2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Practice Swing / Actual Swing - Updated

Furrankee

world of difference
This is something I've been having problems with. My practice swings are ideal, but once I start actual swing, my club whips around and my face is shut. I am trying very very hard to mimic my practice swings. Once the ball is there, different story.

Tips?
Edited by Taylormadefan: embedded video.

Update: Here's another swing with drills:

- tee under left arm pit to stay connect and swing more to left field.

- right foot hooked in to lock in my hips to some degree. (I tend to open them up a lot.)

- still have a faulty takeaway and top of the swing position. (currently trying to fold right arm quickly during takeaway while opening and cocking my right hand position. Takeaway's been the hardest thing to fix imo)

I find that placing a tee under my left armpit doesn't allow me to have a full follow thru. How does Vijay do it?

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can't see it- it is all scrambled. I got into the routine to not take a practice swing. IT is a little thing i started about wasting good swings on nothing. It has stuck ever since! I think it has helped me. try it sometime. Also you maybe trying to kill the ball when u see it. Just think of it as your practice swing and just hit it where you want not trying to kill it. It is more a mental thing then anything else.

I would recommend:

A) learn how to imbed a video. :drinks:

B) make more practice swings in a mirror. I used to have this issue & my pro told me to stop beating so many balls & make 3x more swings in a mirror than balls I hit. This way you reinforce your perfect swing, versus ingraining your non perfect swing. It has really worked & my back has hurt a lot less.

I would recommend:

B) make more practice swings in a mirror. I used to have this issue & my pro told me to stop beating so many balls & make 3x more swings in a mirror than balls I hit. This way you reinforce your perfect swing, versus your non perfect swing. It has really worked & my back has hurt a lot less.

Funny cause I am the type takes practice swing after practice swing before I hit a ball. In fact, I take about 10...with a mirror. It's just that when the f**kin ball's in the way, out comes my inside takeaway with a shut clubface.

For example, tonight...I worked...HARD...on keeping the face square halfway back, with shoulder turn...minimizing my hip turn...with consistent spine angle, blah blah. When impact arrives, everything is blocked...which makes sense because I'm used to hitting shots straight with a shut clubface. I then work on releasing the club and swinging around my body (like hitting to left field) and that sorta squared up my square face.

I think I hit 2 good shots. Other than that, the rest of the 163 balls were blocks or push hooks.

I almost chucked my 6 iron out into the range.

You have 495 swings to make tonight. :drinks: I also recommend using a junior sized club with about a pound of lead tape on it or a swing sock so you can feel the face angle.

You know I was thinking about cutting down my clubs. Maybe that's the reason. That or it's time to hit the gym on a regular basis.

- hand and forearm strength a priority.

- thread updated. Please I don't like it when users are directed to my golf swing on youtube...and then stay there, watching everything from what I uploaded to other naughty vids. Please comment. I even welcome the negative.

Boba recommended using lighter clubs in order to feel headweight and face angle. Yay or Nay? I'm about to get them shortened 1/2". Currently swingweight is at D3 for irons.

You have 495 swings to make tonight. :drinks: I also recommend using a junior sized club with about a pound of lead tape on it or a swing sock so you can feel the face angle.

You know I was thinking about cutting down my clubs. Maybe that's the reason. That or it's time to hit the gym on a regular basis.

- hand and forearm strength a priority.

- thread updated. Please I don't like it when users are directed to my golf swing on youtube...and then stay there, watching everything from what I uploaded to other naughty vids. Please comment. I even welcome the negative.

Boba recommended using lighter clubs in order to feel headweight and face angle. Yay or Nay? I'm about to get them shortened 1/2". Currently swingweight is at D3 for irons.

I never said to chop down your set, I was trying to recommended a shorter/heavier club for your mirror work. The shorter club allows you to check if your club face is in your ideal place & the extra weight is good for you to sense where the head is.

My 6 irons

Next five rounds...No practice swings...Stick to pre-shot routine w/out the practice swing...

Identify target and swing to target...See what happens...

I like that. Also you may want to exaggerate your practice swings with your correction. If you saw Mike Weir in the PGA Grand Slam he was doing it for his pre-shot routine. Corey Pavin did that too. Any time I'm trying to make a swing change I try to exaggerate the feel in practice.

8.5* Nike Vapor Speed - 7m3
15* Cobra Amp Cell - Fubuki 70x
18* Adams A12 - GD DI 85x
20* Adams Super 9031 - UST VTS 100x
54*, 58* Nike VR Forged
5-PW Mizuno MP64 - PXi 6.0

I would recommend:

B) make more practice swings in a mirror. I used to have this issue & my pro told me to stop beating so many balls & make 3x more swings in a mirror than balls I hit. This way you reinforce your perfect swing, versus your non perfect swing. It has really worked & my back has hurt a lot less.

Funny cause I am the type takes practice swing after practice swing before I hit a ball. In fact, I take about 10...with a mirror. It's just that when the f**kin ball's in the way, out comes my inside takeaway with a shut clubface.

For example, tonight...I worked...HARD...on keeping the face square halfway back, with shoulder turn...minimizing my hip turn...with consistent spine angle, blah blah. When impact arrives, everything is blocked...which makes sense because I'm used to hitting shots straight with a shut clubface. I then work on releasing the club and swinging around my body (like hitting to left field) and that sorta squared up my square face.

I think I hit 2 good shots. Other than that, the rest of the 163 balls were blocks or push hooks.

