regripping clubs

ronaldroettger

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.golfworks.com/article.asp_Q_ai_E_175

thats say it better than i can, hope it helps

That pretty well sums it up. Be sure to use plenty of solvent so that the tape is thoroughly covered. Makes pushing the grip on much easier and if you don't use enough, it can get stuck halfway on. Plug the small hole at the butt end with a tee or your finger and fill the grip up with solvent. Shake it back and forth to wet the inside of the grip thoroughly, and drain the solvent through the vent hole in the butt end of the grip over the grip tape. Control the flow of solvent with the finger over the grip opening. Be sure to get the butt end of the tape very wet, as this is where the grip can get hung up. Push from the butt end to keep from stretching out the grip. Push in one steady motion. Watch out for solvent squirting out the end of the grip!! :tongue:

I got a small plastic bottle to put solvent into from the larger jug. It's pretty handy and keeps things neat and spill-free. $0.99 well spent!

I like to measure the length of the grip and measure the tape so that it is 1/2" shorter than the grip on the shaft. Most grips, like Tour Velvets, I find are about 10.5" in length. I cut a 10.5" piece of grip tape, apply it 10" from the butt of the shaft, and twist the extra 1/2" at the end. Doing it this way also cuts down on wasted tape. 2" tape is the easiest to apply.

A paint pan and a small funnel for catching extra solvent and putting it back in the jug to use again are a good idea. Rubber vise clamp, hooked knife. Tape removal tool if doing lots of grips.

It's easy. Expect to have one or two grips either get stuck or not come out quite right when you are first learning. Good idea to get a couple extra grips at first for such times.

Have fun! (cool)

Regripping a golf club is something I will always do myself. I have been doing this since 1990. All a person needs is a shop bench (or garage bench), a vise, grip clamp, double sided tape, some sort of pan to catch the solvent drippings, and grip solvent. Get a paint pan for the solvent drip pan and the tape/solvent/grip clamp from Dicks. Regripping is so easy that anyone that wants to do this could with very minimal practice.

Driver:  TaylorMade 300 Mini 11.5° (10.2°), Fujikura Ventus Blue 5S Velocore

3W:  TaylorMade M4 15°, Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7S

Hybrid:  TaylorMade Sim2 2 Iron Hybrid 17°, Mitsubishi Tensai AV Raw Blue 80 stiff

Irons:  Mizuno Pro 223 4-PW, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

GW / SW: Mizuno T-22, 52° (bent to 50°)/ 56° (bent to 54°), True Temper S400

LW:  Scratch Golf 1018 forged 58° DS, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

Putter:  Byron Morgan Epic Day custom, Salty MidPlus cork grip

Grips:  BestGrips Augusta Microperf leather slip on

screwed up the grip and bringing it dicks in the morning. thanks for the help but I decided i would rather not wreck my club

Give it another go! :tongue: :ok: :hi:

Check this out for another reference:

http://www.golfsmith.com/cm/display_page.p...6a6ac2a9beb916e

I started gripping my own clubs because I was never satisfied with the way the "Big Box" stores gripped my clubs. Once you get a few under your belt, it's easy. We all goofed up a few on our first attempts. :)

I just gripped 8 clubs last night. (cool)

I just did this for the first time a few weeks ago. I found the best information on Golf Pride's website (even if you're not putting their grips on). They have a video there that shows you how to do it.

Its easy if you have the right tools, most importantly the vice with the club shaft insert holder.

Make sure you use a "liberal" amount of solvent, otherwise the grip may start to "freeze" when you have it halfway on.

Good luck!

ALWAYS make sure to pour on enough solvent! Very Simple to do but it just totally sucks when you don't use enough solvent. Every once in a while, I get sloppy and the grip gets stuck halfway thru and i had to cut it out and start over!

You are SOOoo right :tongue:

I always start out taping the small hole in the end of the grip and then fill it completely up with grip solvent and let it "draw" for 10 minutes so the solvent really gets into the rubber inside the grip.

If you do this, the grip will not get stuck halfway down the shaft when you put on the grip (cool)

If you are serious about installing quality regrips, buy some Brampton's HF-100 solvent. It's non-toxic, odorless, non-flamable and even has lanolin in it for your hands.

That and some quality grip tape (Tape Rite is the most consistent) will give you years of regripping satisfaction.

Water activated grip tape is a pain to take off after about a year.

Volitile or flamable solvents are just silly to use and dry too fast to make the job easy.

-t

And if you are really serious, drop the solvent and grip tape completely and use an air compressor. After countless times regripping with tape and solvent, I finally bought a compressor and regripping has never been easier or less messy. Just put as much masking tape on the shaft as you want to build up, stick the air gun nozzle on the butt of the grip and blow the thing on. No mess and it is a piece of cake to remove.

