2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

The Pro's vs Ben Hogan - swing animations

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very nice work BHSP. I like Gary, especially on the follow through. Sergio and Tiger look to have the most space between their arms and body at impact, where as Gary and Scott seem to have to get their hips out of the way to make room for the arms. Sergio's BS looks very upright, but the DS and follow through are very nice. Tiger's very upright in both BS and DS.

Nike VR Tour 9.5 | Nike VR Ltd 15 19 | Callaway Razr X Muscleback 3-9 | Vokey SM8 48-52-56 | Rife Cayman

Very nice animations, I noticed how Sergio seems to be the one who stays on the single plane the best of them all. Keeps the shaft below the glass on the backswing and follow through.

Ping I25 9 degree x flex
TEE 4 wood
Ping I series 4-Gap PX 6.0
Ping Glide 54 degree
Ping Glide 58 degree
Machine M1A custom

[quote name='Timanator' timestamp='1341707899' post='5234514']
Nice job Anthony, any reason why you didn't draw the tush/heel line vertical?
[/quote]

I allow the players body to make that tush line. All the lines you see are based soley on each player, cause each person has a different body type and dimensions. From bottom of right heel to tush are reference points. If I drew a straight vertical line and the guy had a Jennifer Lopez tush, would throw everything off.

[quote name='Mike Divot' timestamp='1341711934' post='5234860']
I'm not trying to throw a spanner, but ... why are you doing this?

What purpose is there to this, other than to show that these guys are not Hogan?

You could take any two golfers and do this, and you would see that they're not the same as each other.

How is it useful?
[/quote]

Ummmmmm, I can't think of any reason but because it's fun fun fun! And I was bored, and I didn't feel like picking up a club today, and I use these as study guides, and I like picking the Hogan traits out of other's swings.

Just kidding......................the real reason, I do these is "to show that these guys are not Hogan and I like to take any two golfers and do this, and to see that they're not the same as each other." :dntknw:

Here ya go Mike......This may help with your questions:

[size=2][b]What is Compare & Contrast?[/b][/size]
[size=2]Compare and Contrast is used to highlight similarities and differences between to things. It is a process where the act of classification is practiced. It is effectively used in conjunction with indirect instructional methods, but can also be used directly to teach vocabulary signals, classification, nomenclature and key characteristics. It is often presented in either written text paragraphs or a chart. Its most common use is as a graphic organizer of content.[/size]
[size=2][b]What is its purpose?[/b][/size]
[size=2]Compare and Contrast is used to help students distinguish between types of ideas or group like ideas. It can be used to help students identify language cues, clarify thinking and define ideas.
It can also be used to facilitate indirect instruction through concept formation or concept attainment.[/size]
[size=2][b]How can I do it?[/b][/size]
[size=2]The most common form of comparison and contrast is a chart. The paper is divided down the middle and the two columns have specific functions. The comparison side is used to list similarities between two things, and the differences are listed in the contrast column. The student typically completes the chart after a form of direct instruction such as reading, listening or viewing. Following the completion of the chart, some form of debriefing is used to help student make generalizations based on the items that fall into each category or column. This debriefing might be discussion, journaling, or any other form of reflective thinking.[/size]
[size=2][b]How can I adapt it? [/b][/size]
[size=2]Comparison and contrast is a useful method for improving reading skills and listening skills. When students are struggling with finding meaning in either the spoken or written word, a comparison and contrast for specific language tools is a powerful tool. Specific words signal comparative ideas in language. For example in comparison, at the same time, or similarly signal sameness and on the other hand, but, nevertheless yet, however, and in contrast show that things are in opposition. Students can be given a list of words and then use them as cues to pull ideas out a passage. This is a decoding tool that can be adapted across grade and subject.[/size]

[quote name='Ben Hogan Swing Project' timestamp='1341716438' post='5235236']

What purpose is there to this, other than to show that these guys are not Hogan?

You could take any two golfers and do this, and you would see that they're not the same as each other.

How is it useful?
[/quote]

Ummmmmm, I can't think of any reason but because it's fun fun fun! And I was bored, and I didn't feel like picking up a club today, and I use these as study guides, and I like picking the Hogan traits out of other's swings.

Just kidding......................the real reason, I do these is "to show that these guys are not Hogan and I like to take any two golfers and do this, and to see that they're not the same as each other." :dntknw:
[/quote]

Yeah, every week there's a thread about a member claiming someone is swinging just like Hogan. I like these comparison gifs, quite handy.

Nike VR Tour 9.5 | Nike VR Ltd 15 19 | Callaway Razr X Muscleback 3-9 | Vokey SM8 48-52-56 | Rife Cayman

The most noticeable thing I see is that the players of the past had nice flat, not too flat, backswing and follow through. I know its a different generation, and I know they get back in the slot at the end, but its interesting to see how many players seem more upright. With that being said the older players with that swing were known for their consistency and how straight they hit the ball.

Ping I25 9 degree x flex
TEE 4 wood
Ping I series 4-Gap PX 6.0
Ping Glide 54 degree
Ping Glide 58 degree
Machine M1A custom

[quote name='Ben Hogan Swing Project' timestamp='1341708430' post='5234574']
[/quote]

I allow the players body to make that tush line. All the lines you see are based soley on each player, cause each person has a different body type and dimensions. From bottom of right heel to tush are reference points. If I drew a straight vertical line and the guy had a Jennifer Lopez tush, would throw everything off.
[/quote]

Tush line is very important. It gives you an idea whether the golfer is moving his hips correctly.

By the way, the size of the butt is irrelevant. What the tush line does is you will be able to see whether or not the golfer is leaving it during the swing. Hogan never does. Sorry to make it more obvious to you.

