Ryder Cup Press Conference

blauzzy

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='blauzzy' timestamp='1349068728' post='5728799']
Did anyone see the Team USA press conference? Some guy asked some weird question to the USA team and everyone on the team looked pissed and no one answered the question? What was that all about
[/quote]

He asked if anyone "asked their Creator for help" during the matches. It was a strange question.

That wasn't the most awkward moment, though. Jim Furyk looked like he burned a hole through the soul of the person that asked him which loss was toughest for him this year. Furyk: "It's pretty obvious you've never been on a team". Boom.

[quote name='monkeynaut' timestamp='1349069618' post='5728857']
But the real answer was US Open. C'mon it's a major.
[/quote]

I dunno man. A whole team suffering a loss because of you let them down can be a helluva lot more disappointing, he played badly and he lost the US Open, he suffers from his own actions, yet here you can argue that the entire team lost because he played badly.

Any links to the press conferences at all please??

Callaway Paradym Ai Smoke Max 10.5 Driver/MCA Vanquish 4 Stiff
Titleist TSR2+ 13.0 degree 3 wood/MCA Tensei Pro White Boron 70 Stiff
Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 15.0 degree (@ 17) 3 wood/MCA Tensei Pro White Boron 70 Stiff
Ping G430 22.0 degree 4 hybrid/MCA Kai’Li White HY 80 Stiff
Taylormade P790 2021 5-PW irons/Nippon Modus Tour 3 120 Stiff (soft-stepped)

Taylormade MG3 50 degree SB/Nippon Modus Tour 3 120 Stiff (soft-stepped)

Taylormade MG3 54 degree HB/Nippon Modus Tour 3 120 Stiff (soft-stepped)
Taylormade MG3 58 degree LB/Nippon Modus Tour 3 120 Stiff (soft-stepped)
Odyssey White Hot OG 7 Bird 34” putter/Stroke Lab double bend shaft
Taylormade TP5x/Titleist Pro V1x ball

Vessel/Cobra Tour bag 2022

[quote name='bmaas03' timestamp='1349069486' post='5728849']
Did anyone see the Team USA press conference? Some guy asked some weird question to the USA team and everyone on the team looked pissed and no one answered the question? What was that all about
[/quote]

[b]He asked if anyone "asked their Creator for help" during the matches. It was a strange question.[/b]

That wasn't the most awkward moment, though. Jim Furyk looked like he burned a hole through the soul of the person that asked him which loss was toughest for him this year. Furyk: "It's pretty obvious you've never been on a team". Boom.
[/quote]

Maybe the reporter was taking a slap at the guys who referenece their religion when they win.

[quote name='rlynham' timestamp='1349095463' post='5729543']
[/quote]

[b]He asked if anyone "asked their Creator for help" during the matches. It was a strange question.[/b]

[/quote]

Maybe the reporter was taking a slap at the guys who referenece their religion when they win.
[/quote]

Mockers gonna mock...

Callaway Rogue 10.5
Callaway 3Deep w/PX 6.0
Ping i20 2 Hy & Idea Pro 4 Hy
Ping i25 5-UW
Scotty Cameron Notchback
Ping Tour Gorge 54 & Vokey SM8 58

The Euro conference was an embarassment. Sergio acted like a giant tool. Completely the opposite of the class shown by Olazabal.

Mizuno ST200G 9° / Aldila Synergy Black Proto 75-TX   
TC Callaway XHot 3DEEP 13° / Graphite Design DI-10 TX

TC Callaway X2Hot 5DEEP 18.5° bent to 17° / Fujikura Ventus Black 10x

Callaway X-Forged UT 21° / Fujikura Ventus Black 10-TX

Callaway X-Forged UT 25° / Nippon Super Peening Blue X hs1x 

Raw Mizuno MP-32 6-PW / Nippon Super Peening Blue X hs1x 

Titleist Vokey SM8 Black 50.08F / Nippon Super Peening Blue X Stage-stepped
Titleist Vokey SM8 Black 54.12D / Nippon Super Peening Blue X Stage-stepped

Titleist Vokey SM8 Black 58.14K / Nippon Super Peening Blue X Stage-stepped
Mizuno M-Craft I Blue Ion 365g / Stability Shaft

[quote name='jeffrott' timestamp='1349094309' post='5729457']
Furyk choked twice this year and DL3 picks him over Van Pelt, Watney, Fowler, HUH???
[/quote]

Van Pelt should have been on this year's team PERIOD. During the last 2 months or so he was playing some LIGHTS out golf. Instead DL picked his friends........didn't work out to well.

