Graphite shafts for wedges / your thoughts

jhf

Am thinking about trying graphite shafts in my wedges, anyone try this before, whats the minimum torque I should go for, I am switching to graphite shafted irons and they are rated at 3.8-3.5 reg. I am thinking i would want 3.5 - 2.5? Also, any idea on raising the bend point as most all graphite shafts seem to have a mid profile and I would prefer a low profile without spending a ton of money. If i buy some stiff shafts for my GW and PW what about tip trimming to 8 iron specs? would that help raise the bend point, or would i be moving the shaft into the regular stiffness range, which i dont want in my wedges.

any help or input on what you have tried would be greatly appreciated

thanks

jhf

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

no...i cant imagine playing w/o steel shafts in irons and wedges. i think graphite in wedges and i think of the 80 yr olds as my cousrse

Then why bother to comment? ;)

Miura PP-9003 PW-6 iron w/SmacWrap 780 F3

Taylormade Stealth 10.5* w/KBS TD 50 Oh, and Ventus Red "made for"

Taylormade SIM 2  21 degree w/Ventus Blue

Taylormade Stealth Rescue 22* w/Ventus Blue

Callaway X-Tour raw - 52 w/DG steel

Taylormade MYMG 3 - 56 w/KBS C-Taper Lite 

Dave Whitlam Anser 

no...i cant imagine playing w/o steel shafts in irons and wedges. i think graphite in wedges and i think of the 80 yr olds as my cousrse

Then why bother to comment? ;)

why bother to comment on my comment.

With steel shafts your gonna have more control than you would with a graphite shaft but at the same time your gonna gain a little distance. IMO control is a lot more important in wedges than distance. Depending on your SS graphite might be that way to go but steel is your best bet, id stick with the steel.

You are so very wrong. Loads of great options that are way more accurate than steel with tighter tolerances and better feel.

Prejudice seldom shows reason.

919THI 11.5° / 1° open
929hs 20° / dead square
775hs 21° & 24° & 27°
Mizuno JPX 800 Pro 6-pw
MP-T11 50° & 55° / MPT4 61°
Ping Sydney 33"

Then why bother to comment? :)

With steel shafts your gonna have more control than you would with a graphite shaft but at the same time your gonna gain a little distance. IMO control is a lot more important in wedges than distance. Depending on your SS graphite might be that way to go but steel is your best bet, id stick with the steel.

I would think that with those shorter steel shafts due to being cut down, that you would lose flex and feel. I'm sure your next set will be full size and length, then you will be able to tell the difference. ;) Until then...

Dave Whitlam Anser 

The graphite shaft technology has gotten very good in the past 4 or 5 years, as I see it, the only downside is the cost differential between steel and graphite.

I personally don't have graphite in my wedges...yet....but I'm about to change that. I have several G Loomis Tour graphite shafts for my SW and LW, we'll see how that works out. ;)

Dave Whitlam Anser 

Ok, why I am trying this.

1 Curiosity

2 I have recently switched to graphite shafts because I am thinking it may help my back last slightly longer

3 I can feel the shaft load in my hands and is much easier to control tempo ( dont think it is the bend difference between Graph/steel but may be the torque? (have tried many different flexes of both steel and Graphite, and not matter the stiffness I can sense the shaft load much easier with graphite

4 I can shape my shots better with graphite (probably related to the one above.)

5 to be different

Most of my experimenting lately has been driven by issues with my back (screwed up upper and lower vert. ) So I am trying to slow down my temp why still being competitive) if you catch me on a good day I shoot around 70, as my back goes it can balloon up to 90. I think I have found that since i cant land each shot on the same blade of grass like the people that do this for a living, accuracy loss is irrelevant as it does not seem to be noticeable at my level. That being said, I am looking for some feed back on wedges and graphite shafts as I feel wedges are a different breed to irons and woods

The graphite of today can be just as consistent and accurate as steel. There is no good reason to not go graphite if you are looking for a lighter weight and some shock absorption.

Then why bother to comment? :)

I would think that with those shorter steel shafts due to being cut down, that you would lose flex and feel. I'm sure your next set will be full size and length, then you will be able to tell the difference. ;) Until then...

lmao

I'm not sure how important torque is in graphite for wedges but I'd think that the heaver shafts would most likely be better. With the graphite shafts in my irons, I didn't have to add tip weight for swing weighting, they all came out to what they were before with S-300's. I'm convinced that graphite is every bit as good as steel but cost more. :)

There are a few in our group who use graphite in our irons, matter of fact, one guy has graphite in everything, including his putter. I like steel also, I have Proj X's, S-300's, Nippon NS Pro 950's and have used X-100's, all have their advantage. Graphite in irons is easier on my arms, shoulders, back and all, I also believe it is easier to control trajectory with graphite in comparison to steel. ;)

Dave Whitlam Anser 

Ok, why I am trying this.

1 Curiosity

2 I have recently switched to graphite shafts because I am thinking it may help my back last slightly longer

3 I can feel the shaft load in my hands and is much easier to control tempo ( dont think it is the bend difference between Graph/steel but may be the torque? (have tried many different flexes of both steel and Graphite, and not matter the stiffness I can sense the shaft load much easier with graphite

4 I can shape my shots better with graphite (probably related to the one above.)

5 to be different

Most of my experimenting lately has been driven by issues with my back (screwed up upper and lower vert. ) So I am trying to slow down my temp why still being competitive) if you catch me on a good day I shoot around 70, as my back goes it can balloon up to 90. I think I have found that since i cant land each shot on the same blade of grass like the people that do this for a living, accuracy loss is irrelevant as it does not seem to be noticeable at my level. That being said, I am looking for some feed back on wedges and graphite shafts as I feel wedges are a different breed to irons and woods

The Matrix MFS TTR 115 series is pretty good - it's played on tour, so they can't be all that bad. The Stulz shaft comes in a .370 tip size for irons...pricey though. Have you tried the e21 Scandium shafts? Not cheap, but lower torque than steel and beter at shock dampening than graphite. I tried several demos at the PGA demo day a few weeks ago in Orlando - ordered several sets for my shop.

Ok, I ended up picking up a clearance graphite shaft at golfsmith to try this out, about 90 grams and stiff with a mid kick, I tipped trimmed an 1" less to specs to help raise the bend point. Tried it at the indoor range today, and so far so good. maybe a few extra yards in distance, good trajectory, and did not have one shot balloon on me. I will know for sure once i play it out on the course and can see how in act in the real world and out of sand, along with what type of spin. I appreciate everyones help and comments.

jhf