GIVEAWAY: Vokey SM8 60* Wedge- ENTER HERE.

Ryder Cup: Olazabal made the right decisions

zakkozuchowski ·  
zakkozuchowskizakkozuchowski Former GolfWRX Editor-in-ChiefMembers  1162WRX Points: 70Posts: 1,162 Platinum Tees
<br />
<br />
Ryder Cup: Olazabal made the right decisions<br />
<br />
By Greg Moore<br />
<br />
GolfWRX Staff<br />
<br />
Sorry for you Padraig Harrington fans who wanted to see the three-time major champion make the European team for the Ryder Cup, but Jose Maria Olazabal made the right decisions for his team.<br />
Let’s dig a bit deeper into why Ian Poulter and Nicolas Colsaerts were the best (and I mean logical) selections.<br />
<br />
Colsaerts was No. 9 in European Ryder Cup points and No. 12 in World Ryder Cup points. Poulter was No. 17 in Euro Ryder Cup points and No. 11 in World Ryder Cup points. Harrington stood No. 27 and No. 19 respectively on those points lists, and there were a lot of players ahead of him that and were playing a lot better who were also left off the team.<br />
<br />
Ian Poulter<br />
<br />
Ian-Poulter-001-300x180.jpg<br />
<br />
This will be Poulter’s fourth Ryder Cup. He was on the winning teams in 2004 and 2010 and on the losing side in 2008. His record in eleven matches is eight wins and three losses. IJP is also the winner of both of 2010 WGC – Accenture Match Play and 2011 Volvo World Match Play. In the qualifying period for Ryder Cup points, Poulter has had nine top 10s including victory in the 2011 JBWere Masters.<br />
<br />
Who can forget just how fired up Poulter gets, not just in match play but for the Ryder Cup, his mates on the Euro team and his country. His singles record is 3-0-0 with wins over Chris Riley 3 & 2, Steve Stricker 3 & 2 and Matt Kuchar 5 & 4.<br />
<br />
Here's a link to IJP’s Euro Tour page http://www.europeant...2133/index.html<br />
<br />
Colsaerts_2320669b-300x187.jpg<br />
<br />
Nicolas Colsaerts<br />
<br />
He's the only rookie on the European team. He is No. 9 in the point standings. His match play record is stellar as he finished runner up in 2011 at the Volvo World Match Play and he won the Volvo World Match Play Championship in May, defeating Graeme McDowell in the finals in Spain.<br />
<br />
Link to Colsaerts Euro Tour page http://www.europeant...3456/index.html<br />
<br />
This will be the first time that the European team has been made of its 12 top players in the Official World Ranking with every player inside the top 35 in the Official Golf World Rankings.<br />
<br />
As for Harrington, he's 48th in the OWGR. So you can argue that maybe one of the others players left off like Alvaro Quiros, Marcel Siem or David Lynn should have made the team but the numbers just didn’t add up for Harrington this year.
Posted:

Comments

• spitfisherspitfisher Members  1350WRX Points: 0Posts: 1,350 BST Banned
    both of those guys Ian and Nicholas against our team, can play tough.
    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • Sean2Sean2 Members  32806WRX Points: 3,256Posts: 32,806 Titanium Tees
    I thought he made the right choice as well.
    Posted:

Treat yourself as if you were someone you are responsible for helping. Jordan Peterson

Too much sanity may be madness and the maddest thing of all is to see life as it is, and not as it should be. Cervantes

In golf, the human mind has much higher capabilities to screw things up than the physics has to make things better. Unknown

