2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Why Tiger's grip is BAD,BAD,BAD

davidhowellaaa

He continues to struggle with his DRIVER
Tiger uses a deep interlocking grip, and, as a result, the shaft wants to point above the ball. Think about it: how many times have we seen Jack and Tiger waggle the clubhead above the ball at address? [/size][/color][/font]

They also both share a tendency to hover the clubhead above the ball as they stare down the target. Because of the deep interlocking grip, both men instinctively allow the shaft of the club to leave the forearms at an angle that rests above the ball. So, to reiterate, we can identify two subtle yet highly significant flaws in the interlocking grip: [/size][/color][/font]

1. The interlocking grip encourages the left thumb to extend 'long' down the clubshaft. [/size][/color][/font]

2. The interlocking grip changes the angle between the shaft and the left forearm at address (and at the top of the backswing). [/size][/color][/font]

As you can see opposite, the implications of the deep interlock, and the way it affects the shaft angle and the wrists and forearms at the set-up, are clear in the first move away from the ball. The clubface remains a little 'shut', or hooded, as the club moves those first crucial few feet (very Tiger-esque). [/size][/color][/font]

As a consequence, the forearm rotation that should occur very mildly in the takeaway is stifled. The clubface will, likely as not, end up being 'shut' at the top of the backswing, forcing the golfer to re-route the club in the downswing to keep loft on the clubface at impact. [/size][/color][/font]

This extremely subtle fault might not cause you too many problems with, say, a 3-wood, which has sufficient loft to get you out of trouble. But a driver simply won't tolerate the compensations; at best you would probably tend to fade your tee shots( Tiger plays a stinger when he is struggling) – but my guess is that you would also fight hitting those destructive pulls and blocks. Remind you of anyone?. Players who use an interlocking grip, I believe, sacrifice the fundamental safety of Hogan's example, for the interlocking grip is biomechanically flawed when compared to the Vardon (and indeed Baseball) grip. [/color]This might seem a ludicrous claim to make when the two greatest players of the modern era – namely Jack Nicklaus and Tiger Woods – have made history with the interlocking grip.

However, Nicklaus is on record as saying that the one and only thing he would change about his technique, with the benefit of hindsight, would be his grip. And Tiger's knee surgery (not to mention his on-going battle to keep the ball in play off the tee) can, in my opinion, be explained by his use of the deep interlock

[/size][/color][/font]

mod edit: annoying color, size, and/or font changes removed.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think you need that many bads.

If you can fix Tiger then you should contact him, I see the way he is playing and obviously Haney isn't helping.

(cool) :tongue: :ok:

Tiger IS struggling right now I mean he DID come in 3rd at Dubai....maybe a grip change will help

I can just see where this thread is going

I don't think you need that many bads.

If you can fix Tiger then you should contact him, I see the way he is playing and obviously Haney isn't helping.

(cool) :tongue: :ok:

Tiger IS struggling right now I mean he DID come in 3rd at Dubai....maybe a grip change will help

I can just see where this thread is going

Between the bad, bad, bad grip, inferior Nike clubs, and not using an Ozik he is leaving literally hundreds of yards on the table.

If the interlock is good enough for Tiger and Jack, it's good enough for me. They obviously have been doing something right. Besides, this is what my Grandfather taught me, so I'm sticking to it.

So you saying Tiger can win MORE if he changes his grip? What more do you expect from him. What more did you expect out of Jack? Isn't 17 majors enough?

Yes. That closed clubface due to the inherently flawed grip is evident in this pic..

Look at that position.. Awful... totally out of kilter with the back of the left hand.

How on earth does he dominate the game with this clear fault? (cool)

Nike Ignite 410 10.5° Grafalloy Blue X

Nike T60 15° Fujikura Speeder 757 X

Titleist 913F 19° Mitsubishi Diamana BB 83X or Titleist 712U 2-iron 19° KBS Tour S

Titleist 712U 3-iron 22° KBS Tour S

Titleist 681 4-iron to 9-iron KBS Tour S

Titleist SM5 48.08F Raw 49° KBS Tour S

Titleist SM5 56.10M Raw 56° KBS Tour S

Ping Eye 2 Gorge L Wedge 60° KBS Tour S  &  Ping Pal

Must be something he has done all his life, since Tiger himself says he has never been a good driver of the ball. Since he is as long as anyone else in the game, one can only assume he was talking about accuracy. Why should he change it keeps the challenge in there. What fun would it be if he won everything he entered. Interesting article about two tours now on the PGA. Tiger plays in events and the others which have no TV interest and 35% less ticket sales etc. etc......

