Competitors bags that scare you.

Comments

• tesuquegolfertesuquegolfer Members Posts: 1,661
    College players hitting stinger 2 irons into 15mph headwind. I played in the state match play qualifier a few years ago and while warming up I hear all of these college guys talking about similar situations that they played and how it was going to be a 2 iron day. So, they start smashing low stingers into a pretty strong headwind. They all seemed full of confidence and it was obvious that they had played tons of highly competitive tournaments. My thought was, "What the **** am I doing here?" Well, I was pretty much out of it from the start with that lack of confidence. The pro at my course used to say beware the guy with dirty shoes and tanned legs. This guy, by the way, plays in Birkenstock sandals and doesn't look much like the typical pro but will take your money all day long!
  • outwardnineoutwardnine Members Posts: 383
    I'm glad this thread has brought out your inner fears. If I ever come up against any of you in a tourney I'll know what to do to mess with your heads big time......
  • ShrapnacShrapnac Cinderella Story Members Posts: 1,312
    edited Oct 18, 2012 #94
    The only competitor bag that scares me is the one that I see when the old guy with the short shorts on sits down in his cart.

Nightmares.

Edit: I should add that I have a set of old Mizuno irons with brown spots on the faces and I can't break 100. Thanks, BST!
    Cobra King F6+, Matrix Black Tie 65M4
    Callaway X Utility Prototype 21*, Project X PXI 6.0
    Adams XTD 3-PW, KBS C Taper 90
    Scratch 8620 D/S 50*, 56*, 60*, TrueTemper Dynamic Gold S300
    Bettinardi SS15
    Srixon Q Star Tour
  • sblack5sblack5 Long Armed Monster Members Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    The guy that only brought A sleeve of balls to play the whole round with and only brought that many because he has to switch them out every 5 or 6 holes because the covers are getting eaten.....not scared.....just know that no matter what i hit there is no way to get in this guys head
    hit is with so much authority
    that when you find it
    and it sees you, it is trembling.
  • BeatupfenderBeatupfender Members Posts: 837
    Gear doesn't do much once you see the guy take a swing. It can be even more intimidating to see an average looking schmoe schlepping average gear rip a Top Flite 300+ yds down a fairway, chip in from 100 yds to less than a foot, or hole out a putt from 40 ft.
  • xerproxerpro Is it weird that my 3 wood has lower loft than my driver? Members Posts: 2,306 ✭✭
    edited Oct 18, 2012 #97
    bob86gn wrote:

My buddy always says, never bet a guy with 4 wedges. He probably knows how to use them.

Thats me....47, 51, 55, 59

And for what its worth, I have good ball striking days, and decent putting days and score well...If my swing is off, the wedges usually save me....Your buddy is a smart man....Everyone I know with 4 wedges is either long (not me) or a scrambler (sometimes me)
    Taylormade M4 9.5* AD-GP 6
    Taylormade m2 15* Motore Speeder 7.2TSX
    R15 21* Speeder 869X
    Adams XTD 5-PW Aldila Rip Tour 115
    MD4 52/58 MD3 64
    OG Scotty Cameron Futura 33"
  • MatthewNGolfMatthewNGolf Members Posts: 122
    DickieThon wrote:

I'm still trying to figure out many years/balls it takes to get that brown spot on irons.

I generally get them after 4 or 5 months of having a club. Really depends on how well you take care of them, how many balls you hit, etc. I generally hit about 500-800 balls a day
  • somaplrsomaplr Vaya con Dios, Brah Members Posts: 3,974
    DickieThon wrote:
    I'm still trying to figure out many years/balls it takes to get that brown spot on irons.
    I generally get them after 4 or 5 months of having a club. Really depends on how well you take care of them, how many balls you hit, etc. I generally hit about 500-800 balls a day

Wait...what?????

