Salty Putter Grips

14567810»

Comments

• cz13X4cz13X4 Members Posts: 5,633 ✭✭
    anyone successfully remove one?
  • bob1shbob1sh Members Posts: 460
    If they made a non-tapered pistol shape like the SS Pistol GT I would have one on all of my putters.
    Cobra Bio Cell Driver w/ BB 73s
    Titleist 915F w/ Chrome 8F5T
    Srixon 745 4-PW w/ KBS Tour 120
    Cleveland RTX 2.0 52/58
    Ping Karsten TR Anser 5
  • SetTheBarrHighSetTheBarrHigh DallasClubWRX Posts: 3,920 ClubWRX
    Really want one for my Machine
    Instagram @SetTheBarrHigh

What's In The Bag

Ping G410 Plus 9°
    Titleist TS2 16.5°
    Mizuno CLK 19°
    Mizuno JPX 919 Forged 4-P
    Mizuno T7 52°, Titleist SM7 58°
    Titleist Studio Stainless Mid Sur
  • kess13kess13 So I just put the ball in the hole... Members Posts: 1,290 ✭✭
    cz13X4 wrote:

Because it's cork I have been able to slowly twist the grip until it loosens and then twist as I pull. Then you just have to clean the goo out of it and it's ready to use again.
    Bio Cell
    F6 baffler
    MP54
    T7/eye2XG Lob
    Mills Ming
  • golfluvzmegolfluvzme Members Posts: 2,719 ✭✭
    mgcfc wrote:

Did anyone notice that Danny Willett who came 3rd in the World Matchplay at the weekend was using a Salty grip on his putter. On the Sky TV coverage here in the UK they did WITB interview with Willett after one of his matches and the interviewer pointed out the cork grip saying he had never seen one before and Willett said he had tried it and really liked it. Great exposure for Salty.

Sorry guys, but the cork grip that Danny Willett was using was not a Salty. I am a HUGE fan of the company and the guys who own Salty, so please don't hate on me for this. The grip that Danny was using was a Cork Tree grip. Yes, cork, but the technology is much different.

LaMont in AZ
  • T-MACT-MAC Members Posts: 1,958 ✭✭
    kess13 wrote:

cz13X4 wrote:

Because it's cork I have been able to slowly twist the grip until it loosens and then twist as I pull. Then you just have to clean the goo out of it and it's ready to use again.

Without using a v-rod tool?

I've tried twisting mine off and it won't budge. image/sad.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':(' />
  • PeanutsDaddyPeanutsDaddy Members Posts: 8,658 ✭✭
    T-MAC wrote:

kess13 wrote:

cz13X4 wrote:

I've tried twisting mine off and it won't budge. image/sad.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':(' />

I've been told (by a reliable source) to heat the grip with a hair dryer and then to slowly twist until the grip is removed. Move the heat up and down the grip. The adhesive will loosen. I have not tested this yet, but will report back when I do.
    Cobra King F7 9*<br />Wishon 919FD 13* (1* open)<br />Wishon 950HC 18* (1* open)<br />Wishon 775hs 21*, 24*, 27<br />NCW 28*, 33*, 38*, 43*, 48*, 53*<br />Mac Custom Grind 58* (NevadaGolfGuy Special)<br />Betti, Machine, Mannkrafted, Scotty, Tad Moore, Xenon
  • MedsonMedson Members Posts: 2,310 ✭✭
    Are they still around?
  • RobotDoctorRobotDoctor Senior Hacker ClubWRX Posts: 4,547 ClubWRX
    Yes, they are still around. I am gaming the Mid-Plus (1.15 inch diameter) on my gamers (about 3 of them).
    Taylormade M3 (2018 tour head) 9.9 degree Graphite Design Tour AD DI 6S
    Titleist 906F2 15 degree Fujikura Pro 73 Tour Spec stiff
    Taylormade SLDR 2 Hybrid Graphite Design Tour  AD DI-Hybrid 85 stiff
    Ben Hogan '99 Apex Blades (3-PW) Nippon Modus Tour 120 stiff
    Miura 52* GW KBS Tour stiff
    Scratch Golf LW Nippon Modus Tour 120 stiff
    Byron Morgan Epic Day Long Pipe Copper plated
    BestGrips Augusta Microperf grips
  • PeanutsDaddyPeanutsDaddy Members Posts: 8,658 ✭✭

T&#045;MAC wrote:

kess13 wrote:

cz13X4 wrote:

I've been told (by a reliable source) to heat the grip with a hair dryer and then to slowly twist until the grip is removed. Move the heat up and down the grip. The adhesive will loosen. I have not tested this yet, but will report back when I do.

As a follow up, I've tested this method and it worked. Took 3 - 5 minutes to remove the grip. I slowly moved the grip side to side while applying heat and I could tell that it was beginning to give way. Finally placed both hands on the grip after it was heated and twisted slowly back and forth and the grip let go. It appears that there is very little, if any, residue left on the inside of the grip.
    Cobra King F7 9*<br />Wishon 919FD 13* (1* open)<br />Wishon 950HC 18* (1* open)<br />Wishon 775hs 21*, 24*, 27<br />NCW 28*, 33*, 38*, 43*, 48*, 53*<br />Mac Custom Grind 58* (NevadaGolfGuy Special)<br />Betti, Machine, Mannkrafted, Scotty, Tad Moore, Xenon
  • EgobblewobbleEgobblewobble Members Posts: 303 ✭✭
    edited Feb 10, 2018 #282
    Figured I’d post here instead of posting a question in a new post. How are these holding up? Anyone have one for a while? Been looking at leather putter grips but these are interesting especially seeing I love the feel of cork grips on my fishing poles. Anyone have both cork and leather grips to compare?
    That dog'll hunt
  • TexsportTexsport Members Posts: 2,340 ✭✭
    edited Feb 10, 2018 #283
    DB MACHINE wrote:

Nice to see someone making new Cork putter grips. Woods Bros. Golf used to offer them on their putters back in the 80's as I recall, and then they came out with a whole new line in the mid to late 90's.. Called "Switch" putters. They had cork grips and mallet heads with graphics on the crown... The grips felt great, imparting a very soft feel to the putter (without being too "squishy" or torquey) and I think were fairly durable. I'm a big fisherman, so I'm interested in these myself. image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

Good luck to Salty!