This is one thing I have never understood and probably never will.

Why do some people sit around and critique pros? Are they pros themselves? If so, maybe I can handle that, if not I can't stand it. (cool)

The main point of this...well....crap is that someone is critiquing not only Tiger Woods who is undoubtedly one of the best golfers we will ever see if not the best, but he is critiquing the man that Tiger chases in Jack Nicklaus.

So what if there gripping of the club doesn't suit you. It seems to suit them and by the way I look at, with all of their wins in tournaments including all the majors they have won why should they change?

Let's just let the pros critique themselves. We shouldn't be doing it especially when it involves two of the greatest players in the game!

Why do some people sit around and critique pros? Are they pros themselves? If so, maybe I can handle that, if not I can't stand it. (cool)

The main point of this...well....crap is that someone is critiquing not only Tiger Woods who is undoubtedly one of the best golfers we will ever see if not the best, but he is critiquing the man that Tiger chases in Jack Nicklaus.

So what if there gripping of the club doesn't suit you. It seems to suit them and by the way I look at, with all of their wins in tournaments including all the majors they have won why should they change?

Let's just let the pros critique themselves. We shouldn't be doing it especially when it involves two of the greatest players in the game!

Agreed and why do idiots sitting at home call the Tour when they think they see a rules violation? I hate that too.

Agreed and why do idiots sitting at home call the Tour when they think they see a rules violation? I hate that too.

Agreed!!!! I absolutley hate that! Just let them play the game and if they cheat and know it will be on them. If they don't know it then so be it. What is the point in calling? Do we call the NBA everytime there is a charge and it is called a blocking foul? Do we call the NFL everytime there is a hold that is missed? The answer is no. We need to stop the insanity!

I personally think that tigers game is fine, and I wish my game could suck like his does. But I must give the man credit he stood up and flamed tiger while he is playing well, unlike those among us who flamed him during the rebuilding and now treat it like we knew it all along. So I disagree, but I give you credit for sticking to your guns.

I personally think that tigers game is fine, and I wish my game could suck like his does. But I must give the man credit he stood up and flamed tiger while he is playing well, unlike those among us who flamed him during the rebuilding and now treat it like we knew it all along. So I disagree, but I give you credit for sticking to your guns.

I'll give him that, but I will tell you that I am not criticizing any pro out there as I realize one thing. They make their living doing this and I don't. They are ten times better than I ever will be able to touch. I know my place and it is not to criticize them.

LOOK GUYS I know these are very talented golfers who are mentally the strongest,work the hardest and are fantastic through the ball BUT..... I am saying that their grips get them in to trouble as they have to make compensations later on. Enough of the sarcasm guys... I am trying to help you play better golf by remembering the fundamentals devised by BEN HOGAN.[/b][/font]

If you want to see a major winner give CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM then go on to...[/font][/b]

[/font][/b]

The dangers and the limitations of the deep Interlocking grip... [/b][/font]

To understand what I mean by the 'dangers and limitations of the deep interlock', try this test: Start by holding a club with the Vardon grip, then revert to an interlocking grip, entwining the little finger of the right hand with the index finger of the left. If you can do this without the rest of your grip moving or changing, the result will be what I would term a 'shallow' interlock (inset above – the way to interlock with safety).[/font]

Now I want you to drive those interlocking fingers together, so they combine as deeply as possible, the web of each interlocking finger virtually touching. As a result of doing this it is almost certain that your left thumb will be forced to stretch down the grip, possibly dislodging the palm and fingers of the right hand. The left thumb is 'long' but without being too 'strong'. What are the implications of this? [/font]

Well, this type of 'long' left thumb forces the shaft of the club to leave the line of the left forearm at almost 90 degrees! When Hogan used the Vardon grip, albeit a little strongly, the shaft naturally flowed from his hands and forearms towards the ball at address.[/font]

mod edit: annoying color, size, and/or font changes removed.

