2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Tadd Fujikawa Fan Club

pitbull808

all things Tadd..........from bag pics to tournament results
I figured I'd start this thread here in the Hawaii Room. I know we have a lot of "tourist" in the room and they can use this forum to keep track of him. Tadd's generated fans throughout the world after his showing in the Sony and it's only right that we start his fan club here in the Hawaii Room.

First off here are the bag pics.............

Driver....Callaway FT-5 8.5* with Ozik Code 6
3 Wood...Callaway X Hot 15* bent to 13* with Ozik Code 6
Hyrbrid....G Field GFT-UW 19* w/ Dynamic Gold
4 to PW...Callaway X Tours w/Project X shafts. -1/2"
52* Callaway X Wedge....stamped Tadd and WF 06/ For Winged Foot 2006.....obtained when he played the US Open
56* Callaway X Wedge
60* Sonartec Wedge with custom grind by Carlton Masui
Putter...Cameron Welded Neck Centershaft

SONY OPEN BAG and US OPEN BAG

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

CALLAWAY X TOURS 4-PW with Project X Shafts

CALLAWAY X TOUR WEDGE 52* stamped TADD and WF 06 (Winged Foot 2006)

CALLAWAY X TOUR WEDGE 56*

SONARTEC 60* with custom grind by Carlton Masui....the wedge he chipped in with. ;)

Congratulations to Tadd Fujikawa for winning the 2007 Pearl Open at Pearl Country Club. In this tournament filled with many local and Japan Professionals, Tadd was the only player to card three rounds under par.

Pearl Country Club...........

6,787 yards.......Slope 135 .....Course Rating 72

Way to go Tadd! ;)

Leaderboard...from 808golf.com

Thanks Reid. Is he still playing the code-6. they said that he did not like that shaft.

Last I heard right after the Sony..he didn't but I guess he might have gotten used to it. I didn't hear of any shaft change since.

what grips does he use? and what fariwat was that in hee first pics he was trying

Grips....Decade Multi Compound....plus a few others.

The fariwat is a the G Field 3 Wood with a Mamiya Pro Force Jumbo shaft he was using prior to the Sony. At the Sony.....he changed to the X Hot.

Tmac, I'm not positive because I haven't tried reshafting a Hot myself yet but there I was told they adjusted it with a sleeve on the inside of the hosel.

By the way guys...saw Tadd at the Fields Open Pro Am today. He made an iron change and now has the Callaway X Forged in his bag. He teed off with Sakura Yokomine as the Pro in their group. Pics of his new sticks along with many other LPGA players will be up soon. :drinks:

• 3 weeks later...

Nice article on Tadd in the Midweek Newspaper...March 9, 2007. For guys who missed it, here's the LINK,

March 9, 2007, by Steve Murray

"Everybody Love's Tadd"

He’s got the smile, the personality and the game. But the best thing about golf prodigy Tadd Fujikawa is that after finding so much success and celebrity, he’s still the humble kid next door. It’s a standard trick. Take someone with a near perfect image and playfully take them down a peg with tales of mean treatment of sisters and an absolute refusal to eat peas and the lengths to which that person goes to hide such shenanigans. It’s a cheap stunt, but it’s fun. Universally praised for his polite manners, infectious smile, the joy he brings to the course and his ability to simply cream a golf ball, Tadd Fujikawa seems ripe for such treatment. With no perceivable faults, something must be lurking yet undiscovered. But after spending time with him and his family, here’s what we found:

Nothing! Zip. Nada. Zilch. His messy room turns out to be no more than an unorganized desk. He likes chocolate. Who doesn’t? Says he could lose a few pounds. Who couldn’t? And if pressed to find something out of whack, mom Lori admits that golf equipment does tend to dominate the house. Maybe this kid is as good as advertised.

While obviously not perfect, Tadd does seem to have that something special that attracts people. Last month while visiting the Turtle Bay Championship, he obligingly signed an autograph for an older gentleman, who then smiled and patted Tadd on the shoulder. It wasn’t so much that the man appeared happy meeting a celebrity, but that he was simply prideful in the accomplishments of a young man he admires. He isn’t the only one taken with the charm of Tadd Fujikawa. Following our interview in a Moanalua Shopping Center restaurant, a cute teenage gal walks by with a spirited wave, a big smile and a sing-song greeting. “Hello, Tadd!” Tadd thinks he may have met her before. Maybe not.

