Best Driver of 2019 | Full Article _HERE_ | Discussion Thread _HERE_

Distance Limiting Golf Balls

Billy MadisonBilly Madison Members Posts: 13
I have been reading a lot of back and forth about possible bifurcation of golf balls between amateurs and pros.

I was wondering if anyone knows of any current balls on the market that limit a players distance by 15-25% ?

I play a short 9 hole course by my house and I am down to 5i/sand wedge on even the longest holes. I would love to hit a driver/wood with a reduced ball so I could play the course as it was originally laid out.

Comments

• forefore Members Posts: 1,354 ✭✭
    edited Aug 15, 2012 #2
    Cayman golf balls have pimples instead of dimples and are said to travel half the distance of a regular ball.

or

These
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • Billy MadisonBilly Madison Members Posts: 13
    edited Aug 15, 2012 #4
    Cayman Golf is either out of business or the worst marketing company I have ever seen. Haven't found any online for sale. Ebay had some, price 1 ball= $20

Thanks Dangolf, those balls look perfect, but I don't know if I can go 25 dozen deep. If they are $4 a dozen or less I'd do it. I'm going to look into it.

Thanks Again

Edit: whoa those point 5 balls 2 posts up look great, def trying those out. I'll report back in a few weeks.
  • MinnesotaGolferMinnesotaGolfer Vengeance Falls Members Posts: 606
    edited Aug 15, 2012 #5
    Let me know how those work. The Par 5s at my course are to short for my Hammer X. Sometimes I have to reduce the loudness of my scream to reduce the distance i'm hitting.
    Callaway RAZR Fit 9.5*
    Callaway RAZR Fit 15*
    Callaway RAZR Fit 18*
    Adams A7 5-PW
    Ping Tour S 52,56,60
    Odyssey Versa #7
  • FLOGMRFLOGMR Members Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    I played at the Cayman course a bunch of years ago...I even have a Cayman ball for my collection.....The course was designed to be 1/2 distance and the balls go pretty much 1/2 the distance as a normal ball.....great fun to rip a 7 iron and watch it go 80 yards.

The Cayman balls float too.......part of getting them not to fly far was to make them lighter........so if you hit it into a water hazard just wait for the wind to blow it back to shore and play on image/taunt.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':taunt:' /> I guess it all seemed like a good idea at the time.......Looking back it was just stupid. image/stop.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':stop:' />
  • CourtJesterCourtJester Members Posts: 496 ✭✭
    Typically those yellow range balls are distance limited balls. I'm not sure who makes them but it's always the yellow ones and not the white Top Flite/Wilson Staff range balls.
  • WildDog06WildDog06 Members Posts: 489 ✭✭
    The local ranges around me all have gimped Srixon balls
  • MtlJeffMtlJeff MontrealMembers Posts: 28,706 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    they are easy to find, just hang around golf courses and be as attentive as possible. When you finally see a shot hit by someone and don't hear Jack Nicklaus complain out loud for several minutes, that player is using a distance limiting ball
    Ping G400 Max 10 w/ Matrix Black Tie 80
    Callaway Epic Subzero 14* w/Matrix Black Tie 80
    Callaway Apex Hybrid 20 w/S300
    Ping G410 4-SW w/S300
    Callaway MD 2.0 60 PM grind w/S300
    Odyssey O-works Red Tank #7
  • GuiaGuia Members Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
  • SeattleRyanSeattleRyan Members Posts: 49

Let me know how those work. The Par 5s at my course are to short for my Hammer X. Sometimes I have to reduce the loudness of my scream to reduce the distance i'm hitting.

That made me LOL image/laugh.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':lol:' />
  • crapulacrapula Golf! Members Posts: 1,786 ✭✭
    edited Aug 15, 2012 #12
    This goes along with my indoor short bumper golf course idea.

You have to use distance limiting balls because a par 5 is only 250 yards and a long par 3 is 120 yards. But the real fun is there is no out of bounds and even the worst golfers can still get a strike and bowl 300.

