Salty Putter Grips

rlheimanrlheiman Members Posts: 1,347
I just wanted to share a new putter grip that I've been using for a number of rounds now. I really like it. I put it on a Miura MK-007.

Salty Putter Grips -- It is a cork grip. It is slightly larger than standard and lighter. The feel is just like a cork grip on a fishing pole. Firm yet velvety smooth. They are not in full scale production yet, but you might want to check them out.

486D1546-2619-4F8F-B22E-FA0AC2E79B8C-61787-000030621203E32A.jpg
Tagged:

Comments

• DieHard519DieHard519 Members Posts: 556
    I wonder how durable they are, because I'm sure at some point it's going to get slammed down into my bag after some frustrating hole. I'd be willing to try these if they're relatively cheap.
  • rlheimanrlheiman Members Posts: 1,347
    They are fragile prior to installation, but once it is on the putter, it seems very solid. It is hard to tell long term for sure, but seems to holding up very nicely on the putter. Even with some(only a couple) slams back into the bag. I'll be curious to see how it does by the end of this season.
  • 59Bassman59Bassman Members Posts: 241
    I MUST have one of these. One of my other addictions is fly fishing. This putter grip looks like it'd feel perfect. I've not been able to find out how/where to get one, only that they're "coming soon". Any tips on being able to source one?
  • BrayBray Members Posts: 158 ✭✭
    I too love to fly fish and HAVE to have one. Any idea when they will be available to the public?
    It's not in my nature to be
    mysterious, but I cant talk about it
    and I can't talk about why.
  • golfswedegolfswede golfswede Members Posts: 134 ✭✭
    I hate fishing but would love to try the grip! LOL!
  • kirksingletonkirksingleton Members Posts: 237
    at least my putter would flote when it gets tossed in the pond!
    I just got done emailing them to find out about getting more of these grips. If you want to buy one, just email them (emails on their website), they have a number of their first run grips left that they will sell. Full production is about 6 weeks out.
  • corkycorky Members Posts: 2,858
    Poor name.... should be named after me
  • Clemson06Clemson06 Members Posts: 24
    These are really interesting. After seeing this post I had to go get one of my bass rods with cork grip out and try to imagine it on a putter. Would consider trying one of these because I have spent many hours on a lake holding a cork handle rod and been perfectly at peace.
  • stage1350stage1350 If you stand for nothing, you'll fall for anything. Members Posts: 10,238 ✭✭
    I could see sanding these down to make custom shapes or underlistings for leather grips.
    Tour Issue Bridgestone J715 B5 9.5° / Project X T1100 75g 6.5 flex ___OR___ TC Callaway Epic Sub Zero 9° / Graphite Design P9003 TX
    TC Callaway XHot 3DEEP 13° / Project X T1100 95g 6.5 flex ______________ TC Callaway XHot 3DEEP 13° / Graphite Design DI-10 TX
    TC Callaway X2Hot 5DEEP 18.5° / Project X T1100 95g 6.5 flex____________ TC Callaway Epic hybrid 18° / Graphite Design DI-105 X
    DLC Black Bridgestone J15CB 3-PW / Tour Issue Dynamic Gold X7_________ Scratch AR-1 v2 3-PW / Tour Issue Dynamic Gold X7
    DLC Black Bridgestone Tour B XW-1 54°&60 / Tour Issue Dynamic Gold X7___ Scratch FIT DS 54°&60° / Tour Issue Dynamic Gold X7
    Bettinardi BB2 Prototype Copper Plated _______________________________ Scratch McCoy 8802 handmade

They can keep erasing this. They simply prove my point... censors.
  • Hit-emHit-em Members Posts: 413 ✭✭
    At $30 a little pricing IMO ..