Free your mind...you're worrying about to much crap when your over the ball. Try this pre-shot routine, walk behind ball picture alignment, ball flight, landing area....as you are looking down your shot take two swings to loosen up/get tempo (do not check set-up just swing once or twice while picturing shot), step to the ball with club in left hand, set club face square to target, step in, grip with right hand, now swing. Do not think about anything...just move with purpose from your visualization your swing. Watch an NBA player (besides Shaq) take free throws...they step to the line, look at the hoop, two bounces, set, focus on basket, and fire. Use this type of approach. I bet the best shots you have hit while playing or practicing you can't recall what you did, you just did it....trust your hand/eye coordination.

Next five rounds...No practice swings...Stick to pre-shot routine w/out the practice swing...

Identify target and swing to target...See what happens...

On the golf course, I don't do much when it comes to practice swings. Just a bit here and there with feeling the clubhead...all part of my routine.

On the range, it's different. We have 'garage door sized windows' directly behind each range stall and it serves as a mirror at night. I use it to the nth degree.

Five things are certain: I don't like the track of my hands, clubface is shut, plane on backswing is too flat, and the follow thru plane doesn't match my backswing plane. Last because of my shut clubface, reason says that I'm not releasing the clubhead...much like Trevino. I can hit the ball straight and score relatively low, but I want things to be square in my swing because I am a square.

Anway, thanks for the tip mikpga, I will try that.

I would recommend:

Free your mind...you're worrying about to much crap when your over the ball. Try this pre-shot routine, walk behind ball picture alignment, ball flight, landing area....as you are looking down your shot take two swings to loosen up/get tempo (do not check set-up just swing once or twice while picturing shot), step to the ball with club in left hand, set club face square to target, step in, grip with right hand, now swing. Do not think about anything...just move with purpose from your visualization your swing. Watch an NBA player (besides Shaq) take free throws...they step to the line, look at the hoop, two bounces, set, focus on basket, and fire. Use this type of approach. I bet the best shots you have hit while playing or practicing you can't recall what you did, you just did it....trust your hand/eye coordination.

You're talking about pre-shot routine. I'm talking about working on parts of my swing. I like your NBA analogy though.

I would recommend:

You're talking about pre-shot routine. I'm talking about working on parts of my swing. I like your NBA analogy though.

You can and should use/practice your pre-shot and mind clearing routine on the range, even if you are focusing on swing mechanics. Also, are you working one mechanic at a time? Many people, me included, have a tendency to work on to many mechanics in one session.

I would recommend:

You can and should use/practice your pre-shot and mind clearing routine on the range, even if you are focusing on swing mechanics. Also, are you working one mechanic at a time? Many people, me included, have a tendency to work on to many mechanics in one session.

Yeah, usually I use the last quarter of my balls for actual on course practice...which usually is just a pre-shot routine and then fire.

Here's what I usually see on the course from many people.. They all tend to take a fundementally correct and relaxed practice swing, but when it comes time to address the ball it's like it screams to them to just go ahead and beat the cr*p out of it in one swing, thus the shanks, hooks, tops, chunks, etc.

Well my thinking on this may be wrong, but the solution that works for me is that my practice swings are usually done the same amount of strength and speed as if I were actually hitting the ball which is usually trying to demolish the ball (YES I am one of those people too and I accept it!), this cuts out any guess work of topping, chunking, slicing, hooking the ball because I would uncover these faults in the full-force practice swing and then correct it before addressing the ball. Works for me most of the time! :drinks:

...step to the line, look at the hoop, two bounces, set, focus on basket, and fire. Use this type of approach. I bet the best shots you have hit while playing or practicing you can't recall what you did, you just did it....trust your hand/eye coordination.

Aaron Baddeley uses a similar analogy. As he puts it, you don't see a shortstop making fake practice throws after fielding a ball, or standing there staring at the ball before throwing. He gets his feet and body in position, looks at the target and fires.

If I am hearing you correctly, you are confident that the club doesn't shut during practice swing?

Are you absolutely sure of this? During your pre-shot routine, I would incorporate something which feels uncomfortably 'open' to you. Then try to repeat this during your swing.

How do you know your practice swings on course don't shut the face?

If I am hearing you correctly, you are confident that the club doesn't shut during practice swing?

Are you absolutely sure of this? During your pre-shot routine, I would incorporate something which feels uncomfortably 'open' to you. Then try to repeat this during your swing.

How do you know your practice swings on course don't shut the face? Something to think about...

Because I look at the clubface position halfway back and at the top and it's usually square to open. I consciously do this every practice swing. I try to fan the face open to see how my hands and wrists should feel during the takeaway and at the top. If I had included a longer video in which I show my practice swings, it shows that I actually have a laid off open clubface at the top.

At setup, my left hand grip is neutral to strong, with a bit of cup. I noticed that at the top of my swing, my left wrist is bowed. So I'm trying to work on having the same "cup" on the takeaway and throughout the backswing. I've been doing exercises which train my hands and wrists to cup and hinge in the right direction.

I've played baseball all my life and had some wrist injuries that make it uncomfortable to be in a "cupped" and "hinged" position at the top; maybe that's why my hands and wrists naturally "bow" at the top to make things comfortable for me. I've tried a neutral to weak grip position and continue with the bowed wrist position thru out the swing, but my impact position feels too weak. Anyway, I am, however, retraining my wrists.

You're right though, on the course I may not know if my practice swings have shut clubfaces.

The way I see it, a practice swing shouldn't be an attempt to get your technique together. It should be a rehearsal of what you're trying to do in terms of the power and shape of the shot. Basically, more target focused than swing focused.

I guess more than anything, I'm working on the shape of my backswing. I'm not trying to work on target practice or visualizing shot shape. I do of course, pick out a specific target while working on back swing thoughts but my intent isn't to see shot results, but to see the recording of my backswing and remember that feeling.

My misses are severe hooks, and so I'm trying to correct backswing positions mentioned in my first post.