Lori says the support Tadd has received has had a major impact on the family. Especially the letters from students at Aiea and Waikiki elementary schools. “That alone has really touched our hearts,” says Lori. “If he can make one kid think that ‘I’m gonna make something out of my life’ after they saw him, or kids who are small say ‘Hey, you know what? I can do it. It’s OK that I’m small,’ I think that is the coolest thing in the whole wide world.”

Though Tadd is not necessarily carrying the flag for those not blessed with perfect physical dimensions or the security of wealth, he does want to set an example. “Look at me,"he says,"I’m what, 5-feet-1, 150 pounds. I’m not made to play golf. I’m not made to do a lot of things. But you accept it and move on and do the best you can. Never give up. Do the best you can with what you got.”

The playful nature that the entire nation got introduced to during the Sony Open hides an intensely competitive and confident athlete. This belief in himself - that began its development while earning four national judo titles by the age of 12 - got a major boost in one of golf ‘s biggest events. “When I first started, I knew I could be the best and do well, but what I think really opened my eyes was when I played in the U.S. Open last year. It really let me know that I could play, and it showed me what level my game needs to be at to compete against the top players in the world.”

Though the world got a look at his game at the U.S. Open and even more at the Sony, getting here has not been an easy journey. After a full day at Moanalua High School that includes geometry, honors chemistry and Japanese, it’s off to the course for four or five hours of practice. Then it’s back home for a couple hours of homework prior to hitting the bed and starting the process over again. On weekends practice increases to five or six hours. But while it’s a grind, nothing is forced. “I make the decision if I want to practice or if I want to go out with my friends,” he says. “They support me no matter what I do.”

That being said, don’t think Tadd gets complete free range. At the time Lori - who played volleyball and gained her black belt in aikido by the age of 10 - was quick to point out that U.S. Open or not, there are still chores to do, and that not even the favorite son of the Golf Channel is above helping out around house.

Much of Tadd’s strength, and really the solid foundation of the entire family, can be traced to his maternal grandmother, Ellen Higuchi, who lost an arm during the Japanese Navy’s attack on Pearl Harbor at the age of 11. While sitting on the arm rest of a chair, a stray bomb tore through part of the home on Leilehua Lane, severing her arm above the elbow. “She just amazes me,” says Tadd with a big smile of affection for his now 76-year-old grandma. “She is actually right -handed and she had to learn how to do everything with her left hand. It’s unbelievable what she can do with one arm. It just shows you that if you put your mind to it you can do anything.”

Where his grandmother is an inspiration, mom and dad’s role seems to be as much friendship as parental guidance. Good-natured joking flows easily between them as was shown when the topic of his premature birth pops up. “It’s your fault,” Tadd tells his mom. “You’re the one who had to come out early,” replies Lori. “I just wanted to see the world.” And with Dad, well, Tadd just couldn’t help but laugh thinking about how much fun it was to toss his father Derrick over his shoulder during a photo shoot.

The business of Tadd Fujikawa is a full time job for Lori. It can be especially trying since she has to do it before, after and regretfully sometimes during her regular work day at a Kalihi auto body shop. Whether it’s cameras from the Golf Channel, interviews on ESPN, childhood photos for NBC or pesky interview requests from a certain local periodical, it can be overwhelming. “It’s really stressful,” she says while praising her employers, Basic Auto, for their patience and support. “I got to go to work. People call me at work. It’s all right because it’s something to help him with his future. It’s a good kind of busy.” Sitting off to the side during our interview, Lori sits behind a stack of business cards that only James Lipton could appreciate. It takes about an hour to input each one into her ever-constant companion, her BlackBerry. It’s a labor of love

As Tadd’s skill continues to develop, so will his ability to deal with what comes with it. He’s done masterfully so far, but fame can be difficult to deal with as more and more people want a piece of the action. For the time being, Tadd is enjoying it and says things aren’t so much different. “People who I haven’t talked to before come up and introduce themselves and it’s really cool and it’s good to meet new people. I like it. Signing autographs is a bit weird at times, but my friends treat me the same.”