And if you are really serious, drop the solvent and grip tape completely and use an air compressor. After countless times regripping with tape and solvent, I finally bought a compressor and regripping has never been easier or less messy. Just put as much masking tape on the shaft as you want to build up, stick the air gun nozzle on the butt of the grip and blow the thing on. No mess and it is a piece of cake to remove.

I'm with you 100%. Have been using a compressor for a few months now. Absolutely no comparison. WAY easier to fit and remove grips. No solvent, no mess, maximum adjustability, reuse grips.

Lots of advantages and not one single disadvantage. I honestly believe this will become the standard soon, and then we can finally say goodbye to that awful solvent smell and sticky mess forever!!

919THI 11.5° / 1° open
929hs 20° / dead square
775hs 21° & 24° & 27°
Mizuno JPX 800 Pro 6-pw
MP-T11 50° & 55° / MPT4 61°
Ping Sydney 33"

I'm with you 100%. Have been using a compressor for a few months now. Absolutely no comparison. WAY easier to fit and remove grips. No solvent, no mess, maximum adjustability, reuse grips.

Lots of advantages and not one single disadvantage. I honestly believe this will become the standard soon, and then we can finally say goodbye to that awful solvent smell and sticky mess forever!!

one disadvantage is the higher initial cost. does not pay for me since i maybe do only 10-20 grips a year.

but it sure is a nice way to do grips.

Installing grips with air does not work on all grip types - though we do it on demo clubs we do not do it on customer clubs.

I see this all season - people who installed grips that were not sticky enough by themselves to hold the shaft well inside. They twist over the course of the season.

Be aware that installing a .580 core grip on a .600 shaft with a soft grip will work fine, with a hard grip will be risky. Installing a .600 core grip on a .600 diameter shaft will require one layer of build up tape and may still slip regardless of the grip style.

-t

Installing grips with air does not work on all grip types - though we do it on demo clubs we do not do it on customer clubs.

I see this all season - people who installed grips that were not sticky enough by themselves to hold the shaft well inside. They twist over the course of the season.

Be aware that installing a .580 core grip on a .600 shaft with a soft grip will work fine, with a hard grip will be risky. Installing a .600 core grip on a .600 diameter shaft will require one layer of build up tape and may still slip regardless of the grip style.

-t

That really surprises me. I have not had a single problem with any Golf Pride, Lamkin or Winn grips. What kind of grips are you using? And that you can't use a .600 grip on a .600 shaft without build-up tape is pretty obvious. You shouldn't really do that with solvent either.

I always use the same amount of tape I would have used with solvent, but with plain matt masking tape instead of double sided adhesive tape. All grips are designed for use with at least one layer of tape.

Never had any issues with twisting. Most of the glue is pushed out of the grip anyway when using solvent. So I doubt that this thin layer of glue makes that much difference to the adhesion of the grip. Maybe others can comment.

919THI 11.5° / 1° open
929hs 20° / dead square
775hs 21° & 24° & 27°
Mizuno JPX 800 Pro 6-pw
Ping Sydney 33"

Hmm, so when using an air compressor to install, you don't use adhesive tape? I might have to try this. I used a compressor to blow off my old grips, but bubbled a couple, so it turned me off it a bit.

Yep, I have found a good way that almost always works. Just wrap a bath towel tightly around the grip and set the compressor to around 90 psi. Use VERY gentle taps on the compressor gun and hold the grip tight. When you feel areas of the grip starting to let go, twist with the towel. Once the bond has been broken completely, you can turn the pressure down a bit, remove the towel and they just slide off!!

I have had around 90% success with this approach. I also bought a pistol-like attachment with a long thin blunted needle (around 3 or 4 mm outer diameter and 8 inches long) that slides through the hole in the top of the grip, provides an air tight seal and then penetrates about 7 inches down the shaft. That has helped a lot with removal.

Hope this helps..

919THI 11.5° / 1° open
929hs 20° / dead square
775hs 21° & 24° & 27°
Mizuno JPX 800 Pro 6-pw
Ping Sydney 33"

And that you can't use a .600 grip on a .600 shaft without build-up tape is pretty obvious. You shouldn't really do that with solvent either.

I guess I don't understand this comment. Grip tape is used with solvent on .600 core with .600 shafts for a standard sized grip - not buildup tape.

As for what grips I've removed that were twisted, it's been virtually all the "hard body" grips - Winns, Lamkins and others.

We regrip literally thousands of clubs each season, and in the past three years or so as gripping with air has become more common, we've been seeing more and more twisted grips as a result.

Just stating the facts.

-t

And that you can't use a .600 grip on a .600 shaft without build-up tape is pretty obvious. You shouldn't really do that with solvent either.