Are you retired?
    Cobra LTD Pro Matrix Ozik 75M4 Black Tie Xflex
    TaylorMade TP R15 3W Fuji Speeder TS 8.3 Xflex
    TaylorMade TP R15 20* Fuji Speeder 869 TS Xflex
    Mizuno JPX-900 Tour 4-PW KBS CTaper Xflex
    Mizuno T7 50,54,58 KBS CTaper Xflex
    OdysseyWorks 38" 2 Ball Fang
  • SweetReleaseSweetRelease Members Posts: 278
    I got paired with a guy last week that had a 10 year old Callaway driver and eye 2 irons. No fairway woods or hybrids and an ancient looking ping putter. Was a really friendly genuine person. All day long whether he hit a good or bad shot he never commented and kept a smile on his face. I shot a 40 and was losing almost every hole to him. Shook my hand at the end of our 9 hole round and said thanks for the enjoyable afternoon.
  • Swamp TrashSwamp Trash Members Posts: 33
    mattyblade wrote:

I'm scared of the guy who tees up a blade 2 iron or 3 wood on the first tee. A smart golfer is dangerous...

Best player I know doesn't even have a driver. He tees off with a persimmon 3-wood and kills everybody off the tee. Then he'll hit a 7-iron onto the green with backspin and just give you this look, like he had a three-way with your wife and mom the night before.
  • xerproxerpro Is it weird that my 3 wood has lower loft than my driver? Members Posts: 2,306 ✭✭
    T-W wrote:

Older blade or players cavity irons with new grips and brown spots on the face usually gaurantees a pretty good player.

Only 2 things scare me....Not the guy with brown spots on his irons, but the ones with brown spots on his pants...Not riding with that guy....

And #2 is my bag....I never practice, I can count on 1 hand the number of times I have hit range balls in 2 years, and since I work for a manufacturer, my bag is a swinging gate, nothing stays in for too long....Sometimes its intimidating to play with some top level ams or other good players, knowing that some clubs in your bag have no history with you, and maybe have been hit 4 or 5 times ever....

But on topic, never trust a guy with a leather bag, circa 1970 and a bottle of black velvet....Worst hustle ever...Lost my rent money to that guy
    Taylormade M4 9.5* AD-GP 6
    Taylormade m2 15* Motore Speeder 7.2TSX
    R15 21* Speeder 869X
    Adams XTD 5-PW Aldila Rip Tour 115
    MD4 52/58 MD3 64
    OG Scotty Cameron Futura 33"
  • smackygolfsmackygolf Banned Posts: 1,501

scooterhd2 wrote:

Sd4xD.jpg

When i see irons with a spot there i say to myself : "self, that person hits every shot a little thin" and that's about it. The bags that scare me are the ones that have a club or shaft I've never heard of because I know them all, I think

Good observation. One problem....That's a pic of Tiger's 8-iron. You're a bad judge of where the sweet spot is.
  • smackygolfsmackygolf Banned Posts: 1,501
    xerpro wrote:

T-W wrote:

Older blade or players cavity irons with new grips and brown spots on the face usually gaurantees a pretty good player.

Only 2 things scare me....Not the guy with brown spots on his irons, but the ones with brown spots on his pants...Not riding with that guy....

And #2 is my bag....I never practice, I can count on 1 hand the number of times I have hit range balls in 2 years, and since I work for a manufacturer, my bag is a swinging gate, nothing stays in for too long....Sometimes its intimidating to play with some top level ams or other good players, knowing that some clubs in your bag have no history with you, and maybe have been hit 4 or 5 times ever....

But on topic, never trust a guy with a leather bag, circa 1970 and a bottle of black velvet....Worst hustle ever...Lost my rent money to that guy

I'm with you. I went from a "good" player to a "decent" player the moment I started in the biz. How far do I hit an 8 iron? No idea--this is my 5th set this year. Played 1 set for 12 years, now I have at least 4 a year. Who the **** knows if I can cut this 6 iron off of this lie? I've never tried. Thankfully, my GSS has a sweet spot where I've completely flattened the mill marks. If I couldn't putt, I'd be a 15 HDCP.
  • Judge SmailsJudge Smails Members Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Great topic!

