2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Hogan leverage magic - Pitch to punch elbow = 3 right hands wish??

Please stick with me for this post. Sorry it's a little long but I honestly think its high quality:

In 5L, Hogan talks about wanting 3 right hands. People obivously read into this different ways. I always just thought it was interesting. But now I think I get what he really ment - go from pitch to punch in the downswing. Hear me out.

Hogan is very pitch elbow at the top of the swing/transition. That's true across all of his eras. We can all agree on that (I think). But post accident Hogan starts to get into punch elbow just before impact. Similar to pre-Harmon G Woodland: [media=]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5HCstB5T9j0[/media]

[media=]

[/media]

(note: Matteo also goes from pitch to punch in DS, and just happens to have a beautiful and arguably the best release/swing on tour)

Now contrast this to 2012 Tiger, who is pitch elbow for the entire downswing and through impact:

(sorry too many media links, but we should all know this IMO)

Obviously Tiger has some issues post impact and dumps leverage (my definition: arms down/in club out from DTL perspective). Where as Hogan, Woodland, and Matteo don't.

OK so now back to 3 right hands. If you go from pitch to punch into and through the impact area (which come to think of it is really just internal right shoulder rotation, right?), you can apply a lot of speed to your right hand. You can easily feel this with no club - just get into delivery at pitch then switch to punch as fast as possible.

Now, let's contrast this with staying pitch the whole way. You can come close to applying as much speed. The only apply speed option is straiten right arm and drive right elbow toward navel (which post-accident Hogan NEVER did through impact).

Also note that the grip "turns the corner hard while going from pitch to punch, and you can apply plently of speed without right arm straitening, which post accident Hogan always did.

So I guess what Hogan ment when he said he wanted 3 right hands is he wanted stronger right shoulder muscles so he could internally rotate his right shoulder HARD into impact. Also note that the right hand was just along for the right, it wasn't applying any funny business to the club (I don't believe Hogan had to actively use his hands to square the club, I think he swung in a way that forced his hands into club-squaring submission, i.e., they hand no choice given his pivot and arm swing).

So what do you all think? I think this is pretty AWESOME, but I'm frequently full of AWFUL ideas :(

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This has been discussed a bit before, and IIRC pitch at P6 had more to do with simple definitions (side of hip vs in front). Tough to see sometimes because the body is moving out of the way from a face-on view but Hogan's is still in front.

Quote* "(I don't believe Hogan had to actively use his hands to square the club, I think he swung in a way that forced his hands into club-squaring submission, i.e., they hand no choice given his pivot and arm swing)."

This [i]may[/i] be true but I still think supination was key for him. L elbow at finish is different than Gary

Like his swing the best of the long hitters still

For what it is worth, I don't see the value in questioning the meaning of what Hogan wrote. He never seemed like a cat who would mince words or speak in metaphor. Take what he wrote at face value and it should either mean something or not. There have been a lot of Hogan posts lately, with a lot of folks talking about what "was really meant" and using "feel is not real" as a theoretical premise. That might be true for the player with the original swing, but I suspect it works in reverse for those trying to copy it. "What was said," is what WAS really meant. Be more literal in your interpretation, because the feel is generated by these statements, and is the key component.

Only my opinion.

Titleist Tsi3 9/Tensei White 65x

Titleist Tsi2 16.5/Tensei White 75x

Titleist 818 h2 21/Tensei White 95x

Mizuno Mp-20 mb 4-Pw/Dynamic Gold 120x

Mizuno T22 50, 54, 58/Dynamic Gold s400

Bettinardi Studio Stock #8

Titleist ProV1x

[quote name='MadGolfer76' timestamp='1344996999' post='5473626']
For what it is worth, I don't see the value in questioning the meaning of what Hogan wrote. He never seemed like a cat who would mince words or speak in metaphor. Take what he wrote at face value and it should either mean something or not. There have been a lot of Hogan posts lately, with a lot of folks talking about what "was really meant" and using "feel is not real" as a theoretical premise. That might be true for the player with the original swing, but I suspect it works in reverse for those trying to copy it. "What was said," is what WAS really meant. Be more literal in your interpretation, because the feel is generated by these statements, and is the key component.