It's the way of the future when land is no longer available and the only place to build courses is underground shared with the lizard people.

I think it will be awesome when the 300 yard drive changes to the 150 yard drive. People will talk about golfers in the past driving the ball 300 yards and children will think you are just as crazy as your parents that had to walk to school uphill both ways blah blah blah, and had to carry around a smart phone in your purse instead of directly attaching it to your colon.
    Srixon Z 785 9.5 Project X HC HZRDUS Yellow 6.0
    Srixon Z F85 13.5 Project X HC HZRDUS Yellow 6.0
    Srixon Z H85 16 Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0
    Srixon Z 785 3-PW KBS Tour 120 S
    Cleveland RTX-3 52, 58 KBS Tour 120 S
    Odyssey Toulon Memphis Stroke Lab
    Srixon Yellow ZStar XV
  • VindogVindog Don't order the schnitzel. They're using schnauzer! Members Posts: 17,760 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

MtlJeff wrote:

they are easy to find, just hang around golf courses and be as attentive as possible. When you finally see a shot hit by someone and don't hear Jack Nicklaus complain out loud for several minutes, that player is using a distance limiting ball

quality image/laugh.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':lol:' />
    run of the mill driver with stock shaft
    a couple of outdated hybrids
    shovel-ier shovels
    wedges from same shovel company
    some putter with a dead insert and
    a hideous grip
  • monkeynautmonkeynaut I'm Gonna Live Forever! But first I need to stop this bl Banned Posts: 4,132
    The hank Haney golf ranch down the road uses distance limiting Wilsons. The one time I hit there I got halfway through a bucket thinking something was wrong with me. **** near ruined my swing feel. I don't go there anymore.
    Driver Callaway Razr Fit Xtreme
    Callaway X Hot Pro 13.5* and 17* FW
    Callaway Razr X Tour 21* Hybrid
    Callaway Apex Pro 5-PW, Mizuno JPX 50*,
    Mizuno MPT-11 54*, Vokey SM4 60/10,
    Scotty Cameron Circa 62 #2
  • BewareTheGlowballBewareTheGlowball Members Posts: 596 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you don't have an expensive driver or 3 wood.. a glow ball will go about half as far as a normal ball... maybe.. 60%
    Litegolf wrote:

The new Pointfive Hybrid golf ball improves golfers swing tempo "with a less is more approach" producing a more consistant golf swing...and reducng golfer's handicaps. It shortens the standard old fashion looong learning curve and provides modern golfer's with a quick & easy way to improve their golf game...take it to the course... & actually have FUN! image/taunt.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':taunt:' />

Litegolf,

Are you with the Pointfive Company?

Just how would someone compute their handicap with a limited distance ball?
  • morebeerbettergolfmorebeerbettergolf Members Posts: 761
    I'll throw the original penta in the mix
    Litegolf wrote:

thatsone wrote:

Litegolf wrote:

The new Pointfive Hybrid golf ball improves golfers swing tempo "with a less is more approach" producing a more consistant golf swing...and reducng golfer's handicaps. It shortens the standard old fashion looong learning curve and provides modern golfer's with a quick & easy way to improve their golf game...take it to the course... & actually have FUN! image/taunt.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':taunt:' />

Litegolf,

Are you with the Pointfive Company?

Just how would someone compute their handicap with a limited distance ball?

You could say I'm the #1 Hybrid golf ball man, who has seen people struggle with their golf game. This ball simplifies the game, so you don't have to waste your time becoming a better golfer.

Simplified Hybrid Handicap Formula for shorter golf courses (Executive & Mid-distance & full sized from new forward tees)

1. Add (min. of 3) Hybrid 18-hole round scores together

2. Divide this number by amount of times played to get average Hybrid score

3.Subtract Hybrid course par from average Hybrid score to get dfference

4. Multiply difference by .90 (90%) - Based on equitable Hybrid score of golfers playing better than average

5. Result is average Hybrid handicap rounded up or down

So you figure hybrid golf is so much easier that it doesn't compare to real golf in terms of handicaps. The hybrid handicap is unique to hybrid golf.

