rewards site, and while I found the Fast 12LS driver there, they don't seem to list the CMBs among the irons available. If you wouldn't mind a PM (or posting here) how you bought these with AMEX points, I'd be most grateful. Thanks, and enjoy your new clubs!
[/quote]

I bought using Amex points through Amazon. You can connect your Amex account to your Amazon account and then buy anything Amazon has with points. I actually bought them from Golfsmith via Amazon. Sounds a little tricky, but worked out no problem.

To craz-e, I find them really good through the turf and easier than the MP-68s from the rough (although not super easy from the rough). I like to take a divot, and from time to time have trouble hitting a little fat. With the CMBs my fat shots are definitely not as bad as the MP68. Being honest, I think they'd be fine for a sweeper too, but certainly are very nice when hitting down on a short iron for example.

[quote name='barony19' timestamp='1341357581' post='5213044']
[quote name='Mirage' timestamp='1341355826' post='5212880']
[/quote]

Great review, thank you!

[/quote]

I bought using Amex points through Amazon. You can connect your Amex account to your Amazon account and then buy anything Amazon has with points. I actually bought them from Golfsmith via Amazon. Sounds a little tricky, but worked out no problem.

To craz-e, I find them really good through the turf and easier than the MP-68s from the rough (although not super easy from the rough). I like to take a divot, and from time to time have trouble hitting a little fat. With the CMBs my fat shots are definitely not as bad as the MP68. Being honest, I think they'd be fine for a sweeper too, but certainly are very nice when hitting down on a short iron for example.
[/quote]

Thanks for posting will have to try myself!

Driver = Callaway Smoke-Ai Max-D 

3 wood = Callaway Smoke-Ai Max HL

3 Hybrid = Tour Edge Exotics C722
Irons = 4-PW Miura KM 700
Gap Wedge = Miura HB 50*

Sand Wedge = Taylormade MG2 56*

Putter = LAB DF3

Ball = TP5x pix

Barony, great review! I feel like this is a review i could have written myself. I think im almost the same exact player as you. Im currently playing the MP68s with CTapers in S+ flex. The setup is just about perfect for me but im looking for a bit more forgiveness on my less than perfect swings. I had a chance to check out the CMBs yesterday and they are exactly as you described. Actually, i ran over and compared them to the MP69s and you are correct, they setup VERY similarly but a touch larger....which is just about exactly what i was looking for. Your comments about the S+ flex are interesting....i seem to like them in my 68s. Actually, i found out that Adams doesn't offer them in the S+ flex but the rep came up with an option for me to have them pulled and swapped in by a club builder. Debating whether I want to do that or not or maybe just order the stock stiff setup.... Decisions....

Titleist TSi2 10, Fujikura Ventus Blue Velocore 6X, 45"

Titleist TSi2 16.5, Fujikura Ventus Red Velocore 7X, 43"

TaylorMade GAPR Mid 4, KBS

Titleist T100S, KBS C-Taper S+ 5-PW

Titleist SM8, 50F, 54S, 60D, TT S400 Custom 

Scotty Cameron Phantom X12, 35", Stability Tour

[url="https://www.instagram.com/dnice262626/"]https://www.instagram.com/dnice262626/[/url]

just bumping for more reviews thoughts etc..

[url="https://www.instagram.com/dnice262626/"]https://www.instagram.com/dnice262626/[/url]

lowdrive.......I would be interested in knowing this as well

• 1 month later...

I just hit these today, Adams CMB with the C Taper Stiff. This is [b]absolutely[/b] the best combo I have hit in the past few years, they are sick. I am a kbs tour guy normally but these with the c taper is the best combo Ive ever hit in an iron. Perfect trajectory with some of the best control (the shots do not get away from you), soft feel of forged and very forgiving. These are so easy to hit even compared to an i20 iron. The bounce is more for a digger than a sweeper (i20 bounce), which is what I am, In other words these are going to be in my bag very soon! You guys have got to give these a proper demo when looking for a new iron, Ive tried them all this year and this is the best so far

Couldn't agree more. I recently switched from my i20s. I didn't think i'd ever find an iron that went as far as the i20, but the CMBs do it - with more accuracy, which is the whole point anyway. Phenomenal feel, distance and feedback - plus they play beautifully around the greens. Buy them with confidence.