Only my opinion.
[/quote]

I agree and that's what I'm trying to do here. 3 right hands and "hitting it hard" is pretty vague. Trying to tie his feelings to realities of his swing.

[quote name='tylerdurden' timestamp='1344997569' post='5473680']

Only my opinion.
[/quote]

I agree and that's what I'm trying to do here. 3 right hands and "hitting it hard" is pretty vague. Trying to tie his feelings to realities of his swing.
[/quote]

What if it isn't vague, though? That is my point. Just another way of thinking of things. What actually happens if you are:

1) Hitting it hard

and

2) Hitting with the right hand involved

Goes against conventional wisdom, but there haven't been many successful stories of people realizing a Hogan-like swing by superimposing conventional swing theory with Hogan's actual words. Folks look for a position, rather than a feel. A feel is not a "punch elbow" etc. A feel, even if discussed in terms of a specific body part, is still a full body effect. When Hogan states "Hit it hard" or "3 right hands," he is painting a picture of a full body reaction and not a localized point.

That brings back my point that I think you are being too specific in looking at the Hogan swing. Sometimes when you look at a genius work of art (Hogan's swing, for example) the only way to digest it is all at once. The pieces don't always make sense in and of themselves, and can be interpreted any number of ways. People spend years trying to make meaning of art, when the only meaning there ever was is in the core expression. I think Hogan's swing needs to be looked at in a similar way.

Okay, off topic post ended.

Titleist Tsi3 9/Tensei White 65x

Titleist Tsi2 16.5/Tensei White 75x

Titleist 818 h2 21/Tensei White 95x

Mizuno Mp-20 mb 4-Pw/Dynamic Gold 120x

Mizuno T22 50, 54, 58/Dynamic Gold s400

Bettinardi Studio Stock #8

Titleist ProV1x

IMO, he didn't go from pitch to punch because his R elbow is still in front of his torso (not on the side per strict TGM definition of pitch vs punch). It just goes "less pitched". And IMO the only reason for this is the pivot engaging, hence the pivot/torso/shoulders being slightly ahead now of the arms/elbows/hands/club during transition. So naturally, the R elbow becomes behind a bit as well, hence less in front. Plus, IMO, Hogan's hands are nearer his pelvis/body at address post-secret. Naturally, his R elbow will be nearer overall at any stage of the swing. Hence, it will be more "behind" when the pivot engages in the DS and look closer to the body/R hip/side of torso.

If you deliberately make the R elbow more into punch in transition, you will also move your R wrist/palm/hand sorta pushing the grip/shaft out, you lose the L wrist c0ck and close the face immediately, you cast, you get steep, you don't get the hands and clubhead down and behind you, respectively, to the elbow plane. In other words, I think the R elbow should be kept relatively still from the top. The pivot engaging and the R forearm dropping down to elbow plane makes it look like its now in sorta punch. JMHO, of course.

Re the topic, IMO, it is necessary that you are in pitch elbow to be able to use the 3 R hands' power at impact zone. At impact zone. If you're in punch elbow, you are forced to use the 3 R hands immediately in transition. Got to be after transition. Got to start when you're in elbow plane already, right after transition. Problem is how to get down to elbow plane. And turning the shoulder level ain't gonna do it.

[quote name='greens hit' timestamp='1345002130' post='5474110']
Dude, he's pitch all the way. BTW OP, how have you done in your tournaments since you found the "secret"?
[/quote]

Agree with you. He just "sorta" or "looks like" more punch, but actually its just less pitch and the pivot engaging and getting ahead a bit. But R elbow still in front of torso, not on the side.

[quote name='hogangolf101' timestamp='1345001410' post='5474046']
IMO, he didn't go from pitch to punch because his R elbow is still in front of his torso (not on the side per strict TGM definition of pitch vs punch). It just goes "less pitched". And IMO the only reason for this is the pivot engaging, hence the pivot/torso/shoulders being slightly ahead now of the arms/elbows/hands/club during transition. So naturally, the R elbow becomes behind a bit as well, hence less in front. Plus, IMO, Hogan's hands are nearer his pelvis/body at address post-secret. Naturally, his R elbow will be nearer overall at any stage of the swing. Hence, it will be more "behind" when the pivot engages in the DS and look closer to the body/R hip/side of torso.