Not to say its going to happen but if BVP wins a major next year.........DL3 is going to relive more Ryder Cup bs.

As far as Watney and Fowler.....Watney I feel could never handle this stage. Fowler hasn't been playing great lately so....

[quote name='Nike Markiie' timestamp='1349113055' post='5731357']
Furyk choked twice this year and DL3 picks him over Van Pelt, Watney, Fowler, HUH???
[/quote]

Van Pelt should have been on this year's team PERIOD. During the last 2 months or so he was playing some LIGHTS out golf. Instead DL picked his friends........didn't work out to well.

Not to say its going to happen but if BVP wins a major next year.........DL3 is going to relive more Ryder Cup bs.

As far as Watney and Fowler.....Watney I feel could never handle this stage. Fowler hasn't been playing great lately so....
[/quote]

All this talk about BVP is interesting considering the one and only time he had an opportunity to win this year, he bogied 16, 17, and 18 in the final round (16 being a par 5).

I think there were some good statistical arguments for picking BVP, but performance under pressure was not one.

[quote name='albiefresh' timestamp='1349113458' post='5731405']
[quote name='Nike Markiie' timestamp='1349113055' post='5731357']
[/quote]

[/quote]

All this talk about BVP is interesting considering the one and only time he had an opportunity to win this year, he bogied 16, 17, and 18 in the final round (16 being a par 5).

I think there were some good statistical arguments for picking BVP, but performance under pressure was not one.
[/quote]

Great post with a great stat.

I will say JF's 2 big melt downs this year can over shadow BVP's that's for sure.

[quote name='fordy11' timestamp='1349097595' post='5729683']
Am trying to find the euro one to watch, was hilarious. Is on golf channels site but the vid isn't working. US one there also
[/quote]

Would be good to see that if it's out there.......any help much appreciated.

Callaway Paradym Ai Smoke Max 10.5 Driver/MCA Vanquish 4 Stiff
Titleist TSR2+ 13.0 degree 3 wood/MCA Tensei Pro White Boron 70 Stiff
Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 15.0 degree (@ 17) 3 wood/MCA Tensei Pro White Boron 70 Stiff
Ping G430 22.0 degree 4 hybrid/MCA Kai’Li White HY 80 Stiff
Taylormade P790 2021 5-PW irons/Nippon Modus Tour 3 120 Stiff (soft-stepped)

Taylormade MG3 50 degree SB/Nippon Modus Tour 3 120 Stiff (soft-stepped)

Taylormade MG3 54 degree HB/Nippon Modus Tour 3 120 Stiff (soft-stepped)
Taylormade MG3 58 degree LB/Nippon Modus Tour 3 120 Stiff (soft-stepped)
Odyssey White Hot OG 7 Bird 34” putter/Stroke Lab double bend shaft
Taylormade TP5x/Titleist Pro V1x ball

Vessel/Cobra Tour bag 2022

[quote name='Gareth ' timestamp='1349113785' post='5731439']
[quote name='fordy11' timestamp='1349097595' post='5729683']
Am trying to find the euro one to watch, was hilarious. Is on golf channels site but the vid isn't working. US one there also
[/quote]

Would be good to see that if it's out there.......any help much appreciated.
[/quote]

http://www.golfchannel.com/media/live-from-2012-sunday-feature-5/

find the "One Happy Group" video.

[/quote]
Weird, especially since so many in the US portray this line of having a strong faith. So why would they get jumpy at this question? I´m sure Bubba would have loved to answer that question.

[quote name='stage1350' timestamp='1349112801' post='5731331']
The Euro conference was an embarassment. Sergio acted like a giant tool. Completely the opposite of the class shown by Olazabal.
[/quote]
By that time these guys probably were so lit up already - when they are finished celebrating they have to sober up for a week before even allowed on an airplane again!