With that personality and approachability comes the need to sometimes separate himself from admirers and media. A skill that he has yet to master. “I hate saying no to anyone,” he admits. “I don’t know if it’s a bad thing or not, and for some reason I have this paranoia of saying no. I just can’t do it. It’s really hard for me to do it. That’s why I need someone there with me to say no, I have to go. I’m getting better at it. I’m learning to say no to people because I have work to do.” But while fans and media seem as if they will be an ever-present part of the Fujikawa family, Lori has a simple solution for how to deal with everything. “We’re just a local family and we don’t know how to live any way else,” she says.

Tadd says his exact plans for the future are unknown. In fact, he hasn’t even decided on his next tournament - he’s passing up this weekend’s State Amateur to rest and focus on upcoming events - though playing in Japan would be nice if the family can figure out how to pay for it. College in the future is most likely, but he isn’t yet leaning toward any particular institution.

Tadd’s approach may seem strange in the modern era of sports that puts so much emphasis on visualization and on placing short-and long-term goals. Tadd isn’t worried about the future. Today is the focus. Much like the way he plays a round of golf. The only goal is to hit the best shot possible at the time and then move on. Worrying about your final score is pointless while looking at an approach shot on the third hole.

• 4 months later...

Well I guess we all know Tadd has decided to turn Pro. His debut as a Professional will be at the Reno Tahoe Open. I know there have been several bag pics of his floating around the internet. Lacking a lot of details as well.:tongue:

I'll try and fill those details as much as I can. For the moment his club set up is basically the same.

FT-5 with Axiv Proto Shaft....made specifically for him to provide a more stability and stiffness. At it's raw form, it CPM's at 300. Pics...........

Axiv002.jpg

Callaway 3 wood, hybrid, irons and putter have gone unchanged. Big and IMO great addition to his bag are three Chikara Prototype wedges. 52*, 56*, and 60*. They'll have black chrome DG S400 shafts with Neon Green No1 grips. The grips should go well with the green paintfill. Yes....Tadds favorite color is green. :tongue:

I'll have pic of those Proto Wedges made for him up soon. :cheesy:

Yep I got to see those Chikara wedges with the green paint fill and they are sweet.

Bobby, you lucky guy. I wanted to stay for the finished result, but I had to get to work.

Here are the pics I was able to take.............

Complete set of photo's were added to the Chikara thread HERE.

Here's the finished version of Tadd's wedges and also a pic of Chikara Designs first customer just before heading out to Nevada for his PGA Professional Debut at the Reno Tahoe Open! :drinks:

GO TADD WE'RE ALL PULLING FOR YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• 2 weeks later...
Does any know what the measurements are for his clubs? I'm just curious being a small person myself. I'm not trying to base my clubs around his due to the fact that he is more flexible and has been golfing a lot longer than I. Thanks in advance.

I know for sure the putter is at 30" and I believe the driver is at 44". I'll get the rest today. ;)

Sorry for the delay in getting the answers.....spoke to his club maker (thanks Carl!) and got the following info for you....

Driver Ft-5 w/ Axiv Proto....44" at D4...No1 Grip

Cally X Forged Irons....-1" from standard at D2...No1 Grips

Chikara Wedges...-1" from standard at D4...No1 Grips

Cameron Proto Newport Tour (put together by Scotty) 30"

What happened to Tadd playing with the Hyper ERC? I guess now that he's a pro and offically on the Callaway staff, Tadd has to play the US products.

Ping G430 Max 10K, 10.5*, Ventus Velocore TR Red 5R

Ping G430 Max 3 and 7 Woods, 16.5* and 21.0*, Alta CB Black 65R

Titleist 2023 T200 Irons, 4-PW, TT AMT Black R300
Titleist SM9 Wedges, 48.10 F, 54.10 S, 60.10 S, TT DG Wedge S200
Titleist Scotty Cameron Super Select Newport 2 Putter

What happened to Tadd playing with the Hyper ERC? I guess now that he's a pro and offically on the Callaway staff, Tadd has to play the US products.

That was only for that one tournament in Japan. It may come out again in his next Japan outing.