If you deliberately make the R elbow more into punch in transition, you will also move your R wrist/palm/hand sorta pushing the grip/shaft out, you lose the L wrist c0ck and close the face immediately, you cast, you get steep, you don't get the hands and clubhead down and behind you, respectively, to the elbow plane. In other words, I think the R elbow should be kept relatively still from the top. The pivot engaging and the R forearm dropping down to elbow plane makes it look like its now in sorta punch. JMHO, of course.
[/quote]

OK maybe I didn't explain this well.

I'm saying he is very pitch elbow at top of swing and LATE into downswing. He was always pitch elbow, even pre secret (actually pre secret he was insanely pitch elbow - his elbow was getting to his navel into impact).

My point is through impact he is much less pitch, i.e., he is almost punch at inpact (note by much, I mean his right shoulder has internally rotated, I don't mean his elbow is behind him, it's more in front/to the side than behind).

HG101, you disagree with this?

I mean how is this pitch at impact?? (based on my definition)
[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4DCZuAj5Mg&list=FLbAQrm62MeRt4pCeJq5twdA&index=151&feature=plpp_video"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4DCZuAj5Mg&list=FLbAQrm62MeRt4pCeJq5twdA&index=151&feature=plpp_video[/url]

[quote name='hogangolf101' timestamp='1345001579' post='5474060']
Re the topic, IMO, it is necessary that you are in pitch elbow to be able to use the 3 R hands' power at impact zone. At impact zone. If you're in punch elbow, you are forced to use the 3 R hands immediately in transition. Got to be after transition. Got to start when you're in elbow plane already, right after transition. Problem is how to get down to elbow plane. And turning the shoulder level ain't gonna do it.
[/quote]

I agree with most of this this (but lets please not talk about level shoulders in EVERY SINGLE POST).

That was really my point - you are pitch late into DS which lets you internally rotate the shoulder through impact (which is what I mean by punch)

[quote name='greens hit' timestamp='1345002130' post='5474110']
Dude, he's pitch all the way. BTW OP, how have you done in your tournaments since you found the "secret"?
[/quote]

What's you definition of pitch? Externally rotated right shoulder? I'm not familiar with TGM nonsense.

Anyway, I don't see how anyone could say his right shoulder doesn't get internally rotated here:

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4DCZuAj5Mg&list=FLbAQrm62MeRt4pCeJq5twdA&index=151&feature=plpp_video"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4DCZuAj5Mg&list=FLbAQrm62MeRt4pCeJq5twdA&index=151&feature=plpp_video[/url]

In terms of me finding the secret, once again I believe that was me being a 100% bone head. My idea was completely BS and I didn't know sh*t, probably still don't.

I haven't played tournaments because I've been burning my swing down. I actually haven't played hardly at all. I've been an absolute range rat (hit balls every day during the week after work, and put in LONG sessions every day on the weekends).

Good news is I've learn a lot more (although half of it is probably nonsense) and swing has gotten a lot better (IMO).

[quote name='Jobu' timestamp='1345009705' post='5474502']
IMO the 3rd hand is a reference to the potential power of a swing if one were to have a third hand. sorta like a trigger at the top of the swing.
[/quote]

I should've left my 3rd hand comment out of it. My main point was he goes from very pitch to less pitch/punch LATE in the DS. In other words, if you try to stay full pitch the whole way, your release will suck just like tigers with the driver.

[quote name='nicebutdim' timestamp='1345024020' post='5474828']
Hogan states very clearly in 5 lessons that once initial hip rotation has brought the hands back down to hip high all he thinks about is the HIT.............. now I imagine a boxer would prefer to punch someone with the force of three arms, wouldn't you agree?
[/quote]

Same think I've been saying, should've left out the 3rd hands comment. I just mean he goes from very pitch to less pitch more punch late in DS/into impact.