I'd be interested in seeing how it would feel but $30 seems a little expensive just to try it out ..
  • ChappieChappie Let's play sometime! Members Posts: 3,585 ✭✭
    I'd like to throw one of these on my BeCu Anser. I could probably pull the leadtape off as it would do wonders for how the weight feels in hand.
    D - JDM SLDR 9*
    3w - RBZ Stage 2 tour
    5w - r7 tp 17.5*
    3h - RBZ stage 2 tour
    4-PW - R9 TP "b"
    54* - Srixon WG-706 custom grind
    60* - Nike VR Forged
    P - ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Just bought one, will update with pics when it comes in. I'm pretty excited.
    D - JDM SLDR 9*
    3w - RBZ Stage 2 tour
    5w - r7 tp 17.5*
    3h - RBZ stage 2 tour
    4-PW - R9 TP "b"
    60* - Nike VR Forged
    P - ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Hit-em wrote:

At $30 a little pricing IMO ..

I'd be interested in seeing how it would feel but $30 seems a little expensive just to try it out ..

You pay $45 for leather wrap, and really this is in that same league when it comes to grip preference. I agree that a $20-$25 price point would be more ideal, but I don't think the pricing is too far off.
    D - JDM SLDR 9*
    3w - RBZ Stage 2 tour
    5w - r7 tp 17.5*
    3h - RBZ stage 2 tour
    4-PW - R9 TP "b"
    60* - Nike VR Forged
    P - ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • kingsalmonkingsalmon Members Posts: 44
    Check out some fishing rod building supply places, or a local custom fishing rod maker. Mudhole.com is a good place to start for cork handle supplies.
  • GotbladesGotblades Clubmaker United StatesPosts: 1,220 ✭✭
    My grandpa used to beat us with a cork handled fishing pole and it held up just fine. Durability shouldn't be an issue. image/rofl.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':rofl:' />
  • Hit-emHit-em Members Posts: 413 ✭✭
    Gotblades wrote:

My grandpa used to beat us with a cork handled fishing pole and it held up just fine. Durability shouldn't be an issue. image/rofl.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':rofl:' />

That sounds like a fond memory of old grandpa !! image/bigwhack.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':bigwhack:' />
  • GotbladesGotblades Clubmaker United StatesPosts: 1,220 ✭✭
    Hit-em wrote:

Gotblades wrote:

That sounds like a fond memory of old grandpa !! image/bigwhack.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':bigwhack:' />

Grampa was a kindly old gent who wouldn't hurt a fly. i just have a sick imagination...
    I'm hoping to practice with it a lot over the winter and see if I can get it to form to my hand by summer. That's one of the great advantages to cork.
    D - JDM SLDR 9*
    3w - RBZ Stage 2 tour
    5w - r7 tp 17.5*
    3h - RBZ stage 2 tour
    4-PW - R9 TP "b"
    60* - Nike VR Forged
    P - ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Titleist-GolferTitleist-Golfer I'd rather be driving a Titleist Members Posts: 3,094 ✭✭
    I'd buy one, but only if it wasn't so darned big. Too big for my taste I'm afraid.
    [font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif]Go Navy!

WITB
    Titleist 915 D4 8.5 Oban V430 6.5 75g
    Titleist 915 F2 15 Rogue Silver 80S
    Titleist VG3 18.5 JDM PX 6.0
    Titleist 714MB 3-PW DG S300
    Titleist TVD raw C-C 53 and Indigo SM5 58 DGTI
    Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless Newport Beach 340g 35"
    Titleist ProV1 2018[/font]
  • SPY ZINGERSPY ZINGER Members Posts: 3,313 ✭✭
    I was able to roll a few with this grip and it had a surprisingly nice feel in hand. Worth checking out.

I'd buy one, but only if it wasn't so darned big. Too big for my taste I'm afraid.

They said they have a smaller model coming out in a few weeks. I planning on getting one of those too, to try out on a different putter.
  • DB MACHINEDB MACHINE Sponsors Posts: 934 ✭✭
    Nice to see someone making new Cork putter grips. Woods Bros. Golf used to offer them on their putters back in the 80's as I recall, and then they came out with a whole new line in the mid to late 90's.. Called "Switch" putters. They had cork grips and mallet heads with graphics on the crown... The grips felt great, imparting a very soft feel to the putter (without being too "squishy" or torquey) and I think were fairly durable. I'm a big fisherman, so I'm interested in these myself. image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

Good luck to Salty!

And thanks for the find rlheiman!

