TaylorMade V Steel

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The club is absolutely amazing. IMO one of the best if not the best fairway woods out there. I was in a bad situation after a drive on a par 5 (487 yards out) I hit something and it kicked way backwards up by a tee box. This was back when I had no 3 wood. So I hit my v-steel 5 wood to try and get somewhere down the fairway to hopefully make par. I ended up hitting it 305 yards off of the deck!!! No joke at all. It was downwind about 10 mph. As soon as I find a v-steel 3 wood for a good enough price its going in the bag. Anybody looking for a good fairway wood that is easy to hit should go for a v-steel.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

great 3 wood from the deck, especially tight lies. just picked up a 15* 3-wood and have used it for 2 rounds and am very impressed. i like the stock true temper dynamic golf lite s300 shaft. i am able to get a high penetrating ball flight. don't care for it much off the tee, but i don't use a 3 wood off the tee normally.

[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]nike covert tour 2.0 w/ diamana blueboard 83[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]nike sq 2 tour 15* w/ ust v2 95 tour[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]adams idea pro tour 18* w/ fujikura 904hb[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]adams idea pro tour 22* w/ fujikura 904hb[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]nike pro combo tour 4-pw[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]titliest vokey sm5 52*[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]titliest vokey sm5 58*[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]scotty cameron newport beach[/size][/font][/color]

• 4 weeks later...

Just starting out I use a 3-wood off the tee and the V-Steel performed perfectly for me last time out. I am able to get the ball up fairly well and since using it I have lost my slice and found a bit of an occasional hook. But I liked it so much I went out and grabbed a 5-wood.

My only regret is that I didn't get a 4 instead of a 3.

I have both the 4 & 7 wood and these things will never leave my bag. I have wanted badly to find a fww that I could hit off the deck and teed up. I will look no further, the v-steel fullfils this role. In the past I raved about how sorry the stock shafts are in this wood, but just the other day I gave it one more try and I was money. However, I do have an NV 75 stiff in my 7 wood which is getting installed at this point, and I'm dying to get back from the pro shop. The best feature about this fww is the sole plate, which is raised a bit. IMO the plate makes this club the most forgiving fww on the market.

In 2-3 years I believe people will still be raving about this gem, like they still do about the Callaway Steelheads. TaylorMade nailed it.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

What can I say that hasn't already been said about the v-steel? This club rocks. I have it in 13* and 15* 3-woods (which I interchange) and 5-wood. One flaw, and I'm being nit-picky...the stock shaft has got to go. I reshafted my 13* with Fujikura VistaPro Seventy and its perfect...tighter dispersion, better ball flight, more solid feel. Stock shaft feels a bit inconsistent.

• 2 weeks later...

I just replaced my v-steel 5 wood with steel shaft that I absolutely thought was the best club ever, with an identical v-steel 5 wood with the Aldila NV 65(yes 65) and I cannot believe how much better it is. I think lite shafts in fairways are the new way to go, the ball flight was just amazing.

V-STEEL is a bomber and wish it never gets discontinued.

• 3 months later...

I currently have the 5 and 7 wood, but they are both for sale. I like them, but I never had enough consistency. I think it's my fault for buying the stiff graphite shaft. I've heard the stock shafts are junk, and plus, I have a swing speed in the low-mid 90s so I should probably be using regular flex. That said, they're still awesome off the tee; I just didn't hit them the best off the deck.

Just picked up the 13* 3wood with NV 65-stiff and 18* 5 wood with NV 65-stiff on EBAY. Tee'd one up on my last round to test the 3wood. Took a nice easy swing into the wind and hit it 240. They look nice next to big bro R5 N with GD YS6+ xstiff.

Would recommend.

TM R5 N with Graphite Design YS6+ xstiff

TM VSteel 13* 3 wood with Aldila NV65 stiff

TM Vsteel 18* 5 wood with Aldila NV65 stiff

Ping G2 irons

Cleveland CG10 Black Pearl 52*, 56*, 60* wedges

Scotty Cameron American Classic III Heavy putter

Ogio Vaporlite Bag

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I absolutely love the v-steels. They are my favorite clubs period. I wavered when my shaft broke to an r7 3 wood but switched back after a couple of months. The v-steel is just better. I cannot say enough about it. I really like the DG Lite steel shafts too. There is no shaft like them available anywhere. Light and steel = great. Crazy, but they are being discontinued. In fact, many stores don't have them anymore.

• 3 weeks later...