[quote name='MadGolfer76' timestamp='1344999102' post='5473824']
[quote name='tylerdurden' timestamp='1344997569' post='5473680']

Only my opinion.
[/quote]

[/quote]

What if it isn't vague, though? That is my point. Just another way of thinking of things. What actually happens if you are:

1) Hitting it hard

and

2) Hitting with the right hand involved

Goes against conventional wisdom, but there haven't been many successful stories of people realizing a Hogan-like swing by superimposing conventional swing theory with Hogan's actual words. Folks look for a position, rather than a feel. A feel is not a "punch elbow" etc. A feel, even if discussed in terms of a specific body part, is still a full body effect. When Hogan states "Hit it hard" or "3 right hands," he is painting a picture of a full body reaction and not a localized point.

That brings back my point that I think you are being too specific in looking at the Hogan swing. Sometimes when you look at a genius work of art (Hogan's swing, for example) the only way to digest it is all at once. The pieces don't always make sense in and of themselves, and can be interpreted any number of ways. People spend years trying to make meaning of art, when the only meaning there ever was is in the core expression. I think Hogan's swing needs to be looked at in a similar way.

Okay, off topic post ended.
[/quote]

I dunno I guess I kinda agree with some of this but I don't know how practical it is. I'm not going to just throw in the towel and drink wine while watching videos of Hogan's swing taking in the art of it. I'll always try to break it down and understand it and use whatever I can.

[quote name='chrisgilly09' timestamp='1344994861' post='5473384']
[b]This has been discussed a bit before, and IIRC pitch at P6 had more to do with simple definitions (side of hip vs in front). Tough to see sometimes because the body is moving out of the way from a face-on view but Hogan's is still in front.[/b]

Quote* "(I don't believe Hogan had to actively use his hands to square the club, I think he swung in a way that forced his hands into club-squaring submission, i.e., they hand no choice given his pivot and arm swing)."

This [i]may[/i] be true but I still think supination was key for him. L elbow at finish is different than Gary

[/quote]

Sorry, I don't follow your bolded section and don't know what IIRC stands for. Could you please clarify?

[quote name='tylerdurden' timestamp='1345037285' post='5475536']
[quote name='chrisgilly09' timestamp='1344994861' post='5473384']
[b]This has been discussed a bit before, and IIRC pitch at P6 had more to do with simple definitions (side of hip vs in front). Tough to see sometimes because the body is moving out of the way from a face-on view but Hogan's is still in front.[/b]

[/quote]

Sorry, I don't follow your bolded section and don't know what IIRC stands for. Could you please clarify?
[/quote]

IIRC-If I recall/remember correctly.

Just for the record, I also believe he's pitch all the way.

The answer to better golf is hit it better, farther, and make more putts.

[quote name='tylerdurden' timestamp='1345037050' post='5475504']
[quote name='nicebutdim' timestamp='1345024020' post='5474828']
Hogan states very clearly in 5 lessons that once initial hip rotation has brought the hands back down to hip high all he thinks about is the HIT.............. now I imagine a boxer would prefer to punch someone with the force of three arms, wouldn't you agree?
[/quote]

Same think I've been saying, should've left out the 3rd hands comment. I just mean he goes from very pitch to less pitch more punch late in DS/into impact.
[/quote]

You shouldn't leave out the 3 hands comment.......... its obviously important.

Does Hogan go from very pitch to less pitch then punch? I honestly don't know but I can see what you're saying as the hands pass rapidly across his chi area and get very in front of him............ what I now do know is that Hogan definitely HITS the ball through the impact zone, and isn't all passive with the arms........... been staring me in the face.

We've all seen this video a hundred times but just watch Hogan's practice swing at 0.37!........... he demonstrates his hip led sequencing and then Wooosh! He powers the arms through............. what a sound!!

