Competitors bags that scare you.

outwardnineoutwardnine Members Posts: 383
When you roll up in a competition, which type of players bag gives you the most concern?

For me its one of the following

1. Pencil bag with 10 year old pings and a beat up 905r or similar. No hybrids and a battered old putter.

2. Blades with a brown spot on the face. The latest driver with a £300 shaft. Wedges with hardly any grooves left.

Both of these give me that "oh sh*t" feeling.

What is it for you?

Comments

• ntogolfntogolf Members Posts: 914 ✭✭✭✭✭
    +1 > #2. Oh sh** that's me.
    My Bag 2019

Driver - ???
    Fairway Woods - Cobra King (3/5)
    Irons - Nike Vapor Pro Combo
    Wedges - Nike Engage 50, 54, 58
    Putter - Piretti Cottonwood II
  • powerfade_mallerpowerfade_maller Members Posts: 294
    old ugly 3 wood with a brand new expensive shaft... only ballers do that.
  • outwardnineoutwardnine Members Posts: 383
    My old boss used to say. "never bet with anyone that carries a one iron or has his name embroidered on his bag"!
  • boxerjoe2011boxerjoe2011 Oh Billy!!! Members Posts: 959 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have never been imitated, but in high school tournaments, walking down the range you definitely noticed the players using a 2 iron or yes, brown spots directly on the sweet spot. You just reminded yourself you can't control how they play and you have to focus on your game and block out the distractions.
  • sharkiesjsharkiesj Members Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Brown spots on the faces of irons are a concern. Same with a worn spot on a putter. Squinty eyes and bad teeth ....that guy's goin low..
  • mshillsmshills T-I-G-E-R-S! Fight Tigers, fight dammit, FIGHT FIGHT! Pittsburgh - South HillsMembers Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

When you roll up in a competition, which type of players bag gives you the most concern?

For me its one of the following

1. Pencil bag with 10 year old pings and a beat up 905r or similar. No hybrids and a battered old putter.

2. Blades with a brown spot on the face. The latest driver with a £300 shaft. Wedges with hardly any grooves left.

Both of these give me that "oh sh*t" feeling.

What is it for you?

It was never a 905R (too new...), but when I was caddying, those were the bags of guest players I'd make a bee-line for! image/biggrin.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':D' />
    Callaway Big Bertha Alpha 8 deg
    TEE E8 Beta 16.5 deg
    Callaway Big Bertha V Series Heavenwood
    TEE CB Pro 3h 21 deg
    Titleist 735.CM 4-PW, S300
    Titleist Vokey 54.14, 58.08
    Dave Curry Big Oak custom center shaft
    Custom Eliott carry bag, waxed canvas and leather
  • NUSZANUSZA Members Posts: 12
    Ping eye 2 irons. Those things are my kryptonite
  • Swisstrader98Swisstrader98 Members Posts: 3,555 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Mackenzie golf bag...although some posers w Mackenzie's as well:)
  • sheppy335sheppy335 TMAG Junkie Members Posts: 6,387 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    those are the guys the get me excited cause i want to play with them you will learn alot and have way more fun. Even if they beat you!
    TM M3 440 TP 10 Mitsubishi Kai'li
    TM M2 Tour 15 Kuro Kage
    TM M1 Tour 18 Aldila RIP Alpha 6
    TM TP UDI 2 iron 18 UST Recoil 110
    TM TP UDI 3 iron 20 Paderson KINETXX 950
    TM RSi TP UDI 4 iron 23 Aldila Trinity 65
    TM P790 6,7 Nippon Modus 3 130
    TM P790 Black 8-PW Nippon Modus 3 130
    TM xFT TP 50 Nippon Pro WV115
    TM Milled Grind Black Wedge 54 Nippon Pro Black WV115
    TM ATV HP 58 Nippon Pro WV115
    TM Rossa Ghost Tour AGSI+ FO-74

I drop the 2 iron or one of the other UDI's based on course.
  • Fran C.Fran C. Play it as it lies Members Posts: 334
    edited Oct 17, 2012 #11
    Old stand bag, all black and you can't even recognize the brand. Old mizuno/Ben Hogan blades with brown marks in the sweet spot, old and rusty titleist wedges waaaaaay older than original spin milled, a normal putter(not belly or long, just normal) with an old grip and a good driver and woods 3 or 4 years older. And a slow and careless walk in the fairway.

This guy know what he like and don't change clubs when he find something that makes him comfortable, don't care about the looks and can hit any type of shot.

DO NOT PLAY FOR MONEY WITH THIS MACHO ALFA, HE SMELLS BLOOD (well, actually money) and he would get it as soon as possible
  • Kadin 25Kadin 25 BIG K Members, Featured Writer Posts: 6,652
    The only bag that scares me are the ones with a bumper sticker that state "Guns don't kill people, I do"

Seriously the worn spots are a dead giveaway you have yourself a player amongst the mix.

Featured Writer For GolfWRX.com
                    Editor Product Reviews
                    Product Tester/Review Panel
                    Winner TMag Naples Trip 2012
                    See ya on the green...Kadin

• Willie MalayWillie Malay Members Posts: 2,667 ✭✭
    I don't really look at other peoples bags. I bet you are one of those people that go to the grocery store and looking in other people's carts. I hate that! Quit it!! image/wink.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' />
  • yumbrowniesyumbrownies Relax, don't worry, have a homebrew Lefty Boomers Posts: 283 ✭✭
    975J with a ripped up headcover. No fairway woods, just a 2 iron. Old blades (maybe Titleist MBs, Hogans, or old Mizunos) and cleveland 588s with worn faces. All in a beat up old ping hoofer that looks like it'll fall apart if you look at it the wrong way.