I guess I don't understand this comment. Grip tape is used with solvent on .600 core with .600 shafts for a standard sized grip - not buildup tape.

As for what grips I've removed that were twisted, it's been virtually all the "hard body" grips - Winns, Lamkins and others.

We regrip literally thousands of clubs each season, and in the past three years or so as gripping with air has become more common, we've been seeing more and more twisted grips as a result.

Just stating the facts.

-t

Yeah I take your point. All I was saying is that a .600 grip on a .600 shaft with just one layer of grip tape is going to be undersized. I guess you can't argue with experience on the twisting thing. Maybe I just got lucky. Anyway, one quick puff of the air gun will allow the grips to be straightened right out.

919THI 11.5° / 1° open
929hs 20° / dead square
775hs 21° & 24° & 27°
Mizuno JPX 800 Pro 6-pw
Ping Sydney 33"

A .600 core grip a .600 diameter shaft with one layer of tape (typically the grip tape) is going to be men's standard size.

This is the designed installation for a .600 core grip.

What makes you think this will be undersized?

A .580 core grip on a .580 diameter shaft with one layer of tape (again the grip tape typically) will also result in a men's standard grip. The .580 core grip has thicker walls than the .600 core grip.

A .580 core grip on a .600 diameter shaft with one layer of tape will be +0.020" because of these thicker walls.

If your buildup tape is 0.0035", then one layer will be 0.007" so adding buildup tape will increase the size of the finished grip slightly. +1/64 takes two layers of standard build up tape if you use the matching core size on the matching shaft diameter.

It's not rocket science, it's just math.

-t

A .600 core grip a .600 diameter shaft with one layer of tape (typically the grip tape) is going to be men's standard size.

This is the designed installation for a .600 core grip.

What makes you think this will be undersized?

A .580 core grip on a .580 diameter shaft with one layer of tape (again the grip tape typically) will also result in a men's standard grip. The .580 core grip has thicker walls than the .600 core grip.

A .580 core grip on a .600 diameter shaft with one layer of tape will be +0.020" because of these thicker walls.

If your buildup tape is 0.0035", then one layer will be 0.007" so adding buildup tape will increase the size of the finished grip slightly. +1/64 takes two layers of standard build up tape if you use the matching core size on the matching shaft diameter.

It's not rocket science, it's just math.

-t

Heh, calm down there! I was taught by an old hand and very experienced clubmaker that a .580 grip on a .600 shaft produces a men's standard grip with a single layer of grip tape. I have also seen this on many websites. I recently tried a .600 grip on a .600 shaft and it felt super thin. I doubt many players would be comfortable with such a thin grip.

I guess it all depends on how you define "standard".

919THI 11.5° / 1° open
929hs 20° / dead square
775hs 21° & 24° & 27°
Mizuno JPX 800 Pro 6-pw
Ping Sydney 33"

I'm perfectly calm.

You are simply mistaken regardless of the source of your information.

There is a size for Men's Standard in grips, it's .900" measured 2" down from the butt of the grip.

Just because some manufactures choose to put .580 core grips on .600 diameter shafts does not change the fact that there is a standard size for grips, and it's the same core size on the same shaft diameter.

All of these result in a men's standard finished diameter

.560 on .560

.580 on .580

.600 on .600

.685 on .685

This is simple fact - not a discussion or a debate, sorry.

-t

I'm perfectly calm.

You are simply mistaken regardless of the source of your information.

There is a size for Men's Standard in grips, it's .900" measured 2" down from the butt of the grip.

Just because some manufactures choose to put .580 core grips on .600 diameter shafts does not change the fact that there is a standard size for grips, and it's the same core size on the same shaft diameter.

All of these result in a men's standard finished diameter

.560 on .560

.580 on .580

.600 on .600

.685 on .685

This is simple fact - not a discussion or a debate, sorry.

-t

You can quote numbers to me all day. I am not looking for an argument. I accept your theory and reasoning completely, even with your school teacher-like tone ;-).

However, everyone I know is used to or prefers the feel of the slightly thicker grip. Also, almost all OEM clubs I have ever seen, regripped or played have 580 grips on 600 shafts.

Seems to me that most people playing OEM gear (probably around 90% of all golfers) would find 600 grips on 600 shaft a little thin, based on the fact they have never really used grips that thin.

I guess the guys you regrip for are used to using thin grips. Fair enough. As long as your customers are happy with the grips, I guess it's all good.

Seems to me this topic is neither fact nor simple - and debate is what this whole site is about!

919THI 11.5° / 1° open
929hs 20° / dead square
775hs 21° & 24° & 27°
Mizuno JPX 800 Pro 6-pw
Ping Sydney 33"