Best,

-Dave Billings
  • JayLeftyJayLefty St. Louis, MOLefty Boomers Posts: 2,013 ✭✭
    Whit at Salty grips was great to deal with. I have a feeling these grips may catch on.
    Ping G 400 Max 10.5* w/ Fujikura Pro 2.0 7X
    Srixon Z U85 18* w/ X100
    Srixon Z U65 20* w/ x100
    Mizuno MP-25 4-PW w/ X100
    Cleveland RTX 4 50*, 54* and 58* w/ x100
    Evnroll ER2 w/ BGT Stability Shaft
    JayLefty wrote:

Whit at Salty grips was great to deal with. I have a feeling these grips may catch on.

Agreed, and I'm excited to both try this one and the standard size when it comes out.
    D - JDM SLDR 9*
    3w - RBZ Stage 2 tour
    5w - r7 tp 17.5*
    3h - RBZ stage 2 tour
    4-PW - R9 TP "b"
    60* - Nike VR Forged
    P - ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • JayLeftyJayLefty St. Louis, MOLefty Boomers Posts: 2,013 ✭✭
    Chappie wrote:

JayLefty wrote:

Agreed, and I'm excited to both try this one and the standard size when it comes out.

I was going to grab one, but then I heard about the smaller ones coming. So, I will wait. We went back and forth via e-mail and he was great. I really appreciated his time. Great people...
    Ping G 400 Max 10.5* w/ Fujikura Pro 2.0 7X
    Srixon Z U85 18* w/ X100
    Srixon Z U65 20* w/ x100
    Mizuno MP-25 4-PW w/ X100
    Cleveland RTX 4 50*, 54* and 58* w/ x100
    Evnroll ER2 w/ BGT Stability Shaft
  • Titleist-GolferTitleist-Golfer I'd rather be driving a Titleist Members Posts: 3,094 ✭✭
    I'd definitely try the normal size grip when it comes out
    [font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif]Go Navy!

WITB
    Titleist 915 D4 8.5 Oban V430 6.5 75g
    Titleist 915 F2 15 Rogue Silver 80S
    Titleist VG3 18.5 JDM PX 6.0
    Titleist 714MB 3-PW DG S300
    Titleist TVD raw C-C 53 and Indigo SM5 58 DGTI
    Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless Newport Beach 340g 35"
    Titleist ProV1 2018[/font]
    They aren't quite over-sized from what I've read, more midsized so I figured I'd give it a shot. Since its such a different feel and a different weight I figure I can try them on different stuff and see which I like more.
    D - JDM SLDR 9*
    3w - RBZ Stage 2 tour
    5w - r7 tp 17.5*
    3h - RBZ stage 2 tour
    4-PW - R9 TP "b"
    60* - Nike VR Forged
    P - ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • wheatking11wheatking11 Members Posts: 32
    I emailed them and ordered monday and just received mine today. Came with installation instructions and a handwritten note from mark. Excited to try it out.
  • CroddadCroddad What it’s all about Members Posts: 654 ✭✭
    Very interesting! Suprised no one thought of using cork before...I'm a wine buff and I also have cork floors in my finished basement. Cork is "self-healing" which makes it great for kitchen and basement floors that you'd drop things on and make dents. I imagine it would be great for putter grip too. It's another great way to get a new life on old putters i.e. old Pings with 290g heads, it would make them the same swingweight as newer styles. My only concern would be (being up here in Seattle) that they'll get slicker than snot in the rain.

image/drinks.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':drinks:' />
    Proud Walking Golfer
    What's in my Ping Hoofer Monsoon bag:
    Ping G400 LST 8.5* X Tour 65g
    Titleist 917F3 15* X 82g Diamana ‘ahina
    Titleist 915h1 21* X Diamana S+ 75Hy
    Titleist 718 T-MB 3 iron ProjectX PXi 6.0
    Ping iBlades red dot 4-PW ProjectX 6.0
    Titleist Vokey SM7 M grind 54 & 59 1* flat ProjectX 6.0
    Ping Vault 2.0 Stealth Piper 34.5” w/black Ping cord grip