[quote name='humpherzz' timestamp='1347127539' post='5607745']
Couldn't agree more. I recently switched from my i20s. I didn't think i'd ever find an iron that went as far as the i20, but the CMBs do it - with more accuracy, which is the whole point anyway. Phenomenal feel, distance and feedback - plus they play beautifully around the greens. Buy them with confidence.
[/quote]

And not to belabor the point, but the only drawback to the clubs is the lack of SW option. I had it with the i20s for distance continuity, I WISH adams would offer a SW in the CMBs.

Keep in mind that you lose some value when you convert your AMEX points to credits on Amazon. It isn't a one to one ratio. I hit the J40 at a BS ball fitting and it is a nice club.

Odyssey Tank #7
PING Glide Wedges 54, 58
PING G15 5-UW KBS C-Taper Lite
PING G25 Hybrid 20 & 23
PING K15 3W
PING G20 Driver

• 4 years later...

I just got these, am I the only one who noticed that the 7 iron in this set has a thicker topline than the rest of the clubs? Even when compared to the 6 and 8 iron, the 6 especially, it is noticeably thicker.

I went to my local shop to look at some used sets, and in the 2 sets they had I saw the same thing.

Kind of annoying, as the 7 is a key club in the set, and it looks much worse than the rest. Considering selling them just for that reason...

I just got these, am I the only one who noticed that the 7 iron in this set has a thicker topline than the rest of the clubs? Even when compared to the 6 and 8 iron, the 6 especially, it is noticeably thicker.

I went to my local shop to look at some used sets, and in the 2 sets they had I saw the same thing.

Kind of annoying, as the 7 is a key club in the set, and it looks much worse than the rest. Considering selling them just for that reason...

Given that Adams is now defunct not sure it matters much.

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5°/Xcaliber SL 45 a flex,Callaway Rogue ST Max Heavenwood/Xcaliber FW a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 3h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 4h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour TC 5h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour+ 6-G/Xcaliber Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby Max Milled 54° & 58°/Xcaliber Wedge 85 r flex, Mizuno Bettinardi C06

Given that Adams is now defunct not sure it matters much.

What does that mean? It's not like their clubs aren't usable anymore

interesting... I'll check mine out

Srixon ZX5  TT dynamic gold 95  PING G425 FST 43.25"  Tour Edge 721 Tensei blue 65  Mizuno T22 56* 60*  Bobby Grace AMG 6313 35"

Interesting. I have two sets. One un-shafted, the other with shafts.

7i is between the 6i and 8i in the pics. I don't have calipers, but my measure is close to 3/16" for the 6i and 8i, and a tad over 3/16" for the 7i. My wife, non-golfer but super keen observer of everything on the planet, saw the difference right away. :)

Yup. Clear to see in that first pic. Ugh, was so excited to get these too.

It's not that I care that one of them is different, it's just that if all the clubs in that set were that thickness, I wouldn't buy them.

Someone in R&D fell asleep. I feel like that topline is similar the one on the XTD Forged which is the reason I decided to with the CMB in the first place

Yup. Clear to see in that first pic. Ugh, was so excited to get these too.

It's not that I care that one of them is different, it's just that if all the clubs in that set were that thickness, I wouldn't buy them.

Someone in R&D fell asleep. I feel like that topline is similar the one on the XTD Forged which is the reason I decided to with the CMB in the first place

When I address the ball with the CMB's, the tilt of the iron head rearward lessens the top line "thickness" and the distance from my eyeballs to the soled iron on the ground mitigates this for me. I actually never noticed it until I ran across this thread. :)

But if that matters, then it does. I can respect that.

I'm happy with my 2015 Onoff Kuro's, perfect dimensions all around! :)