[media=]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wpyAXvIDYw[/media]

The "3 right hands" comment is too often taken as a stand alone, when in fact, in 5L it has very relevent context that is too easily forgotten:

[color="#000000"]T[/color]
[quote]
[color="#000000"]The great value, as I see it, of thinking in terms of this joint two[size=2]-[/size]hand action is that it keeps the left hand driving all the time. During this climactic part of the swing, the left wrist and the back of the left hand begin to supinate very slightly—that is, to turn from a position where the palm is down to a position where the palm is up. They continue to supinate throughout the rest of the swing. The sequence drawings below will describe the exact nature of this gradual supination much more clearly than words can.[/color]

[color="#000000"]In the sequence below, there is one position of such signal importance that it warrants closeup study. This is the position of the left wrist and hand at the actual moment of impact.[/color]

[color="#000000"]AT IMPACT THE BACK OF THE LEFT HAND FACES TOWARD YOUR TARGET. THE WRIST[size=2]-[/size]BONE IS DEFINITELY RAISED. IT POINTS TO THE TARGET AND, AT THE MOMENT THE BALL IS CONTACTED, IT IS OUT IN FRONT, NEARER TO THE TARGET THAN ANY PART OF THE HAND. When the left wrist is in this position, the left hand will not check or interrupt the speed with which your clubhead is traveling. There’s no danger either that the right hand will overpower the left and twist the club over. It can’t. As far as applying power goes, I wish that I had three right hands![/color]
[/quote]
[color="#000000"][/color]

Caps are exactly as in the book (Hogan's emphasis).

[quote name='hoganfan924' timestamp='1345041293' post='5475918']
The "3 right hands" comment is too often taken as a stand alone, when in fact, in 5L it has very relevent context that is too easily forgotten:

[color=#000000]T[/color]
[quote]
[color=#000000]The great value, as I see it, of thinking in terms of this joint two[size=2]-[/size]hand action is that it keeps the left hand driving all the time. During this climactic part of the swing, the left wrist and the back of the left hand begin to supinate very slightly—that is, to turn from a position where the palm is down to a position where the palm is up. They continue to supinate throughout the rest of the swing. The sequence drawings below will describe the exact nature of this gradual supination much more clearly than words can.[/color]

[color=#000000]In the sequence below, there is one position of such signal importance that it warrants closeup study. This is the position of the left wrist and hand at the actual moment of impact.[/color]

[color=#000000]AT IMPACT THE BACK OF THE LEFT HAND FACES TOWARD YOUR TARGET. THE WRIST[size=2]-[/size]BONE IS DEFINITELY RAISED. IT POINTS TO THE TARGET AND, AT THE MOMENT THE BALL IS CONTACTED, IT IS OUT IN FRONT, NEARER TO THE TARGET THAN ANY PART OF THE HAND. When the left wrist is in this position, the left hand will not check or interrupt the speed with which your clubhead is traveling. There’s no danger either that the right hand will overpower the left and twist the club over. It can’t. As far as applying power goes, I wish that I had three right hands![/color]
[/quote]

[/quote]

Thanks HF. Do you agree that Hogan was very pitch at top, transition and most of downswing but then was less pitch/more punch into and through impact? I'd love to hear your take please.

Hogan was pitch elbow the whole way. Certainly less extreme into the downswing later in his career, but since "pitch and punch" are TGM definitions, I don't believe there is any such thing as going from pitch to punch half way into the downswing. Extreme pitch is difficult to maintain as you get fatter, older and less flexible. Remember Hogan had huge calcium deposits at the tops of both A/C joints that grew after the accident per Vasquez. Tom Bertrand says that Hogan couldn't set up with his elbows close together after the accident because it was too painful. Perhaps the explanation is that simple. Perhaps this ended up being an advantage, perhaps not.

TD--I'm just saying that pitch at p6 is always gonna be classified as such. If the elbow gets in front of the R hip (face on camera view) then it's pitch, punch at p6 would have the elbow a lil farther back, or more to the side of the hip.

I know why Hogan looks pitch to punch but he's pitch all the way

[quote name='chrisgilly09' timestamp='1345046229' post='5476474']
TD--I'm just saying that pitch at p6 is always gonna be classified as such. If the elbow gets in front of the R hip (face on camera view) then it's pitch, punch at p6 would have the elbow a lil farther back, or more to the side of the hip.

