Where would you retire to golf?

Comments

• redlabelredlabel Members Posts: 303
    edited Apr 1, 2013 #92
    act0fgod wrote:

redlabel wrote:

I am in the midst of planning mine right now and at 62 will start my retirement next year. My kids and grandkids will not let me sell my MN lakehome

so will be wintering in the south. My interests are golf, motorcycling, and hunting so I am going to sell my house, spend summers at the lake and buy

a motorhome with a trailer for the Goldwing. I am planning to spend the first winter in Alabama playing the courses of the Robert Trent Jones Trail and

motorcycling, North Carolina and Tennessee weather permitting.

Fly back home for Christmas as we always spend a week to 10 days at the lake doing Christmas, snowmobiling, and ice fishing with our kids and grandkids.

The second year it will be back to Alabama or another spot. A 12 month membership that includes play on all but two of the RBT courses and range balls is only $1800.00. Parking for the motorhome will be around $400.00 a month. One can purchase one heck of a nice camper for around $250,000.00.

Buying the motorhome this summer and giving it a trial run at Sturgis in August.
    Sounds like you need one of these racks. I'm trying to get one made for my bike. http://2x2cycles.com...lf-bag-carrier/

I had this one made by a local welder after drawing a picture of what I wanted. It mounts to the receiver hitch. The only problem I have is it blocks the

license plate and the 2x2 would solve that. I am having a local high schooler make a wider one to hold two bags for a tech ed project. I traded the wife

for a girl friend that plays golf and loves motorcycling so now I need to carry two sets. (the ex-wife tells the story differently)

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]"People in a hurry, shouldn't play golf"[/font]

Ping G400 9.5
    Ping G400 3, 5 Woods
    Ping G400 3, 4 Hybrids
    Mizuno JPX 850 4 - PW, G, SW

Odyssey Works Tank Cruiser 38"

Callaway Chrome Soft Truvis Yellow/Black
    Bat Caddy X4r
  • golfheaven69golfheaven69 Members Posts: 1,143 ✭✭
    I'm leaning towards HHI but interested in Sea Island, Ga and Destin, Fl. Don't know much about either but hear good things. Definitely will join a private club. Any advice would be appreciated.
  • peanutandjellypeanutandjelly pinging away Members Posts: 2,737
    ukalum wrote:

You have a $125k/yr retirement income and want to find a great golf area to live. Where would you go? Florida, Arizona, California, or somewhere else? Would you become a snowbird? Membership, or public links?
    if it weren't for the governor and legislatures of california, it is ideal....too bad they keep jacking up the taxes to pay for all the illegals and union pensions....figure on taxes taking at least 30 pct or more of your 125 fund. oh year, sales tax just went up, gas is the most expensive in the us.....If I didn't live here, I would pick Florida even tho the humidity is much worse in the summer.
    G25 10.5,15,16.5,17
    Diablo Edge 3-pw
    Oddeysey White Ice #6
    Every kind of wedge there is
  • PulleyPulley Pulley Members Posts: 175
    HackerDave wrote:

moonshine wrote:

Harbor Town is fab....may be cheaper late afternoon...don't be afraid to ask for a deal! May River but I think you have to stay there to play...pick up one of the golf books they print and look for deals. I think Hampton Hall allows outside play, heard it was worth the drive to Bluffton area. Have fun...both of you!

Some guys really like Hampton Hall but I just don't get it. It's OK but kind of beige. I prefer Oldfield and they allow some outside play. It's not far from there. If you can, get out on Berkeley Hall. Played that a couple of weeks ago and loved it!!! T

Off Island the top three are probably Colleton River, Berkeley Hall and Belfair. Right now you can get a lot for FREE and some will pay your first years dues to get out. They are great communities, it's just that people bought on speculation and now have decided not to build a home but the annual dues bill keeps rolling in. You can google the story from the WSJ discussing the plight/opportunity down there.

That of course leads to the next question. How financially stable are these communities? Haven't looked that closely yet because we are a few years further out than you are. Each community has two spectacular golf courses. Plenty of options for golf..... plenty of cost to maintain. I think the annual dues are around $12k a year. Not horrible when you consider the quality of golf. They have reciprocal arrangements in the off season so your golfing options are pretty spectacular.