• AjitAjit Members  1392WRX Points: 45Posts: 1,392 Platinum Tees
    Harrington had no business being in the frame for a captain's pick just like he should have had no business getting a pick in 2010. He has a losing record in the Ryder Cup (despite having had some great partners) and when he was needed to lead the team in 2008, having won back to back majors, he contributed a grand total of half a point. To make matter worse he hasn't won a tournament of any significance since, er 2008!
    Posted:
  • Major9000Major9000 Members  114WRX Points: 0Posts: 114
    Lots of players better than Harrington this year. Poulter was a great choice, he will be tough in matchplay.
    Posted:
  • bullie76bullie76 Members  2301WRX Points: 239Handicap: 9Posts: 2,301 Platinum Tees
    Easy pics. Euro's have a good team.
    Posted:
    My senior bag.......
    Callaway Rogue 9 * driver & 3,5 fw woods reg
    Callaway Rogue X 4-6 hybrids reg
    Cobra SL f9 7-gap
    Callaway Mack Daddy 4 52*
    Cobra King Black  56*
    Seemore rst2 si4 putter
    Datrex 15 way IDS cart bag - black
  • BraveoneBraveone Members  137WRX Points: 1Posts: 137 Bunkers
    I'm glad Colsaerts got in the team, he really desrves it considerig how far he's come in the past 3 years.
    Posted:

Advertisement
  • Sean25rpSean25rp Members  3007WRX Points: 0Posts: 3,007
    Braveone wrote:
    <br />
    I'm glad Colsaerts got in the team, he really desrves it considerig how far he's come in the past 3 years.<br />
    <br />
    <br />
    Agreed!
    Posted:
  • lumberman2462lumberman2462 Members  5341WRX Points: 201Handicap: ?Posts: 5,341 Titanium Tees
    Since I'm an American, I don't care as much who the Euro's pick to round out the squad. I can't fault Ollie for his picks but asking Harrington to join the team in some capacity - like Sergio did a few years ago - would have been a decent thing to do. I understand Paddy & Jose don't get on well together but he's been part of a lot of Ryder Cup success and will, in all likelihood, be on the team again.
    Posted:
    SYard T388
    TaylorMade RBZ 13-15
    Miura CB-57 3-PW
    Miura 51Y, 52K,56K, 57C, 60K
    Old Titleist Blade
  • eric_beric_b I will NOT tuck in my shirt! Members  1578WRX Points: 0Posts: 1,578
    If I'm on the American team, I'm praying I get matched up against Kaymer....otherwise, it's gonna be a long, hard match.
    Posted:
  • eric_beric_b I will NOT tuck in my shirt! Members  1578WRX Points: 0Posts: 1,578
    <br />
    Since I'm an American, I don't care as much who the Euro's pick to round out the squad. I can't fault Ollie for his picks but asking Harrington to join the team in some capacity - like Sergio did a few years ago - would have been a decent thing to do. I understand Paddy & Jose don't get on well together but he's been part of a lot of Ryder Cup success and will, in all likelihood, be on the team again.<br />
    <br />
    <br />
    Asking Sergio to be a vice-captain makes sense. He's passionate and can get people fired up. Unless you want someone to drive around in a cart looking like a deer caught in the headlights....Paddy ain't gonna help much.
    Posted:
  • lumberman2462lumberman2462 Members  5341WRX Points: 201Handicap: ?Posts: 5,341 Titanium Tees
    eric_b wrote:
    <br />
    <br />
    Since I'm an American, I don't care as much who the Euro's pick to round out the squad. I can't fault Ollie for his picks but asking Harrington to join the team in some capacity - like Sergio did a few years ago - would have been a decent thing to do. I understand Paddy & Jose don't get on well together but he's been part of a lot of Ryder Cup success and will, in all likelihood, be on the team again.<br />
    <br />
    <br />
    Asking Sergio to be a vice-captain makes sense. He's passionate and can get people fired up. Unless you want someone to drive around in a cart looking like a deer caught in the headlights....Paddy ain't gonna help much.<br />
    <br />
    <br />
    May be a fair point. But there are a lot of Irish guys on the team....he could ride around and talk about Irish things - whatever that might be.
    Posted:
    SYard T388
    TaylorMade RBZ 13-15
    Miura CB-57 3-PW
    Old Titleist Blade