It will be interesting to hear what Billy Madison thinks when he reports back.
  • J13J13 Dad golf Members Posts: 15,645 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I'll throw the original penta in the mix

haha. Or just use a birdie ball
    Callaway Epic Flash Triple Diamond 9* / Mitsubishi Tensei White 70TX
    Callaway EF 3+ w/ HZRDUS Black 75 6.5
    Srixon 745's 4-PW / Modus Tour 120 TX
    Callaway MD3 50, 54, 60 / Modus 125
    Odyssey Stroke Lab Double Wide Flow Neck 35.5" (counter weight removed)
    Srixon Zstar XV
    GolfWRX WITB Podcast - Irons reveal 11/14/18 http://www.golfwrx.c...utm_content=sub
    GolfWrx WITB Podcast 2017 : http://www.golfwrx.com/482668/tgtg-golfwrx-forum-member-j13-talks-witb-and-club-testing/
    WITB- http://www.golfwrx.c.../page__st__1590
  • zack175zack175 Members Posts: 400
    Are you people serious about liking to hit the ball shorter??

Are you sure you are a member of this forum

Cayman Golf is either out of business or the worst marketing company I have ever seen. Haven't found any online for sale. Ebay had some, price 1 ball= $20

Thanks Dangolf, those balls look perfect, but I don't know if I can go 25 dozen deep. If they are $4 a dozen or less I'd do it. I'm going to look into it.

Thanks Again

Edit: whoa those point 5 balls 2 posts up look great, def trying those out. I'll report back in a few weeks.

Just wondering what you thought of those point 5 balls.
  • TJCDASTJCDAS I was cured, all right! Members Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Oct 4, 2012 #22
    If they don't scale back the ball for the pros the PGA Tour no course will be playable for them. Now long irons from 250 give me a break, there will need to be 700 yard long par fives to make them hit a long iron in for a third shot on a par five.

300 yard drive, 250 yard second and 150 to the hole 700 yards.

300 yard par 3's not a short par 4 any more, 500 yard par 4's.
  • gvogelgvogel Members Posts: 7,764 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Old thread.

I played the PointFive golf ball on a par 3 course and really enjoyed it. Playing with my girlfriend, we found that we were playing the same club off of a bunch of tees, such as a 5-wood on a 140 yard hole. On the par 3 course, I got to hit driver 3 times, and a bunch of 4-woods, 5-woods and a couple 7-woods. The balls are lighter than normal, and feel lighter coming off the club face. Pitching and putting took four or five holes to figure out, but by the end of 9 my feel for shots around the green had adjusted.

I will certainly be playing this ball on the par-3 course again this fall because of the cost of playing ($12), and the amount of time to play 9 (about 1 hour 45 minutes with girlfriend and other groups in front).

Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.  P.G. Wodehouse
  • nlinneman20nlinneman20 Saint LouisMembers Posts: 209 ✭✭✭

Range balls should do it. LOL I leave the range frustrated thinking I lost power everytime when I struggle to get my drive to the 200 yard flag then I go play and the drives are 240+

I should have mentioned that the Point Five golf ball is a truly limited distance ball. For me it went about 65% to 70% of a normal golf ball.

Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.  P.G. Wodehouse
    edited Sep 12, 2019 2:37pm #26

Just wanted to say that I have now played the Point Five ball a few times. It's not real golf; the ball flies about 80% for me. But it does make an executive course a lot of fun. I can play a par 3 course even, and hit driver 3 times and lots of fairway woods.

Full disclosure: I'm 66, tore my rotator cuff over the winter (doctor still hasn't decided what to do, but we're talking), and regular golf has been painful this year. Point Five golf is not anyway near as painful. It comes off the club a lot lighter.

I could see fun competition with this ball, as long as everyone is playing it.

Point Five is to regular golf as Pickleball is to tennis.

Post edited by gvogel on

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file