I will say that I have been most surprised by the players I least expected, whether it's (1) the guy whose equipment doesn't tell you anything because it's random in age and type- this guys doesn't care about clubs like we do, but knows how to use HIS clubs well; or (2) the old guy who hits fairways and greens all day, never flubs a chip or wastes a shot, and scores an unassuming even par.

With that said, I whole heartedly agree that I do fear the guy with the old Hoofer bag, some kind of Mizuno irons that aren't a current model and newer driver with a $$ shaft. Practical things like new grips, as mentioned, or a large dirty white towel carelessly hanging over the bag are a sign too.
    915D3 10.5 AD DI 7x
    Nike Covert Tour Issue Deep Face 15* BB 83x
    VR LTD Proto 19* VTS 8x Black
    2011 TM MC Forged 4/5-PW S400 Tour Issue, 712U 3 PXi 6.0
    Vokey 52* proto , Vokey 456.14 55* and Vokey 2015 Proto V grind w/ P grind trailing edge
    Kenny Giannini G2 Chubby
  • CallawayLeftyCallawayLefty Lefty Boomers Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    smackygolf wrote:

scooterhd2 wrote:

Sd4xD.jpg

When i see irons with a spot there i say to myself : "self, that person hits every shot a little thin" and that's about it. The bags that scare me are the ones that have a club or shaft I've never heard of because I know them all, I think

Good observation. One problem....That's a pic of Tiger's 8-iron. You're a bad judge of where the sweet spot is.

Looks about a groove thin. You're not going to win championships and shoot 62 in US Opens hitting it a groove thin.

-Johnny Miller
  • dantagdantag Members Posts: 196

gqjeff wrote:

Having wrestled D1 in college I have to say being intimidated on the golf course usually aint happening LOL....

What if they wanted to strip down and roll around with you?
    Good one!
  • Pack7483Pack7483 Members Posts: 638 ✭✭
    Golfer who carries his Ping Hoofer bag and has about 10 well used gloves attached all the way up the carry strap.
  • Swamp TrashSwamp Trash Members Posts: 33
    Also beware the guy with an entire set of right-handed clubs, but a left-handed putter. As I learned the other day.
  • Oilman83Oilman83 Houston, TXMembers Posts: 835 BST Banned

gqjeff wrote:

Having wrestled D1 in college I have to say being intimidated on the golf course usually aint happening LOL....

Passive brag... Sorry couldn't help it haha!

+1
  • kekoakekoa ClubWRX Posts: 9,063 ClubWRX
    I say oh sh*t everytime I see Pure745's bag. I normally just pay him on the 1st tee. image/sad.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':(' />
  • MatthewNGolfMatthewNGolf Members Posts: 122
    somaplr wrote:

DickieThon wrote:

Wait...what?????

Are you retired?

I'm 18.
  • BladeBoyBladeBoy Members Posts: 68

smackygolf wrote:

scooterhd2 wrote:

Sd4xD.jpg

Looks about a groove thin. You're not going to win championships and shoot 62 in US Opens hitting it a groove thin.

-Johnny Miller

YES!
  • Thug HunterThug Hunter Members Posts: 2,615 ✭✭
    edited Oct 18, 2012 #114

Gear doesn't do much once you see the guy take a swing. It can be even more intimidating to see an average looking schmoe schlepping average gear rip a Top Flite 300+ yds down a fairway, chip in from 100 yds to less than a foot, or hole out a putt from 40 ft.