LOOK GUYS I know these are very talented golffers who are mentally the strongest,work the hardest and are fantastic through the ball BUT..... I am saying that their grips get them in to trouble as they have to make compensastions later on. Enough of the sarcasm guys... I am trying to help you play better golf by remembering the fundamentals devised by BEN HOGAN.

If you want to see a major winner give CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM then go on to...

The dangers and the limitations of the deep Interlocking grip...

To understand what I mean by the 'dangers and limitations of the deep interlock', try this test: Start by holding a club with the Vardon grip, then revert to an interlocking grip, entwining the little finger of the right hand with the index finger of the left. If you can do this without the rest of your grip moving or changing, the result will be what I would term a 'shallow' interlock (inset above – the way to interlock with safety).

Now I want you to drive those interlocking fingers together, so they combine as deeply as possible, the web of each interlocking finger virtually touching. As a result of doing this it is almost certain that your left thumb will be forced to stretch down the grip, possibly dislodging the palm and fingers of the right hand. The left thumb is 'long' but without being too 'strong'. What are the implications of this?

Well, this type of 'long' left thumb forces the shaft of the club to leave the line of the left forearm at almost 90 degrees! When Hogan used the Vardon grip, albeit a little strongly, the shaft naturally flowed from his hands and forearms towards the ball at address.

Did you even look at the picture above of Tiger at the top?!?!?! That is PERFECT.

Secondly, Tiger and Nicklaus are not Hogan. What worked for Hogan isn't going to work for everyone. Everyone is unique and some people, like me, have short stubby fingers that make the Vardon grip a bad choice. It is people that try to force the same exact grip/swing/path on everyone that never really help anyone.

WITB:
Driver: Taylormade SIM 2  
3W: Honma TR21  
4-6: Honma TR-21V  

7-10: Honma TR21B  
52*: Vokey 52F
58*: Vokey 58D
64*: Vokey 64M (62 bent to 64)
Putter: Depends on the day and which ones are in time out
Ball: ProV1x

uh.... that is tigers putting grip...

lol beat me to the punch.

I call BS on this thread.

that is not his putter grip, he doesnt interlock when he putts...he overlaps his left pointer and middle finger over the pinky ring and middle fingers of the left hand.

Also...when was the last time you saw Tiger putt with his glove on eh?

To get back on topic...bashing the #1 in the world and how he swings. wow. tigers idol is jack and jack was the best back in his era and tiger is the best in his era so that says a lot about their grips. must work for them.

-----------------------------

i had to come back and edit this after i read the OPs last post. i cannot believe you are sitting here telling us that tiger has a swing flaw and then put a link to Player comparing Hogan to Tiger. Um, well lets anyalze Hogans swing. Why does his foot come off the ground? Why is hes follow thru horrible looking?

I could go on and on and tell you things that are wrong in Hogans swing that Tiger doesnt have. And second of all, i dont care what Gary Player says but a flat wrist at the top is the best position in golf. Go watch the 2 flawless swings in the game, Tiger and Adam Scott, and tell me what their wrist is like at the top. FLAT!

I dont mean to be disrespectful or anything but Tiger is the best player out there, and in my opinion the best of all time *notice i said opinion*. I just find it hard to believe someone, not to mention a golf enthusiast, can bash on Tiger and his swing.

Just my $0.02

By the way, the picture you posted is at an off angle. That club is in perfect position, Tiger is aimed left of that picture.

As for the video you posted, why did you pick a video of analysis buy a guy who uses an INTERLOCKING GRIP when you're trying to say it's not as good.

WITB:
Driver: Taylormade SIM 2  
3W: Honma TR21  
4-6: Honma TR-21V  

7-10: Honma TR21B  
52*: Vokey 52F
58*: Vokey 58D
64*: Vokey 64M (62 bent to 64)
Putter: Depends on the day and which ones are in time out
Ball: ProV1x