2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Anyone play the early 90's Lynx Parallax Irons?

Mugnut

And what is similar now?
I've gone back to my Lynx Parallax irons (circa '93) so many times after flirting with other irons. Anyone used to play these too? Smallish heads, thinnish topline, cavity backs with some offset there to help. Of all the irons I've ever had, they have given me perhaps the most consistent, medium but penetrating ballflight with just a hint of a draw.

Mine are pretty banged up, missing the 9 iron and generally not in good shape. The old LynxLite shafts are probably not quite right for me now either. They're a backup set now.

I suppose i could buy a set used (but it's hard to find 'em in good shape) and re-shaft them with something modern.

Does anyone familiar with these know of a similar iron out there these days?

i would search ebay and find a set or just a nine iron for your set. get them fitted for you with the right shaft, loft/lie etc. clean them up, hot water, soap, and maybe some work with a 3m pad to get a newer finish going. honestly, if you hit them well, then play with them. i tried a couple of different sets over the years and then this year went back to my 962s. i just through new grips on, gave them a nice scrubbing and i love the way i'm hitting the ball. if you find irons you like stick with them.

This post will not help you at all, but it is funny to me. I was playing golf last weekend and their was a guy in a cart in front of me, he had a Lynx bag and clubs and the guy that i was paired with, said to me, " wow, Lynx clubs, you don't see anyone playing those any more", I guess you do. Sorry, like i said pointless.

Yeah -

I wish I had my Lynx hat still (have no idea what happened to it) but I'd look postively old school flashing the Lynx irons and hat. Then I could bust out my Prince Pro and acid-washed tennis shorts for my tennis game in the afternoon.

On the serious side, I really wonder if something like the new 15's might be in the ball park. I've often thought of getting some Parallax's off eBay and reshafting them, but it seems liek I might get awfully close to $500 when all was said and done, which is awful close to the cost of a new (or slightly used) set of current production irons.

I've gott admit that back then (I was like a 24 handicap or something) the Freddie connection prbably had more to do with thpurchase than anything else.

I had 'em and loved 'em until some scum sucking piece of crap stole them out of my car in Vancouver along with a MINT Cleveland persimmon driver that I'd found in a used bin at a muny in Kingston Ontario and had bought for $30!!! :fool:

I never did replace them but remember playing some of my best golf with them. I wonder where they are today..... :ok:

Rob

• 1 year later...

I used the parallax irons for years. I recently changed to a set of Eye 2's and just last week went back to the parallax irons. I have just today reshafted them with new TT Lites and will put on new Lamkin Dual Density grips. These are still sweet irons for me at least. I hit them better than anything else I have tried.

Ping G410 Driver

TM 200 Steel 3W

Lynx Parallax 3-SW

Ping Eye 2 SW

Nike VR Forged 60

Maltby PTM 1

I used the parallax irons for years. I recently changed to a set of Eye 2's and just last week went back to the parallax irons. I have just today reshafted them with new TT Lites and will put on new Lamkin Dual Density grips. These are still sweet irons for me at least. I hit them better than anything else I have tried.

I played some of my best golf back in the day with Lynx Parallax irons.

It's funny you should say that you switched to eye2's and then went back. I was going to say that I always thought these two irons played quite similar (with the eye2's being slightly more forgiving).

I also played Black Cat Tours a few years later and last year I was given a set of the new Parallax forged irons by a tour player who also got them for free. I was expecting that distinctive Parallax feel but they were rubbish.

Here's a pic

http://www.golfpunkonline.com/golf-junk/go....asp?itemID=162

I played them for a few years and still have a few sets laying around. Actually, one of the sets is practically new and has DG S400's in them.

TITLEIST TSI3 9* - HZRDUS T1100 HANDMADE 6.0 
PING G410 15* - MITZ TENSEI PRO ORANGE 70X
PING G410 17* & 19* - MITZ TENSEI BLUE X & EF BLACK X
SRIXON ZX7's - 4-PW w/SPECIAL, TOUR ISSUE, BLACK KBS TOUR V 125'S
CALLAWAY PM2 54* X & 58* X - ORIGINAL PX Satin 5.5's (HSx1)
ODYSSEY STROKE LAB EXO 7S - CUSTOM

SCOTTY CAMERON 2001 TOUR ISSUE 3x CHOCOLATE NEWPORT BEACH
2017 BRIDGESTONE B330 Tour #1's & TITLEIST PRO V #1'X

I remember the Parallax.......back in the day it was between them, TA 845's and Ping Eye2. I chose the Ping Eye2 but secretly always wanted to own a Lynx set as well. More than once I've found myself scouring ebay for a "project" set in good condition. Once not long ago I ran across someone selling a brand new set on there for way too much money or they'd have been mine.

Is Lynx still owned by Golfsmith these days or did they spin them off to someone else?

I remember the Parallax.......back in the day it was between them, TA 845's and Ping Eye2. I chose the Ping Eye2 but secretly always wanted to own a Lynx set as well. More than once I've found myself scouring ebay for a "project" set in good condition. Once not long ago I ran across someone selling a brand new set on there for way too much money or they'd have been mine.

Is Lynx still owned by Golfsmith these days or did they spin them off to someone else?