[quote name='Ben Hogan Swing Project' timestamp='1341717128' post='5235280']
Here ya go Mike......This may help with your questions:

[size=2][b]What is Compare & Contrast?[/b][/size]
[size=2]Compare and Contrast is used to highlight similarities and differences between to things. It is a process where the act of classification is practiced. It is effectively used in conjunction with indirect instructional methods, but can also be used directly to teach vocabulary signals, classification, nomenclature and key characteristics. It is often presented in either written text paragraphs or a chart. Its most common use is as a graphic organizer of content.[/size]
[size=2][b]What is its purpose?[/b][/size]
[size=2]Compare and Contrast is used to help students distinguish between types of ideas or group like ideas. It can be used to help students identify language cues, clarify thinking and define ideas.
It can also be used to facilitate indirect instruction through concept formation or concept attainment.[/size]
[size=2][b]How can I do it?[/b][/size]
[size=2]The most common form of comparison and contrast is a chart. The paper is divided down the middle and the two columns have specific functions. The comparison side is used to list similarities between two things, and the differences are listed in the contrast column. The student typically completes the chart after a form of direct instruction such as reading, listening or viewing. Following the completion of the chart, some form of debriefing is used to help student make generalizations based on the items that fall into each category or column. This debriefing might be discussion, journaling, or any other form of reflective thinking.[/size]
[size=2][b]How can I adapt it? [/b][/size]
[size=2]Comparison and contrast is a useful method for improving reading skills and listening skills. When students are struggling with finding meaning in either the spoken or written word, a comparison and contrast for specific language tools is a powerful tool. Specific words signal comparative ideas in language. For example in comparison, at the same time, or similarly signal sameness and on the other hand, but, nevertheless yet, however, and in contrast show that things are in opposition. Students can be given a list of words and then use them as cues to pull ideas out a passage. This is a decoding tool that can be adapted across grade and subject.[/size]
[/quote]

So, where YOU able to find the differences, similarities, oppositions and whatever to figure out our man Hogan? C'mon, tell us so we will all learn...

[quote name='hogangolf101' timestamp='1341722854' post='5235668']
So, where YOU able to find the differences, similarities, oppositions and whatever to figure out our man Hogan? C'mon, tell us so we will all learn...
[/quote]

Not really. Just slight differences in old school vs new school swings. No need for anyone to tell you. Use your eyes and decide for yourself.

How is it useful?
[/quote]

This is Hogan forum, he's trying to replicate the swing by studying Hogan and others that came after?

Ping G30 Sl-Tec
TM R11 PW-4I
Scor 52-56
Odyssey Versa 7

[quote name='hogangolf101' timestamp='1341722163' post='5235620']
[quote name='Ben Hogan Swing Project' timestamp='1341708430' post='5234574']
[/quote]

[/quote]

Tush line is very important. It gives you an idea whether the golfer is moving his hips correctly.

By the way, the size of the butt is irrelevant. What the tush line does is you will be able to see whether or not the golfer is leaving it during the swing. Hogan never does. Sorry to make it more obvious to you.
[/quote]

Hogan leaves the "tush" line from right after impact and is way off it in the finish.

8.5* Nike Vapor Speed - 7m3
15* Cobra Amp Cell - Fubuki 70x
18* Adams A12 - GD DI 85x
20* Adams Super 9031 - UST VTS 100x
54*, 58* Nike VR Forged
5-PW Mizuno MP64 - PXi 6.0

[quote name='hogangolf101' timestamp='1341734429' post='5235996']
[quote name='rok78' timestamp='1341732418' post='5235968']
Hogan leaves the "tush" line from right after impact and is way off it in the finish.
[/quote]

Huh? The R cheek leaves, but got replaced by the L cheek.
[/quote]

watch the first animation of mahan and hogan, notice mahans tush actually goes past the line and ends up on it at the end, hogans right hip comes out toward the ball more and the hips are generally pushing out more rather than back. Obviously worked pretty well.

[quote name='tofur99' timestamp='1341757055' post='5236512']
[/quote]

[/quote]

watch the first animation of mahan and hogan, notice mahans tush actually goes past the line and ends up on it at the end, hogans right hip comes out toward the ball more and the hips are generally pushing out more rather than back. Obviously worked pretty well.
[/quote]

Don't see Hogan leaving the tush line at all. In fact he didn't leave it at all, whether towards the target line nor towards the opposite direction. That means he never did lift his spine or upper center at all until way past impact. It remained still.

On the other hand, Mahan had to make his L hip way farther from the target line or tush line. Know why? If he didn't he will whiff the ball. That's why also Mahan can't fire those hips. It will make him whiff the ball more. I mean, he will hit the ball more on the heel of the clubface.

[/quote]

[/quote]

Look at the frames after impact and especially the finish. Is Hogan's left hip against the red "tush" line? No, it is well off.

8.5* Nike Vapor Speed - 7m3
15* Cobra Amp Cell - Fubuki 70x
18* Adams A12 - GD DI 85x
20* Adams Super 9031 - UST VTS 100x
54*, 58* Nike VR Forged
5-PW Mizuno MP64 - PXi 6.0

[quote name='rok78' timestamp='1341777257' post='5237886']
[/quote]

[/quote]

Look at the frames after impact and especially the finish. Is Hogan's left hip against the red "tush" line? No, it is well off.
[/quote]

It gets off only when Hogan's R arm is already parallel to the ground after impact. Doesn't matter at that time. At that time he's standing up already, prolly to protect his old bum L knee.

Look at his videos during his younger years, such as this Mexico footage. Maybe Anthony can draw lines using this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nWLLPKiSMRk&feature=youtube_gdata_player