And thanks for the find rlheiman!

Best,

-Dave Billings

The cork grip was introduced and patented by Dave Wood of Wood Bros in the late 1970s or early '80s.

He offered them on his spectacular, exceedingly rare, and valuable, hand forged BenchMark 60s line of putters.

Dave's grips also featured a system for adding weight at different points in the grip to modify the putter's balance point.

I see comments here, wondering why "nobody ever thought of using cork for a grip". Somebody did!

Another pioneering innovation by Dave Wood, before many on this board were even born.

Texsport
    Mizuno GT180 10.5*/Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 5 X
    Tour Edge Exotics CB F2 PRO 15.5* Limited/Speeder 757 EVO 7.1X (Gene Sauers club)
    Titleist 915 18*/Fubuki K 80X
    Titleist 913 Hybrid 21*/Tour Blue 105X (Matt Jones' club) (OR) TM Burner 4-iron/Aldila RIP 115 Tour S
    Wilson Staff V4 5 and 6/Aerotech Fibersteel 110 S
    MacGregor PRO M 7-PM/Aldila RIP 115 Tour S
    Edel 50*/KBS 610 S
    Scratch JMO Grind Don White 56*/DG X-100
    Cobra Trusty Rusty Tour 64*/DG S-200
    The Cure CX2 putter
  • PreppySlapCutPreppySlapCut This is just babytown frolics... Members Posts: 6,393 ✭✭
    Love the feel of cork, but can’t do an oversized grip.
    Ping G400 MAX 9* w/ Tour 65 (S)
    Ping G 14.5* & 19.5* w/ Tour 80 (X)
    Ping G30 22* w/ Accra Kuchar Proto 85 (X)
    Ping i210 5-PW w/ Aldila RIP 115 (S)
    Ping Glide 2.0 50*, 55*, 60* w/ Aldila RIP 115 (S)
    Scotty Cameron Toolbox

Love the feel of cork, but can't do an oversized grip.

Salty makes a Slim Salty now. It is pretty thin, in terms of diameter only 1", It is slightly larger than the butt end of the Pistol grips I was using but with no taper. I would suggest trying one of these out, I just put one on my gamer to see how it goes,
  • Hack DaddyHack Daddy Members Posts: 704 ✭✭
    Cork Tree pistola is legit, as well.
    Nike Vapor Pro Aldilla RIP NL
    Nike VR Covert Tour 2.0 3W Aldilla RIP
    Nike VR Pro Combo 3-PW Nippon Pro Modus 105
    Nike VR 54/58 S300
    Nike B1-01 Black pearl shaft, Cork Tree Pistol
    TP5X
    edited May 17, 2018 #287
    Hack Daddy wrote:

Be that as it may, being that this is a Salty Putter Grip thread so posts should be discussing Salty.

On that note, I found the Slim Salty too thin for my liking and put on a Salty Mid Plus back on my gamer. Now it feels right.
  • Hack DaddyHack Daddy Members Posts: 704 ✭✭

Hack Daddy wrote:

Be that as it may, being that this is a Salty Putter Grip thread so posts should be discussing Salty.

On that note, I found the Slim Salty too thin for my liking and put on a Salty Mid Plus back on my gamer. Now it feels right.

Lol
    Nike Vapor Pro Aldilla RIP NL
    Nike VR Covert Tour 2.0 3W Aldilla RIP
    Nike VR Pro Combo 3-PW Nippon Pro Modus 105
    Nike VR 54/58 S300
    Nike B1-01 Black pearl shaft, Cork Tree Pistol
    TP5X
  • Huey222Huey222 Members Posts: 84 ✭✭
    Big Ben wrote:

Froth wrote:

New model pics! Mail lady was nice to me today!

Sweet little tube.

salt0.jpg

Comparison to Winn Pistol grip putter.

salt1.jpg

Buttcap view/size.

salt2.jpg

Side by side

salt3.jpg

For good measure, next to a STD size regular grip.

salt4.jpg

Now I must install this beautiful thing.

Edit: Installed it per instructions, slipped on with just a bit more effort than a normal grip. I have probably had 20 putter grips over the years and the way this feels in my hands blows them all away(seriously, best putter grip idea EVER), even just putting down the hallway. Buy one, you won't regret it.
    This was my feeling exactly, just a super good idea. Ask yourself if a 3k fly rod has a cork grip might not be a bad idea to consider one on a putter! Well done boys, these should make a big splash...BB

my only problem is that I find my cork grips on my traditional rods don't respond well to time in the rod holders. I would think the same would happen at the bottom of my stand bag
    Titleist 915D2 9.5* w/ Diamana blue s+ 60
    Titleist 915F3 15* w/ Diamana blue s+ 70
    Ping g400 2H w/ Ping Tour 85
    Srixon u45 20* w/ Nippon NS Pro
    Srixon 545 4-6 w/ KBS tour
    Srixon 745 7-pw w/ KBS tour
    Cleveland RTX-3 V-MG 52*/58*
    Odyssey White Hot Tour 7H