99.9% sure they are owned by Golfsmith

I played the Lynx Parallax for a while, those are (or were) excellent irons. I still have my set. I always wanted the Black Cat Tours but purchased Mizuno T Zoids instead...I recently purchased a set of Lynx Black Cat irons for my father in law, he only plays in about 2-3 scrambles per year and he needed some irons. They were cheap, had stiff shafts and were 1/2 inch longer, so I bought them for under $100.

Titleist TSi2 10* Driver Tensei Blue 55S
TM Sim2 Max 16.5* 3 wood Tensei Blue 60S

TM SIM2 Titanium 5 Wood Tensei Blue 65S

TM SIM2 MAx 4 Hybrid Ventus Stiff shaft
Ping G410 5-UW Alta Graphite Shafts
Vokey SM8 56* sand wedge, Vokey SM9 60* lob wedge
Black Lab Oil Can 350g custom grind by "Geo" putter

C&L 350 Milled Oil Can Putter (3 of them!)

This is a riot. I started this thread back in Spetember 2005 when I had just joined; several iron sets later, and one set of i506's stolen, I was scouring eBay yesterday for a 9-iron thinking "maybe I'll get the Parallax's reshafted with S300 and put 'em back in play."

These irons defined so much for me about what I look for in a club - the thin top line, that simple cavity; a compact head size and scads of forgiveness.

And, b/c they're cast, they last forever.

Of all the irons I have had since, my J33 combos of all things seem most similar in playability, though I actually think the Lynxes might have slightly better feel. Heresy? I don't know.

The traditional lofts are nice too. I love a 50* pitching wedge.

I've counted 4 people on this thread saying they had their Parallax irons stolen. Am I missing something? Were they made of gold?

99.9% sure they are owned by Golfsmith

I think Lynx-Europe is independantly owned (they've even got tour player endorsment) whereas Lynx-U.S is still owned by Golfsmith. Didn't Freddie Couples lose a ton of money by investing in the company a few years back?

• 9 months later...

I'm going to bump this one for the fact that I currently play the Lynx Parallax. Thing is, they were given to me by my uncle who got them off a doctor at his country club for a case of beer (he actually stopped the doc from throwing them in the dumpster because he broke the 4 iron). So I don't really know much about them and have nothing to compare them to, like are they a cavity back that plays like a blade? I didn't know until 5 min. ago that the "white" lynx on the cavity means 'standard'. Well, now I am looking at new stuff (MP-57, j36 combo, AP2, ZB) and am wondering if someone can tell if these irons would be similar (eventhough they are all forged), or what the major difference (in general) I should expect. Thanks for any input, I can't wait to get some new sticks. Oh my hc is around a 10-12, but will be playing a lot more this year. (Still fairly athletic, played college baseball etc.)

I own and have played the Lynx Parallax irons since 1993, switching from Ping Eye2. I had them reshafted and frequency matched with Rifle shafts in 2002, which lowered the ball flight slightly and allowed me far greater trajectory control. Since reshafting, I've played the best golf of my life, despite playing far fewer rounds a year.

I have always thought they were one of the best looking cavity back club I've ever seen. I was considering replacing them with MP-60s, J33 CB, or the new J36 CB. However, I recently saw the new MacGregor PRO-M and PRO-C. These are now my top choice to replace my Parallax irons, when the budget allows. New irons would be nice, but I play so well with the Parallax irons, justifying a replacement set is very difficult.

Adams 9015d: 9.5*, Prolaunch Red X, 45"
Titleist 915Fd: 15*, Aldila Rogue Silver 110 X, 42.5", Set to 16*
Titliest 816 H1: 19*, Speeder Tour 8.8 X, 40.5", Set to 20*
Mizuno MP-20 MMC 4-P; Project X 6.0; Std Lofts and Lies
Cleveland 588: 51*, 55*, 59*, DG S-400
Ping Anser 3: 35" with Winn Midsize Pistol grip
Winn Excel Wrap midsize grips

What a coincidence: someone in another thread asked about people's favorite cavity backs, and I just wrote this morning that one of mine were the Lynx Parallax irons. What a great set. Had a guy come in the other day with a set for regripping, and he let me hit them. Talk about a flood of memories. And they felt great, and the same distances as any current set I have tried! There must be some underground movement for a return to these.....

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Sorry to dig this thread up again. But I have a set of these irons. And I'll agree with most of the replies. They are great irons. I love the small head and thin top line. Great forgiveness too. I've been playing them since the 90's.

I'd like to sell them in the near future. What would be a good price for them? My set is in great condition. I clean them regularly and pretty anal about keeping them clean.

I saw a set on Seattle's Craigslist for $200. Is that a good price?

Just curious. Thanks guys.

I have an old Lynx Parallax driver. Not sure exactly how old it is, but the head is smaller than a tall faced 3 wood.

Its slightly shorter than my Adams RPM LP.

Took it to the range last week and it is just as long as my Hibore / PL Blue combo. Only thing is, its easy to hook.

Appears to be shafted with some sort of steel, "light" shaft. Its real whippy.. so I assume its probably a senior flex.

Wonder if I could still get it reshafted with a modern steel shaft? Appears to have the old "wood" style whipping around the hosel also; even though the head is metal.