I would not be too intimidated by someone that is leaving themselves a 40' putt on their approach. BTW, making a 40 footer has more to do with luck than skill.
    WITB Link

Titleist 915 8.5º D3 Rogue Black 70X
    Titleist 915F 16.5º Rogue Black 70X
    Titleist 816 H2 21º Diamana 70S
    Titleist 712 AP2 3-PW S300
    Titleist SM6 52º & 58º Jet Black
    Odyssey Black Series Tour Design #2 or #8
    Under Armour Storm Match Play stand bag (Blue Marker)
  • benthegolferbenthegolfer Members Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Great...I fit half of these and most of you could probably wipe the floor with me these days, now I gotta work on my game even more to hold up to the stereotypes image/sad.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':(' /> That's an old hoofer bag, and the putter is 15 years old. The hybrid I put in his year and I struggle with it, not sure if it's going to stay or not.

100_2244.jpg

Oh no, you are one of them. Stay away.

Taylormade M3 460 Tour Issue 9.5 Project X HZDRUS T1100 65 6.5
    Titleist 915Fd 13.5 Fujikura Speeder Evolution 757 Stiff
    Ping G400 17 Fujikura Speeder Evolution 869X
    Titleist AP2 718 4-PW KBS Tour C-TAPER 125 S+
    Titleist Vokey SM7 50.12F KBS Tour C-TAPER 125 S+
    Titleist Vokey SM7 56.10S Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400
    Titleist Vokey SM7 60.10S Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400
    Odyssey RSX Milled #7
    ProV1x

• MadGolfer76MadGolfer76 Admiration is the state furthest from understanding. Members Posts: 20,084 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Fear = pigeon. No wonder people get beat.
    Titleist 915D3 9.5
    Titleist 917Fd @ 14.25
    Mizuno Clk 19, 22
    Titleist 716mb 4-Pw
    Vokey SM7 52, 58
    Bettinardi Studio Stock 8
    Titleist ProV1

• Pure745Pure745 CPC #15 Members Posts: 11,487 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    kekoa wrote:

I say oh sh*t everytime I see Pure745's bag. I normally just pay him on the 1st tee. image/sad.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':(' />

Hhahaah!! Stop trying to hustle me man!! You're more blood thirsty than Finalist!
    [font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Titleist TS3 8.5 - Fujikura TR7
    Titleist 917F2 15 - Fujikura Speeder 857 Evo2 Proto
    Mizuno 919T - KBS CTL
    Mizuno S18 46/50
    [/font]

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Vokey 54V/60V
    Scotty Cameron 009 Tool Box

Instagram: @pure745 https://www.instagram.com/pure745/[/font]
  • EmprosEmpros Members Posts: 453
    BTW, making a 40 footer has more to do with luck than skill.

Shrug. I guess better players are just luckier, then...
  • HackerVanceHackerVance Members Posts: 1,051
    I would be afraid of anyone that showed up with any variety of mp5 in his bag. Because an mp5 isnt a variety of old Mizuno club, its an H&K submachine gun.
  • Thug HunterThug Hunter Members Posts: 2,615 ✭✭
    Empros wrote:

BTW, making a 40 footer has more to do with luck than skill.

Shrug. I guess better players are just luckier, then...

As previously stated, better players don't leave themselves with 40 footers on a regular basis so luck isn't as big a factor in the game.
    WITB Link

Titleist 915 8.5º D3 Rogue Black 70X
    Titleist 915F 16.5º Rogue Black 70X
    Titleist 816 H2 21º Diamana 70S
    Titleist 712 AP2 3-PW S300
    Titleist SM6 52º & 58º Jet Black
    Odyssey Black Series Tour Design #2 or #8
    Under Armour Storm Match Play stand bag (Blue Marker)
  • Animal ChinAnimal Chin Members Posts: 415 ✭✭

somaplr wrote:

DickieThon wrote:

Wait...what?????

Are you retired?

I'm 18.

No you don't. Seriously. You don't. The #1 junior in the country doesn't even do that and he's the #1 junior in the country.

Even if you did, which, you don't, you're doing something wrong.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file