Maybe the reporter was taking a slap at the guys who referenece their religion when they win.[/quote]

I would say that was definitely his motive, not probably.

Can't say they don't ask for it, namely Webb Simpson. After Bubba and Simpson won their first match and were interviewed, Bubba focused strictly on the golf aspect. Simpson went the other way, with a tribute that forced Dottie Pepper to wait for his response. The second guy interviewed in that spot generally needs to be quick, since the network is trying to get a brief word then return to the action.

I certainly cringed during Simpson's remark, and I didn't think the press conference question was out of line. Frankly, I was wondering if the drunk Europeans would make a reference, that they were taking care of business, as always, while the Americans were expecting help.

Otherwise, the question to Furyk had to be asked. The reporter screwed it up by adding the sentence about letting down your teammates. That allowed Furyk to become defensive.

The European press conference was disappointing. Sergio is not funny and tried to be funny. He insisted on interjecting regardless who the question was directed to. Westwood would have been a treat to listen to but he apparently was so drunk none of the questions were posed to him, probably to stave off potential embarrassment. The camera was never on his face. Still, Westwood delivered the best line, the altered European qualifying method -- "9 on points, 2 picks, and Poults." He called it the "Poults Clause."

[/quote]

So do I understand you correctly, your team went quiet at the end, just like your fans????

[/quote]That's exactly what it was. Watson, Simpson, Johnson and maybe one or two more do wear their Christianity on their sleeves, something I really have no problem with myself. But for sure the wuss reporter was taking a (subtle) shot.
[/quote]I agree. I thought the European conference was very childish.

Cleveland Launcher DTS 9*
Exotics CB 13*
Ping i3 17*

Callaway Steelhead 3 20*

Nickent 3DX 23*26*29*
MacGregor VIP V-Foil 1025 C - 7-PW
Ping Eye2 51*57.5*
Seemore WGP
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1013287-my-v-foils/"]WITB Link[/url]

I was rooting for Europe and the Press conferences were interesting to watch. Drunk happy euros (should have turned off the mikes though for those not talking too much frat humor).
USA was gutted.
I think the whacky dude asking about help from creator was as someone already mentioned a slam at those who bring up god everytime they win... As if God picked them over others.
Worst for this is Webb Simpson and second is Zach Johnson.
Webb especially starts every interview saying how his lord and savior helped him... I get it. You are religious but it makes it sound odd as if God has you in his pool lol.

[quote name='TheDoubleJ' timestamp='1349115012' post='5731571']
[/quote]

So do I understand you correctly, your team went quiet at the end, just like your fans????
[/quote]

Let it go already...

The creator question was silly....what was the point? Other than an angle of mocking someone for their faith, like Awsi pointed out....there wasn't one. I like how the MC picked up on it and quickly moved on....

Funnier question was the drunk guy asking the question during the European presser. He was mumbling something about how awesome Poulter is, then rambled a bit more....til Sergio said "are you drunk?" and they moved on....hilarious. Then there was the golfpunk magazine d-bag....he actually called the team "epic" then rambled on about various shots they hit.....clearly just listening to himself talk....I like how the Euro team replied....they just started saying "DUDE!".....again, hilarious.

He asked if anyone "asked their Creator for help" during the matches. It was a strange question.

[/quote]

I thought Jim handled that question with guts. I really feel for him as he blew some great chances this year and may be known for that instead of his great career. Others may not have answered the question at all - or may have been more snotty about it. Jim took it on as difficult as it may be. I applaud him for that, even though I was super angry at him for probably choking it way.

[/quote]
Its a pretty insulting question I thought.

[edited: NO RELIGIOUS COMMENTARY HERE PER FORUM RULES]

As to the guy who mentioned Bubba's master's speech. I was actually shocked that he didn't talk about his faith considering that it was only Easter - probably the most important day of the Christian faith.

[/quote]

I didn't think he was that bad, he tried to answer his questions and be funny. I didn't think any of it was that bad, other than guys' without the mic speaking while their partners were speaking. But so what, they won, they deserve to celebrate. JMO is a class act, I love that guy. What a great captain.