I had an ebay vender send me a 21* with the stock stiff shaft because I screwed up & accidently bought out a left handed TM 540 21*. I hated this club & it was probable because of the crappy shaft. It was hard to to hit straight & extremely inconsistant in distance. Sometimes it would go 180 yards, other times 220.

I sold it & bought a Sonartec NP-99 21* & couldn't be happier, much better club with qaulity components.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Ive had my 15 for around half a year now and i love it. Great club in general, hits awsome from the tee box and is a breeze to hit from the fairway. I get a great ball flight and love the feel. The stock taylormade shaft is decent but i wouldnt mind switching to a fuji or a proforce :rolleyes:

HIGHLY reccomended

• 4 weeks later...

The easiest three wood I've ever hit. More forgiving on off-center hits. Smooth. Sexy sound too.

Larger head promotes confidence.

Just wish I would have put one of these in the bag sooner.

Picked mine up for $88 plus shipping on eBay, brand new.

If you are in the market for a forgiving fairway wood, these must be considered.

Not sure about the shaft, but as far as being closed goes, my T/S 13 degree is definitely more closed than my T-60 15 degree. I feel that the T-60 sits square so I would guess that the T/S sits at least a couple of degrees closed. A little too closed for my liking.

WITB
Sim 9° Diamana Limited 
TM M3 15°
Adams Idea Pro 22°
Hogan Icons 4-P
Titleist SM8 50° 54° 60°
Callaway MD4 64°
Ping Sigma Darby

• 5 months later...

I use the V-Steel 5 wood, 18 degree, stock TM graphite shaft- stiff flex and absolutely love it :beruo:

I generally have issues with fairway woods but the V-steel just seams to work for me. I've tried a bunch; Titleist, Nickent, Callaway, Orlimar, Cobra, etc.. and none compare to my - steel. I can work the ball pretty well with is and it comes off the club face hot every time.

Adams 9015D 9.5 (Black Tie)
Tour edge XCG7 (11.5)
Tour edge cb2 (16.5)
Adams XTD Ti 20
Cleveland 588 CB (4-P)
Nike Raw 54,58
TP Mill Workshop IV

Not sure about the shaft, but as far as being closed goes, my T/S 13 degree is definitely more closed than my T-60 15 degree. I feel that the T-60 sits square so I would guess that the T/S sits at least a couple of degrees closed. A little too closed for my liking.

No idea on a number but it no doubt sits closed.

You guys sure about that?

The TM website lists it as square, unless of course I am reading it wrong

http://www.taylormadegolf.com/product_deta...=specifications

I've since bought a tour issue T/S 13 degree and it sits very square. My stock V-Steel did sit slightly closed though. I couldn't hit it without missing it left. The Tour issue one is tons better. It's a 13 degree also and is just as long as my driver, believe it or not. Longest 3 wood I've ever hit without a doubt. I don't even hit my driver any more! LOL!!!!!

WITB
Sim 9° Diamana Limited 
TM M3 15°
Adams Idea Pro 22°
Hogan Icons 4-P
Titleist SM8 50° 54° 60°
Callaway MD4 64°
Ping Sigma Darby

• 8 months later...

Old club, but new for me.

I recently picked up two- 15* 3wd with Reg Steel and an 18* 5wd with Stiff Steel. Both had the Taylormade True Temper Dynamic Gold Lite shaft.

15*- I think I may have played/ranged it a little too far forward in my stance. I hit it left of left with a leftward spin to the left . . . more than likely just a ball position problem. On the range, I tried it out teed up and off the mat, still left. I don't really hit any club with that much hook . . . I did eventually catch a few pure and they went straight with a decent trajectory and landed about where I hoped- maybe a touch short.

18*- It might just be the stiff flex shaft (I went regular in the 3wd hoping to hit it higher), but every shot is very good to great. I get a nice medium high flight and it lands at a consistent distance ~225 range. I hit a few really high off the deck and they landed shorter ~200+ or so. No leftward tendencies with this club at all.

My swing is in better shape than it has ever been. The 15* I'll give another go before ditching (I'd just leave a gap in my bag for now) or reshafting it (maybe a Vista Tour 60 or V2 65g). The 18* is a gamer for me and fills the 215+ gap for me perfectly (I've been flying my 3i about 205 lately).

Overall, a little sad I didn't pick up a V-Steel a couple of years ago . . . but then again I would bought graphite back then and probably would not have liked either of them- had more of an in to out swing path with a strong grip so my misses were dead pulls and crazy hooks.