Advertisement
    <br />
    eric_b wrote:
    <br />
    <br />
    <br />
    <br />
    Asking Sergio to be a vice-captain makes sense. He's passionate and can get people fired up. Unless you want someone to drive around in a cart looking like a deer caught in the headlights....Paddy ain't gonna help much.<br />
    <br />
    <br />
    May be a fair point. But there are a lot of Irish guys on the team....he could ride around and talk about Irish things - whatever that might be.<br />
    <br />
    <br />
    He's Irish, McDowell and McIlroy are Northern Irish....that's like brining a Canadian to talk to Americans. Same thing right?
    Posted:
  • tbowles411tbowles411 ClubWRX  25700WRX Points: 844Handicap: GolfPosts: 25,700 Titanium Tees
    I agree. He made great pics. I hope DL3 can make good picks as well to counter the strength of the team. It's going to come down to the simple things: Good shotmakers and who can putt the lights out of the ball.
    Posted:
    G410 9 Degree - Accra FX 2.0
    G410 3, 5 & 9 Woods - Accra FX 2.0
    G410 4-5 Hybrids - Accra 80i
    G410 6-UW - Accra 80i
    Glide 3.0 54WS, 58WS Accra 80i
    PING Bruzer
    PING Vault 2.0 Craz-E **Backup**
    (MY HYBRIDS, IRONS & WEDGES HAVE BEEN STOLEN BY MY SON)

eric_b wrote:
    <br />
    <br />
    eric_b wrote:
    <br />
    <br />
    <br />
    <br />
    May be a fair point. But there are a lot of Irish guys on the team....he could ride around and talk about Irish things - whatever that might be.<br />
    <br />
    <br />
    He's Irish, McDowell and McIlroy are Northern Irish....that's like brining a Canadian to talk to Americans. Same thing right?<br />
    <br />
    <br />
    I have no idea. Irish is Irish to me....but I suppose that could get you shot over in the old country. Hey, if Sergio could do....Paddy would be just fine. How hard is it to ride around in a golf cart with a walkie-talkie thing in your ear and say, "we need this point."???
    Posted:
    SYard T388
    TaylorMade RBZ 13-15
    Miura CB-57 3-PW
    Old Titleist Blade
  • VindogVindog Don't order the schnitzel. They're using schnauzer! Members  18116WRX Points: 1,051Posts: 18,116 Titanium Tees
    eric_b wrote:
    He's Irish, McDowell and McIlroy are Northern Irish....that's like brining a Canadian to talk to Americans. Same thing right?<br />
    <br />
    <br />
    Well since Rory says that he wil not represent NIR, but rather IRL, in the Olympics, I think it's clear that who they might identify with is a bit more complicated than a (recently made) border.
    Posted:
    run of the mill driver with stock shaft
    a couple of outdated hybrids
    shovel-ier shovels
    wedges from same shovel company
    some putter with a dead insert and
    a hideous grip
  • irlgolf56irlgolf56 Members  1537WRX Points: 0Posts: 1,537
    Ugh not this again, Canada and America is not a comparable situation to Ireland and Northern Ireland. Let's just leave it at that.
    Posted:

Advertisement
  • VindogVindog Don't order the schnitzel. They're using schnauzer! Members  18116WRX Points: 1,051Posts: 18,116 Titanium Tees
    irlgolf56 wrote:
    <br />
    Ugh not this again, Canada and America is not a comparable situation to Ireland and Northern Ireland. Let's just leave it at that.<br />
    <br />
    <br />
    BINGO!!!
    Posted:
    run of the mill driver with stock shaft
    a couple of outdated hybrids
    shovel-ier shovels
    wedges from same shovel company
    some putter with a dead insert and
    a hideous grip
  • LlortamaiseyLlortamaisey Members  6087WRX Points: 449Posts: 6,087 Titanium Tees
    Was Harrington seriously being considered for the team? I did not know that.
    Posted:
  • tbowles411tbowles411 ClubWRX  25700WRX Points: 844Handicap: GolfPosts: 25,700 Titanium Tees
    Vindog wrote:
    <br />
    irlgolf56 wrote:
    <br />
    Ugh not this again, Canada and America is not a comparable situation to Ireland and Northern Ireland. Let's just leave it at that.<br />
    <br />
    <br />
    BINGO!!!<br />
    <br />
    True dat.
    Posted:
    G410 9 Degree - Accra FX 2.0
    G410 3, 5 & 9 Woods - Accra FX 2.0
    G410 4-5 Hybrids - Accra 80i
    G410 6-UW - Accra 80i
    Glide 3.0 54WS, 58WS Accra 80i
    PING Bruzer
    PING Vault 2.0 Craz-E **Backup**
    (MY HYBRIDS, IRONS & WEDGES HAVE BEEN STOLEN BY MY SON)