I know why Hogan looks pitch to punch but he's pitch all the way
[/quote]

Cool thanks. I guess I don't get TGM definition. Either way it looks like his right shoulder is internally rotated after impact. If that's still pitch according to TGM, fine. [b]I guess this is an important realization for me though (i think) because was trying to feel like the right shoulder was externally rotated all the way through impact. [/b]

[b]I'm not saying I want the elbow behind or on the side, I just don't think externally rotated right shoulder all the way through impact spells trouble.[/b]

@Tylerdurden

You are using the terms "pitch" and "punch" elbow to learn/study about Hogan and then you call TGM nonsense? I don't get it. The terms "pitch" and "punch" elbows are invented by TGM. Then they became of widespread use. That's quite "sorta" hypocritical for me, IMHO. That is why I have so much respect for TGM because they have brought out variables/options that would not have otherwise been available to golfers for analyzing purposes.

Anyway...TGM defines punch as on the side of the torso, pitch otherwise. That's what Gilly09 is saying (Gilly please correct me if I'm wrong). If you want to re-define punch elbow as being IRRS, why not just say IRRS instead of punch elbow?

IMO, you have to know what shot Hogan is hitting in the pics/vids you are analyzing. Lets say a fade vs a draw. Hogan's hips will be more in extension/open/ahead for a fade, IMO, so naturally it will look less pitch or look like its already in punch (relative to the side of the torso). But actually its just that the hips are more open relative to the torso. The torso reference point shouldn't change. So even if it now looks on the side of the hips, its actually still in front of the torso, not on the side of the torso, not below the R shoulder. If its a draw, where the hips turns later/slower/less aggressively, it will look more pitch rather than punch because the hips are less open relative to the torso/R shoulder. Maybe a better definition of punch vs pitch should be whether the R elbow is directly below the R shoulder along the axis of the vertical spine/torso looking at the torso/R shoulder DTL.

So, IMO, Hogan went from pitch to less pitched or more like looking punch. People that needs to get into true punch (R elbow directly below the R shoulder) needs it as a compensation or to correct an over plane clubhead. An alternative to humping the goat or lifting the head/upper center. Like pulling the clubhead so that you won't whiff or shank or hit the ball on the heel of the clubface.

Did Hogan internally rotated his R shoulder? Mmmmmmm...have you ever tried having a pitch elbow on top of BS, then unbend the R elbow in DS while keeping the R shoulder externally rotated? You just can't, otherwise your L hand will come off the R hand. You don't have to intend the IRRS though.

[quote name='hoganfan924' timestamp='1345041293' post='5475918']

[color=#000000]T[/color]
[quote]
[color=#000000]The great value, as I see it, of thinking in terms of this joint two[size=2]-[/size]hand action is that it keeps the left hand driving all the time. During this climactic part of the swing, the left wrist and the back of the left hand begin to supinate very slightly—that is, to turn from a position where the palm is down to a position where the palm is up. They continue to supinate throughout the rest of the swing. The sequence drawings below will describe the exact nature of this gradual supination much more clearly than words can.[/color]

[color=#000000]In the sequence below, there is one position of such signal importance that it warrants closeup study. This is the position of the left wrist and hand at the actual moment of impact.[/color]

[color=#000000]AT IMPACT THE BACK OF THE LEFT HAND FACES TOWARD YOUR TARGET. THE WRIST[size=2]-[/size]BONE IS DEFINITELY RAISED. IT POINTS TO THE TARGET AND, AT THE MOMENT THE BALL IS CONTACTED, IT IS OUT IN FRONT, NEARER TO THE TARGET THAN ANY PART OF THE HAND. When the left wrist is in this position, the left hand will not check or interrupt the speed with which your clubhead is traveling. There’s no danger either that the right hand will overpower the left and twist the club over. It can’t. As far as applying power goes, I wish that I had three right hands![/color]
[/quote]

[/quote]

i'll stand by my interpretation. He basically goes off on a tangent when he makes that comment at the end. He cleary didn't want to flip the club over, so why would he want the force of three right hands? if Hogan had a helping hand, he could create a torsion with his body and build up a ton of potential energy on the backswing.