2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Ace or not?

dpc

I'm playing a muni par 3 course by myself. This is a real par 3 course with holes from 125 to 180 with large bunkers and water in play on several holes. I was playing two balls to every hole. The sun had set and the last hole played back into the setting sun. The green was therefore in shadow while the sky was still somewhat bright. The pin is cut way right tucked behind a bunker. The shot called for a cut. My first shot felt fat and on the toe. It flew right at the pin but I didn't see it bounce so I assumed it was in the bunker. My second shot was toed even worse and landed to the right of the bunker. Frustrated I grabbed another ball and hit the shot I intended and it landed in the center of the green. Wanting to repeat the shot I grabbed another one and it was similar and landed within a few feet of my third in the center of the green.

I walked to my 2nd ball and pitched on over the bunker and proceeded to walk to the bunker - no ball. I walked around the bunker looking in the rough - no ball. Thinking it must have carried further than I thought I walked toward the back of the green, on the way by I took a glance into the cup laughing to myself... Holy Crap it's in the hole!

Some of my friends think it's an ace, a couple say no since I was playing multiple balls - even though this was my first shot to the green. So what say you GolfWRXers. Is this an ace or not? For posterity it was a 180 yd 5-iron.

Thanks,

dpc

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tough call, but I'd have to say no. At least for the official distinction. I just think it should come in the form of an actual round where you aren't just knocking all kinds of balls around. Like he said above, if it weren't on your first shot into the hole it'd probably be an easy no.

This is coming from a guy who's first 3 came at a Par 3 course and was given crap about the type of course. Funny thing is, when I got my first at a "real" course, the hole it was on (107yd) was shorter than all 3 at the Par 3 course (165, 127, 112yd). My first came on an April Fool's day round, but luckily I had a guy with me. :)

Either way, call it what you want and enjoy it. It'll happen some day. Nice shot!

Thanks for voting/commenting folks. If ever asked, I'll probably answer yes I've had an ace, but it was in practice. It's similar to bowling a 300 in practice - only flipped around. You have the internal pressure/anxiety of knowing what you're attempting, but without the external difficulties (alternating lanes, multiple bowlers, length of time between frames). Here I had the external difficulties - it was a real par 3, not a 60 yd flat pitch-n-putt, but I didn't have any of the internal pressure of trying to shoot a good score or save a bad one. It was a shot without consequences - a practice shot.

-dpc

• 3 weeks later...

Not a question - no dice.

[quote name='dpc' timestamp='1348279376' post='5676439']
I'm playing... ...by myself.

I was playing two balls to every hole.
[/quote]

[url="http://www.usga.org/RulesFAQ/rules_answer.asp?FAQidx=148"]http://www.usga.org/....asp?FAQidx=148[/url]

Not an official endorsement, but you are excluded from the USGA considerations.
[quote name='USGA'] a hole-in-one made in a practice round in which the player is playing two or more balls should not be acceptable.

...attested by someone acceptable to the Committee.
[/quote]

(edited to amend my USGA statements)

• 2 weeks later...

I'm playing a muni par 3 course by myself. This is a real par 3 course with holes from 125 to 180 with large bunkers and water in play on several holes. I was playing two balls to every hole. The sun had set and the last hole played back into the setting sun. The green was therefore in shadow while the sky was still somewhat bright. The pin is cut way right tucked behind a bunker. The shot called for a cut. My first shot felt fat and on the toe. It flew right at the pin but I didn't see it bounce so I assumed it was in the bunker. My second shot was toed even worse and landed to the right of the bunker. Frustrated I grabbed another ball and hit the shot I intended and it landed in the center of the green. Wanting to repeat the shot I grabbed another one and it was similar and landed within a few feet of my third in the center of the green.

I walked to my 2nd ball and pitched on over the bunker and proceeded to walk to the bunker - no ball. I walked around the bunker looking in the rough - no ball. Thinking it must have carried further than I thought I walked toward the back of the green, on the way by I took a glance into the cup laughing to myself... Holy Crap it's in the hole!

Some of my friends think it's an ace, a couple say no since I was playing multiple balls - even though this was my first shot to the green. So what say you GolfWRXers. Is this an ace or not? For posterity it was a 180 yd 5-iron.

Thanks,
dpc
[/quote]RULES OF GOLF SAY THAT ONCE A BALL IS HOLED, IT IS HOLED...DOESN'T MATTER IF YOU HIT A PROVISIONAL, HIT 12 WRONG BALLS, IT IS HOLED AND THEREFORE A ONE. IF YOU HAVE BEEN PLAYING MULTIPLE BALLS BEFORE THIS HOLE, it would not be a postable score. If you finish the round, it is a hole in one but there are also length restrictions of what is a real round of golf.

G25 10.5,15,16.5,17
Diablo Edge 3-pw
Oddeysey White Ice #6
Every kind of wedge there is

Thanks,
dpc
[/quote]a good story for you...I live on a course and we are by my patio on number 3, a par 4. my friend who lives over on number 1, also a par 4 is by my house....we are chipping and stuff and he takes a full swing, the ball goes over the trees and goes in the hole on number 2, a par 3....it was about a 170 yard or more shot from my fairway. If only it had counted for something. the same guy also was on number 9 and thought his ball had gone OB over the green. so he played a provisional and sank it for a par. then someone found his first ball behind the green and then he chopped it up for a triple.

G25 10.5,15,16.5,17
Diablo Edge 3-pw
Oddeysey White Ice #6

Thanks,
dpc
[/quote]usga ruling...two guys were playing the same kind and number ball. both hit into the sun on a par 3. one went in, one was 2 inches away. what is the ruling? they both had lost balls and had to hit again since they could not idientify the ball.

G25 10.5,15,16.5,17
Diablo Edge 3-pw
Oddeysey White Ice #6

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks,
dpc

Sorry to say but no ace.