Traffic can be pretty brutal during the summer (peak tourist season) but in my opinion it is worth it. There is simply so much to do down there. Biking, fishing, tennis, golf...etc

On Island I think Long Cove is the way to go. The houses are fairly reasonable and the golf is one of the best in the state. It's a smaller community so it has only one golf course but it's spectacular (from what I have heard). Have not played it yet. Need to get on that! ;-)

I'm a member at Berkeley Hall & I love it! Two great courses but the members are really down to earth. I am a NPO & live in Beaufort, a 30 minute drive from my driveway to the bag drop.
  • MichiganMikeMichiganMike Members Posts: 576
    Ireland. If not permanently, then at least seasonally or for a year or two. I'm still a veteran young guy so retirement is still a ways off for me, but Ireland is in the plans. I'll do it for however long it takes me to play virtually everywhere once, and my favorites several times.
    redlabel wrote:

I am in the midst of planning mine right now and at 62 will start my retirement next year. My kids and grandkids will not let me sell my MN lakehome

so will be wintering in the south. My interests are golf, motorcycling, and hunting so I am going to sell my house, spend summers at the lake and buy

a motorhome with a trailer for the Goldwing. I am planning to spend the first winter in Alabama playing the courses of the Robert Trent Jones Trail and

motorcycling, North Carolina and Tennessee weather permitting.

Fly back home for Christmas as we always spend a week to 10 days at the lake doing Christmas, snowmobiling, and ice fishing with our kids and grandkids.

The second year it will be back to Alabama or another spot. A 12 month membership that includes play on all but two of the RBT courses and range balls is only $1800.00. Parking for the motorhome will be around $400.00 a month. One can purchase one heck of a nice camper for around $250,000.00.

Buying the motorhome this summer and giving it a trial run at Sturgis in August.

Congratulations. Sounds like one heck of a plan.
  • indyvaiindyvai Members Posts: 1,527
  • Badgergolfer2Badgergolfer2 Members Posts: 1,355
    Florida or Arizona due to the weather. Id have a summer home in Madison, WI though, so that I could hit up Whisting Straights, Blackwolf Run and Trapper's Turn ever summer.
  • Golf-JunkieGolf-Junkie Members Posts: 361
    Somewhere with low cost of living, low taxe rates, great golf, and good food...

Arizona

Carolinas

Texas
  • ModadModad Members Posts: 48 ✭✭
    I'm surprised that no one has mentioned Hot Springs Village, Arkansas. A gated community with quality golf (8 courses), $36 a month POA fees, $30 rounds including cart and home prices starting in the $120's. It's a great place to 'headquarter'; and on that budget you can own a home, play great golf, and take extended vacations if you choose!
    Cobra F8 Tour AD 6S @ 44"
    BioCell FW EvenFlow Blue 75 6.0
    BioCell 19, 22, 25* hybrids
    Mizuno JPX 900 Hot Metal- Nippon Modus 3 105s
    Cleveland CG12 DSG 56*& 60*
    Spider Tour Red
    Modad wrote:

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned Hot Springs Village, Arkansas. A gated community with quality golf (8 courses), $36 a month POA fees, $30 rounds including cart and home prices starting in the $120's. It's a great place to 'headquarter'; and on that budget you can own a home, play great golf, and take extended vacations if you choose!

In the middle of no where may be a reason. My stop will be at the coast or mountains.
  • wingedfoot97wingedfoot97 Members Posts: 864 ✭✭
    Sea Island.
    Titleist CB irons 3-PW
    Vokey Wedges
    Odyssey putter
  • CobraKatCobraKat Los AngelesMembers Posts: 79 ✭✭

ukalum wrote:

You have a $125k/yr retirement income and want to find a great golf area to live. Where would you go? Florida, Arizona, California, or somewhere else? Would you become a snowbird? Membership, or public links?
    if it weren't for the governor and legislatures of california, it is ideal....too bad they keep jacking up the taxes to pay for all the illegals and union pensions....figure on taxes taking at least 30 pct or more of your 125 fund. oh year, sales tax just went up, gas is the most expensive in the us.....If I didn't live here, I would pick Florida even tho the humidity is much worse in the summer.

This is one of the more ignorant posts I've come across on this site and I'm surprised it hasn't called out for its politicization of an innocent question. But since you brought it up, unions and the GI Bill created the middle class. "Illegals" are doing jobs we don't want to do. And if you're going to hate on foreigners, hate on the ones actually taking our jobs who happen to still be in their home countries working in factories put there by American companies drawn by the slave wages allowed there. California is the 6th largest economy in the WORLD and will do fine without your racism. Bye.
  • Zac1321Zac1321 Members Posts: 113 ✭✭
    don't want to comment on politics at all but just an observation that its kind of funny to revitalize a thread from 5 years ago not addressing anything remotely close to the original topic just to take a stance on "racism". That being said i am far from retirement age and am planning on getting out in the near future. In my opinion apart from the weather California in general is a terrible choice to live for golf except for the palm springs area especially on a125k/yr budget.