Titleist 983K 9.5* / Fujikura Speeder S
    Taylormade V-Steel 15* / GD YS-6 S
    Adams Idea Pro A12 20* / Matrix Ozik Altus S
    Titleist DCI 990 3-PW DG S300
    Ping M/B 54*
    Cleveland 588 60*
    Ping Anser 4

• DickieThonDickieThon Members Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm still trying to figure out many years/balls it takes to get that brown spot on irons.
  • goplutusgoplutus Members Posts: 377
    i'd probably be more scared of a young fit guy with 3 hybrids more than a guy with a blade 3 iron. the golfer who knows his limits is tougher to beat than the one who'll give you a few holes.
  • WoodridgeWoodridge Earl of Aberdovey ChicagolandMembers Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    DickieThon wrote:

I'm still trying to figure out many years/balls it takes to get that brown spot on irons.

I have a couple sets of irons like that.....bought on Ebay. image/taunt.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':taunt:' /> .... Based on the responses, I could put together a heck of a 'intimidation' bag....But, it would only take a couple of holes (or swings) to see through me.

As for my reply.....

Old guys wearing fingerless gloves and who carry a chipper. I've never had any luck against players like that.
    Wilson Sam Snead Blue Ridge Driver
    Wilson Sam Snead Blue Ridge 3 wood
    Wilson Sam Snead Blue Ridge 4 wood
    Ram Dave Hill 'Spade Blade' 2-PW
    Pederson SW
    Titleist Bulls Eye 'bullet'

"Let's take a drive, and run with the dogs tonight in Suburbia"
  • i am taylor(made)i am taylor(made) Members Posts: 353
    i dont carry hybrids and i have old blade irons including a 2 iron. Don't think anyone would be scared of me.
  • finalistfinalist MASHED POTATO! Members Posts: 5,411 ✭✭
    older blades coupled with a newer driver and a weather beaten, simple bag.

I use to see good players with old faded ping bags (typically blue or black with the brown leather portions) with Mizunos and a Titleist 983K. Dressed more for a pizza outing with family this player would casually shoot something in the low 70s every time.
    Many Byron Putters
    Scratch Don Whites
    Scratch Jeff McCoys
    WITB Link
  • KjBowenKjBowen Rhode IslandMembers Posts: 5,184 BST Banned
    My biggest concern is the guy with blades and a putter that's clearly many years old
    Driver - Titleist 915 D2 - 9.5° - Diamana 73 S
    Fairway - TaylorMade RBZ - 15° - Speeder EVO
    Hybrid - Taylormade M1 - 17°
    Driving Iron - PING G15 - 18.5° - Aldila Proto by You - 95S
    Irons - PING G25 - 4 - PW - UW
    Wedge - Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind 58*
    Putter - Cameron Newport 2 custom
  • Animal ChinAnimal Chin Members Posts: 415 ✭✭
    Even worse, the 17 year old with a year old set of irons with the dime sized brown spots and a 910 with a wear spot in the face. Don't bet against that kid.
  • jfzhorsemanjfzhorseman Members Posts: 1,099 ✭✭
    Foot Joy rain gear and worn in shoes with new spikes,
  • gqjeffgqjeff Members Posts: 1,614 ✭✭
    Having wrestled D1 in college I have to say being intimidated on the golf course usually aint happening LOL....
  • Chief IlliniwekChief Illiniwek Members Posts: 2,762 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    gqjeff wrote:

Having wrestled D1 in college I have to say being intimidated on the golf course usually aint happening LOL....

Passive brag... Sorry couldn't help it haha!
  • Animal ChinAnimal Chin Members Posts: 415 ✭✭
    gqjeff wrote:

What if they wanted to strip down and roll around with you?

gqjeff wrote:

Its all good LOL... Seriously its just golf if someones bag scares you then well.. **** I don't know what to tell you... Its the Indian not the arrow anyways... If you got game you could shot good with Kmart clubs...

gqjeff wrote:

What if they wanted to strip down and roll around with you?

Key word here is if THEY wanted to because I know I am not LOL....
  • ProjectXProjectX I can a hit lob wedge 150...but only from a greenside bunker Members Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Anyone with a funky putting stance/funky putter. That means you A. have practiced enough to screw around with a non-conventional grip, stance or putter and B. you are good enough and give a crap enough to practice a funky stance grip or putter.

If the guy is on the practice green going left hand low or face on putting I'm getting it handed to me.
    Cobra F9 Speedback Driver 9* Diamana D+ LTD 70 TX
    Cobra F9 Tour Fairway 16.5* Diamana D+ LTD 90 TX
    Mizuno MP 18 MMC Fli-Hi 3-5 KBS Tour C Taper X
    Mizuno MP 18 SC 6-9 KBS Tour C-Taper X
    Titleist Vokey SM7 Raw 46F, 50F, 54F & 60D KBS Tour C-Taper X
    Evnroll ER5 Hatchback
    Titleist Pro V1x...but testing every urethane ball on the market

gqjeff wrote:

I may be concerned about someone with a Illini bag though. If you have balls to use a bag from that school you maybe LOCO... LOL
  • Chief IlliniwekChief Illiniwek Members Posts: 2,762 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey we produce tour talent! Lots of NFL first rounders lately, some good NBA talent... We just aren't good at winning things :-)
  • 907isTerrible907isTerrible Members Posts: 93
    You guys are insane. The one I'm terrified of is the All-white Taylormade staff bag with all R11s/RBZ Non-TP Woods and R11s irons.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file