• Seve007Seve007 Members  134WRX Points: 0Posts: 134
    Sean25rp wrote:
    <br />
    Braveone wrote:
    <br />
    I'm glad Colsaerts got in the team, he really desrves it considerig how far he's come in the past 3 years.<br />
    <br />
    <br />
    Agreed!<br />
    <br />
    <br />
    Me too. I am proud for Coels and proud to be Belgian.
    Posted:
  • JoomaJooma Members  235WRX Points: 0Posts: 235
    Canada and Northern Ireland are still British colonies and Rors resents that very much.
    Posted:

Advertisement
  • ron lefthanded holmesron lefthanded holmes Members  2648WRX Points: 0Posts: 2,648
    <br />
    <br />
    <br />
    that would cause to much friction in the camp and harrington has seen his time time to move on,and yes he picked the right 2 players,poulter is like woods even if playing crap i would have them in my side,
    Posted:
    Driver Ping G400 10*
    Hybrids Ping G30 17* 19*
    Irons Ping i200 4//PW
    Wedges Ping Glide 50* 54* 60*
    Putter Black Series
    Balls Bridgestone B330-RXS
  • Gone RightGone Right Members  236WRX Points: 0Posts: 236
    As an Irish golf fan I must admit that I think Ollie made the right choices. Harrington's record in majors this year is surprisingly strong, but he doesn't seem to be able to achieve any consistency, especially with his putter. In my view Poulter, who I really can't stand, had to be picked because the personality traits I dislike make him an outstanding matchplay competitor, and the Ryder Cup seems to be his natural home. I'm delighted for Colsaert, and I think its mportant for European golf that new guys come to the fore and get picked for progress they have made. Its a formidable Euro side, with Kaymer the only guy I'd be worried about.<br />
    <br />
    On Harrington as a vice captain, I think Ireland is already over-represented with Darren Clarke and Paul McGinley as two of the four vice-captains. Given Harrington's strained relationship with Olazabal I think he had a better chance of being picked to play than he had of joining the management set up.<br />
    <br />
    ON the Northern Ireland issue, golf in Ireland is organised on an all-island basis under the auspices of the Golfing Union of Ireland, and at amateur level there is no distinction between golfers from Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland, but since the peace process made progress up north we have seen a new distinctive Northern Irish identity being forged, and being embraced by large sections of both communities. Its a very healthy and positive thing and has definitely been helped greatly by the success of NI golfers, and might actually be the thing that helps put past problems to bed in the longer term. Here's hoping.
    Posted:
  • BigPeteBigPete Members  2467WRX Points: 55Handicap: 12.1Posts: 2,467 Platinum Tees
    These picks were probably the easiest choices in Ryder Cup history. The US picks might be a bit more interesting...
    Posted:
    Cobra L4V PX 6.0
    Tour edge 3 PX 6.0
    Mizuno MP H5 4 iron C taper lite stiff
    Mizuno JPX 850 Forged 5-pw XP 115 R300
    Mizuno MP T5 53 59 wedge flex
    Mizuno MP A306
    WITB Link
  • rafalrafal Members  5897WRX Points: 350Posts: 5,897 Titanium Tees
    Harrington needs to play better and talk (errr whine) less.
    Posted:
    TM M4 10.5* Matrix Ozik HD6 S
    TM M3 3W Matrix Ozik HD6 S
    TM M4 Rescue 3
    TM R15 Rescue 5 PXi 5.5
    Titleist AP2 5-P PXi 5.5
    PING Glide 52*SS 58*WS 60*TS
    TM DLL+ 34.5"
  • Dave ArcobelloDave Arcobello Members  27WRX Points: 0Posts: 27
    Leaving Colsaerts off of this team would have been a tragedy. Poulter tilts me and while I'd say he's overpriced much of the time, I'll back him all day long in a Ryder Cup format.<br />
    <br />
    Good choices by Olazabal.
    Posted:

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.