getting out of California*
  • TheLarchTheLarch Major Winner Members Posts: 964 ✭✭
    I'll move back to Dallas. No argument it's really hot in the summer, but it's not nearly as bad as the Vietnam-like humidity of western Kentucky.
    TaylorMade 2016 M2 HL Driver 
    TaylorMade 2016 M2 3 wood 15*
    TaylorMade RBZ 5 wood 19*
    TaylorMade RBZ hybrid 22*
    TaylorMade AeroBurner HL irons 4/AW
    Cleveland 588 56* SW
    Ping Zing 2 BeCu putter
  • davep043davep043 Members Posts: 3,090 ✭✭
    I'm closing in on retirement age, and our plan is to move to the Pinehurst NC area. Good golf is plentiful, excellent health care, good restaurants, a very reasonable cost of real estate, and not far from decent airports. In addition, many people have come from elsewhere, so they're very welcoming to new folks. We've talked to lots of people who retired to Florida, and ended up leaving after a few years to come to NC. Locally, they're called "half backs".
  • cardoustiecardoustie haha, we don't play for 5's Members Posts: 11,845 ✭✭
    I'm a big fan of the Panhandle area of NW Florida ... we own a lot in an area 20 min East of Destin .. Carillon Beach

Beaches amazing. Solid restaurants. Good golf though would mean joining a club IMO

I would join Camp Creek there which also gets you Shark's Tooth

Now the only negative is that winters are not 85 daily like Southern Florida. Last year we had some freak days in low 30's in early Jan
    Ping G400 LST 11* Oban Revenge 65x
    Ping G400 5w 16.5* Oban Kiyoshi White 65s
    Ping G25 7w 20* Fubuki Tour 73x
    Ping G25 4h 23* Diamana White 92s
    Callaway Apex 5h 26* Mitsu KK 80s
    Ping s55 6-PW Fujikura mci 100s
    Vokey sm2 50* 54* 59* 64* DG s400 Onyx
    Piretti Matera Elite (torched)
  • caniac6caniac6 Members Posts: 2,708 ✭✭
    I would move to Pinehurst, and join the club at Pinehurst.
  • FairwayFredFairwayFred Sponsors Posts: 4,017 ✭✭
    Campbeltown Scotland
    FREE AGENT CLUB HO NO MO!
    Ari Techner
    National Custom Works nationalcustomworks.com
    [email protected]
    IG: @nationalcustom
    Twitter: @WorksNational
    (still a huge club HO)
  • fredmgfredmg Members Posts: 75 ✭✭

I'm leaning towards HHI but interested in Sea Island, Ga and Destin, Fl. Don't know much about either but hear good things. Definitely will join a private club. Any advice would be appreciated.

Only vacationed and played golf in those areas. All are great areas. IMO the cost of living in Destin would be much lower than the other two (no state income tax).
  • BirdieRollBirdieRoll Members Posts: 361 ✭✭
    Plenty of time (years) to change our collective mind but Bluffton, SC has us interested. My better half isn't a fan of the desert and we aren't sold on Florida and all the people so the Low Country may be just right with lots of golf, tennis, fishing, waterways, and a less crowded scene.
  • Matt JMatt J Members Posts: 8,718 ✭✭
    I'm thinking of two homes. One at altitude near good skiing and the other in an arid part of the west with good golf. We'd definitely like to spend the entire summer up in the high country with the cool temps and beautiful long days and I think that would really be the "primary home." But, the mud seasons suck, so you'd have a nice dry place to go. I imagine that as we age we'd eventually end up in the desert full-time. I could see myself going back and forth every couple of weeks at first just because I could. Nothing like skiing one day and playing golf in shirt sleeves the next!
  • az2auaz2au Members Posts: 1,795 ✭✭
    I’d rather die early than live somewhere with high humidity image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />. Not sure if I’m kidding or not but it feels like “not” at this moment.
  • Roadking2003Roadking2003 AustinMembers Posts: 5,301 ✭✭

Anyone suggesting California is crazy. I understand the weather is nice pretty much year round (in some parts), but Real Estate is ridiculously expensive for a retiree.

This is true. $125 k will just barely get you off public assistance.
  • Roadking2003Roadking2003 AustinMembers Posts: 5,301 ✭✭

Florida or Arizona due to the weather. Id have a summer home in Madison, WI though, so that I could hit up Whisting Straights, Blackwolf Run and Trapper's Turn ever summer.

On $125k???? That would never work.
  • Schley Schley Love ya don't tell ya enough! Kingdom of Saudi ArabiaMembers Posts: 1,154 ✭✭
    Pulley wrote:

HackerDave wrote:

moonshine wrote:

Harbor Town is fab....may be cheaper late afternoon...don't be afraid to ask for a deal! May River but I think you have to stay there to play...pick up one of the golf books they print and look for deals. I think Hampton Hall allows outside play, heard it was worth the drive to Bluffton area. Have fun...both of you!

Some guys really like Hampton Hall but I just don't get it. It's OK but kind of beige. I prefer Oldfield and they allow some outside play. It's not far from there. If you can, get out on Berkeley Hall. Played that a couple of weeks ago and loved it!!! T

Off Island the top three are probably Colleton River, Berkeley Hall and Belfair. Right now you can get a lot for FREE and some will pay your first years dues to get out. They are great communities, it's just that people bought on speculation and now have decided not to build a home but the annual dues bill keeps rolling in. You can google the story from the WSJ discussing the plight/opportunity down there.

That of course leads to the next question. How financially stable are these communities? Haven't looked that closely yet because we are a few years further out than you are. Each community has two spectacular golf courses. Plenty of options for golf..... plenty of cost to maintain. I think the annual dues are around $12k a year. Not horrible when you consider the quality of golf. They have reciprocal arrangements in the off season so your golfing options are pretty spectacular.

Traffic can be pretty brutal during the summer (peak tourist season) but in my opinion it is worth it. There is simply so much to do down there. Biking, fishing, tennis, golf...etc

On Island I think Long Cove is the way to go. The houses are fairly reasonable and the golf is one of the best in the state. It's a smaller community so it has only one golf course but it's spectacular (from what I have heard). Have not played it yet. Need to get on that! ;-)

I'm a member at Berkeley Hall & I love it! Two great courses but the members are really down to earth. I am a NPO & live in Beaufort, a 30 minute drive from my driveway to the bag drop.

How do you like BH after 5 years? I'm trying to take 5 years to sample some places as I'm thinking of trying to retire early.

1. want to have primary residence in a tax free state

2. will have two homes probably

3. will go private wherever I go as I hate slow golf now and can't imagine I would like it more when i'm grouchy!

4. thinking of palm springs, SC, NC, Florida, AZ

Outside the box options are Costa Rica, Philippines, Thailand and maybe (not sure) Mexico.
    I lived in Costa Rica for 5 years year round. Gave me a good chuckle to see Palm Springs and CR listed in the same post. Nice work!
  • Boricua GolfBoricua Golf Members Posts: 3,380 ✭✭
    I live in Virginia currently and have land in Florida with plans of building a home there, I retired from the Army, I was blessed by being able to live in different parts of the country, if I could afford it, I would definitely go to Hawaii, loved it there, 9 of my 26 years were spent there (the last 6 of the 8), but everything is very expensive, from groceries (even at the commissary) to cost of living. It is beautiful though, and you have 2 professional tournaments a year (PGA-Sony and LPGA-Lotte), which I caddied in both for 8 of the 9 years I spent in Hawaii, that said, Virginia is expensive as well, but no to that extent since Hawaii is a tourist hot spot.
    Ping G LS Tec 10.5*, Ping Tour 65X, tipped 1", 44.25"
    Ping G 14.5*, Diamana Whiteboard D+ 82X, tipped .5", 42.5"
    Ping G 19*, Tour AD-DI 105X
    Ping iBlade 4-P, Project X 6.5 Flighted
    Ping Glide 50*, 54*, 58* with Project X 6.5 Flighted
    Ping Karsten TR Zing Tour 32.75", built up Pingman Grip (Ping Oslo and Ping Nome TR as backup 33.25" with SS Pistol GT Tour 1.0)
    2017 Pro V1, K-Sigs and Chrome Soft X
  • Schley Schley Love ya don't tell ya enough! Kingdom of Saudi ArabiaMembers Posts: 1,154 ✭✭
    leftyDH04 wrote:

I lived in Costa Rica for 5 years year round. Gave me a good chuckle to see Palm Springs and CR listed in the same post. Nice work!

Your a lucky man then. Love CR and there are quite a few retired expats living down there as you know. Would be a place to go in the winter for sure.
    Most expats are down there trying to save money. If you like the culture, learn the language, and are okay with living the way they do it can be a nice place to be. Crime and particularly violent crime has been on the rise for quite some time. Many of the wealthier developments on the Pacific coast are walled, gated, razor wired, hire security.

You would have to find a particular niche that worked for you. I'd say meeting a gringo that has just moved down is pretty common, meeting one that has been there longer than 3 or 4 years not so much.